Sign in to follow this  
mr Pointy Ears

Likes and dislikes

I do know all of that. ;-) Believe me, I'm entirely faithful to the Original Series even with some of the dated and out-moded concepts. But a little more rounding out maybe could have been slipped in there; ie, actual research into the countries of origin. My best friend (who is Russian) wrote a great essay about this called 'What's Wrong With Pavel Chekov?' a number of years ago. It's only available through WayBack now, but still a fun read that kinda says what I mean about just slipping a little more of the genuine culture (instead of the cliches) in: http://web.archive.org/web/20041016034418/...s/R-Chekov.html

It's an interesting essay, and your friend has some very good points (although some of it is just nitpicking, and there are a few glaring errors as well).

There's waaaaay too much that I love about the show to name everything. Even the things I complain about are things I love, just because it's so deliciously campy. Honestly I don't think I'd change a thing.

That being said, I did make up this list a while ago... (I hope linking to this site isn't a problem, forgive me, I'm new) Trek Make-up Bottom 10 (This link contains some potentially offensive language) Oddly enough, less than half of them are TOS.

I liked a good number of the episodes and I liked the cast. However, I didn't care for the decline of quality in the show during Season 3 and I got tired of certain alien cultures resembling Earth's past, and the subtle sexism. Oh yeah, and I don't care for "Spock's Brain".

--Christopher Pike

--Spock

--McCoy

--"The City on the Edge of Forever"

--"Balance of Terror"

--Khan Noonian Singh

Dislikes:

--the "alien of the week" phenomenon

--poor acting by William Shatner

--lack of screen time for the supporting cast

--plot inconsistencies

--Captain Sisko

Dislikes:

--the "alien of the week" phenomenon

--poor acting by William Shatner

--lack of screen time for the supporting cast

--plot inconsistencies

--Captain Sisko

Okay, first off...

POOR ACTING BY WILLIAM SHATNER!!!!! WHATTAYA MEAN?!?!? That's what makes the series! :angel_not:

Explain your other dislikes. I understand the lack of screen time, but the other two have me curious as to what you mean.

Edited by Joe90

Okay, first off...

POOR ACTING BY WILLIAM SHATNER!!!!! WHATTAYA MEAN?!?!? That's what makes the series! :angel_not:

Explain your other dislikes. I understand the lack of screen time, but the other two have me curious as to what you mean.

The "alien of the week" phenomenon has to do with the number of non-human species that appeared in a particular episode, only to never be seen again. It would have been interesting to include additional episodes with the Romulans, the Tholians, etc.

Though I suppose this is true of any television series or movie, there are numerous plot inconsistencies that hamper the quality of the series. For example, it has always perplexed me that the Enterprise is able to successfully traverse large distances within a relatively short timespan. Granted, the idea of the four quadrants of the galaxy had not been developed, nor had the size of the Milky Way been taken into consideration, but to me, it would have made sense to develop consistent parameters for mapping out the galaxy.

--Captain Sisko

- Spock

- Character dynamics

- Light-heated scripts

- Social commentary

- Hilarity and Campiness

Dislikes

- Frequent bad writing

Some of the episodes are so cheesy, even for the 60's.

I love the classic music. I like how if a character said something important, or if something critical happend it would be highlighted with the music with a "Duh-duh!" or something similar.

I like the computers. I liked how they talked so mechanically, and how it was so easy to make a computer blow itself up.

The "alien of the week" phenomenon has to do with the number of non-human species that appeared in a particular episode, only to never be seen again. It would have been interesting to include additional episodes with the Romulans, the Tholians, etc.

Though I suppose this is true of any television series or movie, there are numerous plot inconsistencies that hamper the quality of the series. For example, it has always perplexed me that the Enterprise is able to successfully traverse large distances within a relatively short timespan. Granted, the idea of the four quadrants of the galaxy had not been developed, nor had the size of the Milky Way been taken into consideration, but to me, it would have made sense to develop consistent parameters for mapping out the galaxy.

--Captain Sisko

Oh. Okay, I understand where you're coming from. I agree that those issues were better handled in later franchises. But that was due to TOS going where no Television Series had gone before... :biggrin:

I like everything except for two things: some of the music that they use repeatedly for certain things. Lol. It gets annoying. Like they have a certain tune for when love is involved, a couple of tunes for fight scenes, etc. It's not too bad though. It actually makes me laugh. The other thing I don't like are the silly looking monsters.

The cheesy scripts don't annoy me, because I think it was supposed to be that way. A lot of the episodes are not meant to be taken seriously. I actually enjoy the cheesiness. :happy:

Edited by Mrs. Spock

I like everything except for two things: some of the music that they use repeatedly for certain things. Lol. It gets annoying. Like they have a certain tune for when love is involved, a couple of tunes for fight scenes, etc. It's not too bad though. It actually makes me laugh. The other thing I don't like are the silly looking monsters.

Annoying? That's what makes it memorable and classic. Each time I hear the "fight music" it puts a smile to my face. The same thing goes for the monsters. It makes you think, "Those were the 60s, and we won't get them back."

Annoying? That's what makes it memorable and classic. Each time I hear the "fight music" it puts a smile to my face. The same thing goes for the monsters. It makes you think, "Those were the 60s, and we won't get them back."

Well... I guess annoying isn't the word. I know. That's what I was saying. It makes me laugh. In a good way. It's fun. Yeah, I guess you're right about the monsters. Hehe.

- The Trinity. Kirk, Spock, and McCoy make a perfect team.

- The optimism.

- The freedom. Many younger fans may look at TOS and think that it doesn't really fit with later shows, but it had the freedom to what it wanted and wasn't constrained to any canon.

- The spirit of adventure.

- It was colorful. I love 60's television, and this show looks amazing.

- The 60'sness. Sure, the sexual politics don't gel but I don't like how people harp on it. There's no way it could have been more equal than it was at that time. Too many factors going against showing a perfectly integrated society. You just have to accept it. I love the 60's fashion, with the beehives and GoGo boots. Hey, Trek is camp. I enjoy it. Even 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY has stewardesses in silly outfits.

- The ideas presented.

- The production design.

Dislikes:

"Dislike" sounds too strong. I have criticisms, but only a few "dislikes".

- Only three seasons. Pity.

- The Season 3 slide. Yeah, things went down. Budget, quality. Still, Season 3 had a number of good episodes and Scotty started to get more attention. I just wish the show had gone on. Maybe the others would have been developed more.

Criticisms:

Because dislike is too strong.

- The lack development for Sulu, Uhura, and Chekov. Hell, we got to know Chapel better than those three. They never got a fair shake. But that's hindsight for ya. Of course we can point fingers now, but back in the day the powers that be focused on Kirk and Spock. A show like DS9, where every character gets his due, wouldn't have been possible in the 60's IMHO.

Likes: the characters, the chemistry between all of them, the beautiful stories.

Dislikes: The role of women: sometimes it seems they're there just to be kissed by the captain. This bothers me because on other topics, Star Trek had innovative ideas.

- Only three seasons. Pity.

Indeed. I am sure that the authors had still many stories to tell, new planets to visit. Curiously, the last line of "The turnabout intruder" is "If only ...", which is what I think about TOS sometimes: if only we had more episodes...

- The lack development for Sulu, Uhura, and Chekov. Hell, we got to know Chapel better than those three. They never got a fair shake. But that's hindsight for ya. Of course we can point fingers now, but back in the day the powers that be focused on Kirk and Spock. A show like DS9, where every character gets his due, wouldn't have been possible in the 60's IMHO.

Here we are again: maybe, with one or two more seasons, we could see good episodes for the rest of the crew, too.

Edited by Mony

Dislikes: The role of women: sometimes it seems they're there just to be kissed by the captain. This bothers me because on other topics, Star Trek had innovative ideas.

Yeah, I don't like that either. I can ignore it, but it's still bothersome.

Only three seasons. Pity.

Yes, it's a shame. They should have had at least five seasons. The Enterprise had a five-year mission. The five seasons could represent the five years.

The genuine feel of the cast. You can tell everyone really loved that show and production.

The set. A lot of that stuff was handmade, if not all of it.

The dialog. Excellent conversations, and charmingly cheesy plot devices.

The costumes. I really love the simplicity and familiarity.

The relationships between Kirk & Spock, Spock & Bones, and Kirk & Bones... and the three of them. Such a unique and stimulating power struggle!

The props. Seriously, they're adorable. I love the 60's.

The actors. Really good cast. Really strong performers. Even most of the extras were good.

The music. It's really quite emotional and fitting when you pay attention. It builds a strong familiarity and connects you with the series.

The sideburns. Oh, do I love the side burns.

docsgotamigraine.jpgshhhmrscott.jpg

Dislikes:

First, I love to see my boys in higher definition in the remastered version, but I hate the new special effects. They should have kept the old ones. The original model was legit. Why'd they have to computerize that shit? Um, and that it ended on season 3, after freaking NBC tried to shut it down after the 2nd season. Bastards. It was supposed to be 5. THE FIVE YEAR MISSION YOU CHEAP HOSERS!

Edited by Enterprising-Bones

Enterprising-Bones: Ah, yes. Those lovely sideburns. It's funny, that was one of the things that really stood out to me when I was first introduced to Star Trek, TOS. I remember really admiring them. They're terribly attractive. :inlove:

Edited by Mrs. Spock