Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lieutenant Bell'Orso

Rate this VOY character: Kim

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie   197 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

53 posts in this topic

I gave him a 1 and now that I think about that might be a bit harsh

You can always delete your vote and try again, just FYI. :)

Well I don't feel too bad about it lol

A go nowhere, do nothing character that was no different when he made it home than when he first stepped onto the boat. Suder had more character development in three episodes than Kim did in 7 years.

Edited by prometheus59650

I liked Harry's idealism, and how well it played off Tom Paris' sneaky side. My only gripe about the character was his "real self" never made it home; it was an alternate universe version after Harry got sucked out of an airlock. I'm surprised they never detailed that later on; most episodes acted like that event had never occurred.

I liked Harry's idealism, and how well it played off Tom Paris' sneaky side. My only gripe about the character was his "real self" never made it home; it was an alternate universe version after Harry got sucked out of an airlock. I'm surprised they never detailed that later on; most episodes acted like that event had never occurred.

Which never surprised me and was indicative of Voyager's much loved reset button.

Haha true but this Trek isn't the only one to do that. In DS9, the episode where O'Brien is time jumping, the "original" died and it is his future self that goes on. I'm sure there are numerous examples through out all the other Treks of something like that. It is depressing to think Harry Kim died, though.

In fact, according to Abrams and his multi-verse theory, all of the original heroes are dead. The episode where the Enterprise-D is caught in a time loop and repeatedly blows up? It was an alternate crew that went on and not the original. In the episode I mentioned above of O'Brien time jumping? DS9 exploded. So it was an alternate crew that went on. In the episode where the NX-ENT was destroyed in the alternate future where the Xindi won the war? An alternate crew went on.

All the more reason I hate the multiverse TIME theory. I'm fine with the multiverse as parallel realities but not mixing it with parallel time lines.

I don't have that negative of an outlook on him. He didn't get much development, but outside of Seven and the EMH? No one really did on the show. Maybe Tom kind of died by going from boyish rogue to...loyal father and good officer? I don't know.

I like Garret Wang a lot though. He seems to really love Star Trek and he can be a decent actor. The episode where Voyager crash landed on that planet and Harry Kim and Chakotay have to alter time? He did a decent acting job. Him never being promoted was a stupid running gag the same as Neelix food poisoning the crew.

Edited by The Founder

On the 7 seasons of the series, I found Harry Kim likable and promising at first (certainly in this episode in the beginning of season 2, when he's back on earth in this alternate reality), but since he got very few development, he was really just a bland and boring character I simply don't have any attachment to. I don't care about him one way or another. But at least I don't hate him like Neelix or Janeway.

I started liking this character when reading the post-series "relaunch" novels, though.

I started liking this character when reading the post-series "relaunch" novels, though.

All the characters are markedly better in the Beyer novels. Berman and Braga should read them and feel shame.

This is a stupid question but...did Harry Kim finally get promoted in the novels? Or did they keep that stupid running gag of him being the oldest ensign in the fleet?

This is a stupid question but...did Harry Kim finally get promoted in the novels? Or did they keep that stupid running gag of him being the oldest ensign in the fleet?

He did finally rank up, yet when Tom wants to zing him, there are a few playful jibes about him being stuck with a single pip for so long.

So both.

A character that never really went anywhere. Totally the fault of the writers, though. But for Harry Kim the character, I'll give a 4...

They just gave up trying to write him because every time they did, it just failed with a deafening thud. Same with Chakotay.

Harry was a one-of-a-kind character - a hybrid redshirt/goldshirt, one of the most frequently injured characters on the series who couldn't be killed...

He was going to be killed off at the end of Season 3 to make room for Jeri Ryan, that's why he had that thing attached to his face. Over that summer he got mentioned in People magazine's sexiest list so that saved him. Kes got written off instead.

I thought he was good in The Chute with Paris as well. It's a shame that his character got so neglected. I think Voyager kind of over-reached with the size of its main cast. They could have trimmed his character and Chakotay from the show and they would have ran a tighter ship. Maybe they thought that they would get Next Gen numbers when they returned to an exploration format. Garret Wang along with Russ are active in the fan film community, so it's hard for me to dislike his wooden Harry Kim character.

Oh, I don't know. I can usually separate the performance from the performer, and here it's mainly the writing that is at fault IMO.

That said, I would rather have seen Kim go and Kes stay...

The reason they decided to axe Kes instead of Kim is the most bizarre thing about Voyager. He was on a seciest people list, as if the Star Trek fanbase is swayed by such things. And I've always maintained that the character that should have been dropped was Neelix anyhow. He was an annoying character whos usefulness as the ship guide had ended. If looks were a factor in choosing who stayed and who left, then wouldn't having Kes, Kim, AND Seven of Nine make the most sense?

The reason they decided to axe Kes instead of Kim is the most bizarre thing about Voyager. He was on a seciest people list, as if the Star Trek fanbase is swayed by such things. And I've always maintained that the character that should have been dropped was Neelix anyhow. He was an annoying character whos usefulness as the ship guide had ended. If looks were a factor in choosing who stayed and who left, then wouldn't having Kes, Kim, AND Seven of Nine make the most sense?

A Neelix-free VGR would've been a bit more tolerable.

As for poor Kim, another (implied) reason the character wasn't promoted (or so I heard on Wang's telling podcast) was because of his conflicts with management.

My low rating of the Kim character (3) is no reflection on Wang's talent.

I would love to have seen what he could've done without the shackles and mandates of the VGR format....

A Neelix-free VGR would've been a bit more tolerable.

As for poor Kim, another (implied) reason the character wasn't promoted (or so I heard on Wang's telling podcast) was because of his conflicts with management.

My low rating of the Kim character (3) is no reflection on Wang's talent.

I would love to have seen what he could've done without the shackles and mandates of the VGR format....

I did a review of the episode in which Kes left the show, and I'm fairly certain it is just a long winded rant about how Kes was actually interesting and I hate Neelix and just WHY?

I also have nothing against Wang or most of the cast. The problem with the series and any character that never developed or worked was pretty much on the writers.

I don't think Kes came off as all that interesting, mostly because the writers got bored or lost their way. It was clear not long after they set her up that they didn't know what to do with her.

I don't think Kes came off as all that interesting, mostly because the writers got bored or lost their way. It was clear not long after they set her up that they didn't know what to do with her.

They never seemed to have a clear vision of who Kes was; she was either Neelix's squeeze (in a seriously off-putting relationship; it wasn't the age difference either...) or caregiver (the default ST position for all-too many female characters).

If they'd established her budding ESP power earlier on, she might've been more than a nurse or someone to water plants...

They never seemed to have a clear vision of who Kes was; she was either Neelix's squeeze (in a seriously off-putting relationship; it had all the sexual chemistry of an uncle and his niece) or caregiver

Perhaps I'm coloring it with "now" just a tiny bit, but there was never a point where that relationship was functional. At best it was a caretaker role.Most of the time it felt like a stalker with the object of his obsession, she was just too naive to figure it out.

Kes had more interesting episodes around her, even if she wasn't terribly interesting herself. She was vastly more interesting and tolerable than Neelix ever was.

Kes was good in Warlord, but other than that? She was just a pretty girl who would smile sweetly all the time, even when it didn't really fit the mood of the scene. Not only was her writing weak, I think the actress was out of her depth.

Kes was good in Warlord, but other than that? She was just a pretty girl who would smile sweetly all the time, even when it didn't really fit the mood of the scene. Not only was her writing weak, I think the actress was out of her depth.

I dunno about that; she was excellent in a supporting role in "American History X"... I think most of the problems with Kes stemmed from the writers not having a clear agenda for her character.

I dunno about that; she was excellent in a supporting role in "American History X"... I think most of the problems with Kes stemmed from the writers not having a clear agenda for her character.

Short synopsis of the series: no clear agenda.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0