Mr.Picard

The Sir Patrick Stewart Topic

4,340 posts in this topic

Where was that?

Where was what? :dontgetit: *lol*

*giggle* Where was he speaking?

*giggle* Where was he speaking?

You mean the last picture? I took that at a German Star Trek convention. I took about 100 more that all look almost exactly like the one I posted. :laugh:

I would have done the same thing! 100 pictures that might look the same to everyone else but me! (Oh no, that was taken 40 seconds AFTER the one before it!)

Hee hee!~

How many times have you seen him?

I would have done the same thing! 100 pictures that might look the same to everyone else but me! (Oh no, that was taken 40 seconds AFTER the one before it!)

Hee hee!~

How many times have you seen him?

LOL yeah, that's exactly what I was doing back then, taking pictures every few seconds. :laugh:

I've seen him three times. But I talked to him only once, in 2005 in London. Didn't want to bother him again when I saw him again in Stratford-Upon-Avon in 2006. ;)

- News! -

Mr. Stewart has been nominated for yet another award for Macbeth! :thumbsup2:

Linney, Fishburne Among Outer Critics Noms

Several high-profile actors earned nominations Monday for the 58th annual Outer Critics Circle Awards, including Laura Linney for outstanding actress in a Broadway play (Les Liaisons Dengereuses); Kevin Kline (Cyrano de Bergerac) and Patrick Stewart (Macbeth) for outstanding actor in a Broadway play; and Lawrence Fishburne for Outstanding Solo Performance (Thurgood).

(Source)

Mr. Stewart FTW!!!!!

WOOOOOOOO! :P

Although Mrs. P's birthday is over on the other side of the pond...we're still celebrating here! So here's a pic of the Mr. for you! (Sorry I'm not as talented as HR to make it all pretty - but...oh well.

starshipmine226eg6.jpg

That's okay...because I went ahead and did one. Thanks for the pic, Terri! ;)

jeanbirthday.jpg

Awwww thanks to you two!!! :blush:

And yet another award nomination! :ohmy:

Nominees for the 2007-2008 Drama League Awards, which will be held May 16 at the Marriott Marquis Hotel, were revealed April 22.

[...]

Distinguished Performance Award

Lauren Ambrose, Romeo and Juliet

Hank Azaria, The Farnsworth Invention

Roger Bart, Young Frankenstein

Christine Baranski, Boeing-Boeing

Laura Benanti, Gypsy

Sierra Boggess, The Little Mermaid

Daniel Breaker, Passing Strange

Ellen Burstyn, The Little Flower of East Orange

Charles Busch, Die Mommie Die!

Kerry Butler, Xanadu

Bill Camp, The Misanthrope

Bobby Cannavale, Mauritius

Margaret Colin, Old Acquaintance

Ben Daniels, Les Liaisons Dangereuses

Andre de Shields, Black Nativity

Peter Dinklage, Things We Want

Deanna Dunagan, August: Osage County

Daniel Evans, Sunday in the Park with George

Jesse Tyler Ferguson, A Midsummer Night's Dream

Laurence Fishburne, Thurgood

Sutton Foster, Young Frankenstein

Elizabeth Franz, The Piano Teacher

Morgan Freeman, The Country Girl

Peter Gallagher, The Country Girl

David Greenspan, The Beebo Brinker Chronicles

Harriet Harris, Old Acquaintance, Cry-Baby

Jayne Houdyshell, The Receptionist, The New Century

Terrence Howard, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

Cheyenne Jackson, Xanadu

Brian d’Arcy James, Next to Normal

Francis Jue, Yellow Face

Kevin Kline, Cyrano de Bergerac

Nathan Lane, November

Angela Lansbury, Deuce

Hoon Lee, Yellow Face

Laura Linney, Les Liaisons Dangereuses

Patti LuPone, Gypsy

Elizabeth Marvel, Top Girls

Alli Mauzey, Cry-Baby

Jefferson Mays, Pygmalion

Frances McDormand, The Country Girl

S. Epatha Merkerson, Come Back, Little Sheba

David Morse, The Seafarer

Amy Morton, August: Osage County

Jim Norton, The Seafarer

Chazz Palminteri, A Bronx Tale

Rosie Perez, The Ritz

Martha Plimpton, A Midsummer's Night Dream, Cymbeline, Top Girls

Faith Prince, A Catered Affair

Bill Pullman, Peter and Jerry

Dallas Roberts, Peter and Jerry

Anika Noni Rose, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

Mark Rylance, Boeing-Boeing

Jenna Russell, Sunday in the Park with George

Tobias Segal, From Up Here

Marian Seldes, Deuce

Jeanine Serralles, The Black Eyed and The Misanthrope

Rufus Sewell, Rock 'n' Roll

Jimmi Simpson, The Farnsworth Invention

Lois Smith, 100 Saints You Should Know

James Snyder, Cry-Baby

David Staller, Gaslight

Bobby Steggert, The Slug Bearers of Kayrol Island

Stew, Passing Strange

Patrick Stewart, Macbeth

Paulo Szot, South Pacific

Julie White, From Up Here

Dianne Wiest, The Seagull

Mare Winningham, 10 Million Miles

Tom Wopat, A Catered Affair

(Source)

Quite a few people on that list... oh well, he's the best anyway. :P

Wow! He's in some gooooood company too.

Wow! He's in some gooooood company too.

*Worf voice* He will be victorious. :thumbsup2:

I mean, he is the best, after all. :thumbup: (Did I ever mention that? *lol*)

Yes, yes you did. But, like Terri said...he's in good company! Laurence Fishburne, Angela Lansbury, Rufus Sewell, Bill Pullman...quite a list. :thumbsup2:

Yes, yes you did. But, like Terri said...he's in good company! Laurence Fishburne, Angela Lansbury, Rufus Sewell, Bill Pullman...quite a list. :thumbsup2:

I must admit I don't really know them all (a few, but not many)... but hey, I'm only interested in Mr. Stewart anyway. :laugh:

Well Rufus Sewell was Wash, the pilot, from "Serenity" and "Firefly." Angela Lansbury...who could forget "Murder, She Wrote?" Bill Pullman was Lone Starr in "Spaceballs." And we all know that Larry Fishburne was Morpheus. ;)

I only know Morpheus... and "Murder, She Wrote", yeah, I remember that one as well. I've just never been much into actors/actresses/TV shows. I'm not much into it nowadays either. With one exception, of course. ;)

Distinguished Performance Award

Hank Azaria, The Farnsworth Invention

Andre de Shields, Black Nativity

Laurence Fishburne, Thurgood

Morgan Freeman, The Country Girl

Peter Gallagher, The Country Girl

Terrence Howard, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

Kevin Kline, Cyrano de Bergerac

Nathan Lane, November

Angela Lansbury, Deuce

Frances McDormand, The Country Girl

Chazz Palminteri, A Bronx Tale

Rufus Sewell, Rock 'n' Roll

James Snyder, Cry-Baby

Patrick Stewart, Macbeth

OUCH!!

What a list...they all deserve to win...

Yeah, I also thought "OUCH!" when I saw the list... simply because it consists of so many people, which means LOTS of competition for Mr. Stewart. :cry: But, on the other hand, because there are so many other people, I won't be as pissed off as I usually get whenever he doesn't receive an award he'd been nominated for. :laugh:

Just because I'm in the mood and because I don't have anything better to do I thought I'd take a quick look at a small part of my collection and post... a few pictures of Mr. Stewart. ;)

A very young Mr. Stewart:

Veryyoung.jpg

Mr. Stewart as Sterling (movie "Jeffrey"):

sterling.jpg

Mr. Stewart and Kelsey Grammer ("Frasier"):

Frasier.jpg

Mr. Stewart as Oberon ("A Midsummer Night's Dream") in 1977:

oberon.jpg

I can see why you like this one! ;) No, seriously...it was a great performance. You know, I saw the box set of "I, Claudius" at the video store the other day.

I can see why you like this one! ;) No, seriously...it was a great performance. You know, I saw the box set of "I, Claudius" at the video store the other day.

I like it because it's a great picture and because "A Midsummer Night's Dream" is the only Shakespearean comedy that I can stand. ;)

Oooh yes. "I Claudius". Sejanus. My favorite.

seianus-1.jpg:inlove:

I like it because it's a great picture and because "A Midsummer Night's Dream" is the only Shakespearean comedy that I can stand. ;)

Oooh yes. "I Claudius". Sejanus. My favorite.

seianus-1.jpg:inlove:

I;ll just carry that forward. What? See I loved Merry Wives....

I;ll just carry that forward. What? See I loved Merry Wives....

You mean as in "The Merry Wives of Windsor"? ;) Well I guess I just can't help it, I like plays like "Macbeth" or "Hamlet" the most... I don't know, it's the dark ones I like, not the funny ones. I mean I like movies like "Saw", so I guess one should not expect me to like Shakespeare's comedies. :laugh:

- News - (well, sort of, but hey...)

Tonys 2008: Can Patrick Stewart 'make it so'?

It is no surprise that celluloid superhero Patrick Stewart ("Star Trek: The Next Generation," "X-Men"), could be boldly going where no man has gone before: that is, to finally break the Tony Awards curse that has befallen "Macbeth." Since the Tonys began in 1947, five other actors — who all received Tony nods, if not wins, at some point in their career — have played the Scottish king on Broadway, but none has been nominated for that performance.

Those who found that uneasy lies the head that wears the crown were: Michael Redgrave (1948); Paul Rogers (1956); Philip Anglim (1981); Nicol Williamson (1982); and Christopher Plummer (1988). (The less said about the mess that was the Kelsey Grammer led production in 2000 the better.)

However, Stewart, a respected British stage actor, picked up both an Outer Critics Circle nomination and a Drama League nod this week for his work. And he is likely to be recognized by the Drama Desk next week, which has nominated him twice in the past as best actor and gave him a special award for his solo performance in "A Christmas Carol" in 1992.

Last year, Stewart won the Evening Standard Award for the London run of the Scottish play. While he was nominated for the Olivier Award –- the English equivalent to the Tony –- he lost to another Shakespearean actor, "Othello" star Chiwetel Ejiofor.

The highest hurdle for Stewart could be the bias against the Bard on Broadway. The classically trained thespian made his Broadway debut in the 1971 Royal Shakespeare Company production of "A Midsummer Night's Dream." While that show won director Tony Brook a Tony, it is one of the few Shakespearean productions to take home Broadway's highest honor.

(Source)

And again, notice the Trek reference... it's just a thing journalists love to do and I guess they'll never stop. :glare:

As for the article itself... he deserves a Tony. Why bother with nominations, just give him the damn thing! :laugh:

1) Saw? Really? OMG I am a violent movie wimp. No - worse than that - I avoid most films rated over PG13 cuz I know they'll be a little more that I can handle. (I have baaaaad dreams too easily.) My friends know me so well that they will email me and tell me - Oh you won't like this one. There have been a few exceptions to this rule and I can't explain why - maybe because the violence was so cartoonish? (RoboCop was one)

However - I adore the serious plays too - I'm awfully fond of Othello and Julius Caesar. JC was the first play I ever read aloud in class so it holds a special place in my heart. (I got to read the main character's role - so that goes without saying.)

But I'm a huge fan of the low-brow humor that can be played up in the comedies. My favorite version of Merry Wives of Windsor was done by a University Group in SoCal about 20 years ago and their exorbintant use of codpieces had me weeping.

Besides - Falstaff is my favorite underrated character. (I heard a rumor that Mr. Stewart might be looking to undertake that role soon?)

2) I know that journalists will always reference Trek in their articles - and admittedly the reference you showed here wasn't that bad. I just get frustrated when that's all they talk about when they speak to him....Luckily that was not the case in this article - they really did focus on his stage work.