Lt. Dimitry Badinov

What non-trek movies have you watched lately?

2,726 posts in this topic

la-et-hc-get-out-horror-peele-20161004-s

Just got back from "Get Out."

It's an interesting mix of thriller and racial satire where the thriller aspects are mixed with a sort of retro, pre-Rosa Parks racism and white envy. It's more tense than "jump from your seat" scary to me but the trips to "the sunken place" are particularly harrowing.

99% on RT and I don't have complaint enough to dispute that.

Next up, "Logan" early Friday morning. Can't wait.

Edited by prometheus59650

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIWkNko_7OjMBwGBRquCs

Logan.

Bleak. Earns its blood-soaked "R," in pretty much every frame, and is easily the best Wolverine film...that you're probably ever to see.Patrick Stewart is also stellar and their interplay as what amounts to father and son with subscriptions rather than issues is sometimes funny, occasionally poignant, and plays to the atmosphere of the film.

Highly recommended, but know that this has more in common with a film like Mad Max than anything Marvel does.

On 3/3/2017 at 2:46 PM, prometheus59650 said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIWkNko_7OjMBwGBRquCs

Logan.

Bleak. Earns its blood-soaked "R," in pretty much every frame, and is easily the best Wolverine film...that you're probably ever to see.Patrick Stewart is also stellar and their interplay as what amounts to father and son with subscriptions rather than issues is sometimes funny, occasionally poignant, and plays to the atmosphere of the film.

Highly recommended, but know that this has more in common with a film like Mad Max than anything Marvel does.

^
This, and yeah, everything Prometheus said.   I told another friend recently that it has more in common with George Miller's Mad Max movies than the previous XM movies (and that's a very GOOD thing, by the way...).

"Rules Don't Apply."  Warren Beatty hasn't made a film in 15 years, and hasn't directed one since 1998's "Bulworth," only acting in one film since that feature. His return behind the camera (and in front) is a rather mediocre romantic comedy/drama with Beatty turning in a decent performance as the older and crazier version of the mysterious real-life billionaire and recluse, Howard Hughes.  Hughes is good fodder for movies, because he is such a strange character, a man who was charismatic, eccentric, and a major public figure in his younger days that disappeared from the public eye as his own mental illnesses took hold of him.  As Martin Scorses already made a pretty good film about Hughes younger days and his early descent into his OCD and mental decline, Beatty could've actually made an interesting film about his later years as a billionaire recluse with paranoia and clear mental issues that has no one to tell him no...based on his performance here, he might've done a good job of it. But he shoe-horned in a romantic plot-line that is vastly less interesting, with stars that a likable enough but don't have much to them, and Beatty's version of Hughes ends up as a strange backdrop to the whole thing.  Just seems like he relegated himself to the background when he is playing the most interesting character.  The film might've even worked if it was focused less on the romance, and more on the people working under Hughes fulfilling his increasingly strange demands. A shame, just ends up a bit of a hollow experience in the end.

Family movie night, popped in "Finding Nemo." Kid enjoyed it and I was still getting a tad choked up in parts, as Pixar tends to do to people. 

1 hour ago, prometheus59650 said:

Agree with your blog all around. :) I really liked the movie and Peele is gifted as hell.

I'm really curious as to what's next for him as a writer/director... count me onboard, whatever it is. 

1 minute ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I'm really curious as to what's next for him as a writer/director... count me onboard, whatever it is. 

There's a subtlety to even the "in your face" social commentary. It, like Logan, deserves multiple viewings.

Just now, prometheus59650 said:

There's a subtlety to even the "in your face" social commentary. It, like Logan, deserves multiple viewings.

Agreed.

It's laced with deeper meanings, subtle and sledghammered.

Moonlight. A poetic film that chronicles three stages in the life of a black kid (eventually teen and adult in each respective chapter) who struggles in his coming of age, dealing with his addict mother as well as his own sexual identity. It's a well made, and subtle, film that grapples with it's subject matter with maturity and beauty and sorrow.

20 minutes ago, kenman said:

Moonlight. A poetic film that chronicles three stages in the life of a black kid (eventually teen and adult in each respective chapter) who struggles in his coming of age, dealing with his addict mother as well as his own sexual identity. It's a well made, and subtle, film that grapples with it's subject matter with maturity and beauty and sorrow.

^
Loved this movie.   

6 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Great review, Sehlat - very on point. forgot to mention I'd seen this too, and greatly enjoyed it.

It was a genuine surprise; loved the deft balance between horror and comedy.   Well done!

11 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

It was a genuine surprise; loved the deft balance between horror and comedy.   Well done!

Social commentary, of a sort!

I agree, horror/comedy isn't something that comes along very often (and works) any more. An American Werewolf in London is one of my all-time fave horror films - there's so many laughs in it that throw you off-balance.

Get Out was completely dissimilar, but it also featured these moments where you'd laugh, feel discomfited by it, and that, in turn, would get you thinking. Which is absolutely the point of good social satire, which I think this film also was. 

48 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Social commentary, of a sort!

I agree, horror/comedy isn't something that comes along very often (and works) any more. An American Werewolf in London is one of my all-time fave horror films - there's so many laughs in it that throw you off-balance.

Get Out was completely dissimilar, but it also featured these moments where you'd laugh, feel discomfited by it, and that, in turn, would get you thinking. Which is absolutely the point of good social satire, which I think this film also was. 

AAWIL was (until now) arguably the most successful horror comedy that comes to mind.  

I was also a fan of the horror anthology parody,"Tales From The Hood" (1995); an excellent urbanized updating of the 1970s British Amicus horror anthology flicks like "Tales from the Crypt" "Vault of Horror" and "House That Dripped Blood" etc.    Like "Get Out", it had a lot of social commentary (black-on-black crime, police brutality, drugs, racism, etc) mixed in with the laughs and scares.   And Clarence Williams III as "Mr. Simms" was a walking/talking special effect... he gives Vincent Price, Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee a serious run for their money.

Well worth a look, especially around Halloween... my high holy day. ;)

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

AAWIL was (until now) arguably the most successful horror comedy that comes to mind.  

I was also a fan of the horror anthology parody,"Tales From The Hood" (1995); an excellent urbanized updating of the 1970s British Amicus horror anthology flicks like "Tales from the Crypt" "Vault of Horror" and "House That Dripped Blood" etc.    Like "Get Out", it had a lot of social commentary (black-on-black crime, police brutality, drugs, racism, etc) mixed in with the laughs and scares.   And Clarence Williams III as "Mr. Simms" was a walking/talking special effect... he gives Vincent Price, Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee a serious run for their money.

Well worth a look, especially around Halloween... my high holy day. ;)

I love those Brit anthology flicks... I also loved Creepshow, stuff like that, that made a virtue of their shamelessly lurid pulp origins. And Horror spiced with comedy and social commentary is definitely a special skill. But I've never seen Tales from the Hood, so that has to go on the "Sehlat Vie Recommends" list - yes, there really is on in this household! :thumbsup2:

6 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

I love those Brit anthology flicks... I also loved Creepshow, stuff like that, that made a virtue of their shamelessly lurid pulp origins. And Horror spiced with comedy and social commentary is definitely a special skill. But I've never seen Tales from the Hood, so that has to go on the "Sehlat Vie Recommends" list - yes, there really is on in this household! :thumbsup2:

If you enjoy the Brit anthologies and Creepshow, you'll LOVE Tales from the Hood.   I'm not sure where you will find it these days (the DVD is long out of print; though I hear it's coming to BR soon), but it's worth a look.  As for the list?  I'm honored...

tumblr_mircvklM0b1rz41lqo1_250.gif

2 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

If you enjoy the Brit anthologies and Creepshow, you'll LOVE Tales from the Hood.   I'm not sure where you will find it these days (the DVD is long out of print; though I hear it's coming to BR soon), but it's worth a look.  As for the list?  I'm honored...

tumblr_mircvklM0b1rz41lqo1_250.gif

Eh. Good taste, m'friend! :)

3 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Eh. Good taste, m'friend! :)

Too kind... and check this out:

https://www.amazon.com/Tales-Collectors-Blu-ray-Clarence-Williams/dp/B01MU7TKA0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1490117068&sr=8-2&keywords=tales+from+the+hood

^ It's coming to BR in April.   Highly recommended Halloween viewing.  ;)

Bear in mind there is some cheesiness, but that's largely because it's emulating the style of the old Amicus anthologies.   I wouldn't say it's as sophisticated or subtle as "Get Out" but it does have that balance of horror and humor. 

Passengers. I really liked this movie. I don't understand critics' beef with this movie. 

3 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Passengers. I really liked this movie. I don't understand critics' beef with this movie. 

^
I didn't either.
My wife and I really enjoyed this one, and I thought it delivered on a relatively modest promise.   It's not "The Martian" or "Interstellar" but it's very entertaining.   Sometimes that's enough. 

YEs, I mean the trailer didn't promise TOO much, it promised a good enjoyable movie, and thats what I found when I watched it. A nice enjoyable movie. Only other time thats happened where the movie delivered as the trailer promised was Age of Adeline.

14 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

YEs, I mean the trailer didn't promise TOO much, it promised a good enjoyable movie, and thats what I found when I watched it. A nice enjoyable movie. Only other time thats happened where the movie delivered as the trailer promised was Age of Adeline.

I liked that one too.  It was like a feature length Twilight Zone episode.  I saw it one afternoon on a bargain matinee and it was satisfying.  I liked both Harrison Ford and the kid who played his younger self.   They should've cast him in the young Han Solo movie.

"Life." (Sci-fi, 2017)

If you've seen "Alien," you know the drill and "Life" doesn't remake the wheel. It's competently-acted, the creature is interesting and, most importantly, it maintains tension nicely. It was a perfect acceptable diversion even if it doesn't blow the doors off the place.

All I can say is, I suspect I will have enjoyed this much more than "Covenant"