Sign in to follow this  
Guest Andrew98

Lonely Among Us

It's still one of my top ten episodes. I have a blast whenever I am fortunate enough to find it on my "and the next episode to enjoy is..." list. Early TNG isn't for everyone, though.

If only I could see it with your eyes, my friend... ;)

I'm not sure if your wife would like it if you fell in love with Jean-Luc. (Which is what you would have to do in this case. lol) ;)

It's still one of my top ten episodes. I have a blast whenever I am fortunate enough to find it on my "and the next episode to enjoy is..." list. Early TNG isn't for everyone, though.

I'm not sure if your wife would like it if you fell in love with Jean-Luc. (Which is what you would have to do in this case. lol) ;)

I dunno, maybe she's the open-minded sort. ;)

I dunno, maybe she's the open-minded sort. ;)

I'm sure she is (I doubt Sehlat would marry someone who isn't open-minded), but her husband falling in love with someone else (and that someone being a fictional character) might just be something that goes BEYOND any "open-mindedness" limits. ;)

I mean I know why I stay away from relationships. None has ever worked, and I was insane enough to try a few times because I tried to be like everyone else. None lasted. Because of Jean-Luc. That's just the way things are for me. There IS no place for ANYONE else. And I doubt Sehlat (or his wife lol) would want that. ;)

I've been a TOS fan since I first saw it in 1969, at the age of eleven, but until recently, I'd never seen any other Star Trek. You see, in 1986, I moved into a TV-free household, so when TNG came out the following year, I didn't even know it was on, and I didn't watch any television for a couple of decades. Yes, DECADES. eek.gif

Then I read a book by Gretchen Rubin called The Happiness Project, in which she recommends that people get back in touch with things they'd loved to do as children. I remembered how much my teenaged self had loved Star Trek, so I bought the TOS DVD's and re-watched all 79 episodes. Yep, still love TOS luvlove.gif, especially (but not exclusively) Spock.

At that point, I realized that there were other Star Treks out there and started TNG, watching the first 6 - 7 episodes. Friends had warned me that the first season wasn't very good, so I persevered through an unexpectedly racist episode, a wildly sexist episode, and a really stupid episode. Then I watched "Lonely Among Us," and I was SCREAMING at the screen. Hoo, boy.

Watching this episode, I kept wishing for Kirk, Spock and McCoy. When the Selay guys beam aboard and ask if their quarters are anywhere near their enemies, Riker says they’re about 100 meters apart, and Picard asks anxiously if that’s okay. The head Selay says it’s not okay and starts giving orders, which Riker and Picard accommodate.

Say what? I kept imagining Jim Kirk there, telling the head Selay that they don’t give orders on HIS ship, and since their goal is to make peace, then can damn well begin by acting like civilized beings and going quietly to their assigned quarters.

Then later on, Picard ADMITS to the ship’s doctor that he’s been taken over by an alien creature. The first officer and doctor try to do something about this, but Picard tells them to go away and stop bothering him, and they run away with their tails between their legs.

Say WHAT? If Kirk had admitted to Spock and McCoy that he was possessed by an alien creature, first they’d have tried to talk to it. But if that didn’t work, Spock would have neck-pinched him or McCoy would have hypoed him unconscious. I couldn’t believe that Riker and Crusher just kinda shrugged and told each other that there was nothing they could do. How the hell are these people going to SURVIVE in a dangerous galaxy?

Where’s my confident, in-charge captain? Where’s my knows-everything, ready-for-anything Vulcan? Where’s my crusty, fearless doctor?

*sigh*

Friends tell me that TNG is going to get MUCH better. I’m amazed it survived long enough to do so.

I really WAS trying not to expect the new guys to be like the old ones. But when the new ones are stupid and ineffectual, it's a lot harder to maintain that position.

I can't believe Dorothy Fontana -- who wrote a lot of TOS episodes, including the highly wonderful "Journey to Babel" -- wrote THIS mess. Dorothy, were you sick? On drugs? Trying to show Roddenberry what an ass he was being with his rules for the new show? What? I KNOW you can do better than this!

*sigh* I think I need an episode or two of TOS as a palate-cleanser before I can go on to the next TNG episode.

Okay, I'll shut up now. :-)

Edited by Corylea

Sign in to follow this