Sam

What was the last Star Trek episode you watched?

12 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

The Trouble with Tribbles 

It still makes me laugh. It occurs to me that this kind of comedic frustrated-with-bureaucracy Kirk was Shatner’s finest take on the character. His and Nimoy’s comic timing in this episode is just... stellar. Nichelle Nichols and James Doohan are also out at the front of the footlights in this one. Scotty losing it because the Enterprise gets called a garbage scow by a Klingon is just too funny. The way Nichols gathers up tribbles and puts her stylus between her teeth when Kirk loses it at the tribble infestation on the bridge... these tiny character moments are what made TOS so incredibly memorable. 

So yeah, I’m gonna watch TAS More Tribbles, More Troubles and DS9 Trials and Tribble-ations next. 

Can I beam over to your house?  :laugh:

Sounds like fun.   

10 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Hurry up and invent that teleporter! :thumbup:

To quote Scotty in STIII, "Aye sir, I'm workin' on it..."  :P

I'm just skimming through Enterprise now, life is too short to watch episodes that sound boring. I watched 'Judgment' which was a bit meh, Archer getting broken out of frozen prison right at the last minute etc. I also watched 'Regeneration' which was interesting at first, but 22nd Century humans easily killing 24th Century Borg? And stopping an assimilation from happening? No. Get out.

4 hours ago, Dillkid said:

I'm just skimming through Enterprise now, life is too short to watch episodes that sound boring. I watched 'Judgment' which was a bit meh, Archer getting broken out of frozen prison right at the last minute etc. I also watched 'Regeneration' which was interesting at first, but 22nd Century humans easily killing 24th Century Borg? And stopping an assimilation from happening? No. Get out.

It’s not perfect, no, and I had a similar reaction when I first saw it. But in the right mood you can overlook that as a lucky break for our side. What I really like about it is that it restores a measure of creepiness to them after their emasculation on Voyager (Scorpion notwithstanding) and later appearances on TNG. Suddenly they’re remorseless and terrifying again. 

TAS: More Tribbles, More Troubles

DS9: Trials and Tribble-ations

TNG: Night Terrors

TNG: The Nth Degree

I’d really forgotten what a neat little episode The Nth Degree is. Hadn’t watched the remastered erosion before - some lovely FX too. 

7 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

TAS: More Tribbles, More Troubles

DS9: Trials and Tribble-ations

TNG: Night Terrors

TNG: The Nth Degree

I’d really forgotten what a neat little episode The Nth Degree is. Hadn’t watched the remastered erosion before - some lovely FX too. 

They have the remastered versions on Netflix; I may have to check "Nth Degree" out again sometime.   That was an interesting episode.  It's like "Where No Man Has Gone Before" but without the tragic ending.  And in both episodes, the ship flies into an extreme in our galaxy; the outer rim and the galactic center.  Never thought of that before...

26 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

They have the remastered versions on Netflix; I may have to check "Nth Degree" out again sometime.   That was an interesting episode.  It's like "Where No Man Has Gone Before" but without the tragic ending.  And in both episodes, the ship flies into an extreme in our galaxy; the outer rim and the galactic center.  Never thought of that before...

I said, “Hadn’t watched the remastered erosion before,” but fortunately you knew I meant “episode.” Damn you, Autocorrect! I can remember when spelling errors used to just be typos; now you get a completely nutty alternative meaning to your whole sentence. 

It’s really good, because you don’t know where it’s going and it’s quite sinister. But in true Trek fashion, it does an about-face and gives you a positive by the story’s end. Sometimes I find Barclay a bit irritating, but he’s really good in this one. Yeah, I Iike those ones where the ship really does go far beyond the comfort zones. Q Who is another like the ones you mention (with a less positive outcome) and obvs Where No One Has Gone Before which is one of TNG S1’s most memorable episodes. 

DS9's "Valiant"

You know, I kind of like this episode, having watched it again because it's just bad enough to be entertaining. While I can see in Walters the hints of what could make for a great captain and Coutney Peldon does a surprisingly good job as Ferris...all clipped tones and fake bluster trying to act like she's competent for a job three sizes too big for her.

And I know I probably shouldn't be amused by the Jem'Hadar-served comeuppance at the end, but I very much am.

Edited by prometheus59650

9 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

I said, “Hadn’t watched the remastered erosion before,” but fortunately you knew I meant “episode.” Damn you, Autocorrect! I can remember when spelling errors used to just be typos; now you get a completely nutty alternative meaning to your whole sentence. 

Ducking autocollect. ;)

Luckily, my limited telepathy did the rest...:P

2 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

DS9's "Valiant"

You know, I kind of like this episode, having watched it again because it's just bad enough to be entertaining. While I can see in Walters the hints of what could make for a great captain and Coutney Peldon does a surprisingly good job as Ferris...all clipped tones and fake bluster trying to act like she's competent for a job three sizes too big for her.

And I know I probably shouldn't be amused by the Jem'Hadar-served comeuppance at the end, but I very much am.

^
This is a better episode than it gets credit for being; I really enjoyed it.  It’s also a nice evolutionary step in the ginormous character arc of Nog.

I like 'Valiant' too. There are some pretty strong scenes in that episode, like Jake's argument with Nog and the final scene in the medical area.

Edited by Explorer3

4 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Ducking autocollect. ;)

Luckily, my limited telepathy did the rest...:P

^
This is a better episode than it gets credit for being; I really enjoyed it.  It’s also a nice evolutionary step in the ginormous character arc of Nog.

Yeah, whoever would have thought that a character that would have been decoration in any other Trek show would have the depth of development that he did.

2 hours ago, Explorer3 said:

I like 'Valiant' too. There are some pretty strong scenes in that episode, like Jake's argument with Nog and the final scene in the medical area.

And I like how quickly, yet believably Nog got sucked into The Cult of the Red Squad.

15 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

And I like how quickly, yet believably Nog got sucked into The Cult of the Red Squad.

Kind of reminded me of Wesley Crusher and Nova squadron in “First Duty” (another favorite of mine).

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Kind of reminded me of Wesley Crusher and Nova squadron in “First Duty” (another favorite of mine).

"Yeah. I always wanted the deleted scene where Wesley goes, "Don't give that, Nick, you weren't there. Tell you what, YOU go to the Enterprise, stand in front of Captain Jean-Luc Picard and give HIM that crap about how it's okay to blame Josh because Josh is the one that didn't make it, so it's not like he's going to disagree."

"Let me know how it works out, Nick."

Edited by prometheus59650

7 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

"Yeah. I always wanted the deleted scene where Wesley goes, "Don't give that, Nick, you weren't there. Tell you what, YOU go to the Enterprise, stand in front of Captain Jean-Luc Picard and give HIM that crap about how it's okay to blame Josh because Josh is the one that didn't make it, so it's not like he's going to disagree."

"Let me know how it works out, Nick."

Would've turned that episode into a vignette...:laugh:

Nog is a great example of what DS9 did with its characters, even the recurring ones. He could’ve easily been a throwaway, one-note character, but they developed him and many others, giving them all sorts of unexpected layers. I think it’s a big reason why DS9 remains they most fully fleshed-out and memorable of Star Trek shows. I’m hoping Discovery more fully pursues the same writing philosophies into its second season. 

Watched TNG: The Mind’s Eye (on a bit of a season 4 kick), which is  great Manchurian Candidate riff for Geordie and one of his better solo episodes (I hated it when they did a Geordie’s love life story - gah). It’s a shame they didn’t later explore the psychological ramifications of his conditioning by the Romulans though. 

And, partially because Prome and me were talking about it recently, also watched Descent, part 2. The memory doesn’t lie. It still kind of sucks. 

1 hour ago, Robin Bland said:

Watched TNG: The Mind’s Eye (on a bit of a season 4 kick), which is  great Manchurian Candidate riff for Geordie and one of his better solo episodes (I hated it when they did a Geordie’s love life story - gah). It’s a shame they didn’t later explore the psychological ramifications of his conditioning by the Romulans though. 

I liked Data playing the Frank Sinatra part (of Manchurian Candidate); appropriate for “Ol’ Yellow Eyes.”  :giggle:

And yes, more follow-through with Geordi’s condition would’ve been nice; something akin to Picard’s Borg trauma followup.  After all, LaForge was kidnapped, tortured, mind-frakked and turned into an assassin (!).  That’s got to be at least as traumatic as Picard’s horrible experience with the Borg...

1 hour ago, Robin Bland said:

Nog is a great example of what DS9 did with its characters, even the recurring ones. He could’ve easily been a throwaway, one-note character, but they developed him and many others, giving them all sorts of unexpected layers. I think it’s a big reason why DS9 remains they most fully fleshed-out and memorable of Star Trek shows.

Garak is more interesting in "The Wire" than Janeway was in seven years.

7 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I liked Data playing the Frank Sinatra part (of Manchurian Candidate); appropriate for “Ol’ Yellow Eyes.”  :giggle:

And yes, more follow-through with Geordi’s condition would’ve been nice; something akin to Picard’s Borg trauma followup.  After all, LaForge was kidnapped, tortured, mind-frakked and turned into an assassin (!).  That’s got to be at least as traumatic as Picard’s horrible experience with the Borg...

Data's great in this one - the way he slowly but methodically unpicks the mystery.

7 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Garak is more interesting in "The Wire" than Janeway was in seven years.

:laugh:

I've been watching Season 3 of Enterprise, I've been quite enjoying the story arc format and the Xindi story. It's much better than season 2. However out of no where is there episode 'North Star'. They only mention the Xindi once in the entire episode.

I watched TNG's "The Battle" yesterday... and then I watched ENT's "The Andorian Incident" and "Breaking The Ice".

17 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

I watched TNG's "The Battle" yesterday... and then I watched ENT's "The Andorian Incident" and "Breaking The Ice".

Good lineup.

I watched “The Battle” a few months ago; it kinda reinforced my already er, negative opinion of Dr. Crusher’s relative skills (trying to be nice...  :angel_not: :P).

2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Good lineup.

I watched “The Battle” a few months ago; it kinda reinforced my already er, negative opinion of Dr. Crusher’s relative skills (trying to be nice...  :angel_not: :P).

Picard: The pain is gone.

Crusher: It's just cloaked.

Wut?

If I can't feel the pain anymore, the pain is gone. What the hell does "cloaked" mean? How about, "Well, I've taken care of the symptom, but that probably won't last long unless I find the cause."

And she doesn't often encounter headaches (since the brain was apparently fully mapped and they "understood the nature of pain.") Really, because they understand how pain works no one gets tension headaches anymore?

If my choice is between Crusher and an EMH? Dr. Picardo all day, every day. 

17 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Picard: The pain is gone.

Crusher: It's just cloaked.

Wut?

If I can't feel the pain anymore, the pain is gone. What the hell does "cloaked" mean? How about, "Well, I've taken care of the symptom, but that probably won't last long unless I find the cause."

And she doesn't often encounter headaches (since the brain was apparently fully mapped and they "understood the nature of pain.") Really, because they understand how pain works no one gets tension headaches anymore?

If my choice is between Crusher and an EMH? Dr. Picardo all day, every day. 

Or Pulaski. ;)

LSTIW:  DS9, “The Sound Of Her Voice."

I’d almost forgotten what a great episode it was.  And super-kudos to guest star Debra Wilson as Capt. Cusack.  

I think she deserves a round of applause...

MV5BMjMwOTkxMjk2Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODY5

Best unseen guest starring role in all of DS9.  :thumbup:

23 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Or Pulaski. ;)

Indeed. Honestly, if I'm on the table and things are looking dicey, Dr. Beverly is the last person I'd want.

When I ponder her nature I have this clear vision of her botching everything and then trying to convince me of both her righteousness and moral superiority by telling me what a great life I can still lead as a Futurama head.

28 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I’d almost forgotten what a great episode it was.  And super-kudos to guest star Debra Wilson as Capt. Cusack.  

She nailed that episode, and that episode is another example of how completely DS9 nailed characterization like no Trek before it.