Sign in to follow this  
JayTheTrekkie

Rate this TNG character: Counselor/Commander Deanna Troi

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

202 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

Indeed, I've never heard anyone complain about Sirtis in any way, she really seems to be great with the fans.

She did improve slightly in the later seasons indeed, and I actually really liked her in First Contact. What they REALLY should NOT have done in the movies is the whole "Troi's crashing the ship again" thing, though. That did SO not help her character, lol.

Indeed, I've never heard anyone complain about Sirtis in any way, she really seems to be great with the fans.

She did improve slightly in the later seasons indeed, and I actually really liked her in First Contact. What they REALLY should NOT have done in the movies is the whole "Troi's crashing the ship again" thing, though. That did SO not help her character, lol.

I met her about two years ago and she is just wonderful. Vivacious and funny, too. I couldn't ever say a demeaning thing about her (but her character? That's another story...). As for Jeri Ryan? Same thing; talented actress (and utterly gorgeous outside of the Borg getup), but on VGR she was, as a friend of mine said, "Barbie of Borg."

Although I admit, her episodes of the show tended to be among my favorites. She was far more interesting than the aimless, boring Keebler elf character of Kes (and again; not a slight against Jennifer Lien; who was excellent in "American History X")....

I loved that running gag! :laugh:

she didnt get to help many people that much,gunian was always there to five advice,what is the point of a ship's counselor when no one seek her help.i think marina did a good job as deanna.

she didnt get to help many people that much,gunian was always there to five advice,what is the point of a ship's counselor when no one seek her help.i think marina did a good job as deanna.

It is kind of funny how her voice completely changed from the beginning of TNG to the end; in the first few years, Marina Sirtis was speaking in what sounded almost like a Greek accent (hence the Troi surname?) with lots of 'dis/dat' for 'this/that,' but later on she just kind of lapsed into her native London/cockney-ish accent. It was almost like Troi's more exotic accent was just sort of forgotten somewhere down the road... :dontgetit:

It's also interesting that neither of Troi's parents (her mother or her father; seen in flashbacks in Season 7) had either accent (Greek or British). Both sounded fairly American to my ears. Especially Betazed Luwaxanna; Majel Barrett was clearly doing her spin on "Auntie Mame" (and having a hell of a lot of fun, too). ;)

Edited by Sehlat Vie

I think it's reasonable to assume that Troi simply got rid of her accent over time because everyone around her just spoke Greek-accent-free English, lol.

kadajawi   

I can't go much lower than a 2, because I've met Marina Sirtis and she's a sweet lady.... but I really hated her character. She was utterly useless (Guinan did her job far better than she ever could), always stated the obvious (at least they toned that down in later seasons), didn't even wear a proper uniform until almost the END of the freaking show, and she was just generally annoying. Her new-age platitudes and PC-isms date the show worse than the miniskirts and go-go boots of TOS. McCoy used to do the equivalent of her job on TOS and without all the "I feel your pain" histrionics. I would've preferred the idea of a ship's counselor be a recurring role; as in, when someone actually NEEDED counseling (and played by someone who actually ACTS like a real therapist... like Whoopi Goldberg).

Again, Sirtis is a sweetheart, but the character is awful. A two from me, I'm afraid....

Haha, I agree. Except for the uniform... that she didn't wear a proper one was the best thing about her. Her acting was awful, the character wasn't very interesting and stated the obvious. Sirtis is kind of hot though, and probably a nice lady. That being said, I've just rewatched season 1 and 2, and it's been a long time since I have seen the rest. So maybe she did get much better... but for season 1 and 2 it's a 3 at best...

SLWalker   

You know, I am of the odd mind that I actually really like Troi as a person, but really don't like her so much as a counsellor or an officer of the ship. Though she improves in later seasons.

I can't go much lower than a 2, because I've met Marina Sirtis and she's a sweet lady.... but I really hated her character. She was utterly useless (Guinan did her job far better than she ever could), always stated the obvious (at least they toned that down in later seasons), didn't even wear a proper uniform until almost the END of the freaking show, and she was just generally annoying. Her new-age platitudes and PC-isms date the show worse than the miniskirts and go-go boots of TOS. McCoy used to do the equivalent of her job on TOS and without all the "I feel your pain" histrionics. I would've preferred the idea of a ship's counselor be a recurring role; as in, when someone actually NEEDED counseling (and played by someone who actually ACTS like a real therapist... like Whoopi Goldberg).

Again, Sirtis is a sweetheart, but the character is awful. A two from me, I'm afraid....

Haha, I agree. Except for the uniform... that she didn't wear a proper one was the best thing about her. Her acting was awful, the character wasn't very interesting and stated the obvious. Sirtis is kind of hot though, and probably a nice lady. That being said, I've just rewatched season 1 and 2, and it's been a long time since I have seen the rest. So maybe she did get much better... but for season 1 and 2 it's a 3 at best...

In all honesty, Troi was perhaps my first crush and among my more favorite ST women still. Besides having a very nice rack IMO, she wasn't a stick figure. I am actually of the opinion that once she got into a proper uniform, she actually got hotter.

I do however think she sucked as an officer. Heck, whenever she pilots the Enterprise, she has to go and crash it into either a planet or ship! I also don't really like her in the 1st Season especially. Where she has to act out every little feeling. A lot of times it looks like she went to the Shatner School of Acting.

I think she would have fit well in the Mirror Universe as the Captain's Woman though. :P

Sign in to follow this