Sam

What was the last Star Trek episode you watched?

10,537 posts in this topic

DS9, S7: the last few episodes (titles escape me).   I just think of S7 as one big epic episode, anyway. :thumbup:

Watched TNG "Night Terrors". Somehow, I love this episode. When I first saw it, I found it actually creepy.

I watched TNG's "The Enemy" yesterday.

I watched TNG's "The Enemy" yesterday.

Love that one!  

I like to think of it and "The Defector" as sort of a Romulan double feature.   Picard not pushing Worf into donating blood was unexpected when I first saw it; it also demonstrates that this is a captain who TRULY respects each and every member of his crew's values and beliefs, no matter how contrary they are to his.  

We could use a few more Picards in our world today... :)

I watched the movie nemesis couple nights ago.

ST09. I like this movie more every time I rewatch it. My original disappointment seems to fade and I can enjoy it for what it is, rather than missing things that I originally looked for and that weren't there. The lens flare is a lot easier to handle on a 50 in TV than on a movie screen too.

I watched TNG's "The Outrageous Okona" yesterday.

ST09. I like this movie more every time I rewatch it. My original disappointment seems to fade and I can enjoy it for what it is, rather than missing things that I originally looked for and that weren't there. The lens flare is a lot easier to handle on a 50 in TV than on a movie screen too.

I enjoyed the heck out of it the first time, found more flaws in it in further rewatches...but I think I've come to a middle ground with it.  It is a fine action adventure movie, with a big emphasis on the origin of the characters (not really the characters I love so much as these new iterations of them), and it looks pretty.  I can enjoy it on the superficial levels, but storywise it doesn't do too much for me.  But it is a perfect movie for testing out entertainment systems. When I got my surround sound?  Pop in Trek 09! Bought an outdoor projector...pop in Trek 09!  Beyond may very well take it's place as my test subject though, as I really did love that sequel, which went pretty much where I wanted them to take the series after 2009.  

As to which Trek I last watched, I recently popped on the 25th Anniversary Special...because every now and then I like to relive the very thing that got me into Trek. 

Ah, the one nearly all of us love to hate. :lol: To think they considered casting the guy who played Okona as Riker! *shudder*

Ah, the one nearly all of us love to hate. :lol: To think they considered casting the guy who played Okona as Riker! *shudder*

In fairness, Campbell has done much better since.  But yeah, he kinda stunk up the room in "The Outrageous Okona" (Joe Piscopo as 'the comic' didn't help, either...).

Not episodes per se, but more behind the scenes stuff. Got Enterprise blu-rays from the library purely to watch the new documentaries, because I had heard they were fairly candid about the show.  I've watched almost all but the third season (still need to pick it up from the library), and I think there is some insightful stuff throughout.  Unlike the TNG docs, which by season 5 became a tad less interesting because there wasn't much behind the scenes struggles and they had pretty much found their way, the Enterprise docs seem to be captivating throughout...because Braga is very candid about his own struggles with the show, in terms of finding it's voice and finding writers to help shape that voice.  For instance, I had no idea he hired such a big writing staff in the first season, and ended up firing almost all of them going into season 2.  I had long assumed the problem was purely that the same people behind Voyager were now writing Enterprise and were making the same stories with a different face...but it seems like it was so much more than that. 

Braga and and Berman both had a vastly different idea for what the prequel should be...not really from each other but from the studio. And it just seems like the compromised a lot of what they wanted to do because of studio and timing pressures. Now it also seems to be, from other writers, that while Berman and Braga really did want some new and different, when it came to scripts from other writers, they were still sort of stuck in giving the same kind of notes they would've given on Voyager. Berman and Braga aren't blameless for some of the issues that plague those first two seasons, but these docs really shed a new light on the struggles of Season 1 and 2.  Braga still has pride on the show, but it is clear that some time away has given him a bit of hindsight, and he can see was overworked and maybe not the right guy for the show. 

A really great feature on the season 1 set is a conversation with Berman and Braga in which they discuss the whole show, and I do think they had their heart in the right place even if it never truly gelled under their watch...and their occasional jokes about how great Manny Coto episodes were (knowing jabs at how the internet constantly says that the show they created sucked until Coto took over) kept me laughing. They come off really well in the feature, not as these evil guys who destroyed Trek, but as just two guys who tried hard but just never got the show they wanted, or that the fans wanted...even though they still have a fondness for it.  (it should be noted I have never blamed Berman for Trek ending, because I give Berman full credit for keeping Trek alive for an additional 14 years following the death of Gene Roddenberry, and was one of the co-creators of my favorite Trek series DS9). 

Anyhow, I look forward to getting to watch the Season 3 feature, as the Xindi Arc is something I am interested to get more info on.  I think that season had a good premise, started off strong, but unfortunately began to meander aimlessly for a while, just as seasons 1 and 2 had, before finding an only mildly decent conclusion. 

Since I got the Enterprise Season 3 set and watched it's docs, I have some more thoughts:  I am still not entirely convinced the Xindi arc totally worked, but I like the place it was coming from. It just fell short, made a few wrong turns (I don't like some elements about the ends justifying the means, but I do think they tried to end it on a much higher moral standard), and the season did drag in the middle. I also have never felt that the Xindi as a concept totally worked out.  Fish Xindi and Bug Xindi and Monkey Xindi!  I get the idea...but I think it just never gelled.

I've always felt that Season 3 should've been the Romulan War.  Attack Earth, and suddenly the Enterprise must do battle with this mysterious unknown enemy...but as the war progresses Earth develops stronger alliances with the Andorians, Tellarites, and Vulcans...laying that basic foundation for the Federation. Even basic elements of the Xindi arc could've remained...you could still show the secret meetings of the enemy plotting against Earth, but instead of it being cartoon bugs and stuff...it is just some sneaky Romulans, who never meet face to face with Archer and co.

Another nice moment in the third season doc, Braga does fully say he doesn't want it to come across that he is blaming the studios for Enterprise's failures...he knows he bares some responsibility for its shortcomings and he makes it clear that even if the studio allowed him to do what he initially wanted, it is entirely possible that might've failed to.  I think he comes across very honest about the show in these docs, and I have a real respect for him because of that. He doesn't bash the show and he doesn't defend it where it is indefensible...and if anything these docs made me appreciate Enterprise on the whole a little more, and gain a lot of respect for Braga. He owns up to mistakes he and the show made, but still holds pride for it's legit wins. It was the only show he co-created, and so it was his baby. It is probably no fun to have your baby be bashed so mercilessly so often, even if you know you might not have succeeded with it the way you really wanted to. 

the last episode was night the 1st episode of voyager's 5th season.

TNG, "Silicon Avatar" and "A Matter of Time." 

I'm just finishing Shore Leave right now.... it's on netflix and it started on it's own after Balance of Terror.  Fun episode... I was going to turn it off, but my six year old son has been sucked into it more than any other up to this point.  He's enthralled in the mystery of the planet, something kind of lost on me after 30+ years.  Great fun seeing this through new eyes.

TNG - Birthright Parts I&II.

STID. This one improved a lot on second viewing.

Just finished watching TNG's "The Wounded".

I've been watching Ron Moore's Battlestar Galactica lately (a complete rewatch of the series), and I've come to the near end of S3.  It's a wonderful show, but I think I need an 'optimism break'; I'm going to pop in some TNG.

I think some good old remastered S2 sounds nice today.    I'm in the mood for something surreal; I'm thinking either "The Royale" or "Where Silence Has Lease." 

I've been watching Ron Moore's Battlestar Galactica lately (a complete rewatch of the series), and I've come to the near end of S3.  It's a wonderful show, but I think I need an 'optimism break'; I'm going to pop in some TNG.

I think some good old remastered S2 sounds nice today.    I'm in the mood for something surreal; I'm thinking either "The Royale" or "Where Silence Has Lease." 

You know which one of these episode I'd recommend, don't you? ;) THE ROYAAALLLLLEEEEE

You know which one of these episode I'd recommend, don't you? ;) THE ROYAAALLLLLEEEEE

I'm partial to either, but yeah, "The Royale" sounds good right about now... ;)

TNG, "Timescape," directed by Adam Nimoy.

timescape212.jpg

I really enjoy this one.   Solid, almost generic TNG adventure; but well told.    This episode is TNG 'comfort food' for me.

Went on a S1 binge the other day, saw "The Last Outpost" (oh man... those early Ferengi...oh no, no, no).  

Loved Tasha Yar ("Watch it, shorty!") and Worf's sotto voce delivery of his line ("Immobilized by the damn Ferengi?").   Picard's brief flash of French nationalism was so uncharacteristic that it felt wonderfully, typically S1 weird (this was the same Frenchman who couldn't wait to leave his village and its traditions behind...).  I also liked his one-word FU response to Beverly's misplaced allegation of chauvinism ("Rubbish!"--- that was great!).  

I also got a nice chuckle at how the Ferengi just seem to bob up and down, flailing their arms/hands about, as they follow Riker and Portal; like excited apes during feeding time at the local zoo.   It's as though the director told them, "Well, don't just stand there boys... DO something.  Jump up and down, I don't care."  :P 

thelastoutpost_hd_448.jpg

Overall, "Last Outpost" is silly, typically S1 fun.  

Next I enjoyed "Where No One Has Gone Before."  

This one is much more solid overall; with a genuine science fiction premise at its core (the notion of spacetime and thought being related is very interesting, and begged for further exploration).   The Traveler does come off as a bit creepy sometimes (as Wil Wheaton once joked on his blog, he chats with Wesley, "offers him candy, and drives him away in his windowless van..." :laugh: ), and I can see why Eric Menyuk was a contender for the role of Data; there is an intriguing 'non-human' quality about him.   And the late Stanley Kamel (whom I used to love as "Monk"'s therapist) gives the role of 'Mr. Kosinski' his all; he throws everything but the kitchen sink into his performance.   It's one of the more memorable season one guest performances (love how he just casually pushes Riker out of his way like a department store mannequin... ouch!  :giggle:).    

wherenoone_hd_061.jpg

There's also plenty of S1 'oddness' and wonderfully random experimentation (the would-be classical violinist crewman jamming to Mozart, Worf's pet targ, the ballerina crewman in the cargo bay, etc.).   Picard's scene with his mother was lovely as well; great casting with "Cocoon" actress Herta Ware).    WNOHGB is a true S1 success.   It's biggest flaw (IMO) is that it's a bit too talky in it's middle act, but otherwise?   A solid science fiction story.

Next came "Lonely Among Us."
Okay, it was really hard for me to believe that this was written by former TOS genius Dorothy Fontana; who was either heavily rewritten (my suspicion) or she just didn't have a handle on TNG's characters (unlikely).   In fact, it's so inept that I just watch (and enjoy) it as comedy; it's like a parody of a Star Trek episode, and (surprisingly) it truly SUCCEEDS on this level.   From main characters acting extremely odd and NO ONE bothering to report it (not even the usually observant Wesley, when his mother suddenly talks about needing to learn more about helm control...?), a qualified ship's counselor resorting to the wildly unreliable therapeutical technique of hypnosis (!) to learn the truth about Beverly & Worf's memory lapses (where are TOS' psycho-tricorders from a century ago?).    Hypnosis as testimony has been largely debunked in OUR time, let alone 300 years from now.  Then again, Gene Roddenberry also believed in other 'New Age'-ish things, so there's that.    Oh well.   To each their own, I suppose...:)

But what I found inexplicably weird was Beverly suddenly finding herself on the bridge with NO explanation, and not bothering to find out why??   I mean, if I found myself halfway up the street one night and I couldn't remember how I got there?  I'd be on the phone to my doctor's office ASAP.   I wouldn't trust myself to drive my car, let alone work as a doctor (!).   And she is the chief medical officer, for goodness' sake!  Beverly comes off as wildly incompetent, before and after the possession. 

lonelyamongus_hd_132.jpg

Picard: "Are YOU alright, Doctor?"
Crusher: "What?  Oh yeah... I was just having an out-of-body experience as I suffered a temporary lapse of consciousness.   Fit as a fiddle."

Moving on...

It's also never explained nor really understood just how Picard's energy essence retained consciousness; isn't this impossible when one is in the matter stream?  Let alone being able to 'enter' the ship's circuitry.   If I were reduced to an electric current, I'm not sure I'd know how to flip a light switch on or off, let alone write my initials, but hey... he's Jean-Luc Picard.  He's awesome.   So there! :P 

Also wondered if that idea helped inspire the 'Christmas lights scenes' in Netflix's wonderful series, "Stranger Things." 

Saving graces of the episode; Sir Patrick Stewart's acting during his possession moments.   It's amazing how just a slight deviation in his usual stern delivery and body language creates a very different character.   The Selay/Antican situation was hilarious, too.    From their hunting each other with Halloween glow sticks to their casual murdering of each other (!).  I love how Yar dashes into the transporter room at the end of the episode to breathlessly report that one of the Antican delegates appears to have murdered and cooked a member of the Selay delegation (!!).   Sweet baby Jeezus!   And Picard's utterly nonchalant and wildly out-of-character reaction had me nearly rolling on the floor... :laugh:

My advice: DO NOT take this episode seriously.   It's best enjoyed (and I did enjoy it) as a parody or at best, taken half-seriously (the same way I still enjoy all of my old "Space: 1999" DVDs).  :P

"Lonely Among Us" is one of my all time favorite TNG episodes. It's HILARIOUS. I'm so glad you're enjoying it, Sehlat. ;)

4 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

"Lonely Among Us" is one of my all time favorite TNG episodes. It's HILARIOUS. I'm so glad you're enjoying it, Sehlat. ;)

It's wildly entertaining...:laugh: