Sign in to follow this  
Unicron

How would you improve Voyager?

Unicron   

If you had the option of improving the series, how would you change things? Personally I'd try to stick with more of Michael Pillar's original vision, where the integration between the two crews wasn't as easy. I'd also spend a little more time with early races like the Kazon and the Vidiians.

Unicron   

Yeah, it's very interesting to read a lot of the criticisms involving Endgame in general, and the sudden C/7 relationship.

I did this whole seven season outline for an alternate version of Voyager once, that I unfortunately lost due to a computer failure. I'll give some of the highlights that I can remember.

Voyager spent the first three two season in the alpha quadrant focusing on the Marquis, Tuvok's role in the Chakotay cell, and generally made stronger characters out of the marquis crew before they ever joined Voyager. The big point though was that while in the Marquis, Tuvok had been forced to do some things in order to keep his cover from being blown that he was never able to get over.

At the end of the second season, Voyager recovers Tuvok and has arrested the Marquis when they suddenly get pulled into the Delta quadrant.

There are no Kazon. The Krenim Empire are the main guys through much of the Delta quadrant up until they get to Borg space.

Janeway dies by sacrificing herself to save the ship. They do find and Rescue Seven, but she goes crazy and commits suicide from not being able to cope with being alone and so drastically removed from the only life she has ever known.

They find the Equinox, which would have been an older ship, and run with them for more then a whole season before the ship is destroyed during a Hirogen attack. The Hirogen play a big part in the escalation of the growing Borg/species 8472 war, hunting both sides and trying to take voyager as a prise as they represent the only humans the Hirogen have ever seen.

Many of the crew don't survive, and a running theme throughout the series was that Voyager was on the brink of either falling abpart or running out of supplies. Both Janeway and later when Chakotay took command, would have faced having to abandon their federation ideals in order to survive. Think Year of Hell, but stretched throughout the series.

It's not all bad though. They do manage to make contact with Starfleet and get back to exploring for much of the last season, but the Hirogen return and capture most of the crew. However while the Hirogen are returning home, they get caught up in the Borg/8472 war. In the end, Chakotay strikes a deal with the Borg to take them the rest of the way home for help in defeating 8472.

The series ends with the Borg returning them to earth. Voyager is crippled beyond repair, and the Hirgoen are heading toward the alpha quadrant.

It's not all entirely coherent here. I had it all worked out in my outline, but can't remember all the details so some of it may seem conflicting or not make any sense.

I always thought it would have been interesting if "Year of Hell" would have been the entire series, in terms of the ship, being damaged, running low on power, food etc. When you think about Voyager always had that magic reset button that the ship was in pristine condition the next week. Ron Moore was right about this when he briefly joined the show. I also thought that the integration between Starfleet and the Maquis should have been more difficult. Basically a darker tone for the series, maybe run by Ron Moore? After finding out about his objections to Voyager, I've wondered if BSG was somewhat his answer to a darker Voyager in some respects.

Unicron   

Originally, that's what Pillar wanted. The suits at UPN disagreed because they wanted it to be more like TNG lite, because TNG got ratings. They also disliked the darker tone of DS9 and the fact that this bled some viewers. Piller strongly disagreed with them over this and that's why he finally left.

Voyager   

I think the series could have been a little better if Jeri Taylor was working on it all the way though.

Belanna   

I agree with Voyager. If Jeri stayed... Voyager would have been better. You know this is funny because when I went to the con, we got to hear Lolita Fatjo talk, she was the script coordinator for Voyager for six years... get this... (this is from my con report that is not up yet... lol... )

Lolietta was the script coordinator for Voyager... (just so you all know..)and the reason she left at the end of season six was this. One day one of the Executive producers, (she didn't say which one, so just go ahead and pick your least favorite and that is most likely who it was) came into her office. She didnt like that they were ignoring the continuity in this one script, She couldn't remember what script it was.

The reason that she left Voyager was what the Executive Producer said... "I don't care." Lolietta said that did the final straw for her, and she left. This made me sad to hear this, but not surprising. Bermaga have always screwed things up for us fans, and to hear this coming from Lolietta made it more confirmed on Bermaga and how they both screwed things up for not only Voyager, but for us fan. It really pissed me off.

Voyager   

That's really interesting to hear. I've usually tried to stay clear to judging Berman and Braga, but the fact you actually heard that from her really makes me annoyed at them.

I would not have Chakotav and Seven as a couple. Seven should just stay single until Voyager got home and she would find herself the right guy to be with but would get to meet new people first and so on.

Have Voyager land on Earth at the end of Endgame part 2.

That's about it lol

- Nix C7 and Tomlanna.

- Hook up D7.

- Not have every single episode after Scorpion II be entirely about Seven of Freaking Nine.

- [rant] Not have Janeway make an alliance with the Borg instead of even CONSIDERING helping 8472 in Scorpion I & II. This just pissed me off, since the writers made Janeway incredibly stupid here. Thinking the Borg would keep a promise about not assimilating them? Riiiiiiiiiiiight. Also, after that little fiasco, it sets Janeway up to also look INCREDIBLY self-righteous in Equinox I & II (I mean, come on...she kinda had no right to judge the Equinox crew after she basically agreed to help the Borg exterminate 8472). I didn't like that the writers made her act that way...Janeway's better than that, damn it! [/rant]

- Kill Seska in Caretaker, and the entire Kazon nation with her.

- Give everyone a little bit more Riker in their blood. SeeingEyeBorg and I are currently in Season Seven of our Voyager marathon, and I'm really get weary of this 'target their weapons array' or 'target their propulsion systems' crap. If it's shooting at you and yours, you KILL IT! If Sam Wildman was a senior officer, you'd better bet she wouldn't let ANYTHING endanger her little princess!

- If the Voyager crew is playing tag with the Borg every other epi for like three seasons, can we PLEASE get a frickin' clue and steal some of their trans-warp hub technology? I know they stole a trans-warp coil or something, but why can't we go for the gold and steal a cube here? Seven's a frickin' ex-drone, why can't she replicate the ability to make trans-warp conduits appear???

Unicron   

I don't think the two situations are entirely comparable. Had Voyager not allied with the Borg, they wouldn't have gotten home and they would probably have had to fight 8472 eventually anyway - without any advantages, as Janeway pointed out. That would have been a lost fight. Nobody liked the alliance, and the "scorpion" technique proves that Janeway wasn't gullible enough to simply trust the Collective. It was purely a lesser of two evils.

OTOH, the Equinox crew was willingly killing alien life forms just to have a way to get towards the Alpha Quadrant. They were more willing to sacrifice their ethics for convenience, and that is what Janeway opposed.

Voyager   
- Nix C7

- Hook up D7.

- Not have every single episode after Scorpion II be entirely about Seven of Freaking Nine.

Totally agree. I also think they made Janeway a little too obsessed with getting Ransom in Equinox - it was fine until she was willing to let Noah get killed, that's just not her.

I don't think the two situations are entirely comparable. Had Voyager not allied with the Borg, they wouldn't have gotten home and they would probably have had to fight 8472 eventually anyway - without any advantages, as Janeway pointed out. That would have been a lost fight. Nobody liked the alliance, and the "scorpion" technique proves that Janeway wasn't gullible enough to simply trust the Collective. It was purely a lesser of two evils.

OTOH, the Equinox crew was willingly killing alien life forms just to have a way to get towards the Alpha Quadrant. They were more willing to sacrifice their ethics for convenience, and that is what Janeway opposed.

I didn't say they were comparable, but I did feel that it was an incredibly bad writing choice for Janeway's character.

Get rid of Harry and the C/7 relationship for one. I would have spent more time devolping the baddies, Viddians especially. The Kazon weren't too bad but they spent too much time on the K-Nistrom. Janeway could have allied with other Kazon sects to eliminate the threat of the K-Niztrom. I would have loved to see more Species 8472 in season 5, they had an opportunity to go with that but they didn't. I was not really happy with the way Endgame wrapped everything all nice and tidy, and I'll say again, no C/7.

Unicron   

I kind of feel sorry for Harry. Poor guy should have gotten promoted during the show, and the only time he actually seemed to was in alternate futures. :P

Goei   

I would've stuck with more eps featuring the Kazon and Vidiians. The Starfleet/Maquis conflict would've extended past a few small arguments and one cheesy holodeck program. Finally, I would've kept Kes on the show and opted instead to eliminate another character like Harry Kim or Neelix.

Sign in to follow this