Sam

What was the last Star Trek episode you watched?

10,535 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Voyager: Endgame, the final episode. For some reason I decided to rewatch a Voyager - not something I get a yen to do very often, and I decided to watch the final episode. I hadn't seen it since original transmission (whereas, I confess, I've watched the final episodes of TNG, DS9 and even the awful last ep of ENT many times). Sadly, I feel like my original assessment all those years ago on original broadcast was exactly right - it's all quite humdrum. The Borg, at this point were so emasculated they could've been almost any generic enemy and you never get a sense that the odds are really stacked against Voyager. It's just not as epic as it should be, nor satisfying in terms of character stuff. When they arrive home, the episode just sort of cuts off - there's no epilogue, no fanfare. Maybe they thought the beginning sequence with the fireworks and the alt-timeline of Voyager flying past the Golden Gate Bridge was enough. All told, it's a very average episode and a pretty poor finale. 

Edited by Robin Bland

13 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

Voyager: Endgame, the final episode. For some reason I decided to rewatch a Voyager - not something I get a yen to do very often, and I decided to watch the final episode. I hadn't seen it since original transmission (whereas, I confess, I've watched the final episodes of TNG, DS9 and even the awful last ep of ENT many times). Sadly, I feel like my original assessment all those years ago on original broadcast was exactly right - it's all quite humdrum. The Borg, at this point were so emasculated they could've been almost any generic enemy and you never get a sense that the odds are really stacked against Voyager. It's just not as epic as it should be, nor satisfying in terms of character stuff. When they arrive home, the episode just sort of cuts off - there's no epilogue, no fanfare. Maybe they thought the beginning sequence with the fireworks and the alt-timeline of Voyager flying past the Golden Gate Bridge was enough. All told, it's a very average episode and a pretty poor finale. 

I re-watched that one about a year (or less?) ago.   Felt the same.

LSTIW:

onceuponaplanet_4.JPGmagicks5.png

Been getting back into TAS.  Watched “Once Upon a Planet” (the Westworld-ish sequel to “Shore Leave”) and “The Magicks of Megas-Tu” (very ‘70s; there was a lot of supernatural/occult stuff in those days... even Dr Who had the “Daemons”).   Currently watching “Mudd’s Passion.”  I normally loathe Harry Mudd, but this was a decent use of the character, just to see his love potion work on Spock and Nurse Chapel... a total fan service moment! :laugh:

2009-08-24_Mudds_Passion.jpg

^ Seriously... the networks really thought this was a cartoon for KIDS!  :giggle:

I know I’m in the minority on this, but I consider TAS pretty much canon.   Even the sillier episodes (“Infinite Vulcan” “Practical Joker” “Bem” etc) are really no worse than the canonical space hippies of TOS' “Way To Eden” or the demon-in-a-shower-curtain-played-by-a-lawyer in “And the Children Shall Lead.” 

TNG's "The Vengeance Factor"

Kind of an unsung hero episode for me. It's nicely-paced, Lisa Wilcox gives a surprisingly nuanced performance, and one of the bits that sets it apart for me is that not only do you see Picard play mediator realistically and well, we see two sides that aren't so diametrically opposed that it actually takes Yuta dying or something else catastrophic for one side to see the light. There probably would be peace without that.

My only real hit for this episode is that the only reason Yuta dies or has to is because Riker needs to be extra sullen at the end.

8 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I re-watched that one about a year (or less?) ago.   Felt the same.

it went out "not with a bang, but a whimper."

8 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I know I’m in the minority on this, but I consider TAS pretty much canon.   Even the sillier episodes (“Infinite Vulcan” “Practical Joker” “Bem” etc) are really no worse than the canonical space hippies of TOS' “Way To Eden” or the demon-in-a-shower-curtain-played-by-a-lawyer in “And the Children Shall Lead.” 

It's totally canon to me, too. I'm going to go and watch some more to wash myself clean of that cruddy "after-VOY" feeling.

12 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

it went out "not with a bang, but a whimper."

It's totally canon to me, too. I'm going to go and watch some more to wash myself clean of that cruddy "after-VOY" feeling.

It helps. :laugh:

LSTIW: 

TAS (of course) "Terratin Incident"; which was really not all that different in concept from DS9's "One Little Ship." 

I watched TNG's "Genesis" earlier today. And I'm soooo looking forward to the next episode on my list: "MASKS". One of my top 5 TNG episodes. *squeals* (I swear I'll get myself a TEAM KORGANO t-shirt at some point)

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

I watched TNG's "Genesis" earlier today. And I'm soooo looking forward to the next episode on my list: "MASKS". One of my top 5 TNG episodes. *squeals* (I swear I'll get myself a TEAM KORGANO t-shirt at some point)

Did we discuss this episode before? I remember I found myself pretty much alone when I said I like "Masks"! :laugh:

Edited by Sim

1 hour ago, Mr.Picard said:

Ah, "Genesis"...yet another episode that showcases Beverly Crusher's 'talents' as a physician.  :giggle:

2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Ah, "Genesis"...yet another episode that showcases Beverly Crusher's 'talents' as a physician.  :giggle:

I like "Genesis" because I like the devolution idea. It plays well on screen and I always sort of like any episode from "Doomsday Machine" to "Disaster" that trashes that otherwise nice, pristine ship.

But, yes. This marks another instance of Crusher's incompetence. I really think that things like this and performing autopsies on people for no reason she can point to beyond suspicion and "The High Ground" where it's her arrogance as much as anything else that puts Picard seconds from shot. Or makes her perfectly willing to lock Worf in sickbay for months or years or life until he thinks as she wants, that makes her wholly unfit for starship duty. 

There are lots and lots of episodes where Crusher messes up and/or pushes her questionable medical ethics on her patients... but "Genesis" has one big advantage over the others: She isn't there most of the time, which means I can just sit back and enjoy the episode. :laugh: