Sign in to follow this  
Voyager

Undiscovered Country

Voyager   

I was just thinking today; you know how Shakespeare is quoted a lot through this film, I was just curious if the title was an intentional quotation of Hamlet. I would presume so, considering that it would be a big coincidence if it wasn't.

Tone720   
I was just thinking today; you know how Shakespeare is quoted a lot through this film, I was just curious if the title was an intentional quotation of Hamlet. I would presume so, considering that it would be a big coincidence if it wasn't.

Yeah it is fully intentional and I believe the 'Undiscovered Country' line is also quoted when Kirk is dining with the Klingons

Voyager   

I thought it was; it's a pretty clever quote to pick out, considering how well it fits in.

I am constant as the Northern Star!

Have we not heard the chimes at Midnight?

Tickle us, do we not laugh? Prick us, do we not bleed? Wrong us...do we not revenge?

Tickle us, do we not laugh? Prick us, do we not bleed? Wrong us...do we not revenge?

I prefer Data's paraphrasing: "If you prick me, do I not... leak?"

Admiral   
I prefer Data's paraphrasing: "If you prick me, do I not... leak?"

Yeah, really. I think it had to do with Nicholas Meyer's view that Star Trek was a Horatio Hornblower adventure.

I love the Shakespearean aspect of Star Trek writing. I was sad to see it diminish as the years went by for the franchise.

You can thank the post-TNG series' for that. TNG was certainly the pinnacle of using Shakespeare as a wonderful means of storytelling, analogy and morality.

I just finished watching Wrath of Khan...

And Khan spouts Moby Dick by Herman Melville throughout most of the film.

And if memory serves Picard quotes Melville in First Contact as well..

Star Trek loves the classics!

And he piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it.

Jean Luc Picard.

Picard actually misquotes Melville...or paraphrases rather.

The actual quote is:

"He piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it."

Picard actually misquotes Melville...or paraphrases rather.

Okay, so? You get the jist of it, don't you?

Yeah, you git the gist...I was just pointing out it's not the full quote.

Well, it's the same if you also look at Khan's use of quotes.

"I'll chase him around the Antares maelstrom and round Nibia and round Perdition's Flame before I give him up!"

As we all know...there is no Antares maelstrom on Earth...so, just like Jean-Luc Picard, Khan is paraphrasing.

Sign in to follow this