Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Voyager

Rate the motion Picture

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie   201 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

111 posts in this topic

I'd give it a 7; though the plot intself is itneresting, I felt it just went on too long, spending too much time on long, slow visuals of space began to get very tidious for me.

8. It's a good movie, and I like it just because it is so 'slow'. It has no "real" villain (V'Ger is just looking for its creator, after all) and it is all about how to handle a new "life form" and how to make contact with it - that's what Star Trek is supposed to be about. ^^

I give it an eight (when considering all the trek films) but would go higher if we're just talking about the TOS films.

I love it, and would probably place it in my top three Trek films, behind The Search for Spock and First Contact. The speed of the film is what makes it so great. I like that it's not something you can just through in the DVD player and watch when you're bored. You have to plan your day around it, or set aside a specific time to watch it. It's certainly the only Trek film that is not only meant to be watched, but experienced. And it's one of the few...if not the only Trek film that has sort of epic feel to me. The Undiscovered Country comes very close to being as epic as TMP, but doesn't match up. Still a great film mind you, but it can't touch TMP.

I give it a five. There's a good story here, but the novelization is better. The movie suffers from an overemphasis on SFX (which do look great) in place of story development. The scenes where Kirk and Scotty go out to the Enterprise is a good example - Scotty flies along the entire port side of the ship, then comes around the starboard side of the saucer so he can park on the port side of the hull. I understand the desire to make this dramatic, but did he really have to fly that far to get where he was going? :P

The lack of story and character development is the film's biggest weakness. I don't feel much for Decker or Ilia, because the movie doesn't give them any depth. And it's annoying to watch very long scenes of the ship flying through V'Ger with almost zero dialogue. V'Ger looks cool, but its innards get boring quickly.

I give it a five. There's a good story here, but the novelization is better. The movie suffers from an overemphasis on SFX (which do look great) in place of story development. The scenes where Kirk and Scotty go out to the Enterprise is a good example - Scotty flies along the entire port side of the ship, then comes around the starboard side of the saucer so he can park on the port side of the hull. I understand the desire to make this dramatic, but did he really have to fly that far to get where he was going? :P

I agree that's what turned me off a bit. I think it's because it was the first time they were really using sfx this sophisticated so they wanted to show it off, which when it first came was probably great, but now it just seems to go on too long.

Yeah, I've found the novelizations to be better in general. TMP is certainly not a bad movie, not at all - I just think it falls short in a lot of areas, and it's unfortunate cause the SFX are pretty good. There just needed to be more development to go with them. That's also one reason TWOK has long been a personal favorite - when they recycled the footage of the Enterprise launching, they did it well. They made it dramatic without overdoing it.

I give it a 5. Recycled plot reminiscent of TOS' ep "The Changeling" and that awful scene of the transporter accident never impressed me much. Still, the acting was good and thats why I rank it somewhere in the middle.

I like the plot, but it was soooooooooooooooo slow. It took Kirk and Scotty approximately 20 minutes of screen time to fly a little pod to the Enterprise.

Even though the plot was an awful lot like "The Changeling", there was one satisfying twist to the whole thing. I remember a novel that Shatner wrote and it was accepted as canon; in the book, he said that V'ger was an early form of the Borg. That the planet V'ger was from was the Borg home planet. It settled there after it got sucked into a black hole. And it all started in "First Contact" when Enterprise-E blew up the Borg sphere. It was during this time, I believe, that Voyager 6 was already on its way to the Borg planet. The wreckage settled on Earth and one of the Vulcans who landed on Earth found the wreckage, brought back some mechanical specimens and injected herself with them. Overtime, she became more and more Borg. She traveled to the home planet and, being part Borg, they left her alone and she began to create what would become the collective. Through the years, she would meet Captains Archer, Kirk, Picard and Janeway. Through all those years, she'd been pursued by Vulcan and Romulan authorities and marked as a renegade. In the events following "Nemesis", Captain Picard and Admiral Janeway destroyed the Borg/Vulcan and her Borg fleet. Anyhoo...V'ger was an early Borg, it assimilated the three Klingon cruisers, Epsilon 9 and everything else that Spock sees in its memory banks. Its one of my favorite Trek films, it deals with a deep and terrific theme about knowing what you are and where you come from. It's about moving forward and making yourself better than you are. That it's okay to be logical, but, the emotions and the drive that compels us is what make us truly human.

None of the books Shattner co-wrote are canon, at least not officially. They might be accepted as personal canon as I've known some people that pick and choose what they consider canon, but according to the "it's only canon if it appears on screen" rule, none of the novels qualify, even those written by people who have been part of Trek, like Shattner.

Well, I can safely say it's apocryphal. It is a neat concept if you think about it.

I gave it a 7. A decent, entertaining movie, and I found myself wondering how the heck they made the cloud effects before CGI! The FX are still impressive today. The movie was a bit slow, particularly at the start, but I liked the characterization, the interplay between crew members and the plot. But then, I only recently got back into Trek in a big way, and may be less jaded than some who've seen every episode and movie multiple times.

It's unfortunate that GR is no longer around, because although the rule often is that novels aren't fully as canon as what's shown on screen, there are exceptions. Babylon 5 comes to mind, where JMS himself approved some of the books as canon. I liked what little I've read by Shatner, so I'd like to read more...

I gave it an 8. I love this film, slow pace and all. The FX are still awesome. I don't really care for the sleepware that they passed off as a uniform however.

I gave it a one. Im sorry guys! It just went on and on and on and on....

Was it nessecary for it to take 20 minutes to show them getting to the Enterprise in the shuttle? Its like, yo dont need to slow pan across the Enterprise for 20 - 30 minutes...boring.

The action didnt come till the last 20 minutes, and I was asleep by 40 minutes in anyways.

Gave it a seven! Wish the storyline was a little better and also there costumes, there was not enough action for me!

My favorite Trek movie because of the plot, seeing the characters after a long absence, evolution of and the story being driven by the characters, the special effects, awesome score by Goldsmith, the new look and language of the Klingons, and of course, the Enterprise refit. I also think original cast did some of their best acting ever.

The pajama-forms suck ass though. Only Kirk's Admiral outfit seems decent, IMO.

Was it nessecary for it to take 20 minutes to show them getting to the Enterprise in the shuttle?

Lol - it's only 6 minutes. It does seem a little too long, but I think this is done because the director not only wanted the audience to take in and accept the changes to the original Enterprise, but also consider the Enterprise as a character herself.

:WarBird:

Still way to long and waaaaay to slow thorugh the whole thing. I was out like a light not even half in I dont think. Oh well, to each their own. Just was not a movie I liked.

6, they overdid the special effects, and the TMP uniforms are my least favorite, but it had a good storyline

Oh, the uniforms really look like pajamas. To be fair, I never really liked the TOS uniforms either.

Lol - it's only 6 minutes. It does seem a little too long, but I think this is done because the director not only wanted the audience to take in and accept the changes to the original Enterprise, but also consider the Enterprise as a character herself.

:WarBird:

Agreed, also it was away for all the fans to get a birds-eye-view of the Enterprise which fans never got to see. Anyway 6 minutes is overall really not much when the overall runtime of the film was 136 minutes. ;)

The weakest of the series..Still only slightly worse than Star Trek 5

I gave it a 7.

Voyage Home and Wrath of Khan are more to my liking.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0