Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Unicron

How would you improve Voyager?

99 posts in this topic

When I say reboot, let us just stay with the ship itself. How many times the ship was damaged and so damaged it would need to go to a starbase to be repaired. Since Voyager was so far away from a starbase, how did the ship get repaired?

The galaxy class starship only had around 250 photon torpedoes and how many during the whole series did Voyager shoot them off.

Yes, all series could have been better but better to what we as individuals would like to see.

I suppose with the repairs they had to mend and make do. If you're 70 years from home with your ship damaged and you have no one but yourself to make repairs, you find ways. Much like a survival situation on a deserted island. You wouldn't normally eat bugs and lizards but if it's them or starvation you suddenly become less picky ;)

There was more than one occasion where we do se them carry out major maintenance on the ship and to make the job easier they've landed the ship on a planet to do so. Voyager's size allowed them to do this and witha smaller ship i guess there's less to maintain.

Anyway Jean Luc kept running back to starbases because it was easier than doing the repairs themselves, which annoyed me because I swear they spent more time in dock somewhere than doing anything else.

As for torpedoes, I still say they re-supplied somewhere, probably through a trade. We've seen them meet arms dealers through the series as well as huge trading outposts where they can get hold of whatever they need so the fact that someone on here somewhere pointed out they've loosed off double the amount of torpedoes they were carrying doesn't bother me.

Have you posted similar questions about the other TREK series? If not, you should.

I can honestly say, that all I would change about the show would be the strength of The Borg. I love it the way it is though.

Hmm, kill off nearly all the crew and start again!! And get rid of several of the aliens as well. I loved all the Borg stuff (apart from 7, she was fine but on too much at times) it was just a really bland series with blah characters.

I would have killed off Harry in season two - not because I didnt like him that much (I dont) just to give the danger feel of being in a galaxy far from home and anyone can die... It would have been good to see a darker run for the characters and explore their less perfect elements ... and I agree with a lot of the opinions about Seven, but in saying that she was a fantastic character and out of all the characters has become one of the more memorable ones that even non-Star Trek fans would know if you mentioned her so she was a success in some sense!

Well you sorta get your wish, TECHNICALLY Harry was killed in Season 2's Deadlock, only to be replaced by a duplicate. ;):P

and I agree with a lot of the opinions about Seven, but in saying that she was a fantastic character and out of all the characters has become one of the more memorable ones that even non-Star Trek fans would know if you mentioned her so she was a success in some sense!

Nothing to do with her skin tight clothing of course. ;)

Well you sorta get your wish, TECHNICALLY Harry was killed in Season 2's Deadlock, only to be replaced by a duplicate. ;):P

haha i was thinking about that when i wrote it ...

and I agree with a lot of the opinions about Seven, but in saying that she was a fantastic character and out of all the characters has become one of the more memorable ones that even non-Star Trek fans would know if you mentioned her so she was a success in some sense!

Nothing to do with her skin tight clothing of course. ;)

for some i can see the appeal! But thats science fiction for ya! If u look at popular female characters throughout the genre they tend to be sexualised in some fashion the orion slave girls, uhura, deanna troi and many more outwith star trek ... barring a few such as ellen ripley, janeway herself and sarah connor in t2

(p.s sevens charms are lost on me, i was too busy eyeing up tom paris )

Edited by starblue82

for some i can see the appeal! But thats science fiction for ya! If u look at popular female characters throughout the genre they tend to be sexualised in some fashion the orion slave girls, uhura, deanna troi and many more outwith star trek ... barring a few such as ellen ripley, janeway herself and sarah connor in t2

It's a good point, but in Voyager it was done in the most overt and pointless way ever. At least other major characters that were sexualised had substance to go with it, I still see none of that with 7, also the others weren't shoved right in your face every single episode, the focus switched away from them more than once in a while.

It's a good point, but in Voyager it was done in the most overt and pointless way ever. At least other major characters that were sexualised had substance to go with it, I still see none of that with 7, also the others weren't shoved right in your face every single episode, the focus switched away from them more than once in a while.

i do agree to an extent with the points that they made her good at everything and way too perfect but i feel she was a character with substance, the outfit was obviously a ratings booster and for the most part it worked does that make it bad i think not its a tv show and ratings is what keeps it on air!

I dunno... if a woman with huge... erm... in a silver catsuit is the only thing that keeps the ratings somewhat stable, I'm not sure what this says about the quality of the rest of the show...

I won't argue that Seven's attractiveness was a ratings boost, but Kirk had a hottie in a skimpy costume to flirt with nearly every week! :-) TOS didn't do to well on it's first run. I wonder if they had the same idea...?

I dunno... if a woman with huge... erm... in a silver catsuit is the only thing that keeps the ratings somewhat stable, I'm not sure what this says about the quality of the rest of the show...

Exactly. Attention can be far too easy to get.

i didnt credit the silver catsuit with being the only piece of quality on the show and in all honesty the silver catsuit wasnt on it for that long!

Voyager had an ensemble mix, my personal favourite was b'ellanna torres -- i was simply making a point that science fiction tends to prefer its woman in tightfitting impractical and provocative outfits , i dont see kuch purpose in deanna troi wearing a figure hugging catsuit but in the context of star trek with its bold colours aliens and futuristic outlook ut doesnt look out of place

but if you'd rather stone seven for the audacity of being attractive and a little too perfect then go right ahead!

And her catsuits were ther to aid her borg implants throughout her body --

and they got rid of Deanna's outfits, but her purpose was basically looking after crew morale and mental health. She wasn't made automatically the best at everything and the go-to girl like Seven was. Also she actually had personality and wasn't incredibly stiff.

and they got rid of Deanna's outfits, but her purpose was basically looking after crew morale and mental health. She wasn't made automatically the best at everything and the go-to girl like Seven was. Also she actually had personality and wasn't incredibly stiff.

I dont disagree with you at all that was what i was saying at the beginning! They did make her too perfect if they had toned down the pergection aspect i think we wouldnt be having this debate... Although there was points tjat i found jeri ryans portrayal touching and showed a deep and complex character

I think the best way to improve Voyager is simply to show the everyday rigours of travelling through the Delta Quadrant. Running low on supplies, trying to repair ship's systems and replacing them with alien technology. Plus I reckon Voyager would be far more battered than was show: hull breaches and stuff when they entered hostile territory. Another thing is stretching out the integration of the Starfleet and Maquis crew. It would have cool to have work as two seperate crews (in appearance) and slowly come to trust each other.

Other thing is cutting down on the time travel; it completely destroyed VOY's continuity.

I've been reading a good deal of these "suggestions" on how to improve VOYAGER. All I came away with was the feeling that many TREK fans had used this thread to mindlessly bash the show. That's it.

I realize that VOYAGER is not perfect. But I will never understand its unpopularity with so many TREK fans. When I started watching the show in 1998, I had accepted the prevailing view that it was the worst TREK show. But after watching many of the reruns and the original episodes of Seasons 5-7, I now realize that I don't agree with that view. Like I had said, VOYAGER wasn't perfect. But neither were any of the other TREK shows. And honestly, the quality of the show's writing seemed the same as that for NEXT GENERATION and DEEP SPACE NINE. I guess I find this thread irrelevant.

The big things I would change is (not in any specific order, just what came to mind first)

1. Keep the Maquis/Fed crew conflicts

2. Make Chakotay a specific Native American culture and not every single one as they seem to make him

3. Have Voyager be gradually damaged over time, like they did in BSG (apprently the SFX team for Voyager wanted to do this)

4. Make Year of Hell a season long like the writers orignally wanted. (also acknowledge Kes' forknowlege of the Krenim from that one episode)

Edited by Tuskin38

Wow, Jimi James had some of the best improvements. It would have made the show ten times better. Except that it seems a little too ahead of its time. The problem with VOY is that it stuck to playing it safe. It needed a routine. The idea of multiple plot lintes connecting in one big arc wasn't really done in Trek (DS9 skirted this later on during their final season).

The biggest improvement needed was VOY needed to live up to its premise. Why market this show as "imagine a ship far far from Earth or any starbase! They're alone in a dangerous, unexplored quadrant! To make matters worse, half of the crew are made up of "terrorists" and both sides need each other to survive! How will they get out of that one!?"

They abandoned that like after one season and then turned it into "TNG-lite" as someone else called it. They even rehashed TNG episodes... What the hell were they thinking?

Just to comment on Seven of Nine... I know that she brought the T&A into the show and seemed like a ratings booster, but...seriously...? Have you all watched it? Her acting was fantastic. She did amazing. Watch the episode where she was "possesed" by the Doctor and she perfectly mimicked Picardo.

I will agree that it got annoying that virtually every episode was about her. Not to mention, she had this vast Borg knowledge but she couldn't get VOY home? BAH.

Season 7 should have taken place in the Alpha Quadrant. I know the show's thing is being in the Delta Quadrant, but they should have at least done like DS9 and done like an 6 or 7 episode arc of them returning. It's not enough to see them fly to Earth. I wanted to see them return to a post-Dominion War Earth. See how different things were. I think it would have been cool if Earth wasn't the way they remembered it and they realized that "home" was VOY. Corny, I know but it would have kept up with the theme that the journey was more important than the destination. VOY crew should have hopped back in their ship and warped into the unknown, never to be seen again. Maybe a bit too depressing for some VOY fans though...IDK.

A lot of dislike for Seven's role on the show in this thread, but I disagree. Jeri Ryan was the only actor to regularly get good roles after this show had run it's course. I get a kick out of watching Mulgrew on NTSF:SD:SUV but that's hardly substantial. Picardo and Phillips still get work and were fine character actors. Wang kind of faded and the rest don't really act anymore. The show needed rescuing, and they needed someone like Jeri Ryan to keep it afloat, or they probably would have been cancelled around season 4.

Let's go through the list of characters first:

Janeway - Mulgrew took a while to find her footing as Janeway, but when she did I thought she ran with it. Some questionable writing choices to be sure. For example, I just watched 'Spirit Folk' and I kind of gagged. There was too much of an emotional attachment too quickly with Micheal, and then was never seen again. She had a bit of a tough spot, not wanting to form relationships with underlings. She was a bit detached emotionally from the crew at times.

Chakotay - I never found his character interesting. Later on, Beltran said he stop reading the whole script by season 5, and it showed. Beltran didn't put much effort into it. His character seemed to be fiddling while Rome burned at times. He didn't have show the urgency that others showed, mainly because he didn't understand the motivation his character was supposed to have. They could have killed his character off by season 4 and he wouldn't have been missed.

Torres - Ugh, I get tired of the whole human hybrid thing. It just seems like something that wouldn't be that common because it would take artificial help to make it happen. They should have made her full Klingon. She kind of sees her Klingon half to be a nuisance, and doesn't really come to terms with it until Barg of the Dead. Even after that, she still didn't really embrace it. I didn't mind the Paris-Torres thing as much, they needed something to do with her character to show a softer side because she really did come off as just bitchy.

Kes - I disliked her character and I was glad she got cut from the show. I found her relationship with Neelix a bit disturbing and unnatural. Paris would have been a better fit. I didn't like the age aspect or the short lifespan. She was slightly better after that relationship ended, but she didn't have much to do. Her motivation didn't seem realistic, but improved slightly after breaking up with Neelix. A betazoid would have been a better choice for the ESP character slot.

Paris - I liked this character, but he also didn't seem to get his motivation. The writing was a bit weird too. He was supposed to be this outcast rebel, but turns into a by-the-book pilot. They had him acting out, but that turned out to just be Janeway ordering him to help find a traitor. There was his 30 days in the brig, but I thought that was a bit contrived and out of character by that point in the series.

Neelix - I liked this character, but I didn't take him too seriously. I didn't like his jeolousy around Kes. I liked the tension between him and Tuvok, that was good for comic relief.

The Doctor - One of the strongest characters on the show. They had too many malfunctioning sub-routine evil doctor plots though. Also, it was too easy to just knock the ME off of his arm. 'Real life' was promising, but ended way too darkly for my liking. They should have gotten him the mobile emitter earlier on in the series.

Tuvok - He was a bit wooden, but it's tough to write emotional conflict for a character that suppresses his emotions. He should have been the first officer to have more conflict with Janeway. He was a bit too much of a sycophant to her most of the time.

Seven - She should have been in the series earlier on, like season one. She joined just before the mid-way point of the series run, and they spent too much time catching her character development up with the rest. Ryan acted circles around the rest of them except Picardo, almost seemed like she was slumming it.

Kim - A fairly bland character. He would have been cut instead of Lien if he hadn't been named on People magazine's list of top 50 beautiful actors. He kind of played off of Paris. 'The Chute' was probably his high water point.

As for villians, writing in general etc., the Kazon were an obvious misfire. Nobody cared much about them. Seska was a good villian though, it's too bad they wimped out on the Chakotay's baby storyline. The borg needed to be used sparingly, they start to become kind of a toothless enemy. Krenim, Hirogen and 8472 had promise, but weren't used enough. There were way too many stand alone episodes with aliens and antagonists we only see in one episode. Not enough multi-episode story arcs. Being stuck alone, they couldn't face too strong of competition or they would be destroyed, which limited writing options. Season 7 just meandered along, and they make the final jump in one 2-parter. It just seemed abrupt to me. Using time travel to end it was just too much of a writer's convenience. They probably should have wrapped up the whole voyage home by season 3, taken over trans-warp hubs like they did in end-game, rested up and then re-deployed to the Delta quadrant with reinforcements. Since they had experience, they would have been the focal point of the federation expansion effort.

Edited by Hammer

Posted (edited)

I guess it depends on whether I would want to take it in a serious direction or build upon what was already there (more of a silly, light type of show with amusing or entertaining moments here and there).

If it's the former...I would have Seven of Nine on the show much earlier. Paris would actually have more of an edge to him, and the tension between him and Chakotay would be real instead of pretence. The Tuvix episode wouldn't have aired. Absolutely no relationship between Neelix and Kes. If Kes has to be there, then give more emphasis to her Padawan and Jedi Master relationship with Tuvok, and have her hang out with Seven of Nine too. (The contrast in personality would be interesting.) I also agree with those that have suggested that there should be much more tension between the Maquis and the normal members of the crew...and that can run throughout most of the series, if they handled it well. Chakotay could be more resentful of Janeway, and they could develop more of a troubled relationship, but still work together. Take more of a serialised approach, as with DS9. More Tuvok, and more B'Elanna.

Edited by Explorer3

I'd give Seven of Nine something else to wear than those skintight catsuits. Was never fond of them anyways.

Well, as with Voyager, Ron Moore said this himself that Voyager should not have been kept in that pristine condition going through the Delta Quadrant without backup or maintenance. It's funny that Star Trek: Odyssey (a spinoff from the fan-film series "Hidden Frontier") was more realistic in showing the ship's wear and tear in the Andromeda Galaxy than Voyager. Many agree that the ship should have been more looking like the Equinox did in Equinox Parts I and II.

I also wouldn't let 'em use the holodeck. Sfdebris aka Chuck Sonnenberg said it himself in his review of Voyager's "The Cloud" as part of his Opinionated Reviews that the idea that the holodeck's power systems can't be interfaced with the rest was considered a "Voodoo Shark" - it was a term coined by him that the explanation for how this absurd thing is happening is even more absurd (the "Voodoo Shark" itself came from "Jaws: The Revenge" when a shark was going after a specific family - the novelization stated that the shark was under a voodoo curse - which made even less sense).

I think the writers should have had Janeway break from her principles more often, such as allying with the Trabe in "Alliances" or something like that. But no they didn't.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0