Sign in to follow this  
DATA2007

Who is the best Character?

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

202 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

Guest Andrew98   
Guest Andrew98

I voted for Commander Riker. He is an experienced first officer, who has so much experience and he's my favourite star trek first officer and he's my favourite character in star trek tng.

Of TNG (not my favorite of the STs, but I like it OK), I'd say Captain Jean-Luc Picard; because I simply cannot imagine ST-TNG without him, frankly....

He was (after finding the character's voice in season 2) easily the best actor on the show; he could bring you to tears by reading the phone book. He had presence; a richness and a truly commanding nature about him. He reeked of statesmanship, gravitas and authority. He made even the worst lines sound like they just flew off of the Bard's pen (except for "Shut up, Wesley" but no one could've helped that awful, tin-eared 1st season dialogue... :P )

Again; I can't imagine ST-TNG without him. :thumbsup2:

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Zef'No   

I've always liked Worf. Perhaps because he was the most "alien", or perhaps because he got some of the best episodes - and the few arcs of the series. Through him we got to learn about the Klingons and I liked learning about his culture - the rich history and codes of honour that defined his existence and so on.

Although unfortunately on TNG he was largely a background character, a stereotype who would do little for most episodes except for the odd line here and there, of all the characters on that show, he probably changed and grew the most (with the obvious exception of Data). - I mean, you think of him at the start, with his cold warrior hardness, then at the end walking on a beach with Troi!

I also like Wesley Crusher. I know this is highly controversial, but I grew up watching him; I could relate to him more than I could anyone else as he was a kid like I was. And he was everything I wanted to be; clever, good-looking, in a position of responsibility... Yes, he was "too perfect" in many ways, but that gave me something to strive to.

Hammer   

Picard, not because I think he was a particularly interesting character but because he was played by the best actor on the show. His diplomatic skills were an over-used excuse to lead to too many 'let's park in space and argue for an hour until someone comes up with a solution to the crisis' plots. If TNG had started today, I think Picard would have had a lot more opportunities to display his ship-to-ship strategic combat skills that he was supposedly known for within Federation command.

Picard, not because I think he was a particularly interesting character but because he was played by the best actor on the show. His diplomatic skills were an over-used excuse to lead to too many 'let's park in space and argue for an hour until someone comes up with a solution to the crisis' plots. If TNG had started today, I think Picard would have had a lot more opportunities to display his ship-to-ship strategic combat skills that he was supposedly known for within Federation command.

Agreed.

He is immensely watchable. Wonderful voice, and commanding presence. He's TV's answer to Sean Connery. Yet he also shined in the more vulnerable moments of the Picard character as well ("Sarek" "Inner Light" "Generations" and "Chain of Command part 2" come to mind). And you're also right that Picard, as a character, wasn't so special (certainly Data, Geordi and Worf had more interesting origin stories), but the actor MADE him special. And that is one hell of an achievement to where you cannot imagine the show continuing without that one character simply because the actor who played him was so special. Rather like Leonard Nimoy's Spock in TOS; after season one, the network wanted to replace him because of difficulties with his agent, but the flood of fan mail for Leonard Nimoy convinced them otherwise. Patrick Stewart's Picard is much the same way; on TNG he is utterly irreplaceable.

Patrick Stewart.... marvelous actor. :worthy:

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Agreed.

He is immensely watchable. Wonderful voice, and commanding presence. He's TV's answer to Sean Connery. Yet he also shined in the more vulnerable moments of the Picard character as well ("Sarek" "Inner Light" "Generations" and "Chain of Command part 2" come to mind). And you're also right that Picard, as a character, wasn't so special (certainly Data, Geordi and Worf had more interesting origin stories), but the actor MADE him special. And that is one hell of an achievement to where you cannot imagine the show continuing without that one character simply because the actor who played him was so special. Rather like Leonard Nimoy's Spock in TOS; after season one, the network wanted to replace him because of difficulties with his agent, but the flood of fan mail for Leonard Nimoy convinced them otherwise. Patrick Stewart's Picard is much the same way; on TNG he is utterly irreplaceable.

Yeah... couldn't have said it better myself. Heh.

However, one minor disagreement: If you look closely at Jean-Luc's origin story, it's not THAT uninteresting. They just didn't really touch the really pressing issues on the show (they didn't have the time) - such as WHAT precisely (other than the stab through his heart) made him change from dating basically everyone at Starfleet Academy and trying to cheat at dom-jot while playing with a bunch of Nausicaans to becoming an explorer and a diplomat who loves to just sit in his quarters with a good book or some classical music. OR what made him BECOME such a completely irresponsible and reckless person in the first place - because as a child/teenager all that mattered to him was Starfleet and nothing else, according to his own words. Did he just freak out at the Academy because he was suddenly free to do whatever he wanted to do? Was it because he was finally free from his father's 'don't go, don't join Starfleet' opinion?

Speaking of which, what is also interesting is just how much he had to struggle against Maurice's firm opinion that mankind belongs on Earth and not into space and certainly Starfleet was no good for his son because HE wanted him to take over the vineyard because grapes are all that matters. Or Robert, always hateful and a complete bully because Jean-Luc was the star of the family who won ribbon after ribbon. This must have started early on in their childhood and it went all through it until Jean-Luc left for the Academy. Or his love for archaeology and how it must have interfered with his Starfleet plans at some point when he had to disappoint Professor Galen. It is all VERY interesting stuff, especially for a fan fic writer like myself. You just have to look a bit closer. At first it may all look like the typical 'village country boy who rises to fame' story, but there are actually a lot of hidden roads and buried feelings. He is a VERY deep character. Trust me, I have been writing stories about him for years and if there's ONE thing that he is NOT, it's uninteresting compared to other TNG characters. At first glance, perhaps, yes, but once you start looking into his backstory, it throws detail after detail at you and you just want to explore them.

Agreed.

Yeah... couldn't have said it better myself. Heh.

However, one minor disagreement: If you look closely at Jean-Luc's origin story, it's not THAT uninteresting. They just didn't really touch the really pressing issues on the show (they didn't have the time) - such as WHAT precisely (other than the stab through his heart) made him change from dating basically everyone at Starfleet Academy and trying to cheat at dom-jot while playing with a bunch of Nausicaans to becoming an explorer and a diplomat who loves to just sit in his quarters with a good book or some classical music. OR what made him BECOME such a completely irresponsible and reckless person in the first place - because as a child/teenager all that mattered to him was Starfleet and nothing else, according to his own words. Did he just freak out at the Academy because he was suddenly free to do whatever he wanted to do? Was it because he was finally free from his father's 'don't go, don't join Starfleet' opinion?

Speaking of which, what is also interesting is just how much he had to struggle against Maurice's firm opinion that mankind belongs on Earth and not into space and certainly Starfleet was no good for his son because HE wanted him to take over the vineyard because grapes are all that matters. Or Robert, always hateful and a complete bully because Jean-Luc was the star of the family who won ribbon after ribbon. This must have started early on in their childhood and it went all through it until Jean-Luc left for the Academy.

A young, rebellious farmboy who embarks on a voyage into outer space to find his destiny.... sound familiar? Luke Skywalker? Jim Kirk? :P

Jean-Luke SkywaKirk? :laugh:

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Now now, let's not forget that Kirk was a complete geek at the Academy and probably before that as well, so, there ARE minor differences here. :P

Now now, let's not forget that Kirk was a complete geek at the Academy and probably before that as well, so, there ARE minor differences here. :P

Yes, but now, thanks to the magic of the JJ Abramsverse, he's "Good Will Shatner Hunting"... :laugh:

Yes, but now, thanks to the magic of the JJ Abramsverse, he's "Good Will Shatner Hunting"... :laugh:

I don't know anything about that, I've never seen that "movie" and I'm not planning on doing so. To me, no one but William Shatner is, was, and will ever be James T. Kirk and that's the end of it for me.

Fish1941   

My favorite character was Worf. My second favorite character was Reginald Barclay. These two struck me as the most interesting members of the Enterprise-D crew.

gazomg   

Geordi was a dull person

Wesley a spolit annoying knowall

Crusher while hot was self centreed

Troi a do gooder knowall

Tasha was ok but not there long enough...

worf has character,

Data had more character than most of the humans

Riker has a sense of humor and strong character

but had to be Picard for me.

Sign in to follow this