Sign in to follow this  
Voyager

Betazoids

It makes more sense than any of the theories I tried to come up with.

But line of sight is probably the best explanation out there.

Yeah, that's a good way of explaining it; it still becomes a little cloudy when it comes to sensing emotions from people on a planet, but since the example I'm thinking of is when she was sensing Riker, someone she's close to I expect that would be why.

I would assume that if some emotional attachment involved it would increase the ability of sensing emotions and maybe even the thoughts of a loved one.

and on a completely different topic---If a human orphan was raised by a Vulcan adopted mother from infancy would the human be a logic based as a vulcan and I have pretty much the same question with a klingon.

I always took that she needed someone or something to help her sense emotions. Like a line of sight, seeing someone on the view screen. You really do not know where that person is but as long as you are able to direct your senses or the she has the general vicinity Troi would be able to sense there emotions. But I don't think she can sense a Romulans on a cloaked ship by sensing emotions except for maybe having a very strong bond with another empath like what happened on Nemisis.

Hope that made sense! :biggrin:

I agree, In Nemesis the Scimatar was as cloaked as cloaked gets...Troi was able to hunt down that Reman (another telepath) and BLAMMO...!

Yeah it is always a good thing when you can track down an enemy telepath who helped mentally rape you and blow them to Kingdom Kom

if I may divert from the original topic a little, If a human orphan was raised by a Vulcan adopted mother from infancy would the human be a logic based as a Vulcan? I have pretty much the same question with a Klingon.

if I may divert from the original topic a little, If a human orphan was raised by a Vulcan adopted mother from infancy would the human be a logic based as a Vulcan? I have pretty much the same question with a Klingon.

It would try to be logic based, but being the infant is not a vulcan eventually its emotions and feeling will take over. Take a look at Worf which is a prime example, being he was raised at a very young age by a human couple. His Klingon side came out many times making him very difficult to take care of or control.

We've also seen instances of Cardassian orphans being raised by Bajorans and having the same level of hate and contempt towards other Cardassians that many Bajorans feel.

And in TNG we saw that a human child had been raised by Talarians i think it was, and that he had become integrated into their culture and society.

We've also seen instances of Cardassian orphans being raised by Bajorans and having the same level of hate and contempt towards other Cardassians that many Bajorans feel.

And in TNG we saw that a human child had been raised by Talarians i think it was, and that he had become integrated into their culture and society.

I think its one thing to have the same feeling or thought that your parents have no matter what race you are. But when a certain race like a human adopts a child from a different race. That childs races traits is not going to go away, eventually there going to surface kind of like any child when they hit the age of puberty.

Guest Andrew98

I do like betazoids and their ability to read minds. I think this was really good to put in the star trek universe because they are intelligent and its a pity they can't read Ferengi's thoughts. Another pity they made a mistake in the episode "the battle" where Troi sensed great deception on Bok's part and danger. It can either be one or the either. Not both.

Sign in to follow this