Sign in to follow this  
Voyager

Rate the motion Picture

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

201 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

crying-gifs-10112013-13.gif

Expresses how Sehlat Vie and (possibly) Happy Russia and I feel upon hearing this.... :(:P

Nah, I could care less, really. I know that I love TMP, and to me, that's more of Star Trek than I'll ever get out of these new movies.

More for us, right? :laugh:

One of the biggest flaws in the film is that they simply try to pretend that a decade hadn't gone by.

7 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

One of the biggest flaws in the film is that they simply try to pretend that a decade hadn't gone by.

I remember reading an interview with Harve Bennett and he said the exact same thing; he said that the makeup people of TMP tried to give Spock "Lillian Gish lips."  :laugh:

The only nods I remember to the passage of time were Spock's hair (the Vulcan scene) and McCoy's beard.  Other than that, there was very little acknowledgment that a decade had passed (for the actors, if not the characters).  I agree that was the wrong approach.   One of the things that was so critically well-received when TWOK came out was that it used the time gap to the story's favor.  

Watched the SPECIAL LONGER TV VERSION of STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE, a classic movie by the equally great Robert Wise. As much as I loved the Nick Meyer/Harve Bennett movies, I have a special place in my heart for TMP.

I love THE SPECIAL TV LONGER VERSION. I have even it transfered from the LD to DVD, with very good quality nevertheless, in Pan & Scan. I hope someday Paramount will make it available on DVD and Blu-Ray. A classic movie indeed.

12347721_10208104969801200_8271140751580

I still adore STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE after all these years - it was my introduction to STAR TREK in 1980, when my dad took me to see it on the big screen. Thanks, dad. Miss you.

Still hoping that they will release the SPECIAL LONGER TV VERSION and the DIRECTORS EDITION of TMP on Blu-Ray !

I used this fan-made beatiful STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE DVD cover for my DVD of the Special Longer TV Version, as I said, converted from my old LD. Just to made it looks good in my DVD collection LOL Love this version of the TMP poster (cover by RixGrapix.com - http://www.rixgrafix.com/index_015.htm)

10984133_10207924945540706_2678080872646

Gus

I had the special, longer edition on laserdisc as well.   I remember first watching it on TV when I was about 16 or so and some of the inclusions were genuinely surprising (Spock crying, for example).   Some of the additional footage was a bit jarring, such as Kirk exiting the Enterprise in an earlier version of his own spacesuit (!?) and exiting through an airlock where you saw the rafters and catwalks of the soundstage (they were meant to be covered with a never-completed matte painting).

flickr(low).jpg 

^ I guess the FX guys just didn't give a ship... :giggle:

I think Robert Wise's 2001 director's cut is the best of both worlds; smoother, goes down a bit easier.  I'm also glad that he had the chance to finish it before he passed away.

But the DIRECTOR'S EDITION actually is shorter than the tHeatrical Version and Wise cut some stuff that I disagree. Anyway the Special Longer TV Version evens feels like  a workprint of the movie (like the unfinished  airlock scene, the only footage of the Memory Wall sequence ever released) and I have much love for this version and the other versions of the movie. But the SLV is my favorite version.

13051544_10209244320844264_8904107201094

And here are pics of William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy filming the aborted Memory Wall sequence, in which KIrk and Spock explore the V'Ger ship, for THE MOTION PICTURE, later replaced by the Spock spacewalk sequence. The only footage available are in the SPECIAL LONGER VERSION (Kirk exiting the airlock).Tons of photos and info of this lost sequence can be found at Marcello Rossi page

http://www.marcellorossi.info/Memory/Memory.html

16179245_10211953617134978_1301739199494

16113210_10211953618095002_8683055856582

Gus

4 minutes ago, GustavoLeao said:

But the DIRECTOR'S EDITION actually is shorter than the tHeatrical Version and Wise cut some stuff that I disagree. Anyway the Special Longer TV Version evens feels like  a workprint of the movie (like the unfinished  airlock scene, the only footage of the Memory Wall sequence ever released) and I have much love for this version and the other versions of the movie. But the SLV is my favorite version.

13051544_10209244320844264_8904107201094

And here are pics of William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy filming the aborted Memory Wall sequence, in which KIrk and Spock explore the V'Ger ship, for THE MOTION PICTURE, later replaced by the Spock spacewalk sequence. The only footage available are in the SPECIAL LONGER VERSION (Kirk exiting the airlock).Tons of photos and info of this lost sequence can be found at Marcello Rossi page

http://www.marcellorossi.info/Memory/Memory.html

16179245_10211953617134978_1301739199494

16113210_10211953618095002_8683055856582

Gus

I agree that it's longer, but some of the extra stuff really didn't add to the movie;  Wise's directors' cut actually trimmed stuff from the theatrical version as well.   I can't say whether I prefer the theatrical or the DC (apples & oranges really) but the SLV just feels a bit too rough around the edges for me... just my opinion, of course. 

Yeah, it was a bit rough in some scenes, like the Special Longer Version of V'Ger attack on the Enterprise and the AIrlock sequence, but thats why I love this longer cut so much. And it was only released on VHS and LD in the 80s, so thats why I love its so much even more - its quite rare to find on bootleg DVDs, but guess what, I have mine ! LOL

13254758_10209489521614130_9009850521209

Gus

Sign in to follow this