Sign in to follow this  
Guest Andrew98

Code Of Honor

Guest wesley67

Episode Name: Code Of Honor

Episode Number: 4

Season: 1

Director: Russ Mayberry

This was all right. But I don't think its one of the best episodes in season 1. This is probably because the show's just begun and its on its still getting into the stories. So, I think this episode is no big deal.

What are your thoughts?

Ugh. I must admit that "Code Of Honor" is one of my least favorite season 1 episodes... :S But it does have a few good scenes, like the one in which Jean-Luc shows up in order to talk to Lutan, pretending to be THE macho man. (He might be able to fool Lutan, but I don't buy it. Not for even one second. ;) )

I also kinda like how the episode ends, I love how Lutan gets 'demoted' to 'second one' by Yareena. Mwahahaha! :thumbsup2:

I agree, 'Code of Honour' is my least favourite episode that I've seen so far. I think it can be very offensive.

I agree, 'Code of Honour' is my least favourite episode that I've seen so far. I think it can be very offensive.

Yeah, I think Brent Spiner called the episode 'racist' at a recent convention or something (if I remember correctly)... it can be offensive indeed. *nod*

You two have pretty much said what my thoughts are on it, so I will just say I agree.

Episode Name: Code Of Honor

Episode Number: 4

Season: 1

Director: Russ Mayberry

This was all right. But I don't think its one of the best episodes in season 1. This is probably because the show's just begun and its on its still getting into the stories. So, I think this episode is no big deal.

What are your thoughts?

Did not like it.

I'm somewhat neutral about it since there were some aspects of the show I though were interesting, but I can live the rest of my life without seeing it again. The "racist" accusation is something I don't get though. Maybe it's because I haven't seen it since the late '80s, but would someone mind explaining specifically how the episode can be considered "racist?"

:dontgetit:

Well - yeah. 20 years later it can come off that way. It, along with Up the Long Ladder really played up some stereotypical archtypes of tribal Africans and Irish. They're just tough to watch now. At least for me they are....

I didn't see how it was offensive. Mind you, my family originally hails from Africa.

What made me like this ep was the ending when the new couple tries to explain AGAIN what being "civilized" means.

I didn't see how it was offensive. Mind you, my family originally hails from Africa.

What made me like this ep was the ending when the new couple tries to explain AGAIN what being "civilized" means.

That's cool! :):dance::disco:

I can understand everyone's arguments here about "Code Of Honor." But, aside from that, I thought it was an episode that definately expanded more on Tasha...there was definately more to her than just "Hailing frequencies open, sir."

Well - yeah. 20 years later it can come off that way...really played up some stereotypical archtypes of tribal Africans...

Maybe it's because I saw them as an alien civilization, but I just didn't get that impression. In other words, I didn't think to myself "oh, this must be like real life."

:WarBird:

Missed this thread as well lol I did not like this episode at all either...I'll definately skip this one on the season 1 dvd.

Edited by JayTheTrekkie

I can understand everyone's arguments here about "Code Of Honor." But, aside from that, I thought it was an episode that definately expanded more on Tasha...there was definately more to her than just "Hailing frequencies open, sir."

You took the words right out of my mouth there, Gary. I like how the episode builds her character a bit more. But despite it being a little more Tasha-centric than most of the other season 1 episodes, it's really not my favorite. I think it was trying to be too much like TOS (especially with the background music, what was up with that?).

And where was Worf in all of this? As a Klingon I'm sure he'd know more about honor than the rest of the crew.

Well, honor from a *Klingon* perspective. Some of what they (Klingons) consider honorable, Humans wouldn't. Each culture thinks of honor in slightly different ways.

And where was Worf in all of this? As a Klingon I'm sure he'd know more about honor than the rest of the crew.

Yeah but "Klingons appreciate strong women" for example, according to Worf. I'm not sure if he'd fancy the idea of women being basically viewed as stupid and "highly pleasant things" and important because of their land only (I know, another TNG Sexist!FAIL). I dunno... it doesn't sound very Klingon to me. I just have a feeling he might view Lutan and his abduction of Tasha as somewhat dishonorable. lol It's like Ael said, "honor" has different meanings for different cultures.

Well, honor from a *Klingon* perspective. Some of what they (Klingons) consider honorable, Humans wouldn't. Each culture thinks of honor in slightly different ways.

I'm sure the Romulans would concur with that, since mnhei'sahe is very different from the Klingon concept of honor.

Edited by PhantBat

I really don't like this episode, it's very "TOS At It's Worst" like. I find Tasha to be quite annoying, so an episode surrounding her really doesn't stand a chance unless it's "Yesterday's Enterprise" of course. I didn't like what they wrote for the Riker character in this episode either, he came across as being a bit of a dick. I'll give this one a 3.

Worst TNG ever.

A big, fat zero.

Not only is it a total ripoff of TOS' "Amok Time" (about a wedding/fight to the death), but it so SHOCKINGLY racially offensive that it appears to have been made in the 1930s.

You should've heard Michael Dorn and LeVar Burton at Grand Slam 2013 a couple weeks ago; they totally ripped this episode a new one. They were so funny when the two of them just dug into this episode. I took a few pics; here's one of them (the smile on Burton's face was from their joking about "Code of Honor"):

8481248468_4157d1fd08.jpg

They called it "Planet of the Black People." And Michael Dorn did a hilarious impression of the tribal leader's line, "You will haaave nooo vaccine, no Lt. Yar" in his best Jeffrey Holder-style voice. Utterly hysterical! Both guys also talked about how this planet has transporters, advanced weapons and medical technology, yet the men carry sticks (!?!) and wear loincloths and turbans and speak like cliched African tribesmen in a bad, 1940s movie. And they also remarked at the planet's utter lack of apparent racial diversity. Even Vulcans and other races have darker/lighter skin tones throughout their genomes. Dorn said he'd had a friend over recently and this episode was on TV and he kind of apologized for it. Burton said that this was one of those episodes that even the producers knew was an instant mistake, but at the time, they only had two episodes produced (CoH and "Naked Now") so they couldn't even do a rerun yet. It was either play the episode or play nothing.

Seriously, this episode is a total embarrassment; a solid ZERO. It's not even entertainingly bad (ala "Spock's Brain" or "Way to Eden"). It's just bad....

But... but... what about the "MISTER DATA THE FRENCH LANGUAGE FOR CENTURIES ON EARTH REPRESENTED CIVILIZATION" rant? :( lol No, seriously, the episode is insanely bad and 'frankly embarrassing' ( :P )... but then there's me who always finds something note-worthy because of Jean-Luc, so, never mind me. But even I wonder if the "playing nothing" idea wouldn't have been the actual better one...

Sign in to follow this