Sam

What was the last Star Trek episode you watched?

1 hour ago, Corylea said:

Yeah.  I wonder if we're just going to have to overlook the inconsistency, or if it will all be explained somehow.  I hope they don't claim that Spock did something awful or otherwise mess with what we already know.

Actually, the new David Mack DSC novel, “Desperate Hours”....

***** SPOILER ALERT FOR THE NOVEL *******

...does have Spock and Burnham working together during a joint mission between Pike’s Enterprise and the Shenzhou (the book takes place a year before the pilot of DSC), and Burnham comes to the realization that Sarek wanted Spock to better connect with his Vulcan half, while he wanted Burnham to try to reconnect with her somewhat suppressed humanity (mind you, Sarek did marry a human; do he does have an affinity for ‘our kind’).

51 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Let's not talk about Sybok...!

We’ll leave that for Gus...:laugh:

DISCO: Lethe

TNG: Sarek

...as good as I remember it. Mark Lenard really was a mighty guest star to feature back in season 3 of TNG, and I remember the impact it had. he and Stewart are superb in this ep, which is essentially a low-key character drama. When TNG did bottle shows like this, they often excelled (The Drumhead also comes to mind).

Although, at the end, Picard (melded with Sarek) doesn't mention Michael Burnham. I feel that it was very inconsiderate of the producers of TNG not to anticipate such eventualities.

DSC “Lethe” 

and TNG, “Angel One” (damn you, Mr. Picard, for making me come to love this utterly ridiculous episode :P).

I wished I watched “Sarek” instead; one of my favorite TNGs.  

An entire act of the episode takes place in Sarek's quarters with just Lenard & Stewart... and it totally works.

6 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

...as good as I remember it. Mark Lenard really was a mighty guest star to feature back in season 3 of TNG, and I remember the impact it had. he and Stewart are superb in this ep, which is essentially a low-key character drama. When TNG did bottle shows like this, they often excelled (The Drumhead also comes to mind).

Although, at the end, Picard (melded with Sarek) doesn't mention Michael Burnham. I feel that it was very inconsiderate of the producers of TNG not to anticipate such eventualities.

Shame they didn’t have the presence of mind 27 years ago to future-proof it.  :laugh:   No mention of Sybok either (or maybe Sarek just didn’t love him?  :P ).

3 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

DSC “Lethe” 

and TNG, “Angel One” (damn you, Mr. Picard, for making me come to love this utterly ridiculous episode :P).

I wished I watched “Sarek” instead; one of my favorite TNGs.  

Watch it now... it's still so, so good.

3 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

An entire act of the episode takes place in Sarek's quarters with just Lenard & Stewart... and it totally works.

Shame they didn’t have the presence of mind 27 years ago to future-proof it.  :laugh:   No mention of Sybok either (or maybe Sarek just didn’t love him?  :P ).

Strangely enough, I keep forgetting Sybok existed too.

No disrespect to Laurence Luckinbill, who surely fashioned a silk purse from (et cetera)... 

40 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Watch it now... it's still so, so good.

Strangely enough, I keep forgetting Sybok existed too.

No disrespect to Laurence Luckinbill, who surely fashioned a silk purse from (et cetera)... 

He was amazing in 1970’s “Boys in the Band."

And I thought he gave a strong performance as Sybok; it’s just too bad the character just didn’t need to exist.  :dontgetit:

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

He was amazing in 1970’s “Boys in the Band."

And I thought he gave a strong performance as Sybok; it’s just too bad the character just didn’t need to exist.  :dontgetit:

Absolutely no diss to his acting chops; he was warm and charismatic as Sybok and absolutely one of the best things about the film.

It's just that...

[Headcanon mode engaged]

Can we set this film in a parallel Trekniverse, too?

6 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

Absolutely no diss to his acting chops; he was warm and charismatic as Sybok and absolutely one of the best things about the film.

It's just that...

[Headcanon mode engaged]

Can we set this film in a parallel Trekniverse, too?

Headcanon does whatever one likes; that's the beauty of it...:laugh:

It’s that time of the year for my annual screening of TOS’ “Catspaw”; the first and last acts are the best.  

The midsection of the episode is REALLY talky; I’d almost forgotten how much. :dontgetit:

catspawhd0199.jpg

But the three witches, the initial appearance of the castle, and the ‘real’ Sylvia & Korob save it.  

Discovery 1.7, “Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad."

My first real disappointment of the series to date. 

Watching the first season STAR TREK episode CHARLIE X this evvening, which features strong performancs from Shatner and the cast, including Grace Lee Whitney as Janice Rand and guest actor Robert Walker as young and powerful Charles Evans and a iconic Fred Steiner musical score. One of my favorite episodes ever. RIP Grace.

23167779_10214846186007392_6009151250042

Good evening folks and have a great Friday night !

Gus

Star Trek Discovery, “Into the Forest I Go.”  

See my blog for details and spoilers!  https://musingsofamiddleagedgeek.blog/2017/11/12/star-trek-discovery-s1-9-into-the-forest-i-go-midseason-finale/

and I’m juuuuuuuuust finishing my donor preview of the very last episode of Star Trek Continues: “To Boldly Go, Part 2”.

Per STC’s request, I won’t divulge any spoilers but I just want to say....

nNYEEQp.gif

When it's bad, it's really bad, but, for me, it's aged better than TNG.

Though while I was always in like, I was never in love with TNG to start with.

5 hours ago, Dillkid said:

I'm still struggling through Enterprise Season 2, every time I put it on I sit here wishing I was watching TNG.

I'd say stick with it. There's a great Borg episode coming up. And after Season 2, which sometimes seems like retreads of all the thinnest TNG and Voyager plots, it really does improve.

1 hour ago, Robin Bland said:

I'd say stick with it. There's a great Borg episode coming up. And after Season 2, which sometimes seems like retreads of all the thinnest TNG and Voyager plots, it really does improve.

This.

It gets better. 

Dillkid   

I mean the Vulcan/Andorian episodes are good, and the temperal cold war episodes are interesting. But there are so few of them, it's almost all filler.

On 12/1/2017 at 9:53 AM, Dillkid said:

I mean the Vulcan/Andorian episodes are good, and the temperal cold war episodes are interesting. But there are so few of them, it's almost all filler.

Season 2 is when, during original broadcast, I fell off watching the show. I remember feeling really disillusioned with it. I liked the characters - the crew - but the stories really left something to be desired. I came back at the end of season 3, when a friend told me it had improved, and stayed for the duration of season 4. Much later, I revisited the the whole series again. And yeah, I agree, season 2 is its weakest spot, despite the odd good installments. Maybe skip to the end (do watch that Borg episode, Regeneration) and go straight to season 3? 

Just watched TNG S4 Devil's Due. As silly as I remember it, but kinda fun for Kirk-a-like Picard for one episode, and scenery chewing guest star Marta DuBois.

LSTIW:

DS9, “What We Leave Behind...”  

I just have something in my eye, that’s all.  Shut up. :P

"The Galileo Seven"

Great Spock episode. And I get that Ferris is supposed to be the semi-bad guy here, but he's actually completely correct. There was no earthly reason for Kirk to risk being late to deliver drugs to combat a plague. Murassaki was still going to be there in five days. There was no reason that he couldn't have returned AFTER the rendezvous.

Then he gets to look for Spock for weeks. 

1 hour ago, prometheus59650 said:

"The Galileo Seven"

Great Spock episode. And I get that Ferris is supposed to be the semi-bad guy here, but he's actually completely correct. There was no earthly reason for Kirk to risk being late to deliver drugs to combat a plague. Murassaki was still going to be there in five days. There was no reason that he couldn't have returned AFTER the rendezvous.

Then he gets to look for Spock for weeks. 

Yeah, Kirk's motivation to investigate Murasaki 312 because....'standing orders' just seems really weak.  Maybe if the Galileo had flown into the phenomenon already, and THEN the Enterprise had received a distress call to rendezvous and pick up the drugs for New Paris (?).   Wouldn't that have worked as well?  

36 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Yeah, Kirk's motivation to investigate Murasaki 312 because....'standing orders' just seems really weak.  Maybe if the Galileo had flown into the phenomenon already, and THEN the Enterprise had received a distress call to rendezvous and pick up the drugs for New Paris (?).   Wouldn't that have worked as well?  

Quite probably.

I mean, you can tweak the first act a bit. show the crash and then cut to the Enterprise in its search...perhaps about to close on the planet, but then they have to wait for Ferris and his drugs to intercept them from a slower ship.

Plot-wise, the problem of the crashed Galileo needs to exist already to justify Kirk being there. As it is, Kirk created his own headaches unnecessarily.

Just like, "Here mysterious and easily fatigued stranger, read up on all my ship's technical manuals. I'm sure your evasiveness and dishonesty won't be a problem later." ;)

2 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Plot-wise, the problem of the crashed Galileo needs to exist already to justify Kirk being there. As it is, Kirk created his own headaches unnecessarily.

Just like, "Here mysterious and easily fatigued stranger, read up on all my ship's technical manuals. I'm sure your evasiveness and dishonesty won't be a problem later." ;)

^
Once again reiterating one of my many issues with “Space Seed.” :P

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

^
Once again reiterating one of my many issues with “Space Seed.” :P

Really, not long after Voyager wrapped an essay about all the things Janeway could and should have been court-martialed for went viral and actually sparked a lot of debate.

Kirk has his own list.

They all do, I suppose, but as I recall Picard is probably cleanest.

1 hour ago, prometheus59650 said:

Really, not long after Voyager wrapped an essay about all the things Janeway could and should have been court-martialed for went viral and actually sparked a lot of debate.

Kirk has his own list.

They all do, I suppose, but as I recall Picard is probably cleanest.

Agreed.

One thing that he, Lorca and even Sisko have in common is that they’re all decidedly un-Kirk like.   I appreciate that.  Not that I dislike Kirk, but I don’t want every third captain to be just like him either...

The Trouble with Tribbles 

It still makes me laugh. It occurs to me that this kind of comedic frustrated-with-bureaucracy Kirk was Shatner’s finest take on the character. His and Nimoy’s comic timing in this episode is just... stellar. Nichelle Nichols and James Doohan are also out at the front of the footlights in this one. Scotty losing it because the Enterprise gets called a garbage scow by a Klingon is just too funny. The way Nichols gathers up tribbles and puts her stylus between her teeth when Kirk loses it at the tribble infestation on the bridge... these tiny character moments are what made TOS so incredibly memorable. 

So yeah, I’m gonna watch TAS More Tribbles, More Troubles and DS9 Trials and Tribble-ations next.