KMonline

What Star Trek book are you currently reading?

I am reading (again) the 1996 book INSIDE STAR TREK THE REAL STORY by Herb Solow and Robert Justman. One of the best behind the scenes hardcover books on the making of the original series, from THE CAGE to THE ANIMATED SERIES. Great insight, plus lots of rare photos of Bill Shatner, Leonard Nimoy and the TOS cast, and sketches and rare artwork. Highly recommended.

13178670_10209422794345990_7625209559401

13102781_10209422794746000_2582762423155

Odd. Its the 50th anniversary and I didnt find a novel that interested me. I am waiting for IDW's THE LEGACY OF SPOCK comic book colllection mini series and that was it.

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

I am reading (again) the 1996 book INSIDE STAR TREK THE REAL STORY by Herb Solow and Robert Justman. One of the best behind the scenes hardcover books on the making of the original series, from THE CAGE to THE ANIMATED SERIES. Great insight, plus lots of rare photos of Bill Shatner, Leonard Nimoy and the TOS cast, and sketches and rare artwork. Highly recommended.

13178670_10209422794345990_7625209559401

13102781_10209422794746000_2582762423155

Odd. Its the 50th anniversary and I didnt find a novel that interested me. I am waiting for iDW's THE LEGACY OF SPOItCK comic book mini series and that was it.

Gus

That's a great book. It feels a bit like Solow and Justman trying to put their slant on things after Roddenberry took possession and sole ownership of "creator" of Star Trek, so you can feel them attempting to balance that out. Someone needed to, I think. But they're basically fair and even-handed and there's all sorts of production detail and offbeat stories you don't get in other "Making ofs." I think it's fair to call Gene "originator" of Trek and certainly the core ideas and philosophies spring from him.

But in production terms, after reading this (and various other making of Treks), you begin to see that there was so much other input from guys like these, and also Gene Coon, that arguably the term "creator" should really be shared. 

I have a copy of this book somewhere (in my garage or in storage) and I haven't read it in about 20 years, but I liked it.   It did seem to balance things out a bit; scraping away some of the overblown myths of Roddenberry's legacy and giving credit where it was due.

More Roddenberry stories can be found on WILLIAM SHATNER PRESENTS CHAOS ON THE BRIDGE documentary DVD - very candid interviews wth Maurice Hurley, Rick Berman and the TNG cast on their problems working with Gene Roddenebrry during the crisis of seasons 1 and 2 of  STAR TREK THE NEXT GENERATION. Again, highly recommended.

Here's the trailer of CHAOS ON THE BRIDGE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvNdCjc-3Ps

Gene was the creator of Star Trek universe and great part of its mythology, but damn, he was a difficult person to work with, even more so during TNG early years.

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

More Roddenberry stories can be found on WILLIAM SHATNER PRESENTS CHAOS ON THE BRIDGE documentary DVD - very candid interviews wth Maurice Hurley, Rick Berman and the TNG cast on their problems working with Gene Roddenebrry during the crisis of seasons 1 and 2 of  STAR TREK THE NEXT GENERATION. Again, highly recommended.

Here's the trailer of CHAOS ON THE BRIDGE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvNdCjc-3Ps

Gene was the creator of Star Trek universe and great part of its mythology, but damn, he was a difficult person to work with, even more so during TNG early years.

Gus

Yeah, we had a whole thread devoted to this one already.

It was a so-so documentary; lots of nasty little workplace gossip & drama, but Shatner's inexplicable use of a country soundtrack was just... stupid

Just finished the TNG relaunch novel "The Light Fantastic" by Jeffrey Lang.

It's about Data's quest -- aided by Geordi -- to get back his daughter Lal, who was kidnapped by Professor Moriarty.

I liked it. A story with so many references, both TNG and TOS, could have easily become cheesy, but I felt it did a good job of connecting all the elements in a convincing manner. Also interesting to see Data on a "rogue" mission. That was fun. :) And in the end, there is a hint at something new... I'm curious.

So, good book. But I still hope Data will return to the Enterprise eventually.

It's about Data's quest -- aided by Geordi -- to get back his daughter Lal, who was kidnapped by Professor Moriarty.

I liked it. A story with so many references, both TNG and TOS, could have easily become cheesy, but I felt it did a good job of connecting all the elements in a convincing manner. Also interesting to see Data on a "rogue" mission. That was fun. :) And in the end, there is a hint at something new... I'm curious.

Wait a second... isn't Moriarty in a holo-cube thing?  Did I miss something?  

Wait a second... isn't Moriarty in a holo-cube thing?  Did I miss something?  

Yes, he was. But the cube was damaged when the Ent-D crashed in GEN, and when the matrix was then transferred to the Daystrom Institute, again when Akharin/Flynn broke in (in the Jeffrey Lang novel "Immortal Coil"). Because of that, Moriarty learned that he wasn't really in the real world, and found ways to manipulate his holo environment. Until he could finally -- as a hologram -- build a kind of business empire and hire people to hijack Lal. To both blackmail Data for creating an android body for him, and get revenge for his imprisonment. ;)

Edited by Sim

Reading Enterprise Logs short stories between Gold Key comics.  At the moment, Captain Spock - Just A Little Training Cruise, by Ann Crisipin; my very favorite ST author.

ME

Just finished the "New Frontier" novel "Excalibur III: Restoration" by Peter David.

That was pretty good. Some other New Frontier novels made me think Peter David wasn't giving his best, but this one is definitely among his best. I love his mix of tension, humor and surprising turns. And his masterful play with clichés, which he then breaks with lots of irony. Great stuff! :)

Been reading "New Life and New Civilizations: Exploring Star Trek Comics" edited by Joseph F. Berenato. It is a collection of essays related to the various runs of comics (including UK comics) over the years. Pretty good so far. 

33full500.png

Being reading this, currently on Chapter 16 and it's getting intense

latest?cb=20140906002238

This one is in my queue . . . I like Greg Cox.  So, intense - as in good, yes?

ME

Being reading this, currently on Chapter 16 and it's getting intense

latest?cb=20140906002238

This one is in my queue . . . I like Greg Cox.  So, intense - as in good, yes?

ME

Well the first half of chapter sixteen mentions a missing warhead with protomatter in it...not good for the enterprise crew! (That's the only thing I'm going to spoil, the rest is classified)

I've not read any new Trek books in ages, probably not since the ENT Kobayashi Maru. Only just got through old TOS books that I brought secondhand this past few months- Vulcan Academy Murders, the IDIC Epidemic, Final Frontier (about George Kirk, Robert April and Enterprise's first voyage), Strangers from the Sky (First Contact, as it was before the film came along) and a couple of others. As a kid McIntyre, Carey and to an extent David shaped my Trek writing/fandom.

And look at how that turned out, ha.

Might check out the 50th anniversary books coming out: Captain's Log/Legacies

Been reading "New Life and New Civilizations: Exploring Star Trek Comics" edited by Joseph F. Berenato. It is a collection of essays related to the various runs of comics (including UK comics) over the years. Pretty good so far. 

33full500.png

I didn't know that existed. Looks interesting! Might have to seek it out. Thanks for posting that here and bringing it to my attention.

Just bought it! Perfect companion piece to my unread copies of volumes 1 & 2 of the newspaper Strips and the UK collected strips.

Edited by Robin Bland

Got the first two of Greg Cox's Khan books from a charity shop. Had Book Three for ages as the exile was what I was most keen on.

Only Trek comic I have is William Shatner's Ashes of Eden. Had always looked forward to the planned graphic novel of The Return but alas.

Just bought it! Perfect companion piece to my unread copies of volumes 1 & 2 of the newspaper Strips and the UK collected strips.

I actually went out of my way to pick up the DVD of Star Trek comics that was released a few years ago after reading through most of the early portion of the book. I really want to check out the US and UK comic strips now too after what I read... I've recommended the book to everyone I know who likes Star Trek and/or comics lol

You know that by posting that you're going to make me want to buy them as well, right? :laugh:

0a907526-453c-4ed6-abb6-c1ce54f391d6_tex :P

I just started "A pocket full of lies" by Kristen Beyer. I'm three chapters in and it's a page-turner.

I am reading STAR TREK MANIFEST DESTINY comics collection from IDW. Yeah, its JJ TREK but whatta hell LOL

The story by Mike Johnson - the ultimate showdown between the Federation and the Klingons - its better than STAR TREK 2009 and INTO DARKNESS.

615o6AgjojL.jpg

Gus

I just finished The Vulcan Academy Murders.  My single favorite Star Trek novel.  A murder mystery, with a touch of romance, wrapped in a Star Trek cover.  Absolutely perfect characterizations as well, by author Jean Lorrah.  What's not to love?

ME