Sam

What was the last Star Trek episode you watched?

1 hour ago, Corylea said:

Yeah.  I wonder if we're just going to have to overlook the inconsistency, or if it will all be explained somehow.  I hope they don't claim that Spock did something awful or otherwise mess with what we already know.

Actually, the new David Mack DSC novel, “Desperate Hours”....

***** SPOILER ALERT FOR THE NOVEL *******

...does have Spock and Burnham working together during a joint mission between Pike’s Enterprise and the Shenzhou (the book takes place a year before the pilot of DSC), and Burnham comes to the realization that Sarek wanted Spock to better connect with his Vulcan half, while he wanted Burnham to try to reconnect with her somewhat suppressed humanity (mind you, Sarek did marry a human; do he does have an affinity for ‘our kind’).

51 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Let's not talk about Sybok...!

We’ll leave that for Gus...:laugh:

DISCO: Lethe

TNG: Sarek

...as good as I remember it. Mark Lenard really was a mighty guest star to feature back in season 3 of TNG, and I remember the impact it had. he and Stewart are superb in this ep, which is essentially a low-key character drama. When TNG did bottle shows like this, they often excelled (The Drumhead also comes to mind).

Although, at the end, Picard (melded with Sarek) doesn't mention Michael Burnham. I feel that it was very inconsiderate of the producers of TNG not to anticipate such eventualities.

DSC “Lethe” 

and TNG, “Angel One” (damn you, Mr. Picard, for making me come to love this utterly ridiculous episode :P).

I wished I watched “Sarek” instead; one of my favorite TNGs.  

An entire act of the episode takes place in Sarek's quarters with just Lenard & Stewart... and it totally works.

6 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

...as good as I remember it. Mark Lenard really was a mighty guest star to feature back in season 3 of TNG, and I remember the impact it had. he and Stewart are superb in this ep, which is essentially a low-key character drama. When TNG did bottle shows like this, they often excelled (The Drumhead also comes to mind).

Although, at the end, Picard (melded with Sarek) doesn't mention Michael Burnham. I feel that it was very inconsiderate of the producers of TNG not to anticipate such eventualities.

Shame they didn’t have the presence of mind 27 years ago to future-proof it.  :laugh:   No mention of Sybok either (or maybe Sarek just didn’t love him?  :P ).

3 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

DSC “Lethe” 

and TNG, “Angel One” (damn you, Mr. Picard, for making me come to love this utterly ridiculous episode :P).

I wished I watched “Sarek” instead; one of my favorite TNGs.  

Watch it now... it's still so, so good.

3 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

An entire act of the episode takes place in Sarek's quarters with just Lenard & Stewart... and it totally works.

Shame they didn’t have the presence of mind 27 years ago to future-proof it.  :laugh:   No mention of Sybok either (or maybe Sarek just didn’t love him?  :P ).

Strangely enough, I keep forgetting Sybok existed too.

No disrespect to Laurence Luckinbill, who surely fashioned a silk purse from (et cetera)... 

40 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Watch it now... it's still so, so good.

Strangely enough, I keep forgetting Sybok existed too.

No disrespect to Laurence Luckinbill, who surely fashioned a silk purse from (et cetera)... 

He was amazing in 1970’s “Boys in the Band."

And I thought he gave a strong performance as Sybok; it’s just too bad the character just didn’t need to exist.  :dontgetit:

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

He was amazing in 1970’s “Boys in the Band."

And I thought he gave a strong performance as Sybok; it’s just too bad the character just didn’t need to exist.  :dontgetit:

Absolutely no diss to his acting chops; he was warm and charismatic as Sybok and absolutely one of the best things about the film.

It's just that...

[Headcanon mode engaged]

Can we set this film in a parallel Trekniverse, too?

6 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

Absolutely no diss to his acting chops; he was warm and charismatic as Sybok and absolutely one of the best things about the film.

It's just that...

[Headcanon mode engaged]

Can we set this film in a parallel Trekniverse, too?

Headcanon does whatever one likes; that's the beauty of it...:laugh:

It’s that time of the year for my annual screening of TOS’ “Catspaw”; the first and last acts are the best.  

The midsection of the episode is REALLY talky; I’d almost forgotten how much. :dontgetit:

catspawhd0199.jpg

But the three witches, the initial appearance of the castle, and the ‘real’ Sylvia & Korob save it.  

Discovery 1.7, “Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad."

My first real disappointment of the series to date. 

Watching the first season STAR TREK episode CHARLIE X this evvening, which features strong performancs from Shatner and the cast, including Grace Lee Whitney as Janice Rand and guest actor Robert Walker as young and powerful Charles Evans and a iconic Fred Steiner musical score. One of my favorite episodes ever. RIP Grace.

23167779_10214846186007392_6009151250042

Good evening folks and have a great Friday night !

Gus

Star Trek Discovery, “Into the Forest I Go.”  

See my blog for details and spoilers!  https://musingsofamiddleagedgeek.blog/2017/11/12/star-trek-discovery-s1-9-into-the-forest-i-go-midseason-finale/

and I’m juuuuuuuuust finishing my donor preview of the very last episode of Star Trek Continues: “To Boldly Go, Part 2”.

Per STC’s request, I won’t divulge any spoilers but I just want to say....

nNYEEQp.gif