Sign in to follow this  
Voyager

Betazoids

We know they have the ability to sense other people's emotions, but what exactly is their range? I mean Troi was able to sense the feelings of others who were as far away as being on a planet and she was only half Betazoid, so they must be able to sense a very long way.

Well her mother was a full betazoid and could sense more then only feelings, but just could read your mind. The could at least read the mind of an entire ship, but not of ferengi's and there family-races.

The range, well that's different. Maybe also about the strenght of the mind from the person where they're connected with.

It's never really said how far their physical range is...but it's pretty far. Encounter to Farpoint - she could sense the being in space. And in Menage a Troi, she talks to her mother from anywhere on the Ferengi ship. And Nemesis is right, they're unable to sense Ferengi and Ullians and others with "four lobed" brains? (or something like that....)

It's never really said how far their physical range is...but it's pretty far. Encounter to Farpoint - she could sense the being in space. And in Menage a Troi, she talks to her mother from anywhere on the Ferengi ship. And Nemesis is right, they're unable to sense Ferengi and Ullians and others with "four lobed" brains? (or something like that....)

So basically, we could say that they can sense to a range that's convenient for the episode?

I was always bothered by the display on Star Trek that it never showed any laws restricting what individuals with such mental powers as telepathy or other empathic abilities. There also seemed to be little evidence that people were required to use any form of self restraint when using their abilities.

People with such abilities were very rarely shown to have any restraint (the instance I'm thinking of is of Janeway telling Tuvok not to engage in mind melds without her consent) or any consequences for just going around and reading peoples minds. Granted in the Federation you wouldn't expect to see a Psi-Corp (Babylon 5) type agency on patrol of telepaths, but at the same time there should be some sort of consequences for people when it becomes obvious they're not practicing self restraint.

Deana was guilty of this somewhat, but it more effects people like Tam Elbran who had full on telepathy.

I can't recall what episode it was, but Picard was having a meeting in his ready room, in which Worf and Deanna were present. Worf said something about what course of action they should take, and Deanna called him on it, saying that he didn't really feel that way. Worf says she's wrong and she continues to push it.

That scene always bothered me, because what business was it of hers, and furthermore, what right did she have to go around telling the crew about it. It wasn't like she pulled him to the side and mentioned it to him in private, she just blurted it out in the middle of a meeting. And yes it likely wasn't any big thing, but it still shows a lack of self restraint on her part. Worf wasn't putting the ship in danger, but there was Troi, invading his personal space to what I took to be an overwhelming degree.

Then you have Tam Elbran who was just a straight up telepath. Not only did he use his abilities whenever it benefited him, but not one ever mentioned anything about him having to maintain any sort of personal restraint. And there sure didn't seem to be any larger consequences for using his telepathy, except the annoyance of Riker.

Ok, so this doesn't really have anything to do with Voyager's question, but I jut figured I'd hi-jack her thread and bring it up. :P

Maybe the range also has to do with how powerful the being is that she is trying to sense, how emotionally close she is to whomever she is sensing. Like, it's not just about her power of "receiving" someone's thoughts but also the strength of the "signal".

^ Good point. In the novels there seems to be quite a distance for her, but again she might be dealing with species whose presence compensates.....

I was always bothered by the display on Star Trek that it never showed any laws restricting what individuals with such mental powers as telepathy or other empathic abilities. There also seemed to be little evidence that people were required to use any form of self restraint when using their abilities.

People with such abilities were very rarely shown to have any restraint (the instance I'm thinking of is of Janeway telling Tuvok not to engage in mind melds without her consent) or any consequences for just going around and reading peoples minds. Granted in the Federation you wouldn't expect to see a Psi-Corp (Babylon 5) type agency on patrol of telepaths, but at the same time there should be some sort of consequences for people when it becomes obvious they're not practicing self restraint.

Deana was guilty of this somewhat, but it more effects people like Tam Elbran who had full on telepathy.

I can't recall what episode it was, but Picard was having a meeting in his ready room, in which Worf and Deanna were present. Worf said something about what course of action they should take, and Deanna called him on it, saying that he didn't really feel that way. Worf says she's wrong and she continues to push it.

That scene always bothered me, because what business was it of hers, and furthermore, what right did she have to go around telling the crew about it. It wasn't like she pulled him to the side and mentioned it to him in private, she just blurted it out in the middle of a meeting. And yes it likely wasn't any big thing, but it still shows a lack of self restraint on her part. Worf wasn't putting the ship in danger, but there was Troi, invading his personal space to what I took to be an overwhelming degree.

Then you have Tam Elbran who was just a straight up telepath. Not only did he use his abilities whenever it benefited him, but not one ever mentioned anything about him having to maintain any sort of personal restraint. And there sure didn't seem to be any larger consequences for using his telepathy, except the annoyance of Riker.

Ok, so this doesn't really have anything to do with Voyager's question, but I jut figured I'd hi-jack her thread and bring it up. :P

You know - Riker does call her a blue-blooded something or other when she "looses" her abilities in "The Loss." It's a good cahracter flaw I think. (and one that I'm currently exploring in my fanfic... :) )

I totally agree with you. I became rather irritated with Troi in 'We'll Always have Paris' when she goes to Dr Crusher to try and force her to talk about how she felt with this woman from Picard's past. What right did she have to go nosing around other people's business. I felt the same way in the episode 'Loud as a whisper', when she's interrogating Worf in the transporter Room.

If Deanna can only sense feelings how can she have a two way telepathic conversation with her mother unless her mother is making the connection.

She can only sense the emotional status of non-Betazoids....Betazoids she's just fine with.

Also why was Shinzon with the help of the Reman, and that one memory recovery guy for some TNG episode able to telepathically rape her cause they are other species.

But that was their power, not hers - she didn't initiate the telepathic contact, she was just more susceptible to it.

so a Vulcan could have been attacked just as well or do we not have a clue?

Actually, I never thought about that. I'd probably have to say "yes", but we just don't know enough.

What I'm saying is, we are not given enough information. The fact that they specifically came after Deanna can either mean that she was an easier prey due to her own telepathic ability - or that they simply wanted to go after a high-ranking female on the ship. So your guess is as good as mine.

What I'm saying is, we are not given enough information. The fact that they specifically came after Deanna can either mean that she was an easier prey due to her own telepathic ability - or that they simply wanted to go after a high-ranking female on the ship. So your guess is as good as mine.

Some telepaths can exchange thoughts only with others of their own species, some can send but not receive, and some can receive but not send. Betazoids, for one example, can send their thoughts only to other empaths and telepaths, but can receive thoughts and feelings from almost any being's mind, psionically gifted or not.

In some races, telepathy is present in all healthy individuals. In other species, such as Humans, telepathy appears only infrequently. And certain species, notably the Ferengi, are never telepathic. Often such species cannot be read even by telepaths normally capable of reading alien minds.

Extraordinarily powerful telepathic species exist. They are rare, but are extremely formidable, as they can immerse other minds in a reality of their own fabrication, much like a holodeck.

So yes it is possible that another person or race other the Troi can get mentally raped. With some other races this would be impossible! :vulcan:

I was trying to go that way, and on a side not that supports the Chances of Dr. Crusher commanding a ship of her own.

I might be wrong, but was not Dr. Crusher commanding a ship of her own a part of a failed experiment due to Wesley Crusher and not due to some telepathic person?

I might be wrong, but was not Dr. Crusher commanding a ship of her own a part of a failed experiment due to Wesley Crusher and not due to some telepathic person?

Yes, you are correct, that was an experiment gone wrong, trapping Beverly in an "alternate universe" bubble. It didn't have anything to do with telepathy.

I wasn't referring to that, I was referring to All Good Things. But you are right. Why do you never hear of Betazoid captains cause I would imagine that they would be awesome due to sensing the enemy's feeling or reading the enemy's mind.

Sign in to follow this