Sam

What was the last Star Trek episode you watched?

I'm at the end of Enterprise Season 3 now, and have for the most part really enjoyed the season. There have been two or three duds, but the darker tone of the show is much more enjoyable over the first two seasons. I'm looking forward to seeing how Season 4 holds up, every recent review I've read is overwhelmingly positive.

On 1/12/2018 at 5:31 AM, Dillkid said:

I'm at the end of Enterprise Season 3 now, and have for the most part really enjoyed the season. There have been two or three duds, but the darker tone of the show is much more enjoyable over the first two seasons. I'm looking forward to seeing how Season 4 holds up, every recent review I've read is overwhelmingly positive.

I think S4 is almost entirely enjoyable. 

Last ep for me, "The Pegasus." Terry O'quinn is, as always, a stellar character actor and the episode still holds for me even though it was tarnished by "These Are the Voyages." 

Season 4 of ENT now, I really liked the Nazi aliens episodes, and the Soong's Augments trilogy was fantastic. 

Edited by Dillkid

Other than last week's DSC "The Wolf Inside", I've been watching some S4 TNG on Netflix, "Brothers" and "Suddenly Human."

27 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

I watched TNG's "11001001" yesterday.

Also watched DSC, "Context is for Kings."

And I meant to mention this earlier, but I love your new banner...:thumbup:

Discovery put me in a Mirror Mood, so I had a Mirror Universe marathon.
Mirror, Mirror” is a classic; one of my top 5 (maybe 2) episodes.  It was like when a favorite song comes on the radio and you know every note.

In a Mirror, Darkly” is infinitely re-watchable -  great Terran Empire fun.  Like the Discovery Imperial episodes.  LONG LIVE THE EMPIRE!

Then comes the Deep Space Nine “Mirror” episodes.   They are nowhere near as fun, with no Terran Empire, just a defeated and oppressed Human Civilization we are supposed to feel sorry for.  Intendant Kira was a hoot, but everything else was just uninteresting.   Michael Dorn looked as bored playing the Regent as we were watching it.        Never again will I make myself suffer through these episodes.  
Oh well, we will always have the TOS, Enterprise, and now Discovery Mirror Universe episodes to enjoy.
LONG LIVE THE EMPIRE!

Edited by mars396

On 17.1.2018 at 2:42 PM, Sehlat Vie said:

And I meant to mention this earlier, but I love your new banner...:thumbup:

Thank you! I have a new OTP. :angel_not:

I watched TNG's "Home Soil" last night. Classic season 1. *much love*

4 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

Thank you! I have a new OTP. :angel_not:

I watched TNG's "Home Soil" last night. Classic season 1. *much love*

What I remember most of that episode?  The '80s hairdos.  That one mullet guy cracks me up...:giggle:

Been rewatching Deep Space Nine.  I am mid-season two in this rewatch and it is still the BEST Trek series...even this early on, it's just got a great cast and great writing.

15 hours ago, kenman said:

Been rewatching Deep Space Nine.  I am mid-season two in this rewatch and it is still the BEST Trek series...even this early on, it's just got a great cast and great writing.

No argument there.  
I did a partial rewatch a month or so ago, and it’s still absolutely amazing.

I've started TNG from the beggining again, in HD for the first time. General thoughts..

'Encounter At Farpoint' - A decent episode but very rough around the edges.

'The Naked Now' - Terrible, why do an episode where personalities change a week after the first episode?

'Code Of Honor' - All time terrible episode. 'A WOOMANN?!' Get out of here..

'The Last Outpost' - Meh it was alright, the Ferengi really didn't work as villains though.

'Where No Man Has Gone Before' - This is the first good TNG episode I think, I love the seen where the Captain finds his mum and she wants him to have a cup of tea 😊 I still find the scenery of the places they are sent to very beautiful, and it's great to see it in HD!

'Lonely Among Us' - Decent episode, it's the first spooky one. I had to laugh at 'P' for Picard being on the control pannels though. I would have liked to have seen more from the lizard aliens and the seal aliens, maybe instead of 'Code Of Honor' or 'Justice'.

'Justice' - Terrible! Awful! Minus Five Stars! 'CAN'T RUN??!! 😱, we can run right Commander?!' The outfits, the hairstyles, everything it's just so embarrasing! Wesley walks on the grass and falls on some flowers and they try to kill him? Wtf 😂 Picard saved this whole episode he was great.

'The Battle' - Again the Ferengi don't work as villians, but Picard was great.

'Hide And Q' - Not too bad this one, I always laugh at the idea of 1997 Wil Wheaton looking like a giant though. Also they were fine with Riker just going back to being first officer after being so rude to the Captain?

'Haven' - I enjoyed this one, not at all for Troi or the Haven stuff. For Data and for Picard mostly, they cracked me up several times.

'The Big Goodbye' - Ahh the first holodeck episode. They probably should have stopped using after this. Not bad episode.

1 hour ago, Dillkid said:

'Code Of Honor' - All time terrible episode. 'A WOOMANN?!' Get out of here..

Sexist AND racist.   This may qualify (to me) as the worst ST episode ever, largely because it’s so wrongheaded I just want to scream.

I dig your "this episode is kinda meh but Picard is great" reviews. Keep them coming, Dillkid. :laugh:

Honestly tho I'm glad to see someone giving season 1 another chance. It ain't as bad as everyone always says. (No excuse for "Code of Honor" indeed tho. NONE. I continue to be ashamed of this episode being part of my favorite Trek series.)

3 hours ago, Dillkid said:

Ahh the first holodeck episode. They probably should have stopped using after this

I shall censor my French, but the Holodeck is a bleeping death trap. There are so many safety features MISSING from that thing it's ridiculous. I mean, if the main computer did constant checks of the Holodeck subsystem code, comparing it to the clean code in its protected archives and simply cut power to the thing if the code no longer matched, (as in, "was corrupted") there go half your holodeck tragedies right there.

It was a writer's crutch to the nth degree.

Edited by prometheus59650

32 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

I shall censor my French, but the Holodeck is a bleeping death trap.

Unlike a certain capitaine we all know and love... :giggle:

WhoppingForthrightHare-max-1mb.gif

1 hour ago, Mr.Picard said:

Honestly tho I'm glad to see someone giving season 1 another chance. It ain't as bad as everyone always says. (No excuse for "Code of Honor" indeed tho. NONE. I continue to be ashamed of this episode being part of my favorite Trek series.)

I still fondly remember going to a Trek convention a few years ago, and hearing LeVar Burton and Michael Dorn ripping it a new one... for their scathing comments alone, it was almost worth its existence. :laugh:

8481246456_ea4663ee54_c.jpg

Dorn’s spot-on imitation of the planet’s leader, “You weeeel have no vasssine, NO Lt. Yar!”   Dorn had friends over for dinner when the episode aired, and he has embarrassedly defend it to them.   Burton just called the whole episode flat-out racist, there was a controversy with the director Russ Manning as well, but they didn’t get too into that.

LSTIW:

DSC, “The War Without, the War Within"

"The Conscience of the King."

This is another that I've aged into liking more, though I can never quite figure out if the episode wants me to have any sympathy for Kodos's position. I don't think so, and I don't have any, but every once in a while I get the sense that they want to imply that he was in a tough position, too.

As a side note, given why Kirk was meeting Leighton, and throughout the series, the TOS universe did seem to have an inordinate number of famines, viruses, and plagues. 

8 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

"The Conscience of the King."

This is another that I've aged into liking more, though I can never quite figure out if the episode wants me to have any sympathy for Kodos's position. I don't think so, and I don't have any, but every once in a while I get the sense that they want to imply that he was in a tough position, too.

As a side note, given why Kirk was meeting Leighton, and throughout the series, the TOS universe did seem to have an inordinate number of famines, viruses, and plagues. 

I never really thought of that, but you’re right.  

Isn’t this the universe where famine was a thing of the past?  Sometimes I think Roddenberry didn’t remember his own universe as well as he thought he did.

28 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Sometimes I think Roddenberry didn’t remember his own universe as well as he thought he did.

I'm a firm believer in two Roddenberrys: TOS Gene and Believing the Fanbase Hype Gene.

TOS Gene would have loved DS9. Utopia Gene, not so much.

More TNG Season 1 fun today!

'Datalore' - The first episode I ever saw! I had these three on a VHS and watched them hundreds of times as a little boy. My favourite two moments were 'Shut Up Wesley!' and the boy telling his annoying mother that he heard she knows how to turn on Data 😳🙈 Somehow I think Data has better tastes in women than Crusher. The Crystaline Entity looks amazing on Blu Ray it has to be said. Fun episode.

'Angel One' - I found the actual Angel One story boring even as a child. Nothing has changed, Riker got on my nerves for pulling a Kirk and sleeping with one of the alien women on an away mission. If Angel One was similar to Earth in the mid 20th Century, surely it was against the Prime Directive to even have diplomatic relations with them? Anyway the stuff on the ship was much more fun, Captain Picard once again saved the show even with the flu!

'11001001' - A good episode and my favourite of the season so far (that changes). The Binars were a great idea and I think they should have done more with them. They are kind of like friendly Borg. 

4 hours ago, Dillkid said:

More TNG Season 1 fun today!

'Datalore' - The first episode I ever saw! I had these three on a VHS and watched them hundreds of times as a little boy. My favourite two moments were 'Shut Up Wesley!' and the boy telling his annoying mother that he heard she knows how to turn on Data 😳🙈 Somehow I think Data has better tastes in women than Crusher. The Crystaline Entity looks amazing on Blu Ray it has to be said. Fun episode.

'Angel One' - I found the actual Angel One story boring even as a child. Nothing has changed, Riker got on my nerves for pulling a Kirk and sleeping with one of the alien women on an away mission. If Angel One was similar to Earth in the mid 20th Century, surely it was against the Prime Directive to even have diplomatic relations with them? Anyway the stuff on the ship was much more fun, Captain Picard once again saved the show even with the flu!

'11001001' - A good episode and my favourite of the season so far (that changes). The Binars were a great idea and I think they should have done more with them. They are kind of like friendly Borg. 

“Angel One” is hilarious.

Thanks to our Mr. Picard’s insights, I watch it very differently now than I did then, and it’s a laugh riot.   It’s so bad that it’s now crossed over into being a camp classic, IMO.

In my DS9 rewatch, I am realizing just how quickly the show found it's footing.  I had mis-remembered and assumed episodes like "The Maquis" two-parter and "The Wire"  were season three...but man those are just in the midst of a great run of episodes of Season Two!  DS9 had some solid episode in season one (and the excellent "Duet"), and Season Two the show is just Deep Space Nine in all it's glory.  It only gets better!  I love this series.

Then the internet was acting wonky and I couldn't get Netflix to load up (a problem a restart of the computer seemed to solve...), so I popped in Star Trek Beyond because I was thinking about it lately, and man this movie holds up for me.  Feels like Trek, and its fun. 

13 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

“Angel One” is hilarious.

Thanks to our Mr. Picard’s insights, I watch it very differently now than I did then, and it’s a laugh riot.   It’s so bad that it’s now crossed over into being a camp classic, IMO.

I'd love to hear more of Mr Picard's thoughts on this episode now 😆

23 hours ago, Dillkid said:

I'd love to hear more of Mr Picard's thoughts on this episode now 😆

Taking aside the whole Riker part of the plot, my thoughts about this episode are basically "A Klingon sneeze?" "Only one I know" (GENIUS WRITING. lmfao) and this

AngelOne-2.png

I meaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, who cares about a plot when you have shirtless!Jean-Luc? I know I'm being shallow yes

Oh a more serious note - "Angel One" works best when you just focus on the funny moments (like most of season 1's episodes do). Riker's outfit, Data being clueless about perfume... it's the little funny moments and unintentional hilarity with the KLINGON SNEEZE that just make this episode a festival of glorious camp. And honestly, they TRIED, with the whole "female-dominated society" thing. They missed the mark on many levels, but they tried to tackle things. They probably should have done such an episode in one of the later seasons with established characters and whatnot, but hey.

Oh and it also has a great Jean-Luc moment when he, without making any kind of fuss, asks Troi to make the initial contact with Angel One, respecting their traditions and rules. I love that. He has zero problems with stepping aside to let the ladies take over, and that's one thing I absolutely love about him. He's so considerate. :inlove:

As for me... I watched ENT's "Vox Sola" earlier and I really enjoyed it. Malcolm Reed and his attitude towards the alien creature I don't enjoy, but then I never enjoy Malcolm Reed and his attitude, so there's that. :P

1 hour ago, Mr.Picard said:

Taking aside the whole Riker part of the plot, my thoughts about this episode are basically "A Klingon sneeze?" "Only one I know" (GENIUS WRITING. lmfao) and this

AngelOne-2.png

I meaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, who cares about a plot when you have shirtless!Jean-Luc? I know I'm being shallow yes

Oh a more serious note - "Angel One" works best when you just focus on the funny moments (like most of season 1's episodes do). Riker's outfit, Data being clueless about perfume... it's the little funny moments and unintentional hilarity with the KLINGON SNEEZE that just make this episode a festival of glorious camp. And honestly, they TRIED, with the whole "female-dominated society" thing. They missed the mark on many levels, but they tried to tackle things. They probably should have done such an episode in one of the later seasons with established characters and whatnot, but hey.

Oh and it also has a great Jean-Luc moment when he, without making any kind of fuss, asks Troi to make the initial contact with Angel One, respecting their traditions and rules. I love that. He has zero problems with stepping aside to let the ladies take over, and that's one thing I absolutely love about him. He's so considerate. :inlove:

As for me... I watched ENT's "Vox Sola" earlier and I really enjoyed it. Malcolm Reed and his attitude towards the alien creature I don't enjoy, but then I never enjoy Malcolm Reed and his attitude, so there's that. :P

It's entirely your fault that I enjoy this episode as much as I do. :laugh:

LSTIW:

DCS, "Will You Take My Hand?" 

2 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

AngelOne-2.png

Haha thanks for sharing that 😋