Mr.Picard

The Sir Patrick Stewart Topic

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Ugh, indeed.

Even as a former motorcyclist (for 10 years), I never really got the gestalt of racing; it's just a bunch of people making a really fast left turn.  Here in California we call that 'the freeway.'  :laugh:

Hopefully he does his best to be as safe as possible.  

I like watching Formula 1, I have nothing against car racing as a whole, but I have something against it when a (then-)77 year old man I love way too much for my own good participates.

Last time he participated in this was in 2012 and I was worried SICK all weekend. WHY DOES HE HAVE TO DO THIS TO ME

tumblr_inline_mmvuqb8RSr1qz4rgp.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

I like watching Formula 1, I have nothing against car racing as a whole, but I have something against it when a (then-)77 year old man I love way too much for my own good participates.

Last time he participated in this was in 2012 and I was worried SICK all weekend. WHY DOES HE HAVE TO DO THIS TO ME

tumblr_inline_mmvuqb8RSr1qz4rgp.png

 

:(

Indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

:(

Indeed.

I'd actually rather have him in a modern Formula 1 car - they're much better at protecting the driver should an accident occur. These older cars, though? No such luck. I'm NOT happy about this, but then, I know it makes him happy to do this, and I do want for him be happy, but... does it HAVE to be car racing? He has so many other hobbies that are a lot less dangerous. (Such as jigsaw puzzles, painting, reading...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

I'd actually rather have him in a modern Formula 1 car - they're much better at protecting the driver should an accident occur. These older cars, though? No such luck. I'm NOT happy about this, but then, I know it makes him happy to do this, and I do want for him be happy, but... does it HAVE to be car racing? He has so many other hobbies that are a lot less dangerous. (Such as jigsaw puzzles, painting, reading...)

Some people live their lives in constant pursuit of the next adrenaline rush.   And a part of me understands that, because when I was younger I had my motorcycles (three of them, at one point).  But then I had my accident at age 27 (hit by a drunk driver) and it shook me back to reality a bit; I began to realize how precious and fragile life really is (surviving cancer at 24 didn't do that for me; what can I say? I'm stupid... :P).   

I don't know if Sir Patrick has ever had a really close brush with death in his lifetime (even at age 76 it's possible; some people are just freakishly lucky like that), but even so; there are those who come close to death and think they lived just to spit in death's eye another day.  

I'm not sure what he's thinking...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahh, Mr. P, I fear thine heart doth quiver in protest too much.  This is the "Celebrity" division, in mildly tuned sedans nearly as old as Sir P, with full roll cages installed. The worst he could sustain might be a mild headache and a few days of enhanced geriatric aches and pains.  I'm only 6 years behind him and my weary bones would jump at the chance to join them in doing something exciting and fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sehlat Vie said:

Some people live their lives in constant pursuit of the next adrenaline rush.   And a part of me understands that, because when I was younger I had my motorcycles (three of them, at one point).  But then I had my accident at age 27 (hit by a drunk driver) and it shook me back to reality a bit; I began to realize how precious and fragile life really is (surviving cancer at 24 didn't do that for me; what can I say? I'm stupid... :P).   

I don't know if Sir Patrick has ever had a really close brush with death in his lifetime (even at age 76 it's possible; some people are just freakishly lucky like that), but even so; there are those who come close to death and think they lived just to spit in death's eye another day.  

I'm not sure what he's thinking...

 

He's had a few health scares in the past few years (he doesn't talk much about them and so I won't either), and he is aware of his age, he says he gets more aware of it with each passing day, but then I guess he has a "I want to have fun for as long as I can" attitude now, which is also why he learned skiing at the age of 69. I'm not sure why a 76-year-old has to go skiing, if he falls it's gonna be UGLY, breaking an arm or leg at his age is NO FUN WHATSOEVER, but he just DOES these things and he isn't the type who listens to people who tell him "you probably shouldn't be doing this". He has even said he wants to do some parachuting soon - I honestly hope it won't come to that, it'll cause me anxiety beyond any levels I've ever experienced.

I know I can't wrap him in cotton balls but sometimes that is EXCACTLY what I want to do. He's just so precious to me. I know I'm weird.

tumblr_m2v7tboHd41qmiokj.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mutai Sho-Rin said:

Ahh, Mr. P, I fear thine heart doth quiver in protest too much.  This is the "Celebrity" division, in mildly tuned sedans nearly as old as Sir P, with full roll cages installed. The worst he could sustain might be a mild headache and a few days of enhanced geriatric aches and pains.  I'm only 6 years behind him and my weary bones would jump at the chance to join them in doing something exciting and fun.

^
I hadn't considered that; I'm sure the Celebrity class of racing is much safer (hadn't considered the roll cages inside of the cars, either... good point, Mutai).   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mutai Sho-Rin said:

Ahh, Mr. P, I fear thine heart doth quiver in protest too much.  This is the "Celebrity" division, in mildly tuned sedans nearly as old as Sir P, with full roll cages installed. The worst he could sustain might be a mild headache and a few days of enhanced geriatric aches and pains.  I'm only 6 years behind him and my weary bones would jump at the chance to join them in doing something exciting and fun.

I'm still worried about him, I think it's fairly normal to be worried about someone you care for. I know he isn't competing against Formula 1 drivers or anything, but it still worries me to see him getting into a racing car, no matter how supposedly secure that car is. People also said the Titanic was unsinkable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mr.Picard said:

An Emoji Movie poster has appeared!

tumblr_opql2rbE0v1r116c2o1_540.png

For once, I'm hoping he gives a truly s#!tty performance... :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

For once, I'm hoping he gives a truly s#!tty performance... :laugh:

Me, too! But then, he always does whatever is required. :laugh:

A lot of people are like "what did they pay him to do this" or "this will end Stewart's career" and I'm like PEOPLE HE AGREED TO THIS, AND READILY SO BECAUSE IT'S RIGHT UP HIS HUMOR ALLEY. It still hasn't gotten through to some folks that the man isn't the "distinguished Shakespeare guy" or "the dignified guy who played Picard and Professor X" that they think he is. It's frustrating, to say the least.

Also, this: "My grandchildren howled with delight when they were told their grandfather, Sir Patrick, was actually going to be playing Poop Emoji. I think it gave them great street credibility." (x)

People are so quick to hate on him for doing this, it's also downright frightening. I get it that this won't be the most sophisticated movie of the year, and we didn't really need an Emoji movie but then, there are SO many more movies that we didn't need and got anyway, so another one won't make any difference, and if Sir Patrick is in it, at least his scenes will be 100% watchable. What more can people ask for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mr.Picard said:

Me, too! But then, he always does whatever is required. :laugh:

A lot of people are like "what did they pay him to do this" or "this will end Stewart's career" and I'm like PEOPLE HE AGREED TO THIS, AND READILY SO BECAUSE IT'S RIGHT UP HIS HUMOR ALLEY. It still hasn't gotten through to some folks that the man isn't the "distinguished Shakespeare guy" or "the dignified guy who played Picard and Professor X" that they think he is. It's frustrating, to say the least.

Also, this: "My grandchildren howled with delight when they were told their grandfather, Sir Patrick, was actually going to be playing Poop Emoji. I think it gave them great street credibility." (x)

People are so quick to hate on him for doing this, it's also downright frightening. I get it that this won't be the most sophisticated movie of the year, and we didn't really need an Emoji movie but then, there are SO many more movies that we didn't need and got anyway, so another one won't make any difference, and if Sir Patrick is in it, at least his scenes will be 100% watchable. What more can people ask for?

To those who think it'll hurt his career?   I say lighten up.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

To those who think it'll hurt his career?   I say lighten up.  

 

This comes mostly from the "I just lost all respect for him because his political opinions aren't the same as mine and he dares voicing them, why, he's supposed to ACT and shut up otherwise, great, now I have to boycott everything he does" crowd who never actually boycott anything and just scream that they will (they called for a "Logan" boycott, look how well THAT one worked, haha). I don't take them and their craziness seriously, but it's still annoying somehow. They really know NOTHING about what he's done in his career so far, if they did, they'd know that there are FAR worse movies he's done than one about Emojis. And they've probably also never looked at American Dad, what with its writers and their habit of deliberately giving him the most outrageous lines just to hear him say them.

Besides, Sir Patrick can do whatever HE wants - a totally new concept to some "fans", apparently. For some reason, these people seem to think he has to do what THEY want him to do. He can PICK his roles these days. And he picks them if he thinks they're unusual or challenging in some way. He won't pick the generic stereotype roles they apparently want him to play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

This comes mostly from the "I just lost all respect for him because his political opinions aren't the same as mine and he dares voicing them, why, he's supposed to ACT and shut up otherwise, great, now I have to boycott everything he does" crowd who never actually boycott anything and just scream that they will (they called for a "Logan" boycott, look how well THAT one worked, haha). I don't take them and their craziness seriously, but it's still annoying somehow. They really know NOTHING about what he's done in his career so far, if they did, they'd know that there are FAR worse movies he's done than one about Emojis. And they've probably also never looked at American Dad, what with its writers and their habit of deliberately giving him the most outrageous lines just to hear him say them.

Besides, Sir Patrick can do whatever HE wants - a totally new concept to some "fans", apparently. For some reason, these people seem to think he has to do what THEY want him to do. He can PICK his roles these days. And he picks them if he thinks they're unusual or challenging in some way. He won't pick the generic stereotype roles they apparently want him to play.

A lot of people talk about freedom, but those same people seem to get a little nervous (and jealous) when someone actually lives freedom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

A lot of people talk about freedom, but those same people seem to get a little nervous (and jealous) when someone actually lives freedom.

I've mostly cleared them from my Twitter search results, I don't want their hate tweets near me, but sometimes one or two still slip through. I've also had to switch off comments on some news articles on my Sir Patrick News Google+ page, I have NO desire WHATSOEVER to see things derail into political debates like elsewhere. (A lot of newspapers do this "switch off comments" thing now, it's unfortunate, but it's the only way to keep things civil these days.) I just want to provide people with news about Sir Patrick, and maybe answer Sir Patrick related questions from time to time, not launch political debates. It USED to be different. Only a few years ago things went smoothly, the only thing that disrupted things from time to time was the occasional homophobe whining when Sir Patrick voiced his support for LGBT+ folks, and I quickly banned those (not without telling them that the page they'd been following until then is being run by a gay man). Now I'm on "disable comments on this possibly polarizing Sir Patrick political opinion article before people can even comment" level. Running a Sir Patrick page is not a nice job anymore sometimes. I'm not like him, I can't just post stuff and ignore the reactions, I have to wade through them as part of my news search duty, and it's... dreadful sometimes. Most of the time he's well loved though, at least that, most folks do call him "a legend" and whatnot. It could still be a lot worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stumbled over a great pic today - Sir Patrick as Dr Roebuck in "Maybury":

Sir Patrick Stewart (Dr Roebuck Maybury).jpg (Source)

Look at him being perfect and tiny in his suit I love this man so much :inlove:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr.Picard said:

Stumbled over a great pic today - Sir Patrick as Dr Roebuck in "Maybury":

Sir Patrick Stewart (Dr Roebuck Maybury).jpg (Source)

Look at him being perfect and tiny in his suit I love this man so much :inlove:

I'd have never guessed... :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I'd have never guessed... :P

People have such short attention spans these days, constantly reminding them of things is something you HAVE to do. The one question I never want to hear is "do you still like that bald actor?" :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr.Picard said:

People have such short attention spans these days, constantly reminding them of things is something you HAVE to do. The one question I never want to hear is "do you still like that bald actor?" :P 

It's like when I run into someone I haven't seen in a long time and they say, "So, are you still into that Star Track show?" :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Locutus   
25 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

It's like when I run into someone I haven't seen in a long time and they say, "So, are you still into that Star Track show?" :laugh:

Haha my dad always calls it "Star Track" or, worse yet, Star WARS!  :furious:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Behind the Scenes: Sir Patrick as Dixon Hill in "Manhunt".

Sir Patrick Stewart (Behind The Scenes TNG Manhunt).png (Source)

 

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

*inhuman noises*

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

Behind the Scenes: Sir Patrick as Dixon Hill in "Manhunt".

Sir Patrick Stewart (Behind The Scenes TNG Manhunt).png (Source)

 

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

*inhuman noises*

 

^
The aptly titled "Manhunt."  :giggle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

^
The aptly titled "Manhunt."  :giggle:

I can't blame Lwaxana Troi for wanting Jean-Luc. ;) 

Also, Dixon Hill outfit? I'm sold even more.  (Same goes for Sir Patrick, who loved the Dixon Hill episodes. I'm not surprised - Dix as a character is far more like Sir Patrick than Jean-Luc is, haha.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites