Sam

What was the last Star Trek episode you watched?

I watched TNG's "Lonely Among Us" earlier today, and I looooooved it all over again. It's hilarious, and that's why it's one of my top ten TNG episodes. I just can't stop laughing when I watch it. Brilliant stuff. Heh.

9 hours ago, Rusty0918 said:

I just saw the TNG episode "11001001," while better than "Angel One," there's one big problem with it, is what caused the Bynars' computer to fail - an EMP caused by a supernova in their star system. Forgive me for saying this, but wouldn't a supernova destroy the Bynar homeworld? I mean, it would more than just knock out their main computer. If the planet wasn't destroyed, the radiation from said supernova would make the whole planet uninhabitable.

Maybe (and I’m spitballing here) their system is a multiple-star system (a trinary or even quadruple sun system?) so that the star that went nova was small and distant enough to not destroy the planet...?   

Otherwise I got nothin’...:P

5 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Maybe (and I’m spitballing here) their system is a multiple-star system (a trinary or even quadruple sun system?) so that the star that went nova was small and distant enough to not destroy the planet...?   

Otherwise I got nothin’...:P

That star would have to be DOZENS of light years away not to have lethal effects on the Bynar Homeworld. Furthermore, does their link to their central computer have limits? I would have to think it does. Wouldn't they have other computers elsewhere they could link to in case of a travesty like this instead of relying on putting their eggs in one basket?

2 hours ago, Rusty0918 said:

That star would have to be DOZENS of light years away not to have lethal effects on the Bynar Homeworld. Furthermore, does their link to their central computer have limits? I would have to think it does. Wouldn't they have other computers elsewhere they could link to in case of a travesty like this instead of relying on putting their eggs in one basket?

It depends on Bynar’s orbit, and the relative size of the star as well.  Maybe the sun that flared was a small, barely visible brown dwarf star orbiting the main star; or at the edge of their system (maybe somewhere in their Oort cloud?).   Maybe that tiny, relatively cold sun had a ‘gas attack’ and belched some serious gamma or x-rays (ate a really spicy planet...). 

Since exoplanets were first charted, it seems they have far wilder orbits (and proximities to their suns) than we ever used to guess at in our wildest imaginings.  Who knows what the Bynar’s home system actually looks like; we only saw their planet and what appeared to be a sun.  

Or the simpler explanation: maybe they (writers or Bynars) simply misused the word ‘nova’ and meant another type of extreme solar event (?).

And yes, that was somewhat poor planning for such of advanced race to have only ONE on-world computer like that; maybe a backup drive on another planet/moon elsewhere?  Or are they capable of space travel?   Wonder.

LSTIW: 

VGR:  “Non-Sequitur” and “Twisted.” 

1 minute ago, Sehlat Vie said:

It depends on Bynar’s orbit, and the relative size of the star as well.  Maybe the sun that flared was a small, barely visible brown dwarf star orbiting the main star; or at the edge of their system (maybe somewhere in their Oort cloud?).   Maybe that tiny, relatively cold sun had a ‘gas attack’ and belched some serious gamma or x-rays (ate a really spicy planet...). 

Since exoplanets were first charted, it seems they have far wilder orbits (and proximities to their suns) than we ever used to guess at in our wildest imaginings.  Who knows what the Bynar’s home system actually looks like; we only saw their planet and what appeared to be a sun.  

Or the simpler explanation: maybe they (writers or Bynars) simply misused the word ‘nova’ and meant another type of extreme solar event (?).

And yes, that was somewhat poor planning for such of advanced race to have only ONE on-world computer like that; maybe a backup drive on another planet/moon elsewhere?  Or are they capable of space travel?   Wonder.

According to Minuet (who was programmed by the Bynars said) - "A star in the Bynar system went supernova and they miscalculated." That suggested it was an in-system star. If any star went supernova in an inhabited star system, it most likely would wipe out the planets orbiting them - to say nothing about the state of their computer. Of course you could always dismiss it as they were hasty in programming Minuet so that it came off like that. Besides, if it did go supernova, wouldn't the long-range sensors of the Federation detect such?

Well, it is possible that Bynas may have been a very recent addition to the UFP by the time of the episode, which would explain them "putting all their eggs in one basket." In future, they probably would have backup systems.

15 minutes ago, C.Lovett said:

The last episode I watched this morning on BBCA was "Arena", god it's so cheesy but it's so good!

"Arena" was an amazing TOS episode, in my opinion, one of the best ones. Yes the makeup may be laughably bad compared to the standards of stuff these days, but it definitely surpasses a lot of the modern stuff because it makes you think.

15 hours ago, Rusty0918 said:

According to Minuet (who was programmed by the Bynars said) - "A star in the Bynar system went supernova and they miscalculated." That suggested it was an in-system star. If any star went supernova in an inhabited star system, it most likely would wipe out the planets orbiting them - to say nothing about the state of their computer. Of course you could always dismiss it as they were hasty in programming Minuet so that it came off like that. Besides, if it did go supernova, wouldn't the long-range sensors of the Federation detect such?

The fact that she said ‘a star’ (instead of ‘the star’) suggests that the Bynar system is a multiple star system.  

And it still doesn’t negate the possibility of the problematic star being within the outer periphery of the system (or of it being a possible ‘cooler’ brown dwarf).  

And yes, the Bynar system would be flooded in x and gamma-rays; but... if the offending star were cool, small and far enough within the outer periphery of the system?  It’s not inconceivable that a ‘supernova’ might not destroy the planet (I still say they misspoke & meant to say 'solar event,' but oh well).

One must also remember there aren’t exacting boundaries for multiple star systems yet, just as we’re still hashing out what exactly defines a planet.  

Maybe the offending Bynar supernova was just outside the system (far enough away not to destroy Bynus but still close enough to flood it with cosmic rays) and the Bynars simply claimed it as theirs; much as certain islands are commonwealths of larger nations. 

Anyway, I gotta stop myself; I’m getting too nerd-picky here.   But this IS a potentially fascinating topic to pick up either in a new thread or in the episode’s thread.

LSTIW:

VGR, S2’s “Projections.”   I had entirely forgotten this episode, and that Lt. Barclay made his first appearance on VGR waaaaay back in S2. 

Just watched Future's End. Very enjoyable. I'd agree that Voyager did mostly great two-parters (except maybe for Endgame, if that counts).

5 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

Just watched Future's End. Very enjoyable. I'd agree that Voyager did mostly great two-parters (except maybe for Endgame, if that counts).

I really enjoy this one.

The last time I visited Venice beach’s boardwalk, I was tempted to do a “Future’s End/Torchwood” tour...:giggle:

kenman   

Fun that this thread can now feature things like this, but I last Trek I watched was the first two episodes of the brand new show! 

DSC, "Vulcan Hello" and "Battle at the Binary Stars."  

Watched them again this morning while cooking...wow.  They still hold up.  On a TV or an iPad, DSC works.

Dillkid   

I'm rewatching Enterprise, for the first time since 2010. I'm up to early Season 2, and am really enjoying the Captain Archer and Trip characters. Phlox is decent as well. However the rest of the characters I am finding very dull and unintersting. Reed in particular is very depressing, any time something goes wrong he tries killing himself.

There have been a few good episodes (the Daniels stories I find the most intersting) and a few terrible ones as well (The Ferengi episode and the one about Freighters). With that being said I remember the last season being good so that's something to look forward to.

Edited by Dillkid

Journey to Babel - I wanted to see how Sarek matched up with his portrayal in Discovery. Not that well, it turns out, although I really liked James Frain's portrayal of same in the newest Trek. I'm not really sure how Sarek, pretty anti-Starfleet at the beginning of Journey, is the same guy who willingly delivers his adoptive daughter to them in Discovery. Unless... he's bitter about something happening to Burnham? Uh-oh... (bitterness is illogical, though...) 

On 9/27/2017 at 6:41 AM, Dillkid said:

I'm rewatching Enterprise, for the first time since 2010. I'm up to early Season 2, and am really enjoying the Captain Archer and Trip characters. Phlox is decent as well. However the rest of the characters I am finding very dull and unintersting. Reed in particular is very depressing, any time something goes wrong he tries killing himself.

There have been a few good episodes (the Daniels stories I find the most intersting) and a few terrible ones as well (The Ferengi episode and the one about Freighters). With that being said I remember the last season being good so that's something to look forward to.

I think it really improves around the end of season 2. And season 3, shorn of its currency with events when it was originally shown and taken on its terms, makes a lot more sense - there's some good stuff in there. And with Season 4, it really hits its stride. 

Corylea   
2 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

Journey to Babel - I wanted to see how Sarek matched up with his portrayal in Discovery. Not that well, it turns out, although I really liked James Frain's portrayal of same in the newest Trek. I'm not really sure how Sarek, pretty anti-Starfleet at the beginning of Journey, is the same guy who willingly delivers his adoptive daughter to them in Discovery. Unless... he's bitter about something happening to Burnham? Uh-oh... (bitterness is illogical, though...)

I madly adore "Journey to Babel." :inlove:  I'm amazed that Dorothy Fontana managed to pack so much into the episode, without making it confusing or rushed.  How did you DO all of that, Dorothy Catherine?  And when you were all of 28 at the time? :thumbup:

Spock's parents.  The remaining two founding members of the Federation.  Lots of other Federation members in the background.  A murder mystery.  Spock being all self-sacrificing and noble.  Kirk being all self-sacrificing and noble.  Kirk being a tactical genius again.  McCoy getting to be an actual physician for a change, instead of just reminding us that he's one.  Spock reconciling with his father.  (And sehlats! ;))

Did I mention that I totally adore this episode?  I could probably watch it every day and not get tired of it, but I try to limit myself to once a year or so, just to make sure I don't wear it out completely. :)

It's true that it'll be interesting to see if something happens that makes Sarek bitter, but Spock's already IN Starfleet at the time of Discovery and has been in it for a few years now.  So Sarek has already disowned Spock for joining Starfleet, even while he's approving of Burnham's service there.

*checks self*  Yep, I'm still carrying a grudge against Sarek for the way he treats Spock in this episode.  My loyalty is hard to shake. :laugh:

On 10/16/2017 at 0:13 PM, Corylea said:

I madly adore "Journey to Babel." :inlove:  I'm amazed that Dorothy Fontana managed to pack so much into the episode, without making it confusing or rushed.  How did you DO all of that, Dorothy Catherine?  And when you were all of 28 at the time? :thumbup:

Spock's parents.  The remaining two founding members of the Federation.  Lots of other Federation members in the background.  A murder mystery.  Spock being all self-sacrificing and noble.  Kirk being all self-sacrificing and noble.  Kirk being a tactical genius again.  McCoy getting to be an actual physician for a change, instead of just reminding us that he's one.  Spock reconciling with his father.  (And sehlats! ;))

Did I mention that I totally adore this episode?  I could probably watch it every day and not get tired of it, but I try to limit myself to once a year or so, just to make sure I don't wear it out completely. :)

It's true that it'll be interesting to see if something happens that makes Sarek bitter, but Spock's already IN Starfleet at the time of Discovery and has been in it for a few years now.  So Sarek has already disowned Spock for joining Starfleet, even while he's approving of Burnham's service there.

*checks self*  Yep, I'm still carrying a grudge against Sarek for the way he treats Spock in this episode.  My loyalty is hard to shake. :laugh:

It's one of my faves, too. It's one of the original "bottle shows," set completely on the Enterprise and you never really notice because it's so full of great character stuff. And fights with Andorians, in case anyone's getting bored. No, I agree, it's just a beautiful, tight script just brimming over with ideas and developments and it's all superbly paced.

And yeah, Sehlats! :biggrin:

And yeah, Spock's got to already be in Starfleet when Discovery takes place. Either April or Pike are in command of the Enterprise, and Spock is either already aboard or will be soon. So how come Sarek's so supportive of Michael and not Spock? It doesn't really match up. Unless there's something we'll be told later down the line...

22 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Discovery, 1.5, “Choose Your Pain.” 

Now, there's a coincidence. Me too!

(Isn't it nice having new trek on TV?) :)

Corylea   
55 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

And yeah, Spock's got to already be in Starfleet when Discovery takes place. Either April or Pike are in command of the Enterprise, and Spock is either already aboard or will be soon. So how come Sarek's so supportive of Michael and not Spock? It doesn't really match up. Unless there's something we'll be told later down the line...

Pike is in command of the Enterprise, and Spock is already on board it with him.  During "The Menagerie," in the first season of TOS, Spock narrates the events shown in the previous visit to Talos IV and says that they took place "13 years ago."  If those events took place thirteen years before Season 1 of TOS, then they should have happened roughly three years before Discovery.  So Spock is already the science officer of the Enterprise and has already been to Talos IV, even.  :)

1 hour ago, Robin Bland said:

It's one of my faves, too. It's one of the original "bottle shows," set completely on the Enterprise and you never really notice because it's so full of great character stuff. And fights with Andorians, in case anyone's getting bored. No, I agree, it's just a beautiful, tight script just brimming over with ideas and developments and it's all superbly paced.

And yeah, Sehlats! :biggrin:

Yes, my kinda people. 

And I agree with you and Corylea; "Journey to Babel" is my all-time favorite TOS episode.   

1 hour ago, Robin Bland said:

Now, there's a coincidence. Me too!

(Isn't it nice having new trek on TV?) :)

tenor.gif

2 hours ago, Corylea said:

Pike is in command of the Enterprise, and Spock is already on board it with him.  During "The Menagerie," in the first season of TOS, Spock narrates the events shown in the previous visit to Talos IV and says that they took place "13 years ago."  If those events took place thirteen years before Season 1 of TOS, then they should have happened roughly three years before Discovery.  So Spock is already the science officer of the Enterprise and has already been to Talos IV, even.  :)

Right! I knew it took place about ten years before S1 of TOS; misremembered the 13 years dating. So Spock's out of the academy and exploring the final frontier with Pike! Which still leaves the mystery of Sarek's different attitudes to Starfleet and his two (known) children. (How many others did he have that we don't yet know about?)

Just watched the latest ST Continues, “To Boldly Go, Part 1”.

Wow... just wow!

tumblr_mzk6x4jXGT1r23cz6o1_r1_400.gif

I’m soooo going to miss this series when it finishes next month. 

Corylea   
12 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Right! I knew it took place about ten years before S1 of TOS; misremembered the 13 years dating.

Most people remember the "11 years, 4 months, 5 days" that Spock says he served with Pike but forget about the Talos IV adventure happening 13 years ago.  Since I've only watched a little bit of non-TOS Trek, I don't have as many details to remember as the rest of you. :)

14 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

So Spock's out of the academy and exploring the final frontier with Pike!

I would have been happy to have gotten a whole series about THAT.  But only with Mr. Nimoy, so only in our dreams. :inlove:

15 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Which still leaves the mystery of Sarek's different attitudes to Starfleet and his two (known) children.

Yeah.  I wonder if we're just going to have to overlook the inconsistency, or if it will all be explained somehow.  I hope they don't claim that Spock did something awful or otherwise mess with what we already know.

16 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

(How many others did he have that we don't yet know about?)

No, no -- bite your tongue!  TWO additional children is already one too many (and I don't mean Burnham. :P)

12 minutes ago, Corylea said:

Most people remember the "11 years, 4 months, 5 days" that Spock says he served with Pike but forget about the Talos IV adventure happening 13 years ago.  Since I've only watched a little bit of non-TOS Trek, I don't have as many details to remember as the rest of you. :)

I would have been happy to have gotten a whole series about THAT.  But only with Mr. Nimoy, so only in our dreams. :inlove:

Yup - me too!

Yeah.  I wonder if we're just going to have to overlook the inconsistency, or if it will all be explained somehow.  I hope they don't claim that Spock did something awful or otherwise mess with what we already know.

I'm really hoping they address it. I actually really like James Frain's take on Sarek, so I'm surmising there's more to this set-up than we yet know.

No, no -- bite your tongue!  TWO additional children is already one too many (and I don't mean Burnham. :P)

Let's not talk about Sybok...!

kenman   

I've been keeping up with Discovery, so the latest Trek I've watched has been the new episodes.  I also just watched the donor preview for Star Trek Continues episode 10, "To Boldly GO, Part I" which is the first half of their two part finale of their run...and their own take on how the Five Year Mission wrapped up.  I won't say anything yet...but I like the start of the story and can't wait to see how it all wraps up in a month! They do an exceptional job of recapturing TOS...in every way!