Sign in to follow this  
BlueArrow

If the Enterprise-D was getting the make over...

Hi all! This is my first thread here but I've been a long time reader and a recent poster to join these fine ranks. I had a thought the other day and I figured I would share it and see what you all thought. With our first look at the new look for the good ol'Connie Enterprise in Star Trek XI and the expected fandom response of disliking the thing though only a small part has been shown it occured to me... what if say 20 years from now our beloved TNG is in the same boat... meaning they reboot The Next Generation with new actors and yes... a "reimagined" Galaxy Class Enterprise; what would your thoughts be and would we be willing to see a different take on this series opposed to TOS?

Hi all! This is my first thread here but I've been a long time reader and a recent poster to join these fine ranks. I had a thought the other day and I figured I would share it and see what you all thought. With our first look at the new look for the good ol'Connie Enterprise in Star Trek XI and the expected fandom response of disliking the thing though only a small part has been shown it occured to me... what if say 20 years from now our beloved TNG is in the same boat... meaning they reboot The Next Generation http://www.theomegasector.com/style_images...link-button.png

Insert Linkwith new actors and yes... a "reimagined" Galaxy Class Enterprise; what would your thoughts be and would we be willing to see a different take on this series opposed to TOS?

Interesting. I'm not sure that the Galaxy class would need as much reimagining, and the later you get, the less reimagining required. If anything, maybe just a few tweaks and CGI update.

Maybe some of the hairstyles and outfit etc in early seasons could use it though... 80stastic :P

I would be pretty upset if they redid TNG. It would be hard to find replacements for characters that were developed so thoroughly. The Enterprise could use some refitting though, mainly weapons animations (think photon torpedoes) and battle scenes. Also, the inside was also redone for Generations already, so I think an additional refit would be unnecessary.

How funny - I'm not sure how upset I would really be. Modernizing a design, as long as the story keep true to form? I think I could handle it. God knows there are times I watch TNG and cringe with how outdated some things are now!

Never! I'll never consider that! It's already enough that we're bearing with a "new" original Star Trek. But TNG is something much different. I grew up with the Next Generation. When I was little, I always repeated Patrick Stewart's "Space, the final frontier...." monologue to my parents (who were as proud as can be for their young Trekkie!) I watched the show religiously as a small boy and I still do now. It's the original cast I grew up with! To accept a "new" TNG cast would mean the end of Trek as we know it. Not that this "new" TOS cast is any better. It was Patrick Stewart, Jonathan Frakes, and the rest of the cast who were a second family to me and I would rather die than see my beloved Next Generation taken to such mediocre levels.

Personally, I find the effects in TNG more realistic than the CGI of Voyager or Enterprise. I also believe that The Next Generation holds up better over time, and needs no re-imagining, re-mastering or re-editing of any kind.

Well 20 years from now the divide between production techniques and quality will probably be even more significant than it is between now and TOS. So if they were to do another psuedo reboot using TNG the ship would almost have to be revamped.

And I'd be fine with that. It's not a matter of disliking the originals, but quality in a lot of sfx just doesn't hold up over time.

I guess I'd leave the Trek fandom immediately (if I'm still a Trek fandom member then, of course). I'm pretty pissed off about what they're doing to TOS at the moment anyway. However, I'm able to ignore it since TOS is "only" my second-fave series - but if they did the same thing to TNG I'd be more than just upset... :thumbdown:

But a lot can happen in 20 years. I don't even know if I'll still like TNG then as much as I like it now. But it'd still upset me. *lol*

TNG was fine the way it is. If they did re do TNG, I'll still be a Star Trek fan. I think the Enterprise D will be the same we have seen before during TNG but maybe a little different from the inside perhaps and also on the bridge, engineering, sickbay, etc....

No need to re do Voyager....as they already have those special effects.

I'm not sure that the Galaxy class would need as much reimagining, and the later you get, the less reimagining required. If anything, maybe just a few tweaks and CGI update.

TNG holds up REALLY well over time. I mean, if I had to guess, I'd never pin it as a show from the 80s (even late 80s going into early 90s). Literally, maybe a handful of hairstyles and outfits give it away in some early episodes, but the ship, the aliens, and all the other CGI is just top notch.

I'd be very upset at the fact that they replaced some great characters and a great cast. I understand cleaning up old effect but why can't they keep it the right way? I am enjoying the TOS HD caps, but its taken something away from TOS at what made it differnt, the ship. The imagination is missing and they took away storylines just for the effects. Star Trek is for imagination, adventure and hope for the future. Not effects and awsome space battles. George Lucus destroyed his creation by adding in more and more effects. I always enjoyed the ship designs, whenever I see the original Enterprise I say to myself ships a lovely ship very graceful. I say the Enterprise-D looks fanstasic. I love the Enterprise-D's. If you were to take a CGI model and compare it the model ship they used. The imagination of that ship is gone. Just look at her in These are the Voyages? The ship looked wrong. They should've just left TOS alone and they should leave TNG alone. There will never be a re-cast, if there ever was for TNG I wouldn't watch it. I am giving this movie a chance, but when I see it I will not see them as I do the TOS cast or characters.

I believe Defiant Dave is referring to the fact that in the finale of Enterprise, they showed the USS Enterprise-D and they used computer graphics instead of the actual model. It made it look cartoony, just like the TOS Enterprise looks in the remastered episodes.

I believe Defiant Dave is referring to the fact that in the finale of Enterprise, they showed the USS Enterprise-D and they used computer graphics instead of the actual model. It made it look cartoony, just like the TOS Enterprise looks in the remastered episodes.

Nailed on the head.

Jay, the Enterprise was the wrong color for a start. The Enterprise wasn't that dark colored. Also the lights are wrong as well, and it looks out of place, compared to what is meant to be. We never say astroids flying past a window that fast plus.

http://ent.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/4x2...evoyages018.jpg

In fact on the rim of the ship the light are not on and there isn't that many. If you look even Ten Forward is has lights on for crying out loud. I think the episode was good, but I feel they shouldn't touch something that wasn't broken.

You can blame Gabe Koerner for that. He did the modeling for the final montage. I think he did a very good job, but yes, it wasn't exactly perfect. Then again, neither was the 1701-D CG model from Generations.

I think it's possible, depending on how TOS-HD sales, that would could see TNG get similar treatment and released on a high defininition DVD. I'm not saying that they will "Remaster" the entire series however, give it a good "spit-shine" to say the least. I would be game for that but not for a completely new graphics package for the whole series.

I think it's possible, depending on how TOS-HD sales, that would could see TNG get similar treatment and released on a high defininition DVD. I'm not saying that they will "Remaster" the entire series however, give it a good "spit-shine" to say the least. I would be game for that but not for a completely new graphics package for the whole series.

As long as it doesn't end up being like the 'remastered' Red Dwarf (where the chunky, short looking 'Dwarf was replaced with something miles long and feet thick with about 20 decks) I'll be happy. At least TOS remastering looked something like the original.

Wow...talk about anal-retentive :)

Wow, Phil Farrand and his Nitpickers Guild would be proud...

You can blame Gabe Koerner for that. He did the modeling for the final montage. I think he did a very good job, but yes, it wasn't exactly perfect. Then again, neither was the 1701-D CG model from Generations.

Actually that was the real mccoy. That was the 12 inch they used in the series. They used the other for the land scenes. The only CGI in the film was the little workbee flying around after the Enterprise crashed during Picard final log. As far as I remember the ship was the actual model. If you have the SE of Generations pop it in and watch the features, you'll see it was the models. CGI, was more in the beta stages and still used models and scaled cities.

Wow...talk about anal-retentive :)

Anal-retentive...but also very valid. I remember watching the episode the first time, I was ecstatic seeing Will, Deanna and the Enterprise again! The first time around...I didn't pay attention to the tiny details. But I watched it a few more times, and started noticing the exact things that those nitpickers were talking about. Most noticably, of course, is that horrible CG Enterprise...and so on. So, yeah...it was great to see "old friends" again, but overall...just a mess. Didn't the production designers ever think, "Hey...maybe we'll be using these TNG sets later, so why don't we save them instead of tearing them down?"

Anal-retentive...but also very valid. I remember watching the episode the first time, I was ecstatic seeing Will, Deanna and the Enterprise again! The first time around...I didn't pay attention to the tiny details. But I watched it a few more times, and started noticing the exact things that those nitpickers were talking about. Most noticably, of course, is that horrible CG Enterprise...and so on. So, yeah...it was great to see "old friends" again, but overall...just a mess. Didn't the production designers ever think, "Hey...maybe we'll be using these TNG sets later, so why don't we save them instead of tearing them down?"

You'll find they do keep the props, they got rid of the sets years ago unfortionitly. Its saddening to think we'll never see those places like the bridge, engineering, the transporter room and other parts of the Enterprise. They ruined that episode with little reguard of what would be noticed. I am still bothered by how they treated the Star Trek Enterprise cast, I also feel they should've never made that episode. For one if you watch the episode it is allegitly based on you'll note, Picard forced the truth out of Riker. This was after the Enterprise got trapped in the astroid by a Romulan Warbird. In These are the Voyages... he states that he is ready to tell Picard. So why do it? The Enterprise looked bad in CGI, it was the wrong colors and the lights were wrong and in wrong places.

It was wrong to a criminal point. The ENT guys deserved a better sendoff...one that really developed on the formation of the Federation. Even though it was nice to see Will and Deanna again, and after all those years...they still look great!

Sign in to follow this