KMonline

What Star Trek book are you currently reading?

1,422 posts in this topic

Just bought (and have started reading) part two of Mark Altman's ST books; this one focusing on the making of ST from TNG to Star Trek Beyond.  The first book covered TOS, Phase II and the movies.

wzuKCwAAQBAJ?fife=w300

So far, 100 pages in, and this one as good as the other one (see: upthread).

Finished the "Corps of Engineers" e-novella #11, "Ambush" by Dave Galanter.

An unspectacular, but quick read. Nothing special, but entertaining enough for a little more than an hour.

Just bought (and have started reading) part two of Mark Altman's ST books; this one focusing on the making of ST from TNG to Star Trek Beyond.  The first book covered TOS, Phase II and the movies.

wzuKCwAAQBAJ?fife=w300

I'm gonna have to check this out!

wzuKCwAAQBAJ?fife=w300

I've read book one and it's well worth it. Chock full of factoids, a fair number of which I didn't know.

wzuKCwAAQBAJ?fife=w300

I've read book one and it's well worth it. Chock full of factoids, a fair number of which I didn't know.

^
The 2nd book is equally compelling; already halfway through it, and it's been very enlightening.  Some of the stories I've heard on TNG bonus features and in CFQ magazine's old issues, but much of it is brand new; and I love the first person accounts.  They really put me in that time and place. 

Just finished the TOS e-novella "Miasma" by Greg Cox.

A nice short read, reminiscent of "The Galileo Seven". Nothing spectacular, but makes for an entertaining hour.

Just got this at books a million today, really like this encounter with the Klingons in the kelvin universe!

Image result for star trek manifest destiny cover 1

Just finished the 1994 TOS novel "The Patrian Transgression" by Simon Hawke.

A decent, solid standalone story. But nothing special.

Debt of Honor by Chris Claremont.  One of my favorite stories.  Mystery, intrigue, a bit of romance and a whole lot of familiar characters.  The scenes with Kirk and T'Cel are electric, amazing chemistry!

ME

Finished the final novel of the trilogy "Star Trek: Prometheus", "Ins Herz des Chaos" (="Into the Heart of Chaos") by Bernd Perplies and Christian Humberg.

This trilogy by German authors is really pretty good! A very relevant story in times of islamist terrorism, anti-Muslim hatred, rise of right-wing populism and and refugee crisis... in the best Star Trek fashion, the authors comment in a clever way. Absolutely enjoyable.

An English translation will be available as e-books soon, by the way.

Finished the TNG e-novella "The Stuff of Dreams" by James Swallow. Nice, solid continuation of the Nexus idea from "Generations".

Finished the novel "Section 31: Disavowed" by David Mack.

A nice espionage story around Bashir and Sarina Williams in the parallel universe, a couple of good ideas (like the surprise the Dominion is "good" in the parallel universe)... but at times I feel there is too much emphasis on action. On the bottom line, an entertaining read but not overly memorable.

Currently working through "The Autobiography of James T. Kirk" - a very different take on Kirk, showing him to be more conflicted, less confident than he appears in the episodes.

Currently working through "The Autobiography of James T. Kirk" - a very different take on Kirk, showing him to be more conflicted, less confident than he appears in the episodes.

^
I liked it because it showed a more human side of Kirk.   

^
I liked it because it showed a more human side of Kirk.   

I've always liked the literary universe for that - Kirk is much more humanized since we can really see his inner monologue and see him deal with the conflict.  As good an actor as Shatner is, he still had to be the confident leading man and I don't think he had a chance to really show a lot of vulnerability.

I bought Section 31: Control which came out yesterday. It's a sequel to Section 31: Disavowed.

I've got two going right now.

Most of the TOS books I've read have been from the last 5 years or so, so while there seems to be a lull in them at the moment, I finally have time to go back to some of the older ones I've picked up.  So I'm starting with The Entropy Effect by Vonda McIntyre.  Halfway through right now and it's not bad.  Some of Kirk's characterization and mannerisms seem a bit off, but an entertaining read so far.  I definitely like it more than her Enterprise, which I didn't care for.

In the car I'm listening to The Fifty Year Mission Vol. 1.  Wow, is this book fantastic or what.  Absolutely riveting.  I was going to hold off on the second volume, as I'm less familiar with VOY and ENT, but I have a feeling I'm going to finish this and dive right into the next.

The Pandora Principle.  I haven't read this one in 25 years, at least, and I forgot how good it is.  A very smooth read.

ME

Posted (edited)

Jagd%20TNG-500x500.jpg

From the TNG relaunch: "Takedown" by John Jackson Miller (2015).

Was a pretty good read! And a somewhat standalone story. Was great to read a TNG novel again... especially since it's with both Picard and Riker, despite its relaunch continuity. :)

Edited by Sim

Posted (edited)

519vDrtzxGL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Just finished "Protectors" (2014) by Kirsten Beyer, from the VOY relaunch.

It felt a bit slow at times, but was generally enjoyable, IMO. Guess some moderate shortening could make this a really good novel. This "Confederation of the First World" sounds interesting... nice to finally meet an alien alliance that's at least somewhat similar to the Federation. IIRC, that rather obvious idea was strangely never really explored before, at least not as thoroughly as it deserves. So I'm looking forward to the continuation!

On 10.4.2017 at 3:53 AM, CaptPapa said:

The Pandora Principle.  I haven't read this one in 25 years, at least, and I forgot how good it is.  A very smooth read.

ME

I read that one 1995, and remember loving it back then!  :)

On 7.4.2017 at 0:44 AM, JLook84 said:

Most of the TOS books I've read have been from the last 5 years or so, so while there seems to be a lull in them at the moment, I finally have time to go back to some of the older ones I've picked up.  So I'm starting with The Entropy Effect by Vonda McIntyre.  Halfway through right now and it's not bad.  Some of Kirk's characterization and mannerisms seem a bit off, but an entertaining read so far.  I definitely like it more than her Enterprise, which I didn't care for.

I read this one after Christmas 1993, and loved it ... at least its second half and conclusion, the first half was a bit slow at times, IIRC. :thumbup: But it was one of the first ST novels I couldn't stop reading towards the end, because the conclusion was to thrilling...

Edited by Sim

While not technically a ST book, I'm reading ST makeup legend (and Oscar winner) Michael Westmore's book "Makeup Man" which discusses not only his time on ST (18 years!) but also the incredible Westmore show business/makeup dynasty that he was born into (going back to the turn of the LAST century, in the earliest days of moviemaking).   I've met Westmore a couple of times at the IMATS makeup show, and he's such a nice, accessible man that it's hard to believe he comes from such a revered line.  He's seen/known/worked with legends.  

I've just starting digging into the book, and I'm amazed at both his career and the collective careers of his family lineage.  As a kid, I remember seeing the names Bud and Wally Westmore on many movie/TV credits, but that's the tip of the iceberg. Amazing stuff, and amazing stories, but all told in Michael Westmore's everyday, humble manner.   GREAT book.

Well worth a look for any ST fan who's curious about the behind-the-scenes stuff, as I am.