Sign in to follow this  
Voyager

Rate the motion Picture

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

202 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

If there was a flawless version, it'd have the original sound mix that included the old klaxon, and yet retain the new visuals. :P

And a few of the slightly longer scenes, such as Kirk's extended version of the rec deck briefing and the tiny snippets of cloud flyover.

I always thought McCoy's comment of "100 crewmen 10,000 feet high" was a funny enough line to keep in.

I always thought McCoy's comment of "100 crewmen 10,000 feet high" was a funny enough line to keep in.

I forget, but did the DC leave Spock's crying scene in? I distinctly recall seeing it in the DC... guess that means I have to, *ahem* double check at once. ;)

Sim   

IMO, TMP is the second worst Star Trek movie. Although I think it's probably an okay sf movie... it's just a very bad Star Trek movie:

The characters are nothing like I remember them from TOS or as they do in the later movies. There is no chemistry between them. With the exception of Spock and his back story (Kolinahr), they're even mostly interchangeable. There is absolutely nothing that makes me think Shatner, Kelley and Doohan are playing the same roles as in TOS, and even Spock behaves way too cold (ya okay, Kolinahr, but still).

Then, the story is basically a rip-off of "The Changeling", inflated to 2+ hours.

That leaves us with the then state-of-the-art special effects. Yes, they're very good, still look kind of good today, and the scene of Kirk flying around the Enterprise along with Goldsmith's fine score is nice. And the effects and music do a good job of giving the movie an "epic" feel. It's definitely a big screen movie. You notice the inspiration by 2001.

But that alone doesn't save the movie for me. Especially because nothing about that is "Star Trek". Ironically, the very things that people dislike about NuTrek (no spirit, too much focus on f/x) is what causes me to dislike TMP (while I like NuTrek, because I believe it does have lots of character moments).

So 4 out of 10 points for a Star Trek movie... two of which are for the Kolinahr and two of which for the f/x and score.

IMO, TMP is the second worst Star Trek movie. Although I think it's probably an okay sf movie... it's just a very bad Star Trek movie:

The characters are nothing like I remember them from TOS or as they do in the later movies. There is no chemistry between them. With the exception of Spock and his back story (Kolinahr), they're even mostly interchangeable. There is absolutely nothing that makes me think Shatner, Kelley and Doohan are playing the same roles as in TOS, and even Spock behaves way too cold (ya okay, Kolinahr, but still).

Then, the story is basically a rip-off of "The Changeling", inflated to 2+ hours.

That leaves us with the then state-of-the-art special effects. Yes, they're very good, still look kind of good today, and the scene of Kirk flying around the Enterprise along with Goldsmith's fine score is nice. And the effects and music do a good job of giving the movie an "epic" feel. It's definitely a big screen movie. You notice the inspiration by 2001.

But that alone doesn't save the movie for me. Especially because nothing about that is "Star Trek". Ironically, the very things that people dislike about NuTrek (no spirit, too much focus on f/x) is what causes me to dislike TMP (while I like NuTrek, because I believe it does have lots of character moments).

So 4 out of 10 points for a Star Trek movie... two of which are for the Kolinahr and two of which for the f/x and score.

crying-gifs-10112013-13.gif

Expresses how Sehlat Vie and (possibly) Happy Russia and I feel upon hearing this.... :(:P

This is the first Star Trek I saw in my life when I was 9 years old and didnt know the characters or the backstory, I had never seen TOS AND TAS before. My thing was comic book and Marvel super heroes at the time. I was 9 years old and my dad, who was a TOS fan, took me to see it and in 1981 we got the VHS and watched it every single day. Great memories of my first encounter with Star Trek and my dad. I give it a 10 (and THE DIRECTORS EDITION a 8 and THE SPECIAL LONGER TV VERSION a 9)

Thank you, dad. Miss you.

This is the first Star Trek I saw in my life when I was 9 years old and didnt know the characters or the backstory, I had never seen TOS AND TAS before. My thing was comic book and Marvel super heroes at the time. I was 9 years old and my dad, who was a TOS fan, took me to see it and in 1981 we got the VHS and watched it every single day. Great memories of my first encounter with Star Trek and my dad. I give it a 10 (and THE DIRECTORS EDITION a 8 and THE SPECIAL LONGER TV VERSION a 9)

Thank you, dad. Miss you.

This was one of the few ST movies to really capture the awe, beauty and scale of deep space. Yes, I recognize its shortcomings, but it was also one of the few ST movies that is a genuine science fiction piece and not a space opera. I have both the theatrical cut on blu ray and the director's cut on DVD and I watch them both fairly frequently. It's an amazing movie.

And I... I'm a fan of TMP as well. I like it better than most of the other TOS movies, actually.

That's even more intriguing coming from you, since I know (and understand) how you feel about scifi. Very impressive. I knew there was a reason I liked you... (teasing!). :P:laugh:

That's even more intriguing coming from you, since I know (and understand) how you feel about scifi. Very impressive. I knew there was a reason I liked you... (teasing!). :P:laugh:

I like it because it's so slow. There isn't a lot of action involved, which is always a plus in my book. I like the long scenes in space, too. It's very peaceful and relaxing to watch, and I for one think some of its plot would definitely have worked as a TNG movie as well. It's not the sci-fi aspect that I like about it... it's the peacefulness.

I like it because it's so slow. There isn't a lot of action involved, which is always a plus in my book. I like the long scenes in space, too. It's very peaceful and relaxing to watch, and I for one think some of its plot would definitely have worked as a TNG movie as well. It's not the sci-fi aspect that I like about it... it's the peacefulness.

I remember seeing it in a theatre on a cool December night, and in the dark of the threatre, I actually FELT like I was in space. The scenes in the space dock and the V'ger cloud were utterly hypnotic; they simply DON'T make movies like that anymore. Everything today is so quickly edited and choppy. There's no resonance or depth to anything anymore; it's all surface and no substance. I often wonder; would it really kill most modern filmmakers to linger on a beautiful image for just a few moments, or is the mayfly attention of the modern audience just too mercurial these days?

Edited by Sehlat Vie

I remember seeing it in a theatre on a cool December night, and in the dark of the threatre, I actually FELT like I was in space. The scenes in the space dock and the V'ger cloud were utterly hypnotic; they simply DON'T make movies like that anymore. Everything today is so quickly edited and choppy. There's no resonance or depth to anything anymore; it's all surface and no substance. I often wonder; would it really kill most modern filmmakers to linger on a beautiful image for just a few moments, or is the mayfly attention of the modern audience just too mercurial these days?

This. It's why I don't bother with most movies in the first place - they're too fast and too much happens all at once. I have nothing against an advancing plot but I prefer one step at a time, and not ten in one split second. Maybe we're just getting old?

I've only ever seen TMP on my little stamp screen TV but even on that one its peaceful nature comes through. I always just want to be Spock floating through V'Ger, lol.

This. It's why I don't bother with most movies in the first place - they're too fast and too much happens all at once. I have nothing against an advancing plot but I prefer one step at a time, and not ten in one split second. Maybe we're just getting old?

I've only ever seen TMP on my little stamp screen TV but even on that one its peaceful nature comes through. I always just want to be Spock floating through V'Ger, lol.

I actually wish the space dock and cloud sequences were longer... :laugh:

And you? Old? Oh shush up.... :P

I actually wish the space dock and cloud sequences were longer... :laugh:

And you? Old? Oh shush up.... :P

I think they are longer in the Director's Cut but I might be mistaken...? I've only ever seen that one, I have no comparison, lol. Or did you mean you want them to be longer than they are even in the Director's Cut? Then I also agree with you. I could watch that scene with the cloud for HOURS.

Yeah well I am 30 years old, that IS considered "old" these days, y'know, with all these young people around.

I think they are longer in the Director's Cut but I might be mistaken...? I've only ever seen that one, I have no comparison, lol. Or did you mean you want them to be longer than they are even in the Director's Cut? Then I also agree with you. I could watch that scene with the cloud for HOURS.

They're actually trimmed ever so slightly in the DC, but I have both cuts, so it's OK. But yeah, I'd love those shots to be 15 minutes long each if they could be... :thumbup:

Yeah well I am 30 years old, that IS considered "old" these days, y'know, with all these young people around.

"W-where's your mommy?" :giggle:

Be quiet and hand me my cane and slippers, kid... :P

They're actually trimmed ever so slightly in the DC, but I have both cuts, so it's OK. But yeah, I'd love those shots to be 15 minutes long each if they could be... :thumbup:

Wait WHAT why did they trim them for the DC?

tumblr_lzac0iDvf11r81219o1_400.gif

Get them yourself, GRANDPA. :P (Don't misunderstand - I love grandpas. *ehehehe*)

Get them yourself, GRANDPA. :P (Don't misunderstand - I love grandpas. *ehehehe*)

From ONLY you? I take that as a sincere compliment... * hug *

As for the trimming? Director Robert Wise said he just took a few seconds off here and there to 'tighten' it up a bit. It's almost seamless really, but I'm just a big cry baby... :P

Edited by Sehlat Vie

From ONLY you? I take that as a sincere compliment... * hug *

As for the trimming? Director Robert Wise said he just took a few seconds off here and there to 'tighten' it up a bit. It's almost seamless really, but I'm just a big cry baby... :P

It was meant as a compliment. I love older men, after all. :)

Oh don't worry I'm the same, I'd be annoyed about something like that as well if I were a huge TOS fan. However, it could be worse - he could've pulled a Stuart Baird and deleted half of the scene, lol.

However, it could be worse - he could've pulled a Stuart Baird and deleted half of the scene, lol.

No-GIF1.gif <<< "Sh! Sh! Sh! I can take no more talk of how Baird butchered that movie..." ;)

Not while I'm making lunch anyway... :P

Edited by Sehlat Vie

However, it could be worse - he could've pulled a Stuart Baird and deleted half of the scene, lol.

No-GIF1.gif <<< "Sh! Sh! Sh! I can take no more talk of how Baird butchered that movie..." ;)

Not while I'm making lunch anyway... :P

Sorry. :P However, we CAN be glad that Stuart Baird was nowhere near TMP. I'd imagine he'd have thrown out the entire script and would've been like "AND WHERE ARE THE SPACE BATTLES", lol.

TMP, for me, is the first instalment that gives a real sense of scale to the Star Trek universe. From the dry dock and the Enterprise towering over you, to the orbital office (with the perfect peeps through the window in the DC) and the Epsilon IX station, everything is just so HUGE that I can't help be awed and inspired. Nothing else but the big reveal of the Spacedock in STIII gives me that sense. It's not like Star Wars where the ships are obnoxiously massive just so they can say they're bigger than everything else, it's more of a "look, humanity, look what you can accomplish if you try".

TMP, for me, is the first instalment that gives a real sense of scale to the Star Trek universe. From the dry dock and the Enterprise towering over you, to the orbital office (with the perfect peeps through the window in the DC) and the Epsilon IX station, everything is just so HUGE that I can't help be awed and inspired. Nothing else but the big reveal of the Spacedock in STIII gives me that sense. It's not like Star Wars where the ships are obnoxiously massive just so they can say they're bigger than everything else, it's more of a "look, humanity, look what you can accomplish if you try".

And as a young TOS fan back in 1979 (when TMP came out) it was the first time I got a real sense of the scale of the starship Enterprise, when the travel pod elegantly orbits her before docking. The Enterprise felt (for the first time in ST for me) like a 'real' thing; an actual vehicle, and not just a quick cut to a grainy model shot. We saw her in loving detail. We saw humans floating around outside of her. She was, in that film, made tangible.

And the slow lingering shots of the V'ger cloud gave the audience a true sense of the 'alien' nature of this thing. It was like losing oneself in a beautiful mysterious abstract art exhibit; one that plugged directly into the subconscious. It did make ready 'sense' but it did on a deeper level. I still love the Jerry Goldsmith music that accompanies it. I picture a dark yet eerily calm ocean at night, for some reason.

Movies rarely approach that level of transcendence these days. :confused:

Edited by Sehlat Vie

crying-gifs-10112013-13.gif

Expresses how Sehlat Vie and (possibly) Happy Russia and I feel upon hearing this.... :(:P

Nah, I could care less, really. I know that I love TMP, and to me, that's more of Star Trek than I'll ever get out of these new movies.

Sign in to follow this