Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lieutenant Bell'Orso

Rate this VOY character: Kim

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie   198 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

53 posts in this topic

Personally I give him a 7. A green boy at the beginning of the show turned man at the end. Now it's your turn to vote! :thumbsup2:

You don't want my opinion on how I think Harry Kim should be rated.. :thumbdown:

I'm going to try to be objective....

Nope, sorry... can't... do... it. I give him a 9. :inlove:

And no... it's not just because he's adorable (but he is...). I did enjoy most of the episodes he was featured in (like "The Chute", "Timeless", "Ashes to Ashes", etc...). But mostly, I enjoyed his interaction with the other crewmembers... like his friendship with Tom Paris. His devotion to Janeway... the funny, awkward moments between him & Seven of Nine.

A nice, likeable, loyal guy. (well, at least to me, anyway... lol)

Plus, he deserves a 9 for having been beat up so many times.

Wow! Bella, was that you voting 0 points? O_O Now I haven't checked back in in Jay's Rate Wesley topic over in the TNG sub forum, yet, but even if Jay had included that option into his poll I doubt many would have been THAT cruel! O_O

EDIT: OK, so someone did give Wesley only one point (Jay doesn't include 0 points in his polls), but I still maintain that neither Wes nor Harry would deserve that.

An 8. For the same reasons that I gave for Paris.

I gave Harry a 7. The running joke on his failure with women and his inabilty to get promoted, just make him a enjoyable character to watch.

Daxy, I don't think it was really him who was so amusing, but rather his constant bad luck with the girls. Poor Harry! :P

I liked him. He was upfront and sincere most of the time. He definitely should have been promoted to Lt. in those seven years.

Yeah well, but what use is a rank structure on a ship where in the end everyone is a Commander? ;) (TOS movies anyone?)

ANNOYING BASTARD!!! He deserves no number!!! AAARGH!

I loved Harry Kim!

I gave him a 7 cos they never fully utilised or explored his character

I gave Harry a 7, he could be annoying at times but what I loved most about him was his naiveness.

Before anybody asks, yes, I was the one who voted 10. :thumbsup2:

Just as long as bel doesn't know where you live lol

I gave him only a 5. Not the best, but could have been worse. He was also a bit on the annoying side sometimes.

Terrible "character" (and one has to use the term very loosely).

He was just so boring with almost no redeeming features at all. He hardly did anything. He was obviously designed to be the one who wanted to get home most desperately, but after the first season you just couldn't do anything more with him.

We also have to believe that an ensign straight out of the academy would be assigned as a senior bridge officer, and worse than that, that he would often command the ship! That makes no sense whatsoever, especially considering we know of several lieutenants onboard who outranked him.

Plus, despite performing his duties admirably, he would never be promoted in 7 years! - And don't give me any excuses because Tom Paris and Tuvok were both promoted in that time (Paris was actually promoted, demoted and then promoted again!)

Most of his episodes would have worked equally well with any of the other characters in his place - Non Sequitur was a good episode for example but at the end of it, you didn't know anything about Kim that you didn't before. Many other episodes showed the same theme over and over again (how many times can one man fall in love with the wrong person?!)

There were a few moments of adequacy; in Daemon for example he talks about how he has learned from his experiences, which would be great if that was consistent, but in subsequent episodes he went straight back to the green eager-beaver we saw in Season One.

His friendship with Paris was OK, but not a patch on the chemistry that existed on DS9 between Bashir and O'Brien (for example).

In a cast of dull characters, his was one of the dullest; I give him a three (instead of a one or zero) because I've met the actor in person and he has MUCH more personality than he was ever allowed to show on screen (sadly). But for what was on screen? I give Harry Kim a three...

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Harry was my least favourite character in Voyager. I found him distinctly OK and rather wooden.

He got the least amount of character development on the show out of the main cast. Even Paris and Chakotay were more fleshed out. He was still an ensign when he arrived in the Alpha Quadrant! It wasn't Garret Wang's fault though, the human characters were supposed to be wooden to allow the alien characters to stand out.

I gave him a 3. A weak character who didn't grow much.

I also agree that a person straight out of the academy wouldn't be bridge crew. I've always thought there should be at least 3 bridge crews. There's too much work for one bridge crew. He should be the 4th in line in his position, backup to the 3rd crew. Then have an accident in the first episode that kills off the 1st,2nd and 3rd at his position. He survived because he was on the bridge filling in for a sick officer at the time. Then let the character grow up.

There was more than one duty shift, but the captain is always on call. I don't take issue with the presence of an ensign on the bridge crew. They weren't expecting to be away from home for very long before they got lost. I don't think he should have been an ensign by season 7, that was just ridiculous pettiness by the producers.

I gave him a 1 and now that I think about that might be a bit harsh

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0