Glenn

Last Videogame You Played?

Kang   

Lately, I am replaying Evil Within and RE 4.  Working on first playing of Rise of the Tomb Raider, Fallout 4, & Dying Light. Depends on my mood :)

Sim   

Four weeks ago, I got myself a new desktop PC suitable for gaming (my old one was 10 years old, so I was way behind on games).

I bought a couple of games from the past 8 years or so, to catch up.

Unfortunately, I have very few time for gaming these days, but among the games I've played a little, are: "Civilization 6", "Bioshock (1)", "Max Payne 3" and "Doom (2016)".

My wife has been playing "Far Cry Primal" a bit on my computer.

When you have very few time, I found that "Doom" is a nice choice: You can just start it, play 30 minutes for another two or three saving points, just blast everything that moves, without the need of following a complicated story. Very old school. ;)

For nostalgia's sake, I formatted my old desktop and installed Windows XP on it, and all the good old games from the past (most of them aren't running on Windows 10 anymore).

Played "Half-Life 1" from 1998 a little. Wow, that was nostalgic. ;)

Edited by Sim

Corylea   

I'm playing The Sims 4, because the Get To Work expansion pack allows one to play as a scientist -- and one of the scientist's regular tasks is contacting the aliens.  I had to play this game so that I could contact aliens as part of my job! :inlove:

Edited by Corylea

I'm playing The Sims 4, because the Get To Work expansion pack allows one to play as a scientist -- and one of the scientist's regular tasks is contacting the aliens.  I had to play this game so that I could contact aliens as part of my job! :inlove:

I had no idea they still made expansion packs for The Sims! (I loved the vacation one back then. Or the one where you had pets. That was a long time ago, haha.) I used to love the original game a lot. It had aliens as well I believe... they abducted you sometimes when you spent too much time stargazing. :laugh:

Edit: Forgot to add the last video game I played. I'm still playing a LOT of FIFA 17 at the moment. And, strangely enough, No Man's Sky's Foundation Update REALLY made me like the game, too. Playing it a lot as well.

Edited by Mr.Picard

Corylea   

I had no idea they still made expansion packs for The Sims! (I loved the vacation one back then. Or the one where you had pets. That was a long time ago, haha.) I used to love the original game a lot. It had aliens as well I believe... they abducted you sometimes when you spent too much time stargazing. :laugh:

They're now on the FOURTH iteration of the game, so it's still going, yeah.  And yes, you're right, the aliens used to abduct you if you spent too much time stargazing.  In the current game, you can build a rocket ship, and if you upgrade it properly, you can have it take you to the aliens' planet! 

Unfortunately, the idea is more exciting than the reality, since the aliens look different but behave exactly like every other sim; there's no way to say "I come in peace" or "Take me to your leader."  But even the fact that they're just another sim is kind of cool -- the aliens LOOK strange, but they're not really so different from us.  It's a rather Trekkian message, in fact. ;)

Oh, and I made a Starfleet career for The Sims 3.  Because the intersection of Star Trek and The Sims brought out my obsessional side. :P

Edit: Forgot to add the last video game I played. I'm still playing a LOT of FIFA 17 at the moment. And, strangely enough, No Man's Sky's Foundation Update REALLY made me like the game, too. Playing it a lot as well.

No Man's Sky sounded really cool when it was in development, but then when it came out, the reviews of it convinced me not to buy it.  Tell me about the Foundation Update -- if it's fixed what's wrong with NMS; that would be excellent news!

They're now on the FOURTH iteration of the game, so it's still going, yeah.  And yes, you're right, the aliens used to abduct you if you spent too much time stargazing.  In the current game, you can build a rocket ship, and if you upgrade it properly, you can have it take you to the aliens' planet! 

Unfortunately, the idea is more exciting than the reality, since the aliens look different but behave exactly like every other sim; there's no way to say "I come in peace" or "Take me to your leader."  But even the fact that they're just another sim is kind of cool -- the aliens LOOK strange, but they're not really so different from us.  It's a rather Trekkian message, in fact. ;)

Oh, and I made a Starfleet career for The Sims 3.  Because the intersection of Star Trek and The Sims brought out my obsessional side. :P

No Man's Sky sounded really cool when it was in development, but then when it came out, the reviews of it convinced me not to buy it.  Tell me about the Foundation Update -- if it's fixed what's wrong with NMS; that would be excellent news!

Can you then actually walk around on the aliens' planet or rather, build a house there for yourself? That would seriously rock. :laugh:

There's a No Man's Sky topic here where I basically voiced all my anger and frustation at the game... but the Foundation Update has REALLY fixed a few of the most glaring issues. It introduced three different game modes - Normal (same as before but with improvements, you can build things there as well), Survival (everything is much more difficult and hostile and the focus is on staying alive, not exploring) and Creative (you can freely explore everything and go almost everywhere, everything is free and you can build a HUGE base for yourself and claim a home planet and get the biggest starships because, everything is free). The Creative Mode is EXACTLY what I wanted from the game - EXPLORATION without it being a constant anxious search for various elements to keep my warp drive going and all. That was NOT what I was promised, but the Creative Mode comes close to what they DID promise. I remain cautious, of course, but the update really fixed the core idea of the game for me. A lot of other folks love the Survival Mode because it's what THEY expected from the game. So, they did good with the Foundation Update. (It's called Foundation because, obviously, they want for MANY more free updates to come, or so they claim.)

Edited by Mr.Picard

Corylea   

Can you then actually walk around on the aliens' planet or rather, build a house there for yourself? That would seriously rock. :laugh:

You can walk around on the aliens' planet, and you can harvest plants, collect rocks, and talk to people.  You can't build a house there on your first visit, but I don't know if the opportunity to move there opens up later, since I've only been there once so far.

There's a No Man's Sky topic here where I basically voiced all my anger and frustation at the game... but the Foundation Update has REALLY fixed a few of the most glaring issues. It introduced three different game modes - Normal (same as before but with improvements, you can build things there as well), Survival (everything is much more difficult and hostile and the focus is on staying alive, not exploring) and Creative (you can freely explore everything and go almost everywhere, everything is free and you can build a HUGE base for yourself and claim a home planet and get the biggest starships because, everything is free). The Creative Mode is EXACTLY what I wanted from the game - EXPLORATION without it being a constant anxious search for various elements to keep my warp drive going and all. That was NOT what I was promised, but the Creative Mode comes close to what they DID promise. I remain cautious, of course, but the update really fixed the core idea of the game for me. A lot of other folks love the Survival Mode because it's what THEY expected from the game. So, they did good with the Foundation Update. (It's called Foundation because, obviously, they want for MANY more free updates to come, or so they claim.)

Creative Mode sounds awesome!  Thanks for telling me that they've added that; that makes the game sound much more attractive.

You can walk around on the aliens' planet, and you can harvest plants, collect rocks, and talk to people.  You can't build a house there on your first visit, but I don't know if the opportunity to move there opens up later, since I've only been there once so far.

Creative Mode sounds awesome!  Thanks for telling me that they've added that; that makes the game sound much more attractive.

OMG I want the Sims 4 now! :laugh: I used to do baaaaad things with The Sims tho, not sure I could resist the temptation to do so again. Y'know, the pool-without-ladder thing and all. I always invited folks from the city and then trapped them in rooms without doors and all. Ah, the good old times! :laugh:

I still wouldn't say No Man's Sky is worth its initial release price, but if you get it for less (and I believe one can do so now), it's worth thinking about getting. I'd wait for a few more updates though. Just to make sure Hello Games MEANS it. lol