Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dabo Queen

Rate This DS-9 Character- General Martok

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie   198 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

41 posts in this topic

My favorite Klingon after Worf and Gorkon. :) Martok was an amazing character. To a non-noble to General to Chancellor. Great arc. I could see him laying the ground work for the Klingon Empire joining the UFP (as was stated in ENT)

Martok was really the only Klingon I ever saw that actually seemed to live by all the "honor" business.

Im intrigued by the idea of ranking the DS9 characters, but I'd like more of a criteria.

What makes a great Trek character? What are the 3-5 aspects of a great Trek character?

I think at least one of those 3-5 things has to be the actor. Hertzler is definitely a point for Martock.

Martok was really the only Klingon I ever saw that actually seemed to live by all the "honor" business.

Seems like it doesn't it? Seems like every other Klingon had their own version of honor.

Seems like it doesn't it? Seems like every other Klingon had their own version of honor.

That shifted according to personal gain, or preservation of that honor. Ezri was basically right when she laid it out that the Empire had been corrupt for decades, if not centuries.

That shifted according to personal gain, or preservation of that honor. Ezri was basically right when she laid it out that the Empire had been corrupt for decades, if not centuries.

Any empire where assassination is a means of advancing in rank, or where women can't serve on its high council is already rotten beyond redemption in my book...

Any empire where assassination is a means of advancing in rank, or where women can't serve on its high council is already rotten beyond redemption in my book...

I could buy assassination as a cultural difference if they ever actually held to their codes of honor as to how it was to be done and why, but that was never the case. They twisted whatever up to justify it.

Well, Azetbur led the council, so, either she screwed up so badly that they kicked her gender off the Council or, more likely, she actually ruled well, was a populist hero, which made her a threat to her "honorable" fellow Council members.

Edited by prometheus59650

I think that even when he really respected all the Klingon traditions and all the honor thing, he was also a very good man who respected his fellows even if they were from the Federation. I liked the fact that he could get along so well with Sisko (most of the times) and that he seemed like a family man too. I also like he "adopted" Worf even when everybody had turned their backs on him because he understood that Worf was also a good and honorable guy (and when I say honorable I'm not talking about Klingon stuff only). He was also very brave.

I think that even when he really respected all the Klingon traditions and all the honor thing, he was also a very good man who respected his fellows even if they were from the Federation. I liked the fact that he could get along so well with Sisko (most of the times) and that he seemed like a family man too. I also like he "adopted" Worf even when everybody had turned their backs on him because he understood that Worf was also a good and honorable guy (and when I say honorable I'm not talking about Klingon stuff only). He was also very brave.

True. He was even open to Worf marrying an alien and bringing her into his House. Although - I'm sure it didn't hurt that Jadzia was a blood brother to Kor, Kang, and Koloth...lol

True. He was even open to Worf marrying an alien and bringing her into his House. Although - I'm sure it didn't hurt that Jadzia was a blood brother to Kor, Kang, and Koloth...lol

Or that she passed muster with the Lady of the House. :)

I could buy assassination as a cultural difference if they ever actually held to their codes of honor as to how it was to be done and why, but that was never the case. They twisted whatever up to justify it.

Well, Azetbur led the council, so, either she screwed up so badly that they kicked her gender off the Council or, more likely, she actually ruled well, was a populist hero, which made her a threat to her "honorable" fellow Council members.

I'm thinking the latter... as was the council's bulls#!t proclamation that Worf's dad was a traitor, which was done just to keep the current status quo. Shameful. If Klingons are all about 'honor', then I'm a member of the 700 Club.

I'm thinking the latter... as was the council's bulls#!t proclamation that Worf's dad was a traitor, which was done just to keep the current status quo. Shameful. If Klingons are all about 'honor', then I'm a member of the 700 Club.

Oh, come on. Pat Robertson is a beacon of wisdom for the 15th century. :)

Yeah, I suspect Azetbur was doing well and found herself getting gourmet meals with K'mpec's special sauce.

Martock was great in part because he was not written as a Klingon stereotype, like so many other Klingons were. But he never did or said anything that your typical Klingon stereotype wouldn't. It's just that he was written and performed in a way that made him complex, a believable person.

Worf had this quality on TNG. Ironically, when he moved to a more character driven show, he became a little more one dimensional somehow. (Maybe the writers were never invested in him because the studio forced him on them). I think in season 2 he had a line, "Only a fool has no fear." He was wise. On DS9, he said the opposite, that he had no fear. He was seldom allowed to be conflicted or smart.

I don't think Worf was ever that bright. This is a guy that was going to shoot the viewscreen to get Q. There are several ways that this is not a good idea. He was always a simple man, in that his biggest priority was always himself. His honor and his perception of it.Loses his honor to cover up for other people and then spends years whining about it.

Has a child and proves himself to be a completely deadbeat dad, and ultimately, years later when confronted about it basically tells Alexander to suck it up.

Screws with Kurn's life more than once because it serves his needs best. He forces Kurn to side with Gowron when Kurn didn't want to. Kurn is right later when he asks if Worf even gave a single thought of what would happen to Kurn when he refused Gowron's request to go fight against Cardassia, knowing the answer was that Worf didn't care at all.

Kurn asks him to do one blessed thing so that Kurn could regain his honor and he can't do it. But he can just basically arbitrarily decide to brain wipe the guy.

Worf was always a one-note guy, and that note was "mi-mi-mi-mi"

Edited by prometheus59650

I don't think Worf was ever that bright. This is a guy that was going to shoot the viewscreen to get Q. There are several ways that this is not a good idea. He was always a simple man, in that his biggest priority was always himself. His honor and his perception of it.Loses his honor to cover up for other people and then spends years whining about it.

Has a child and proves himself to be a completely deadbeat dad, and ultimately, years later when confronted about it basically tells Alexander to suck it up.

Screws with Kurn's life more than once because it serves his needs best. He forces Kurn to side with Gowron when Kurn didn't want to. Kurn is right later when he asks if Worf even gave a single thought of what would happen to Kurn when he refused Gowron's request to go fight against Cardassia, knowing the answer was that Worf didn't care at all.

Kurn asks him to do one blessed thing so that Kurn could regain his honor and he can't do it. But he can just basically arbitrarily decide to brain wipe the guy.

Worf was always a one-note guy, and that note was "mi-mi-mi-mi"

Very much agreed. :)

giphy.gif

Truth hurts, doesn't it Worf? :P:laugh: