dblozebn

Why do people hate Enterprise?

Daien   
Put simply fan expectations were too high. Most Trek fans think they know everything about the series and its back stories which many a novel, comic, and fan fiction has been written. In many cases fans know more about the show than the writers and actors.

Recently at a Trek convention they had a trivia contest where fans had to stump a panel of Trek experts; the catch, the question had to have dealt with something that happened on the show or was mentioned on the show. Many of the fans questions were thrown out because their questions did not deal with these events. Example; 'Name all Captains of the Costitution Class Enterprise'. Correct Answer; 'Pike, Kirk, Decker, Spock, Kirk'. Fans response; 'You forgot Robert April'. Judges question; 'Was it mentioned in the show?' Fans response; 'NO'. However Robert April exists in Trek lore.

This is why all prequels will fail. At least George Lucas was smart enough to bar anyone from writing or creating anything concerning the era that his prequels would cover. Even then fans still had complaints on what they expected. As for the technology differences between Enterprise and TOS. What did they expect that the crew would be using commuincators that were bigger than the TOS ones. We have cells phones smaller than what was used in Enterprise.

I think you covered it pretty well, aside from the somewhat petty bickering over many technical details (I suppose a little bit of research should have been done before final selection on the design was done. Then again, the design a fan made and got wide distribution made me think of a Constitution-class that was missing the neck). This among other things meant that even if they had somehow tried to work with lore (MA for instance, accepts TAS as Canon, which Paramount does not, another good example of accepted canon), there still would have been problems with the show (many of the execs have admitted that the ratings system was flawed in the original run, though).

In a partial response above, I have to also state that problems with the technology and weapons seemed a bit nit picky (although in my opinion the EM-33's would have been a better side arm), problems with the fact they had plasma screens, a few touch buttons here and there, the ship looking more advanced then Kirks (please, that one will never sell on me, anyone that tells me that will usually admit to me in convos they did not watch the show much) Enterprise. I will admit that using the name Enterprise may have been a mistake, Discovery or Daedalus or Challenger, something more along those lines might have been a better choice. I must point out that repeat stories and chars doing things happen after 18+ years of trek, perhaps ENT should have waited a few years after VOY ended to start?

Enterprise definitely is not the first show to violate canon, or reuse storylines. I think, again, fan expectations, and trek lore ultimately killed it (A friend of mines husband refuses to accept this show as "ever happening" because his lore has the USS Ranger initiating an ill fated First Contact with the Klingons, that sort of thing). Another thing is word of mouth, and someone tuning in for a few episodes and not paying attention to it much (someone I spoke to once, said the Vulcans were to emotional, especially in "The Vulcan Trilogy". Through her admittance, she hadn't seen very many more then those episodes, even then not paying attention to how they came out. This tells me that she didn't see the Vulcan Reformation Arc starting), things like that caused additional problems.

I don't think there's a problem with the very idea of a prequel per se, it's just that a massive amounts of work needs to be done for it. One also has to ensure that problems will arise if there is a particular lore existing for it (Star Trek, Star Wars), or if it can be done in the style of the original (Dumb & Dumber could be an example of this, WHML was just BAD). Certainly, with research, and time put into the process and a well developed story (ok, props given to those who pick ENT apart here, B&B admitted they didn't design an overal storyline, stupid idea when making a series like this), it could work.

Ael   

I know quite alot of people hated the theme for the opening. I like the song, but didnt feel, for some reason, that it was right for a trek opening. Alot of the episodes, are obvoiusly remakes of other trek eps. I have had countless occassions when I was watching an ENT episode and going; Hey, this is just like that TNG ep where....

T'Pol was also not a very convincing vulcan as someone else said, but I found her adorable so... ;) When I first saw the show though, I didnt, and I was bugged by the fact that someone was lubeing her, or smeone else up, almost every few episodes. Its like, um...thats really not nessecary.

I never made it past season 1 originally when it was aired. Since then we have gotten all of the episodes, and have been watching them in order. I will admit, some arent that bad, and a couple were cute/funny. Alot of it, just wasnt 'trek' to me. I am ok with it now, but its not my fav series.

The timeline must have gotten screwed up more than Daniels brought the crew to fix cause some timeline things didn't match up but I believe it was said that the NX class with the warp 5 engine was slightly designed after the future ship that helped Cochrane make his warp flight. I believe I saw that somewhere so before the Borg tried to conquer earth in the past that design would not have crossed anyones mind.

If you don"t watch every episode in order you get utterly lost after a while cause at one point I watched the WW2 episode before seeing the first Daniels episode and said, "who the hell is this crackerjack"

You get lost in the continuity.

I was watching Enterprise on day on Sci-fi and missed it the last week and was like "what, when the h*ll did they do that?!?!?!"

it can be very annoying and confusing many times.

robjkay   
The timeline must have gotten screwed up more than Daniels brought the crew to fix cause some timeline things didn't match up but I believe it was said that the NX class with the warp 5 engine was slightly designed after the future ship that helped Cochrane make his warp flight. I believe I saw that somewhere so before the Borg tried to conquer earth in the past that design would not have crossed anyones mind.

That really does not make sense being Cochrane was never on the future Enterprise unless your saying Crochrane along with Archer's father and others were trying to make the NX look like Enterprise-E.

robjkay   
Did someone forget Cochranes good friend Lily who said Jean-Luc, blow up the damned ship!

As far as we know Lily Sloane had nothing to do with the NX program nor was she ever in the engine room of the Ent. E. Even if she was, I don't think she was able to understand the mechanics of the future Enterprise.

Plus, she never saw the ship from the outside...unless you count the gold models in the conference lounge or maybe a random display on the bridge. So it's not likely that the advanced design of the Enterprise-E could have influenced her contributions to whatever designs came after the Phoenix.

robjkay   
Plus, she never saw the ship from the outside...unless you count the gold models in the conference lounge or maybe a random display on the bridge. So it's not likely that the advanced design of the Enterprise-E could have influenced her contributions to whatever designs came after the Phoenix.

Thats right Lilly never saw the ship from the out side, I forgot that! Nice catch. :thumbsup2:

Anyway the NX class with the warp 5 engine was slightly designed after the Enterprise E by Crochrane is just another false rumor thats around the world wide web! :confused:

Glenn   
Thats right Lilly never saw the ship from the out side, I forgot that! Nice catch. :thumbsup2:

She did see all the observation lounge models, though.

"You broke your little ships..."

robjkay   
She did see all the observation lounge models, though.

"You broke your little ships..."

Then I guess the NX should have been the color of gold, just like them little ships! :biggrin:

Glenn   
Then I guess the NX should have been the color of gold, just like them little ships! :biggrin:

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, he's here all week... don't forget to tip your waitress and goodnight! :biggrin::biggrin:

Odo   

A lot of people complained about it not being standard Star trek "Canon" because it made up an entirely new race, the Xindi, but none of that bothered me. It was a good series. I Watched Deep space nine in its entirety immediately after Enterprise, and In my opinion I enjoyed DS9 much more. I liked enterprise to, but it started off a little too slow. It got good in seasons 3 and 4.

I don't hate ENT, I just don't enjoy it nearly as much as I do the other series'. Personally, I have very little interest in going backwards with Star Trek, I don't think there's a need for it, much like there's no need for this prequel flick comin' out. To me it's all about the future, moving forward.

Though, for the most part I did find ENT entertaining, but as a Trek series, more than a little disappointing.

robjkay   
A lot of people complained about it not being standard Star trek "Canon" because it made up an entirely new race, the Xindi, but none of that bothered me. It was a good series. I Watched Deep space nine in its entirety immediately after Enterprise, and In my opinion I enjoyed DS9 much more. I liked enterprise to, but it started off a little too slow. It got good in seasons 3 and 4.

Yeap, but it was only one of many reason people complained.

I don't mean to be rude but I thought this topic was dead? But I really don't mind Enterprise but it reused ideas from previous series but look at TNG and The Naked Now and then look at the (DS9)Children of Time and (Ent) E2 now I see a correlation my friend.

No topic is dead for as long as people have opinions on it :P

I still say there's something unnatural about having Star Trek go backwards...*sigh*

robjkay   
But I really don't mind Enterprise but it reused ideas from previous series but look at TNG and The Naked Now and then look at the (DS9)Children of Time and (Ent) E2 now I see a correlation my friend.

What does TNG; The Naked Now, DS9; Children of Time, Ent; E2 have to do with people hating Enterprise? :confused:

Glenn   
What does TNG; The Naked Now, DS9; Children of Time, Ent; E2 have to do with people hating Enterprise? :confused:

Not so much "The Naked Now" (TNG), but "Children of Time" (DS9) has a very similar plot to "E2" (ENT).

Same could be said for "One" (VGR) and "Doctor's Orders" (ENT) as well.

People turned off because they felt they'd seen the same stories before, that the show was rehashing old ideas.