Sign in to follow this  
Voyager

Rate the motion Picture

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

202 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

Glenn   

A big resounding nine from me.

It loses a point for, yes, being a tad slow in places. I don't find it slow in the places most people do, though. For example, the flight into the cloud and over the V'Ger starship... wow. Cut a single second of that and you make me angry, it's some of the most breathtaking, beautiful and spectacular cinema ever. But parts with the Ilia Probe, well... otherwise, it is simply genius. One of my all-time favourites: the definition of the word "epic".

I also dislike some of the changes in the Director's Cut. Why the awful new Red Alert sound? WHY?!

So, in conclusion, a nine.

Yeah, that Red Alert klaxon had to go! I prefer the resoundingly loud and annoying "BONK-BONK-BONK-BONK-BONK" that they had in the other films.

Personally i believe no Trek film deserve a 10 rating. I gave The Motion Picture Director's Cut solid 9.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is most successful Trek film at the box office speaks volume. It is one of my favorite Trek film despite some pacing problems.

It is amazing how many Trekkies describe it as "frightfully boring," "way too long," and "chronically lacking in action. However, if that is all you saw in the film, then you clearly missed out on the film's beauty. It is about the philosophical relationship between logic and emotion.

Instead, the struggle with the mysterious alien entity reveals the dynamics and inner conflicts of the crew. Spock realizes that pure logic alone cannot answer all and he finally make peace with his human part. Kirk learns that as a leader he needs to rely on the expertise of those around him. He is a more believable figure who is fallible and struggles to learn from his mistakes.

Nero   

Hey! All of you who are bad-mouthing the Motion Picture... I will get crazy lightsaber on your ASS! :lightsaber:...(jke) :P

No really: TMP is the first Star Trek ANYTHING I had ever seen. Before TOS, before anything. It was my introduction to Star Trek, and I love it. The plot is simply amazing, the special effects are way ahead of their time, and it explores our humanity. They don't make movies like that anymore. To me, it's up there with "The Wizard of Oz", and "It's a Wonderful Life". One of those films that you cherish, know famous lines from; know the plot but still like to re-visit over and over again. The Motion Picture ROCKS.

Autocad   
Even though the plot was an awful lot like "The Changeling", there was one satisfying twist to the whole thing. I remember a novel that Shatner wrote and it was accepted as canon; in the book, he said that V'ger was an early form of the Borg.///// Its one of my favorite Trek films, it deals with a deep and terrific theme about knowing what you are and where you come from.
Partial quote

That's one of the most insightful things I have read.

Now here is my take. I saw this when it first came out. But BEFORE it came out, the storyline leaked out. Basically,Kirk & Spock go inside a big machine to defeat it. I thought to myself, that's boring. Where is the shoot-em ups?

I will say is is a classic in many ways. The special effects are fantastic. And really compared to some lighter fare in the movies today, it holds up well.

I wish it was more like "Balance of Terror" than "The Changeling".

----------------

Edited by Voyager: put text to regular size.

Let's just say I'm glad that I'm a fan, 'cause otherwise, I may have turned this movie off out of boredom. But then again, that's why I watched it, because I'm a fan, and it was definitely worth it, never have I been so eager to see all a movie's secrets! All in all I give it an 8, simply because it could have been condensed, but other than that, it was great, I love what V'ger turns out to be, not to mention seeing the refit Enterprise, that was breathtaking!

Voyager   

I've just re-watched it again today. I've got to say my opinion has changed about it. I like it a lot more than I did the first time I saw it.

I actually liked the slow pace this time round. It might have been because I was exhausted was really in the mood to watch something slow so I could regain my energy, or maybe I've just become more patient. Nah! :P

Tone720   
I've just re-watched it again today. I've got to say my opinion has changed about it. I like it a lot more than I did the first time I saw it.

I actually liked the slow pace this time round. It might have been because I was exhausted was really in the mood to watch something slow so I could regain my energy, or maybe I've just become more patient. Nah! :P

Exhausted by watching XI perhaps? :P

Voyager   
Exhausted by watching XI perhaps? :P

Lol. No I had been walking for 3 hours in the heat, without water, posting leaflets door-to-door.

My favorite Trek movie because of the plot, seeing the characters after a long absence, evolution of and the story being driven by the characters, the special effects, awesome score by Goldsmith, the new look and language of the Klingons, and of course, the Enterprise refit. I also think original cast did some of their best acting ever.

The pajama-forms suck ass though. Only Kirk's Admiral outfit seems decent, IMO.

Was it nessecary for it to take 20 minutes to show them getting to the Enterprise in the shuttle?

Lol - it's only 6 minutes. It does seem a little too long, but I think this is done because the director not only wanted the audience to take in and accept the changes to the original Enterprise, but also consider the Enterprise as a character herself.

WarBird.gifI give the film a 10 because it has a interesting story, plot, but why didn't Kirk not like Decker competing with him and why did Illia got taken

I'd give it a 7; though the plot intself is itneresting, I felt it just went on too long, spending too much time on long, slow visuals of space began to get very tidious for me.

Yeah on the DVD the space visuals got annoying after 2 minutes.

Elim   

I gave it a 7. The movie has it's flaws (the whole Ilia-Decker romance, I don't know, it doesn't work for me), but basically you're experiencing a Jerry Goldsmith symphony with stunning visuals.

I loved the bold decision to not go all Star Wars with this movie, but make it an intellectual story instead. It really is a unique movie.

While far from perfect, ST-TMP is a truly magnificent achievement in film and a unique film in the ST canon as well.

I will never forget when I first saw this one; I was about 12 or so, and I was already a TOS fan at this point (got into TOS about the mid-'70s or so) and TMP simply blew my feeble, 12 yr old mind. It was NOT a Star Warsed-up version of TOS; far from it. It had more in common with "Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind" or even more so with "2001: A Space Odyssey" (my favorite scifi film of all time). Seeing the magnificent Enterprise-in-spacedock sequences, or the eerie awe-inspiring beauty of the V'ger cloud on the big screen was more akin to a really cool planetarium show than going to a regular old movie. The fact that this planetarium show was populated by the cast of TOS was just icing on the cake for me (hey; I was 12, OK? My current taste for character-over-spectacle hadn't fully evolved yet.... :P ).

As stories go, it was really kind of a retread of "The Changeling" and "The Immunity Syndrome" but no matter. It was ST as I'd always hoped it could be someday. The ship no longer looked like the chintzy AMT model kit I had in my bedroom; it LOOKED like a real bloody spaceship! With people inside the windows, not lights. It was a grand experiment in both film and in ST; ST as experience....

As an adult however, I still watch it and while the spectacle of 1979 doesn't quite hold as much punch these days (especially since EVERY movie is spectacle these days), it still has a lot going for it. While Kirk seems abnormally stiff and mean, it could also be the 'rigor' that set into his mind after two years of admiralty between TOS and TMP. Spock had the most fascinating character arc of the movie; going from cold, impassive 'uber-Vulcan' to the more relaxed 'twinkle in his eye' version of Spock we see from TWOK onward. A more assured, 'mellowed' Spock; at peace with his previously warring halves. The V'ger mind meld changed him forever.

Decker and Ilia were essentially prototypes for Riker and Troi in TNG, and Decker's final 'sacrifice' at the end (to join with V'ger and help it to evolve) was kind of a nice way to 'clean house' of extraneous characters and to keep the future movie focus on our beloved TOS heroes (which, sadly, only happened rarely after this movie). The late Persis Khambatta's performance as the Ilia probe is also sadly underrated; she really ACTED like an inhuman device. It's a performance that recalls (for me) the scary, mechanical Arnold Schwarzenegger in the first Terminator movie. Sadly, few of the TOS actors outside of McCoy and Scotty have any real moments in the movie to make an impression on new audiences... :(

And finally, the utterly BEAUTIFUL score from the late Jerry Goldsmith. This is easily my favorite movie score of all of ST. :thumbup: From the kool Klingon kastanets to the beautiful, dreamlike feeling of the V'ger interior to the sparkling new "Enterprise" theme (which became TNG's theme as well, and rightly so). This is a VERY dynamic score. Going from nautical (Enterprise's launch theme) to eerie (the 'blaster beam' music of V'ger ). It is a full auditory journey....

All things considered, ST-TMP is a flawed masterpiece. A slightly tarnished but still lovely jewel in the late filmmaker Robert Wise's cap.

For me, and my wonderful memories of it? It rates a solid 8. ;)

Edited by Sehlat Vie

if it were me i would have made the V'ger flyover twice as long. Also i would have shown more exotic areas of the vger ship interior. Everything people hate about TMP, I liked lol. Well, except those godaweful uniformes. I would have changes those. Also i would have shown the enterprise racing to get out of the vger ship. BTW those of you that have not seen thhe directors edition, need to. its a HUGE improvement.

I enjoyed this movie. The uniforms are meh, but it's not really a big deal when I consider the other good things going. I am one of those who enjoys the looking over of the Enterprise at the beginning, mostly because of the music, to be honest. The score is fantastic. And the sound of V'ger...wow. I do love the visuals...just experiencing them along with the score gives it a sense of how BIG V'ger has gotten. And like mentioned on the first page, I love how there really is no true villain in the story.

I enjoyed this movie. The uniforms are meh, but it's not really a big deal when I consider the other good things going. I am one of those who enjoys the looking over of the Enterprise at the beginning, mostly because of the music, to be honest. The score is fantastic. And the sound of V'ger...wow. I do love the visuals...just experiencing them along with the score gives it a sense of how BIG V'ger has gotten. And like mentioned on the first page, I love how there really is no true villain in the story.

The soundtrack of TMP is my favorite in the entire ST canon. It is just wall-to-wall gorgeous. I had the LP as a kid, and my wife bought me the CD about 12 years ago for Christmas. If I could justify it? I'd buy the new 3 disc version they recently released.

And yes, the uniforms in the movie are crap. No question. They look like Dr. Denton toddler jumpers. But there is so much else going on in this visually lush movie if you appreciate slower, more leisurely paced scifi ("2001: A Space Odyssey" is my favorite movie, so that tells you where I'm at, taste-wise). I agree with those who criticize it's lack of character development (only Spock goes through any kind of meaningful arc), but this is ST as tone poem. As a one-off, it was a fascinating experiment. But no, I wouldn't want to see four more just like it. I like that it exists as a beautifully realized 'art film' Star Trek. But the franchise wouldn't have survived if they did another one just like it...

And it still gets an 8 in my book! :thumbup:

BTW those of you that have not seen thhe directors edition, need to. its a HUGE improvement.

Indeed it is.

In fact, I just watched it a few days ago. It's a bit tighter, and some of the FX fixes are so subtle you don't notice them unless you're looking for them.

I also loved Michael Okuda's wonderfully informative text commentary track (subtitle option 2). Well worth a look. ;)

Edited by Sehlat Vie

The soundtrack of TMP is my favorite in the entire ST canon. It is just wall-to-wall gorgeous. I had the LP as a kid, and my wife bought me the CD about 12 years ago for Christmas. If I could justify it? I'd buy the new 3 disc version they recently released.

The soundtrack was okay. Unlike the movie, the music didn't drag forever.

I wouldnt mind if the v'ger flyover lasted 3 hours. That whole thing kept me interested. I seriously need to get the tmp soundtrack. I have it on Vinyl along with Star Trek II and IV. but i dont have a record player. I really wished theyd do a film to follow up on VGer...now evolved. But no one in the movie industry today is that imaginative. Its all action now days. Drama and action and sensless violence. I hate todays films with a passion. No good science fiction.

I wouldnt mind if the v'ger flyover lasted 3 hours. That whole thing kept me interested. I seriously need to get the tmp soundtrack. I have it on Vinyl along with Star Trek II and IV. but i dont have a record player. I really wished theyd do a film to follow up on VGer...now evolved. But no one in the movie industry today is that imaginative. Its all action now days. Drama and action and sensless violence. I hate todays films with a passion. No good science fiction.

There's TONS of sci-fantasy out there these days (all the big blockbusters fall into either fantasy or space opera/invasion movies), but very little thoughtful science fiction. Occasionally, you get nice indie scifi movies like "Another Earth" or under-the-radar greats like "Gattaca" (one of my favorites), but genuine thoughtful science fiction in mainstream movies is kind of rare these days. "The Matrix" was a great attempt, but even that one fell into the spectacle-for-spectacle's-sake trap (and the sequels were largely excrement).

ST-TMP was a thought-provoking, big budget studio-made exploration into artificial sentience and consciousness and what it means to be a living thing (a point made more clear in the director's cut, IMO). And NOTHING is blown up (the Klingons, Epsilon 9 and Ilia are assimilated into memory; not destroyed). No fist fights, no gratuitous sex scenes, not even random cursing. No one even fires a phaser! When it was first released, it was rated "G" (for general audiences; although the transporter mishap was potent nightmare fuel when I was 12). ST-TMP was much more "2001" or "Solaris" than "Star Wars." When I first saw ST-TMP at the age of 12 (that long ago?!?) it really made me FEEL as though I were traveling through space. The spacedock/V'ger cloud flyovers took their time and allowed the beautiful (and hauntingly surreal) images ample time to seep into my brain and stay there. Movies do not allow for any of the shots to truly linger in the subconscious anymore (a shame too, as modern FX have reached unparalleled heights of craftsmanship).

I don't think we'll EVER see anything like ST-TMP ever again, sadly.... :confused:

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Sign in to follow this