Sign in to follow this  
Unicron

How would you improve Voyager?

Daien   

Oh, where could I possibly begin? I feel like there is so much to say here.

Overall, I think I'd have shown some damage slowly building up, while some could be fixable, none would really be done in less then an episode, the hull breeches probably wouldn't be so fixable. Secondly, I'd probably have had them actually run out of photon torpedoes and potentially have to acquire a differnt form of weaponry for that aspect. I also thing the Starfleet/Maquis arc should have been expanded, maybe even having a two parter (or a mid season arc of several eps) of the Maquis rebelling and taking over the ship. I felt running the holodeck constantly was silly, when they've often complained about power problems for the replicator or some other technobabble system, and felt several potential arcs were cut down to quickly, and either never fully explored or simply explored poorly.

I also thing the Starfleet/Maquis arc should have been expanded, maybe even having a two parter (or a mid season arc of several eps) of the Maquis rebelling and taking over the ship.

I thought that way too at first, but then it came to me that it would go against the spirit of Star Trek in general, where your ship - your team - is working as one, banding together against external enemies. If they'd have had internal conflict ripping Voyager apart for too long, it would have undermined the idea of "united we stand - divided we fall" (which was clearly the message there) and made the show way too dark.

I felt running the holodeck constantly was silly, when they've often complained about power problems

Agreed, although it was indeed crucial to crew's morale. Seems like Janeway had a choice there: allow all that holodeck time and deal with Neelix's cooking instead of using the replicators so much - or have a very well-fed crew go insane with boredom :) )

I think it would have been far more interesting if they had shut down the holodecks and then shown the crew having to find things to do that didn't involve some silly holodeck fantasy. It was a little bit of a cop out, that they could just escape to the holodeck for a good time, instead of having to deal with the realities of actualy being that far from home and being on their own.

They could have used that as a much better means of character development, with some interesting results. Maybe like, instead of Paris simply building a car on the holodeck, he could have actually built something in his quarters (obviously not a car) or in one of the cargo bays, sort of like the way that O'Brien had set up a workshop in his quarters while Keiko was on Bajor.

At the very least, they could have focused more on the crews hobbies and built up some of the friendships more. Aside from Paris and Kim, I can't really think of any other pair that had such a strong friendship with another member of the crew.

And I disagree with the idea that they should just show everyone 'united' and working together because that's that vision of Star Trek. Yes, that's part of it, but Star Trek is also about encountering that which is different and then learning to work together despite those difference. Just putting Starfleet and the Marquis together without exploring what made them different, and showing how they overcame those differences, even if it lead to strife, which doesn't automatically lead to a dark and dreary story, was a missed opportunity for great story telling. Internal conflict not just in a setting but in a person as well, is essential for character development. Without it, all your characters can do is react to outside factors and you then end up with rather two-dimensional characters; which in my opinion is what a lot of the Voyagers characters were.

Daien   

I think this would have made the show stand out though, if the crew was not so 'United' in danger, sure perhaps they should be but there were several points in the series, especially the early episodes where one wonders how the Maquis just stood by and went with Janeways decision.

Tone720   

I would have sent 7 back to the collective where she belonged and not have every episode thereafter be either her or another Borg show which in my opinion ruined the Borg. The Borg should be as they were in TNG Best Of Both Worlds, and at very least in First Contact.

Also they seemed to lapse into using established aliens as villains far too easily for my liking rather than using Kazon and Vidiians etc more. Having said that, I like the idea that the Dominion probably extends some way into the Delta Quadrant from the Gamma, and think this would have been a good way to bring a few Jem Hadar into a few episodes.

robjkay   
I would have sent 7 back to the collective where she belonged and not have every episode thereafter be either her or another Borg show which in my opinion ruined the Borg. The Borg should be as they were in TNG Best Of Both Worlds, and at very least in First Contact.

Also they seemed to lapse into using established aliens as villains far too easily for my liking rather than using Kazon and Vidiians etc more. Having said that, I like the idea that the Dominion probably extends some way into the Delta Quadrant from the Gamma, and think this would have been a good way to bring a few Jem Hadar into a few episodes.

I would have like it to about what you said about having a few Jem Hadar into a few episodes. But also involving the Borg with those episodes, what I mean is having Voyager cause the introduction/first contact between the Dominion and the Borg. :rolleyes:

In terms of character and relationships' development - I was thinking, they should've had more interactions between Chakotay and other crew members in later seasons. The first officer on the ship is responsible for most of day-to-day operations details, and in all other series, we see lots of interactions and (re)building/forming of various levels of working relationships between the first officer and other people on the ship. Of course, we all know that once 7 of 9 was added to VOY, the writers took away most of Chakotay's lines and screen time and gave it to Jeri Ryan. But this lopsided approach, IMHO, did more than just mess up one character - it kinda messed up a significant part of crew dynamic that should have been much better explored.

I would have like it to about what you said about having a few Jem Hadar into a few episodes. But also involving the Borg with those episodes, what I mean is having Voyager cause the introduction/first contact between the Dominion and the Borg. :rolleyes:

Ooh...excellent point. Would've added even more darkness and depth to the Dominion War. Jem'Hadar versus Borg....

I would probably pull Voyager out of its dark-toned storytelling, back into the reason why we all watch Trek: Exploring the limitations of the human capacity, whilst going where no one's gone before. The whole "Lost In Space" angle was too depressing and got real old every episode that came along with the crew going, "Hey! There's a way home!" "No! We'll destroy this way and look for a longer way!" Besides...there was nothing that represented the original mantra of Trek. That's what I would change...the whole dramatic "Gilligan's Island/Lost In Space" angle, and go back to basics.

I'd probably have the show concentrate more on exactly how the Voyager got all the way into the Delta Quadrant and have them research what happened so that they may be able to reproduce what happens in the future for good reasons, also, I would put in more episodes with Voyager showing off how well it adapts to conditions, although Year of Hell was a pretty good show of that. other than those things, I think Voyager is one of the best shows ever, after all, it's my favorite Star Trek sereis.

B'Gail   

I think I would have had the first season focusing on the Maquis and Starfleet separately with only some interactions such as arguments, Chakotay and Janeway discussing the crews and B'Elanna and Harry being friends because of the Ocampa thing. I also would have shown B'Elanna and Tom having a real conversation without Harry there because in the early episodes the only time they were seen together was when they were working or if they were with Harry. It would have been nice to see their friendship develop because they became friends pretty suddenly and then they were flirting.

It would be great to show the effects of the Chute on Harry and Tom, particularly because Tom started pursuing B'Elanna right after that episode.

Chakotay... give him more to do and show more about his ancestry, like which tribe he was from.

Harry- promote him for pete's sake. He was the longest serving ensign in history, even if he did something to get demoted back to ensign.

Janeway- can anyone say 'consistant characterisaton'.

Tuvok- give him more to do. He was cool.

Seven- Anyone got a gag to shut her up in a few episodes. Some were good, but others she just needed to shut her trap for five minutes. Or have B'Elanna punch her. That should have happened.

Tom- show the evolution of his character more slowly through the first couple of seasons, maybe have him getting in a few fights. There's always room for a good fight.

B'Elanna - My favourite character. Erm... have her punch Seven and show her and Tom actually becoming friends. I don't knw why, but their leap from her calling him a pig to them being friends always seemed a bit odd to me.

Kes- Don't do 'Fury'. Just don't. Have her turn up and save them from some other creature like she became and then have her say goodbye for good.

Neelix- He was good in Security. As a cook, not so cool.

Just my opinions.

Tone720   
Seven- Anyone got a gag to shut her up in a few episodes. Some were good, but others she just needed to shut her trap for five minutes. Or have B'Elanna punch her. That should have happened.

Agreed with most of your post really, but particularly this part :thumbup: I thought there were times when B'Elanna came close to punching her.

Methos   

the Torres and Seven episodes were always funny...

personally, i would have had more Time Travel episodes, maybe learn a lot more about the USS Reletivity and the future of Starfleet....

Also, in the Message in a bottle episode, it didn't make sense for Starfleet to send back Voyager's Doctor when he had so much information about the Delta Quadrant and the Borg thread... i would have kept him in the Alpha Quadrant with Starfleet and have the Promethius send over the EMH Mark 2 for Voyager, that way Voyager could have caught up with current Federation knowledge and history, and it would have brought Voyager back into the normal Star Trek continuity rather than trying to keep it stuck at the date it left...

M

Hiyasu   
I would probably pull Voyager out of its dark-toned storytelling

Really? Compared to DS9?

The quirkiness of VOY is one of the things that kept me interested in it while I found DS9 far too depressing some times.

VOY was respite for me from the seriousness of DS9.

I guess it could have used a little more light-heartedness but I feel like if it did it would have been just a comedy.

Well even though everyone hates 7, I liked her. I know people get pissed because she was added to boost ratings, but she ended up being a legitimately cool character if you gave her a chance. There were probably too many episodes about her, but honestly, I didn't notice them.

The main thing about her I would have changed is the whole relationship with Chakotay. She should have been allowed to become more human over the course of the series than she did.

I agree about there being more of the Starfleet/Marquis interaction. It seems like one day they woke up and everyone was friends, it made no sense.

Personally, I wanted another Tuvok-centric episode or two but I'm biased.

Harry and Tom were so funny together, I thought that they could have had some more screen time in the same way Tuvok and Neelix did since that got kinda old after a while. It's like, yes we know that Tuvok and Neelix are total opposites, thanks for pointing that out again. I liked all those episodes, but it would have been nice if we'd seen more of the other characters interactions with each other.

I know this is gonna get me some flame but I did not like B'Elanna much. I'm not a big Worf fan or a fan of Klingons in general though so maybe that's my problem. I'm pretty sure I'm the only person who wanted to see more of Tuvok and less of B'Elanna, so I understand my views are abnormal.

My issue with her is that she came off as a total bitch throughout the series. I can see that they were trying to make her look strong and independent, but she didn't feel that way to me, she just felt bitchy.

Also, her relationship with Tom came out of no where. Maybe that was their attempt to soften the bitchiness but instead it only made it worse.

Janeway, ugh, I wish we could have known her personally more. She was really dead sometimes. I wish she would have opened up emotionally more often. It seemed like they were setting up for her to open up like that to Tuvok or Chakotay sometimes, but it never really happened and when it did, it didn't push the bar. She didn't seem as emotionally in sync with the rest of the crew in the way any of the other captains in Trek were. Despite the fact that they all end up calling the crew a family after a while, she seemed completely distant from the rest of them a lot.

Chakotay I could just have done without. He was interesting at first and then he faded into the background until he came back with a vengeance to screw up some of the best character dynamics in the show; the Doctor and Seven. Because of that, it's really hard for me to like Chakotay. He didn't leave enough of an impression on me for me to care about him and then when he swoops in and randomly starts dating Seven it just filled with a nerdrage of such force I started spitting midi-chlorians.

He and Janeway should have grown together but they were both too distant and Chakotay was too flat.

Speaking of the Doctor. Moooar Doctor!

I honestly really loved Voyager. These are just little things that kinds ticked me off, but overall there isn't much I would change.

Edited by Hiyasu

I honestly really loved Voyager. These are just little things that kinds ticked me off, but overall there isn't much I would change.

I agree with you. I really enjoy the show...

minus the C/7 relationship. *gag* Oh and the Tom/B'Elanna one.

I like Seven. She brougth something to show and also, I'd miss the bond her and the doctor have if she wasn't on.

Voyager   
Kes- Don't do 'Fury'. Just don't. Have her turn up and save them from some other creature like she became and then have her say goodbye for good.

I agree, I loved that Kes came back, but I hated the way that she came back.

Tone720   
I like Seven. She brougth something to show

Yes, ratings... cheap ratings, apparently.

Tone720   
She brought her 36-D cup and skintight shiny suits lol

M

I thought the shiny suit was from wardrobe? :P

Hiyasu   

I thought she actually added a lot, but if you didn't give her a chance you'd never like her.

Episodes like "Someone to Watch Over Me" are great but if you sit there with this "omg she's a stupid bitch they only added for ratings" attitude then yah, it's probably not going to be all that enjoyable.

I'm probably the only person here who thinks this but Voyager improved after Seven was introduced.

And I'm not fanboy or male at all for that matter. (.__.)

Tone720   
I thought she actually added a lot, but if you didn't give her a chance you'd never like her.

Episodes like "Someone to Watch Over Me" are great but if you sit there with this "omg she's a stupid bitch they only added for ratings" attitude then yah, it's probably not going to be all that enjoyable.

I did try to give her a chance, but episodes like the one you mentioned and One which I have watched again recently did nothing to change my opinion, no matter how open minded I try to be.

Edited by DaxFanDS9

Methos   
I'm probably the only person here who thinks this but Voyager improved after Seven was introduced.

Not really, i'm a big 7 fan and loved the character... not just for the sex appeal either...

i really enjoyed the way she had the "used to be a bad guy" thing going on but didn't feel the need to make up for her past atrocaties

M

Sign in to follow this