Mr.Picard

The Sir Patrick Stewart Topic

6 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

:thumbup:

I had the same reaction... and then I was like “wait, isn’t Logan MUCH older than Charles, waaaaaaaiiiit a miiiiinuuuuute...” :laugh: 

5 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

I had the same reaction... and then I was like “wait, isn’t Logan MUCH older than Charles, waaaaaaaiiiit a miiiiinuuuuute...” :laugh: 

And for you it just got better and better, right? :laugh:

3 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

For the Emoji Movie?  

* running from Mr. Picard, who is throwing meat cleavers in my direction...* :giggle:

My horrible jokes aside, this is well-deserved.  He deserved a pile of Emmys for his work on ST: TNG.  Case in point, "Sarek" "Inner Light" or just about ANY episode.  That man never delivers a false note. 

19 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

For the Emoji Movie?  

* running from Mr. Picard, who is throwing meat cleavers in my direction...* :giggle:

My horrible jokes aside, this is well-deserved.  He deserved a pile of Emmys for his work on ST: TNG.  Case in point, "Sarek" "Inner Light" or just about ANY episode.  That man never delivers a false note. 

He has done movies FAR worse than the Emoji Movie. (The Wilde Wedding and Let It Be Me come to mind here. *shudder*) So no, the joke doesn't work for me. :P

I wish he'd win that Critics' Choice award but it will be as it always is: With him not winning anything. I've pretty much lost all faith in award justice for Sir Patrick by now.

4 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

He has done movies FAR worse than the Emoji Movie. (The Wilde Wedding and Let It Be Me come to mind here. *shudder*) So no, the joke doesn't work for me. :P

I wish he'd win that Critics' Choice award but it will be as it always is: With him not winning anything. I've pretty much lost all faith in award justice for Sir Patrick by now.

Awards are so very arbitrary anyway.  I hate pitting art against other art, but all the same; awards exist, and I think in a just world Sir Patrick deserves his share...

2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Awards are so very arbitrary anyway.  I hate pitting art against other art, but all the same; awards exist, and I think in a just world Sir Patrick deserves his share...

He deserves an Oscar, not only for his performance in LOGAN but also as compensation for DECADES of being ignored by major award juries.

Day 3 in Dubai!

Here are some news: Patrick Stewart on Star Trek and a possible X-Men return

And here he is on stage during his Dubai International Film Festival Q&A session:

DubaiStage.jpg (Source)

Also, this is no doubt going to make headlines in the Trek fandom *sigh* - you heard it here first. :P

Tarantino.png

While I loved his exit in "Logan", he was playing an older Xavier; there's no reason he couldn't come back if a a new XM movie takes place before "Logan."  

As for Tarantino Trek?  I'm afraid I don't quite share Sir Patrick's optimism.  Tarantino has had a career trajectory similar to Tim Burton; both were brilliant in the '90s, but both have become overly self-indulgent, and their films have suffered for it. 

He will come back to the X Men franchise if they give him enough reason to, I have no doubt about that. (He was all eager to hear about "Legion", for example.) He just keeps saying he won't because he's a deeply emotional person who is still moved by that moment in Berlin when he and Jackman cried. ;)

I want him as FAR AWAY from the Star Trek TNG franchise as possible and I really hope Paramount will remember that they own the rights to the Kelvin universe and that's what Tarantino can direct all he wants, I don't really care. lol I would grudgingly acknowledge it if Sir Patrick played a different character in a Kelvin universe movie tho. Whatever, I'd buy the DVD and that's it for me, I have zero emotional attachment to anything other than TNG.

All that being said... I would prefer it if Sir Patrick worked with Tarantino on something other than Trek. I honestly don't want Sir Patrick near the franchise these days, but Tarantino can do whatever he wants, I'm indifferent to this.

2 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

All that being said... I would prefer it if Sir Patrick worked with Tarantino on something other than Trek. I honestly don't want Sir Patrick near the franchise these days, but Tarantino can do whatever he wants, I'm indifferent to this.

As much as I loved him in TNG, I agree; he did 15 years in that role.   He explored it so thoroughly that there’s really nothing left to say.   Besides, it’d be a big step backward for his career at this point; he doesn’t want to turn into Bill Shatner, who’s still pining for the role that he originated over 50 years ago. 

3 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

As much as I loved him in TNG, I agree; he did 15 years in that role.   He explored it so thoroughly that there’s really nothing left to say.   Besides, it’d be a big step backward for his career at this point; he doesn’t want to turn into Bill Shatner, who’s still pining for the role that he originated over 50 years ago. 

The Trek fandom is about to explode, the headlines are here and already misleading enough so that there are already people thinking this is set in stone and he will actually BE in Tarantino's movie. I hate today's internet culture of "we don't check facts and we just read misleading headlines and spread rumors around". Every. Single. Time.

Sigh.

Anyways. If they really throw Jean-Luc into this supposed movie, Imma leave the fandom. For a long while. No way I'm gonna subject myself to either that movie or the fandom fights. NO WAY. Ugh. I don't get why so many fans want for him to return... ah wait I do get it: Nostalgia, again.

8 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

The Trek fandom is about to explode, the headlines are here and already misleading enough so that there are already people thinking this is set in stone and he will actually BE in Tarantino's movie. I hate today's internet culture of "we don't check facts and we just read misleading headlines and spread rumors around". Every. Single. Time.

Sigh.

Anyways. If they really throw Jean-Luc into this supposed movie, Imma leave the fandom. For a long while. No way I'm gonna subject myself to either that movie or the fandom fights. NO WAY. Ugh. I don't get why so many fans want for him to return... ah wait I do get it: Nostalgia, again.

I don’t think you have anything to worry about; personally I wouldn’t be surprised if this Tarantino Trek thing was an elaborate hoax...

9 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

I'm okay with it if it makes sense.

The problem is that, for me, that's a HIGH bar.

2 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I don’t think you have anything to worry about; personally I wouldn’t be surprised if this Tarantino Trek thing was an elaborate hoax...

I'm in no shape to deal with anything like this, so I would welcome for it to be a hoax - it's only been a few hours since he said it, the major Trek websites haven't even picked it up yet but my nerves are already stretched as thin as a sheet of paper. It doesn't help that my sources are starting to fill up with the whole thing either. Ugh, ugh, ugh. I wish he hadn't said anything. But then, Sir Patrick has never been in the habit of "not saying anything". lol

2 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

I'm okay with it if it makes sense.

The problem is that, for me, that's a HIGH bar.

That's precisely the issue. Nostalgia fanboys are screaming "OMG YES PLEASE COME BACK" all over the place NOW, but if it REALLY turns out to be happening, they will be the first who pick up the pitchforks once they notice their "beloved Picard" is unrecognizable... which he would be, not just because this is "everything is dark and gloomy" 2017/2018 but also because TARANTINO. And then the hate will start, "why did Stewart sign on to this", "why did he allow for Tarantino to mess up Picard"... etc etc etc. These fanboys don't think things through, it's almost frightening sometimes how they fall for every bone that gets thrown at them and only after a few bites they realize it doesn't taste the way they're used for it to taste. And THAT is what I would DEFINITELY want to escape, I really don't need that kind of hate being thrown around.

19 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

That's precisely the issue. Nostalgia fanboys are screaming "OMG YES PLEASE COME BACK" all over the place NOW, but if it REALLY turns out to be happening, they will be the first who pick up the pitchforks once they notice their "beloved Picard" is unrecognizable... which he would be, not just because this is "everything is dark and gloomy" 2017/2018 but also because TARANTINO. And then the hate will start, "why did Stewart sign on to this", "why did he allow for Tarantino to mess up Picard"... etc etc etc. These fanboys don't think things through, it's almost frightening sometimes how they fall for every bone that gets thrown at them and only after a few bites they realize it doesn't taste the way they're used for it to taste. And THAT is what I would DEFINITELY want to escape, I really don't need that kind of hate being thrown around.

Know what else you'll hear because I heard it from Trek Fans re: Logan?:

"He looks so OLD now."

Well, umm...while Captain Picard is frozen in time along with everyone else in that episode from 30 years ago, Patrick Stewart isn't.

William Shatner isn't young, hot, and strapping anymore at 86 either.

19 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Know what else you'll hear because I heard it from Trek Fans re: Logan?:

"He looks so OLD now."

Well, umm...while Captain Picard is frozen in time along with everyone else in that episode from 30 years ago, Patrick Stewart isn't.

William Shatner isn't young, hot, and strapping anymore at 86 either.

He was made to look older in “Logan”, so much of this was make-up and he also lost weight for the part so that he looked extra frail, but you’re right still. Age would be one of the first fanboy complaints - they keep saying “Stewart doesn’t age ahahahaha” but that’s more because they don’t want to SEE that he’s aging, they have this extreme and strange notion that JLP 2017 would look the same as 2002 JLP,  and once their illusions are shattered, they will get angry. Even in 2002 a lot of people were whining about how “old” the TNG crew looked. And now? To put it bluntly: If Sir Patrick we’re to put on the exact uniform from 2002, it would be too big. It would look like a potato sack on him. He has shrunk and has also gotten more frail. A little while ago they did a photoshooting at a con with fans that was done on an exact replica of the Ent-D bridge, and Sir Patrick looked very, very tiny in that captain’s chair, very far from the extremely muscled and fit JLP fanboys know. This sort of information is stuff that these fans don’t want to hear or see, and they ignore it usually, but a movie would throw it all into their faces and boy, would they be shocked at first.... and then angry.

But I can’t (and won’t) subject myself to any of this - if this JLP return thing comes to be, I will definitely pull myself away from the Trek fandom and do a LOT of muting, blocking etc. I can NOT deal with Trek fans and their relentless hate if they choose to direct it at Sir Patrick (which they absolutely would since they complain about EVERYTHING, Tarantino could deliver the best Trek movie since Undiscovered Country and they’d hate on it). 

15 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

ut I can’t (and won’t) subject myself to any of this - if this JLP return thing comes to be, I will definitely pull myself away from the Trek fandom and do a LOT of muting, blocking etc. I can NOT deal with Trek fans and their relentless hate if they choose to direct it at Sir Patrick (which they absolutely would since they complain about EVERYTHING, Tarantino could deliver the best Trek movie since Undiscovered Country and they’d hate on it). 

For me, from those people, It's not dislike that the problem, or even "hate," because we all have things that we throw that word out for, but it's the blind rage that's misdirected and made personal. They'll hate Crusher, sure, but these people will shred Gates McFadden like it's not just some part she took...like she tried to inspire your hatred. It'd be the same with Stewart. They'd pick apart the movie, his role, and him personally. It's totally irrational.

29 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

For me, from those people, It's not dislike that the problem, or even "hate," because we all have things that we throw that word out for, but it's the blind rage that's misdirected and made personal. They'll hate Crusher, sure, but these people will shred Gates McFadden like it's not just some part she took...like she tried to inspire your hatred. It'd be the same with Stewart. They'd pick apart the movie, his role, and him personally. It's totally irrational.

Yup. Irrational in so many ways. This is why I’m VERY opposed to him EVER reprising his role as Jean-Luc Picard. The Trek fandom now only idolizes him the way it does because, for now, their nostalgia carries their good mood. Take that away by having him appear in a new Trek movie that isn’t well-received or only even just mediocre and the tables will turn, and quickly.