Sign in to follow this  
Lt Gos

Always an option?

Lt Gos   

In First Contact, the crew were able to duplicate the conditions to allow themselves to travel back to the correct timeframe (i.e 2372) after making sure Zefram Cochrane made his warp flight.

Does this mean that the crew and ship would be able to use the same technique to travel back to 2063 (or any other time period) whenever they wanted, or was it just a one off?

I guess they could've, but they just didn't feel like it. "Hey, Captain!" "Yes, Number One?" "Let's go back to 2063 and pull a prank on Cochrane!" "Nah...don't really feel like it today, Number One."

Tone720   

wasn't Sisko travelling back to Kirk's time deliberate?

and lest we forget The Voyage Home?

Difference is he got pulled up by the Time Cops (sic) for it

There probably are directives against it somewhere, plus wasn't the Enterprise E using 'residual tachyons' or some other convenient plot device to get back?

Lt Gos   

I'd actually forgotten about the residual tachyons DFD, thanks for reminding me. I didn't mean in my original question for the crew to go back and play jokes on Cochrane, but to use the ability if another enemy used the same trick and went back to a pivotal moment in Earth's history to stop something happening.

Oh...I see. It would've been funny to do that, anyway, right? C'mon...like...if Cochrane was in the WC, and they transported him aboard while he was in there...HA!!

Glenn   

The Voyage Home was sun slingshot, and that technique is good if you've got a Vulcan aboard.

First Contact was a specific type of tachyon-based chronometric particle wake designed specifically to target 2063, so while you could always return to 2063, you couldn't hop around time. But why would you want to? At such a pivotal moment in human history, who would want to alter anything, or run the risk of altering anything?

"Trials and Tribble-ations" (DS9) was the Orb of Time, and nobody knows how the flip they work...

Lt Gos   

I suppose that if historians from the future wanted to witness first hand such a monumental point in history, then it would be useful.

The Voyage Home was sun slingshot, and that technique is good if you've got a Vulcan aboard.

They had some time to practice it in "Tomorrow is Yesterday" :)

robjkay   
In First Contact, the crew were able to duplicate the conditions to allow themselves to travel back to the correct timeframe (i.e 2372) after making sure Zefram Cochrane made his warp flight.

Does this mean that the crew and ship would be able to use the same technique to travel back to 2063 (or any other time period) whenever they wanted, or was it just a one off?

SF always had the capability to travel back into time since TOS, but due to the Temporal Prime Directive it's suppose to prevent all Starfleet personnel from doing so.

Glenn   

There's always the Temporal Accord. Nobody knows when that was drawn up... maybe a backroom Starfleet 22nd Century 'crat?

Daien   

I'd figure some sort of rule would exist, as many often end up quoting the Prime Directive and contaminating the timeline in those situations. As for doing it because one can, I doubly Starfleet Command would look fondly on that.

Tone720   
As for doing it because one can, I doubly Starfleet Command would look fondly on that.

It's the kind of thing only Kirk would deliberately do.

Sign in to follow this