Sign in to follow this  
Guest Andrew98

Lonely Among Us

^ LMAO, yeah.

I love how no one else is particularly surprised at her behavior, they're all like "business as usual, nothing weird to see here, she always acts this way". It cracks me up, actually.

Watched this again just now as Syfy's now showing the HD versions of the first season and I have to say they've done one hell of a job cleaning things up even if I did spend most of the hour noticing things in the background I'd never noticed before :giggle:

Did I see the same episode as everybody else? The one I saw was some half-assed plot about transporting delegates who chow down on each other (not in a good way, either) and the crew all being possessed by what looked like force-lightning?!? It's only value (for me, anyway) was as 'Galaxy Quest'-type parody. I am STILL shocked when I see the name D.C. Fontana in the credits; she wrote some of the BEST episodes of TOS and even TAS.

Where do I begin?

* First, the whole 'important' mission to Parliament subplot/murder is never resolved. So much for this 'vital' conference....

* Dear dumb-dumb Dr. Crusher is missing a nice chunk of her day's memory (after her possession) and doesn't even THINK to report it to anyone?!? Like, I dunno, just spitballing here... the SHIP'S COUNSELOR, perhaps?!? Instead, she waits for her son to point it out to her. Jeezus, if that character were any more stupid, they'd find her head was full of straw....

* The Sherlock Holmes subplot; I love Sherlock Holmes (the books, the Jeremy Brett series and the new BBC series); read the books in middle school and ADORED them. But the SH subplot in this episode was (like everything else in this episode) pointless. It didn't help solve the mystery, nor the murder. It was just a dumb excuse for Brent Spiner to act 'cute.'

* Picard and the 'vagueness' of the whole energy being plot. His bulls**t talk of wanting to merge with the entity and explore, become pure energy, blah, blah, blah.... It all just sounds like some crap you'd hear at a poetry reading for the recently lobotomized. Honestly, vague is the best word to describe pretty much everything that happens in this episode. Murders occur, then are forgotten. People are possessed... then not. Picard is turned into an energy cloud.... then safely beamed back aboard. It's an episode of non-event, really; kind of the same problem I had with much of early TNG; I spend half the time just waiting for the story to get underway... and it never really does. None of this changes or affects our characters in any significant ways (a hallmark of pre-Michael Piller ST-TNG).

* The whole energy of this episode is so.... down. The music, the acting, even the dialogue. It's like the whole crew is on a strict diet of hashish and barbiturates.....

I'm sure it looks a lot better on bluray, but all I can recall is how utterly BAD it was... :thumbdown:

PS: The ONLY good thing I could say about it: When Picard is overtaken by the alien cloud thingy? Stewart's performance is genuinely odd and disturbing. The rest of the cast just acted stoned when they were 'possessed'...

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Sehlat, it's a season 1 episode and an early one at that. You can't expect much plot-wise in the first place. ;) If you take that into account, the episode is so bad that it's actually brilliant because it's insanely funny without intending to be.

Sehlat, it's a season 1 episode and an early one at that. You can't expect much plot-wise in the first place. ;) If you take that into account, the episode is so bad that it's actually brilliant because it's insanely funny without intending to be.

On that point, I can only agree.

I'd almost rank it as bad as "Angel One", "Justice" and Picard yelling, 'shut up Wesley.' :laugh:

It's also one of those "seriously, you-let-Beverly-practice-medicine-on-this-ship?" episodes as well (with the non-reporting of her memory loss).

When Wesley asks his mom an innocent, 'you don't remember'? She practically yells at him, "HONESTLY, I don't remember!" as if he'd been badgering her under interrogation lights.

Angel One and Justice .... still a long way to plummet from there *cough*CodeofHonour*Cough*

:D

I think I had successfully blotted Code of Honor completely out of my conscious mind.... until now. :huh2:

But "Lonely Among Us" is still some powerfully bad s**t, though....

:thumbdown:

"Lonely Among Us" ranks among my top 10 TNG episodes, lol. But even I have to agree that "Code of Honor" is nothing but AWFUL in EVERY possible way. (Well except for the scenes with Jean-Luc, of course, heh, but then, I am biased.)

"Lonely Among Us" ranks among my top 10 TNG episodes, lol. But even I have to agree that "Code of Honor" is nothing but AWFUL in EVERY possible way. (Well except for the scenes with Jean-Luc, of course, heh, but then, I am biased.)

I have to agree; now that I actually remember it (my 'memory cap' was ruptured, ala Total Recall)? CoH was just about the worst thing TNG ever brought to the table.

Made "Lonely..." look like "Lawrence of Arabia"....

Okay, this episode is, like I said, number 10 on my top 10 TNG episodes list - and LET ME JUST SAY WHY. It's one of the funniest TNG episodes, like I said, because it doesn't INTEND to be funny. It's typical season 1 hilarity and it has me in tears whenever I watch it because, well, it's just so bad that it's brilliant.

First of all, LET US LOVE THE DRESS UNIFORM. I just love Jean-Luc in his dashing season 1 & 2 DRESS uniform because it just looks so good on him. Too bad he only wears it so briefly in this episode, but hey, briefly is better than not at all, methinks.

Also, I just love the sub plot of this episode. I loooove the Selay and the Anticans and how they bicker at one another. (I doubt ANYONE at Parliament could bring peace to these two, seriously. Not even Riva could do that, lol.) I love how the Anticans use basically every excuse to run around the ship in order to hunt Selay and how the Selay catch people with that shiny green thing. "What is that doing on our deck?!" and "These are not weapons, first officer, they are tools." OF COURSE they are. I wish they had done more with this plot, it would've been even more hilarious, but then, maybe a bit less is more in this case, who knows.

Now, the main plot. What can I say? It's amazingly awesome because it has so many hilarious moments. One of my favorite aspects is that no one notices that Crusher has basically gone bonkers. I love how no one pays it any mind - this says a lot about how they perceive her, they see nothing unusual about her stating the obvious about helm control, they see nothing unusual about her not knowing where the sciene stations are located on the bridge, they see nothing unusual about her asking questions about dilithim crystals and then walking out when she realizes that they have nothing to do with helm control, lol. Data sums it up best: "Intriguing, Doctor. What does helm control have to do with medical cross-checks?" LMFAO. This really says it all about her and her character and her behavior, I don't even have to add anything else.

Another rather weak moment is the whole scene with Riker and Crusher in Jean-Luc's office when they try to make him go to sickbay. They both stand there and whine at him and neither of them can put their fist on the table and demand for him to let himself be examined. Some mutiny there, eh. He practically out-sasses them with a few grumpy sentences and they all but run out of the ready room. If this had been Pulaski, she'd have gone in there alone and dragged him with her to sickbay, no excuses, chief medical officer's authority acted out.

Also, can we have some love for Mr. Singh? I really like the guy and I think it's a shame they killed him off. He really was nice. I also love how he actually has the guts to say "But, sir" to Jean-Luc (of course, the answer is "By the time we reach Parliament, Mr. Singh IS THAT CLEAR I WILL NOT REPEAT MYSELF AGAIN", but still, it takes some guts to actually try to make your captain understand that finding out just why apparently completely unrelated system malfunctions have occured is not a task that can be done within a few hours).

And then there's the whole Sherlock Holmes thing that gets started in this episode. I love how Data rambles on about the Anticans and the Selay and why they are no longer suspects in the Singh murder case and how annoyed Yar is and how Riker just grins throughout the entire scene. It's adorable, but then, I have a soft spot for Riker/Data, haha.

Can we also talk about how adorably sassy Jean-Luc becomes when he gets "combined" with that energy being? "Malfunctioning?! You're wrong, look again." The adorable look on his face in that scene! (Btw, I absolutely understand the desire to be "combined" with Jean-Luc. Ahem. Sorry. Got a bit carried away there.) AND CAN WE PLEASE LOVE THE BLUE BEAMS OF DOOM? I love that scene, it's so badly acted by pretty much everyone except for Sir Patrick (well he just had to stand there and look srs), I love how they all scream around and pretend that they can't move, oh dear, it's so hilarious!

And then there is this wonderful Picard/Riker scene in which Jean-Luc starts to explain why the energy being and him have to be everyone's new OTP (by the way, check out one of the secondary bridge characters in the background, he's totally checking out Jean-Luc's butt, I SWEAR I'm not making this up, not that I can blame him, of course) and then he stands in front of everyone and Riker basically just asks questions and then suddenly Jean-Luc declares that he has resigned from Starfleet and that is when Riker loses it. "I refuse to allow this!" The NO DON'T LEAVE ME YOU CAN'T DO THIS TO ME CAPTAIN look on his face!!! Also, the continued scene in which he has to order LaForge to move on, in which Jean-Luc is gone and he has to make the decision for the Enterprise to resume their course to Parliament. The look of pain, worry and anger on his face... I just can't. These two!

And Jean-Luc's grumpy return to the Enterprise in the transporter room (let's not mention that the whole thing makes no sense whatsoever, shall we, this is season 1 where little makes sense at any given time) and how Troi points out that he's confused (I never would have guessed!) and how he glares at everyone. "What the devil am I doing here?!" Bless him.

This episode gets a 9/10. It has to because I actually think it takes brilliance to make an episode that is so bad so hilarious that it's actually brilliant.

The favorite quote of the moment award goes to the Selay delegate, for his "Sorry, wrong species!" line when they catch Riker. CRACKS ME UP. Still. Every. Single. Time. The way he looks up and down on Riker and then delivers that line - lmfao!

My favorite JLP scene is the final one in which Yar comes running into the transporter room and is all horrified about the cook being asked to prepare the Selay delegate for a meal for the Anticans and Jean-Luc is all like "take charge, Number One I'M OUTTA HERE, KTHXBAI" and just leaves and Yar stares at Riker, lmfao!!! I just love his sass right there, what does he care that there are cannibal aliens aboard his ship, lmfao! Hilarious! (I know he has just been told to relax and get some rest and whatnot but it's still hilarious.)

This one is so textbook bad in every single way.

It's the "Plan Nine From Outer Space" of ST-TNG.

Not so shockingly bad as "Code of Honor" (which is a hot pile of racist mess) but the sheer AWKWARDNESS of this episode is simply painful to watch.

Brilliant TOS writer Dorothy Fontana (!?!?!) trying to capture her "Journey To Babel" glory days, and (either through interference or too many cooks syndrome) falling flat on her face.

I agree with all of your points, Mr P; the funniest being how Crusher essentially goes insane and NO ONE notices!! Or as I pointed out in my assessment on page one, she has missing memory (as pointed out by her son) and doesn't seem to give a damn. Like it's an everyday thing; maybe hard-drinking blackouts are a fact of daily life in the Crusher family... :giggle:

And yes, a delegate is MURDERED by any delegate and yet NO punitive action is taken whatsoever. The whole crew just seems to have an 'oh well.... s#!t happens' attitude about EVERYTHING in this one. Yar the security chief WALKS to the transporter room to tell them this, too! Seriously; are the intercoms broken? Have the combadges all turned into decorative broaches now? You couldn't order a ship wide alert? Or at LEAST take the other delegates into the brig for questioning?!? I think poor Dorothy Fontana should've watched her own "Journey to Babel" again before she wrote this episode...

Another rather weak moment is the whole scene with Riker and Crusher in Jean-Luc's office when they try to make him go to sickbay. They both stand there and whine at him and neither of them can put their fist on the table and demand for him to let himself be examined. Some mutiny there, eh. He practically out-sasses them with a few grumpy sentences and they all but run out of the ready room. If this had been Pulaski, she'd have gone in there alone and dragged him with her to sickbay, no excuses, chief medical officer's authority acted out.

Oh yes, Riker and his merry band of wussy would-be mutineers! That was hilarious!! The whole GROUP of them could've barged in with phasers drawn and Picard would've just laughed them out of the ready room. It's like being physically accosted by a two year old. Pulaski would've probably have just stunned Picard until the energy being left him. That 'mutiny' subplot (there were about 604 subplots in this episode...) just made the command crew look useless. Nice writing there, guys...

I think I need to take your advice and not watch this as a ST episode, but rather as a parody of a ST episode. :giggle:

Edited by Sehlat Vie

I think I need to take your advice and not watch this as a ST episode, but rather as a parody of a ST episode. :giggle:

Exactly. XD Someone on Tumblr recently complained about this episode as well, basically saying all that you said about it. I pointed out to them that they're taking it too seriously and too literally. It really gets hilarious once you've gotten past a certain point, trust me. It's an awkward episode, that's for sure, but that's another reason why it's so brilliant. I realize that it was never intended to be a comedy episode, but if one chooses to view it as one, it becomes one of TNG's finest.

lmfao, I never realized that about Yar... I always thought she was just in the neighborhood of the transporter room anyway when she got the message from security and that's why she came running in. It's hilarious how everyone is like "meh, cannibal aliens, duh" in that scene, but then, I think this scene WAS intended to be funny. The problem is that their reactions are basically really out of character, lol.

And yes, jokes aside, that mutiny plot is why this episode doesn't have a 10/10 in my book. THAT one was REALLY stupid, I agree. It really doesn't make ANY of them look competent, ESPECIALLY not Riker and Crusher.

And yes, jokes aside, that mutiny plot is why this episode doesn't have a 10/10 in my book. THAT one was REALLY stupid, I agree. It really doesn't make ANY of them look competent, ESPECIALLY not Riker and Crusher.

Wouldn't want to break Crusher's 100% incompetence streak now, would we? :laugh:

Wouldn't want to break Crusher's 100% incompetence streak now, would we? :laugh:

I was tempted to add "but then, when did she EVER look competent", actually... lol.

I was tempted to add "but then, when did she EVER look competent", actually... lol.

I love the scene where she's talking to Wes and after he reminds her of 'little episode' of lost memory, and she says, "HONESTLY!! I don't remember!"

She delivers the line about 10 times more excitedly than she needed to. It was almost like she was responding to a lawyer badgering her under oath! So funny how she suddenly bursts into overdrive with the acting.

Oh well, at least she didn't growl like Worf does when he's 'infected.'

Hahaha I love the scene in which she starts nagging at him about dilithium crystals and then is all like 'would this affect navigation' and he almost rolls his eyes and is all like "no this is engineering, not helm control", I always keep waiting for him to add "GOD, how stupid ARE you, I ain't even bothered anymore", lol - and doesn't even WONDER why she's asking such a completely stupid question. He just sits there and is all like "geeeeeeez!", loool.

Yeah she didn't... I love how she just walks out of sickbay and how Troi gapes at her for doing so... but she's also not wondering about her strange behavior AT ALL, lmfao. Not even the empath notices anything wrong, loool.

Hahaha I love the scene in which she starts nagging at him about dilithium crystals and then is all like 'would this affect navigation' and he almost rolls his eyes and is all like "no this is engineering, not helm control", I always keep waiting for him to add "GOD, how stupid ARE you, I ain't even bothered anymore", lol - and doesn't even WONDER why she's asking such a completely stupid question. He just sits there and is all like "geeeeeeez!", loool.

Yeah she didn't... I love how she just walks out of sickbay and how Troi gapes at her for doing so... but she's also not wondering about her strange behavior AT ALL, lmfao. Not even the empath notices anything wrong, loool.

And NOBODY reports ANYTHING to ANYONE in this episode! All the affected crewmen waltz around spaced out and stupid (although for Crusher this might be perceived as normal behavior) and all the people they encounter just kind of shrug their shoulders and say, "Meh. Whattyagonnado?"

And NOBODY reports ANYTHING to ANYONE in this episode! All the affected crewmen waltz around spaced out and stupid (although for Crusher this might be perceived as normal behavior) and all the people they encounter just kind of shrug their shoulders and say, "Meh. Whattyagonnado?"

That is PRECISELY one of the major reasons why this episode is so hilarious. ;) Everyone does whatever the hell they want, no one reports anything unusual, the mutiny doesn't even deserve a "there was an attempt" Tumblr star, cannibal aliens are running through the corridors and hunting each other all the time and the laws of how transporters work are non-existent. Like I said, comedy gold. ;)

That is PRECISELY one of the major reasons why this episode is so hilarious. ;) Everyone does whatever the hell they want, no one reports anything unusual, the mutiny doesn't even deserve a "there was an attempt" Tumblr star, cannibal aliens are running through the corridors and hunting each other all the time and the laws of how transporters work are non-existent. Like I said, comedy gold. ;)

Even more funny when you remember that this is the crew of the FLAGSHIP. :laugh:

Even more funny when you remember that this is the crew of the FLAGSHIP. :laugh:

Congratulations! You're now beginning to watch the episode from my viewpoint, mon ami. ;)

tumblr_m3z7jm9PnW1qdvfaso1_400.gif

Congratulations! You're now beginning to watch the episode from my viewpoint, mon ami. ;)

tumblr_m3z7jm9PnW1qdvfaso1_400.gif

I'm old... it takes a while. The hamster who turns the wheel in my brain just passed away.... :laugh:

I just recently tried to re-watch this one (again).

Oh goodness, is it bad.

But a random silly thought did cross my mind: Mr. Singh has sung his last song... :giggle:

lonelyamong088.jpglonelyamong090.jpg

It's still one of my top ten episodes. I have a blast whenever I am fortunate enough to find it on my "and the next episode to enjoy is..." list. Early TNG isn't for everyone, though.

It's still one of my top ten episodes. I have a blast whenever I am fortunate enough to find it on my "and the next episode to enjoy is..." list. Early TNG isn't for everyone, though.

If only I could see it with your eyes, my friend... ;)

Sign in to follow this