Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Dimitry Badinov

Size inconsistency

the birds of prey must be 4 times larger than in the TOS movies because the Enterprise (NCC-1701) is around 150 meters, the Enterprise-D is around 600 meters and I think that Kruge's bird of prey and the TNG birds of prey are near the same relative size of the Enterprise of their eras, so if the Enterprise-D was 4 times as large as the original Enterprise, the TNG birds of prey would also need to be 4 times as large, also the starbases would need to be 4 times larger

During TNG and DS9, two different types of Bird of Prey's were routinely seen. The smaller scout version that was first introduced and a larger cruiser that was exactly the same as the scout, except for the fact that it was much larger. Basically what happened was that they just took the original BoP and scaled it up to make it a cruiser without making any of the changes that would have occurred if the Klingons had actually made a cruiser variant of the BoP.

EAS has a good article about the size discrepancies here: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/bop-size.htm

As you'll see, there are numerous problems with scaling of the BoP throughout it's life in Trek.

Also, just to note, the original enterprise was more like around 300 meters.

The Starship Database at EAS is a good source for fairly accurate ship sizes.

Additionally, in TNG apparently the K'Tinga was still in service with the Klingon empire, the K'Tinga class was about 200 meters, and a Romulan warbird is roughly the size of a Galaxy class vessel (600 meters) so a warbird is approximately 3 times larger than a K'Tinga Class, but the K'Tinga class was being replaced with the Vor'cha class which was 381 meters still only 3/4 the size of a warbird

Yeah, the K'Tinga has proved to be like the Miranda or Excelsior class of the Klingon Empire. It's probably their most relaible and successful design. I doubt they built any new ones that late in the 24th century, but like the Excelsior, they were built in such great numbers to begin with and did so well that they're still around even though the Vorcha class cruiser is a newer design.

And the Romulan Warbird is twice the size of the Galaxy class, almost 1200 meters in length. They never really were able to accurately depict the size of it though, so it's easy to misjudge it's size. I as hoping that we would get to see one on the big screen during Nemesis so that we could finally get that sense of just how big they are, much in the same way that when I first saw Generations, it finally gave me a sense of the Enterprise-D as being massive. But we got the Scimitar and that smaller warbird instead.

Ex-Astris-Scientia should be able to give you a good idea on the different sizes. There are plenty of inconsistencies between even the SAME ship! Like the BoP from ST III, it's supposed to be big, yet in ST IV...it's drastically smaller. WTF??? And...about the title of this thread...boy, I'm glad it's about ships and stuff, because I was getting the wrong signals....:confused:

And...about the title of this thread...boy, I'm glad it's about ships and stuff, because I was getting the wrong signals....:confused:

Pssssht dang. It was the only reason I looked. :biggrin:

The names for the two sizes of Bird-of-Prey are B'rel (small) and K'vort (large).

At least, that's what my encyclopedia says.

the birds of prey must be 4 times larger than in the TOS movies because the Enterprise (NCC-1701) is around 150 meters, the Enterprise-D is around 600 meters and I think that Kruge's bird of prey and the TNG birds of prey are near the same relative size of the Enterprise of their eras, so if the Enterprise-D was 4 times as large as the original Enterprise, the TNG birds of prey would also need to be 4 times as large, also the starbases would need to be 4 times larger

Thats because there are several types of Klingon BOP of which are different sizes, but yes there alot of scaling issues in ST.

Meh...can't really focus so much on all these inconsistencies, since it kinda stops you from ever enjoying the movies :)

Sign in to follow this