Mr.Picard

The Sir Patrick Stewart Topic

Patrick Stewart was on "Late Night With Conan O' Brien" tonight, promoting Macbeth. The interview was solely focused on the play, no Trek. Patrick told a great joke, too: "A man was charged with robbing a convenience store. The man at the bench was asked by the prosecution if he recognized the robber, and he pointed at the defendant, yelling, 'That's him! That's him!' and the defendent yelled back, 'How could you recognize me? I was in a mask!!!'" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Patrick spoke about how today was the exact one year anniversary of their production! Happy anniversary to Mr. Stewart's Macbeth! Conan asked Mr. Stewart if he could try on his spectacles, and he did...so Mr. Stewart acted like he was seeing a psychiatrist, "Well, it all started when I was...." and then Conan went, "Hmm, we'll have to find some kind of help for you." And Mr. Stewart, being as witty as ever, "There's no help for me!" :laugh: He was joking, of course! :laugh: Patrick spoke of losing his hair in his youth, and he caught someone laughing...and he made...that face. He pointed at the audience member, some dude, and said, "I see you...do you find my losing my hair amusing? Look at you, with your hair down to your shoulders! You look stupid!" Big laughs ensue. Mr. Stewart, at the very end plugged his play by quoting a review, "Go and see this play, and you'll finally see what people have been talking about for 400 years!" Big congrats to Mr. Stewart on the one year anniversary! May you forever be a tour de force on the stage!

Thanks for the report, Gary!!! :thumbup: *is waiting for someone to put it up on Youtube* *patient* ;)

I remember when he showed up at Conan O'Brien's show in order to talk about "Star Trek: Nemesis". That one was HYSTERICAL as well (he talked about crying and falling into Jonathan Frakes' arms and Conan was all like "aaah, a whole new kind of Star Trek movie" *loooool*) - Mr. Stewart seems to get along quite nicely with Conan. :giggle:

Terilynn   

I think that's because Conan doesn't have an "American" wit....he's much more biting than most American comedians and smart people like him.... :)

I think that's because Conan doesn't have an "American" wit....he's much more biting than most American comedians and smart people like him.... :)

So this means Mr. Stewart is smart? (And I as well, since I like Conan, too? :laugh: ) Mr. Stewart tends to get along with a lot of people, though - as long as they take his work seriously.

If not, he can become very upset. There was one incident when they were still shooting TNG and some reporters were visiting the set (from some sort of 'breakfast show' or whatever it was). They were supposed to do interviews with the cast, and they were making bad jokes about the show and joking about the episodes and how silly they thought it was. Mr. Stewart listened to their 'jokes' for a little while and then, suddenly, just stood up and walked out, slamming the door shut behind him. Someone had to run after him and persuade him to get back - I don't remember if it was successful or not (I don't think so, though, he can be very stubborn).

Something similar happened when two Trekkies in uniform sat in the audience during a stage play. They kept talking and talking and they laughed when he was tugging at his shirt and so on. They were rude and Mr. Stewart interrupted the play and asked them to leave. Which gave the yellow press something to write about. "STEWART HATES TREKKIES, THROWS THEM OUT OF THE THEATER" and so on. :glare:

He tends to become upset if his work isn't taken seriously, he's just a human being, after all. He even APOLOGIZED during a radio interview a few days later for becoming upset and for throwing the Trekkies out (I was listening to the interview myself via internet, so he really apologized, I'm not making this up), but the 'damage' was done, he was the evil Mr. Stewart who throws Trekkies out. The fact that they had showed up in uniforms (why the hell would someone show up in a Trek uniform at the theater???? o_O) and that they had behaved quite inappropriately was ignored, all that remained was that he had asked them to leave. He then JOKINGLY said that he'd ask for "Trekkie detectors" in order to make sure the really insane Trekkies stay out of the theater... he was JOKING, he was LAUGHING when he said that... well, let's just say it didn't make things better.

I admit he tends to say/do things he later regrets because he tends to talk and after THAT, he starts to THINK... lol... but hey, he's only human. ;)

Oh dear, I'm in my "I love to give Patrick Stewart - related speeches and to defend him, no matter what" - mode again. :dontgetit:

Well, Conan does take Patrick's work seriously. I mean, the whole interview was dedicated to the play.

Well, Conan does take Patrick's work seriously. I mean, the whole interview was dedicated to the play.

That's great. :thumbsup2: Mr. Stewart then sometimes even tends to mention Star Trek himself because he'll think it's weird that the topic hasn't come up yet. :laugh:

Nope, nothing of the like. The interview went quite well, I must say. A definate tivo! And what's funny, is that before Conan came on...William Shatner and Tricia Helfer were on Jay Leno's show!

Terilynn   

^ that doesn't surprise me at all. And yes...I think we're ALL smart. And don't worry Mrs. P! You can stand on your soapnox for PS any day!

:soapbox:

We'll support ya!

Nope, nothing of the like. The interview went quite well, I must say. A definate tivo! And what's funny, is that before Conan came on...William Shatner and Tricia Helfer were on Jay Leno's show!

Too bad The Shat wasn't on Conan's show, too. Mr. Stewart and he are very good friends. The two of them together = hilarious moments. :laugh:

^ that doesn't surprise me at all. And yes...I think we're ALL smart. And don't worry Mrs. P! You can stand on your soapnox for PS any day!

:soapbox:

We'll support ya!

Thank you! Yes, I look exactly like that smiley when I'm all like "LEAVE MR. STEWART ALONE YOU EVIL JOURNALISTS!" :laugh: Although I'm not really sure he'd appreciate what I'm doing. ;) He'd probably think I'm insane. :huh:

Ta-Dah   

oh, come on, Mrs Picard...

we're with you :thumbsup2:

back to topic...I remember Patrick was hilarious on Kumars at No 42, when Sanjeev showed up in a captain's uniform :biggrin:

he also recited something (I don't remember what) on his famous Yorkshire dialect...

will try to find that and figure out what it was

back to topic...I remember Patrick was hilarious on Kumars at No 42, when Sanjeev showed up in a captain's uniform :biggrin:

he also spoke with his famous Yorkshire dialect...

LOL yeah I've seen bits and pieces of that guest appearance, too. (I love the place where I live, but NOT when it comes to the fact that I get NO British or American TV channels over here. *sigh*) I at least have some nice screenshots, though. :biggrin:

screen2.jpg

he also recited something (I don't remember what) on his famous Yorkshire dialect...

will try to find that and figure out what it was

I've actually seen that a few times. I've got BBC on my satellite, and I've seen that! It's soooo freakin' funny!

I've actually seen that a few times. I've got BBC on my satellite, and I've seen that! It's soooo freakin' funny!

I just love it when he's doing funny things... I sometimes find it hard to decide which one I like better: Him playing a funny character or an evil one. Hmmm... decisions, decisions... :dontgetit:

Ta-Dah   

I also liked the Eleventh hour - nice to see him play something contemporary on tv, for a change

he's either in shakespeare and ibsen, or in star trek. :rolleyes:

I also liked the Eleventh hour - nice to see him play something contemporary on tv, for a change

he's either in shakespeare and ibsen, or in star trek. :rolleyes:

Or "X Men". :laugh:

Ugh. I think it's awful. :laugh: "Eleventh Hour", I mean... I've seen the first episode so far (I have the DVDs, but after watching the first episode, I'm not really in a hurry to watch the others *ugh* *lol*)... and I thought it was truly awful. Mr. Stewart was great, of course, but the show is just nothing more than a VERY bad copy of "X Files". He ain't no Fox Mulder. *shakes head* However, I liked Ian Hood's clothes. Nice shirts and suits! :thumbsup2:

Ta-Dah   

I liked only the first season of x-flies. after that, they turned it into some kind of sci-fi mystery/suspense/horror/thriller/romance god knows what...

and after a while, plot was just too stupid...

eleventh hour is much more realistic, imo

I liked only the first season of x-flies. after that, they turned it into some kind of sci-fi mystery/suspense/horror/thriller/romance god knows what...

and after a while, plot was just too stupid...

eleventh hour is much more realistic, imo

I only liked the first 6 or maybe 7 seasons of "X Files". After that, it was just awful, yeah. LOL.

But "Eleventh Hour" was so... lame. I don't know... it got cancelled pretty quickly, so I guess I'm not the only one who disliked it. ;) But still, Mr. Stewart is in it and he liked it very much, so... this doesn't mean that I have to like it very much as well, but I'm glad that I own the DVDs. ;) *is proud of her Stewart movies collection* ;)

I just went through the pics I took of Mr. Stewart in 2005 in London and I scanned two more... thought I'd post them. ;) I'll add the ones I had already scanned as well. I also scanned a picture I took at the Galileo 7 convention in Germany in 2004.

PStInLondonII.jpgPStInLondon.jpg

Notice his curly hair? :thumbsup2: I just HAD to take pictures of that. *lol*

P-StewInLondonIII.png

P-StewInLondonIV.jpg

Galileo-1.png <--- I wasn't that far away from the stage... my camera just didn't have a ZOOM IN function. ;)