Frontier

How You Became a Trekkie

Joe90   
In honor of 40 years of Star Trek, I'm curious about how you became a Trekkie...

Who got you into Trek and who else in your real life is into it?

It was strictly a self propelled thing for me. I watched my first episode and was hooked. Most everybody I know is into it. People who aren't tend to be understanding, though. Even infidels acknowledge the power of Trek...

What was the first bit of Trek you watched?

The Man Trap -- TOS, of course.

Why did you watch your first bit of Trek and beyond?

Hmmm... It had space ships... It had monsters... From the opening seconds of the show, it was unlike anything I had ever seen. I remember being fascinated by Rand and Uhuru... :angel_not: Like I said above, I was hooked.

When did you first watch Trek?

It was Fourth Grade, 1966. The first show I ever saw was The Man Trap, and so it must've been early September, 1966.

I don't think anybody actually got me into it. I think I started watching it on my own when I was a little tyke. As for who else in my life is into it, I'd have to say my godmother. I don't know if she has a particular favorite, though. She watches all incarnations. I do too, although DS9 is my favorite.

TOS reruns.

It was just so darn fun to watch that I had to see more.

Early 80s, starting with TOS reruns. I also vaguely recall seeing Star Trek II at the drive-in with family, but for some reason my attention was drawn to the Annie film which was playing on a nearby screen.

In honor of 40 years of Star Trek, I'm curious about how you became a Trekkie...

Firstly, in honour of 40yrs, I got married on 8th Sept 2006. :thumbup: I didn't tell my OH till everything was arranged as he's not a scifi geek like me - lol. I wanted all the men to wear Spock ears and the women Bajoran earrings and nose ridges but he wouldn't have it - spoil sport - lol.

Anyway,

I just watched the reruns of TOS when I was little, no one made me - lol. Loved it, and was one of those people who was against TNG when it came out (sorry!! :blush: ). My sister had cable though and was into it and I was forced into watching the first part of Time's Arrow one time I was staying - I was hooked!!! Had to watch the 2nd part when I got home of course - lol. Never looked back since (well, apart from when Voyager came on. :P ). One of my sister's is into it, we've done all the exhibitions in the UK there've been, and went to the 30th anniversary (was it 30?!) convention at the Albert Hall. :cool:

Can't remember, but see last answer.

Cause I love scifi, always have. It's just a great show! And I fancied Kirk and Chekov. ;)

kaya   

* Who got you into Trek and who else in your real life is into it?

I got myself into Star Trek when I was about 4 or 5 years old.

* What was the first bit of Trek you watched?

It was a TOS episode, but I can't remember which one ...

* Why did you watch your first bit of Trek and beyond?

Well, I loved the costumes, alien masks and Mr. Spock as a kid and so I enjoyed watching the TOS reruns. A few years later TNG came along and of course I watched it too. The same for DS9. As I was about 10 or 11 years old Voyager came along and I was hooked because I loved the story of Voyager and their crew. It's still my favorite series by far.

* When did you first watch Trek?

I suppose 1991 or 1992.

First watched it i 06 when my dad got it from netflix and i got hooked. When I figured out how many star treks they were I wanted to see all of them. First series i watched was TNG. Take a look at my avi to see what my favorite episode is.:P

-ISN

Friend told me i HAD to watch at least ONE episode of Voyager because to not like Star Trek was sacrilege (I was and remain a die hard Star Wars geek and couldn't conceive of trek ever interesting me). The show appealed to my inner International Relations nerdiness and I started drawing all sorts of parallels. I was left in awe of Captain Janeway. So, I have managed to make it a new obsession and have watched a few episodes of every series except TOS. Voyager remains my favorite though.

• Who got you into Trek and who else in your real life is into it?
  • What was the first bit of Trek you watched?
  • Why did you watch your first bit of Trek and beyond?
  • When did you first watch Trek?

1. My dad got me into star trek and my dad's sorta eh... went down since.

2. The first bit of trek i watched was a TNG episode, but i don't remember which.

3. My dad told me to watch star trek with him one day. I got superinterested in it and then i watched TNG and voyager on spike every day.

4. I first watched trek when i was... Hmmm.... let me think.... maybe when i was 7 or 8?

I can't really remember, well, at least now i'm a trekkie and i'm here typing this :):)

Tone720   
I was and remain a die hard Star Wars geek and couldn't conceive of trek ever interesting me).

I'm the same with Wars, can't conceive of it interesting me, original or prequels or even the new movie, and I've tried to watch it.

I'm the same with Wars, can't conceive of it interesting me, original or prequels or even the new movie, and I've tried to watch it.

You're definitely not the only one.

QUOTE (Frontier @ Sep 3 2006, 02:20 AM)

Who: My dad got me into it, though he isn't as much of a fan as me, my mom is much the same way. My boyfriend is really into it and reads the books, and I'm slowly making my two best friends trekkies.

What: Best of Both Worlds Part 2. I saw Locutus and the rest is history.

Why: I'd seen my dad watching it and I thought it looked really interesting. I had so many questions he had tocut me off at times.

When: January 2004

I was on holiday with my family, I must have been around 7 or 8, and one evening flipping channels Star Trek: The Next Generation was showing on BBC2. I can't remember what episode it was, but I was intrigued. My Mum told me about an episode where Picard had been kidnapped and the crew, searching for him, came across his uniform on a planet. It turned out she was talking about "The Best of Both Worlds" and hadn't quite remembered the plot correctly! Nonetheless the idea that the captain could be kidnapped sounded thrilling along with the notion that Humans, in the future, could be out there exploring the galaxy. :wow: At the time I was quite into space and stuff and TNG was everything I had imagined was possible in my head.

I managed to see the whole series thanks to Sky One who used to run repeats of it every weekday at 5pm. Everyday at school I would look forward to it and once home it used to cause some arguments with my brother, who wanted to watch something else. I managed to win most of the time through! :)

Anyway, after seeing virtually every episode of TNG I was beginning to get tempted by the prospect of new Trek, at least for me, in DS9 and Voyager. I was aware of their existence before I started watching them but put it off as I regarded them as "lower species" of Star Trek. The idea of a space station and a woman captain for a show put me off! :blush: But once I grew up a bit more I realised I was being silly and was able to catch the premieres of Season 5 of DS9 and Season 4 of Voyager onwards in the UK.

Thats pretty much how it all started. As with regards to my family, they would watch an episode here and there, but they're not into it like I am. My uncle is into it a bit more though and I have a good friend from university who loves it just as much as I.

I can quite happily watch Star Wars, the orginals and the prequels. They're good fun, good entertainment and have a certain "coolness" to them. But I don't really consider it sci-fi at all.

I must have been around 7 or 8, and one evening flipping channels Star Trek: The Next Generation was showing on BBC2.

Sometimes I feel really old. :rolleyes: lol

(DaxFanDS9 @ Aug 19 2008, 02:49 PM)

I have tried REALLY hard to like SW, but just isn't happening!! I totally don't get the fuss at all.

I have tried REALLY hard to like SW, but just isn't happening!! I totally don't get the fuss at all.

I'm not a huge SW fan - but I do like it! - just not the one thats at the cinema at the moment!

I basically introduced myself to ST.

It was the summer of '97 when I was watching the TV and I stumbled upon an interesting show. It appeared that the main characters were: A bald guy who looked kinda old, a big tall guy who also had a big beard, another guy(at least I was pretty sure he was a guy at the time) who looked like he had just had a vat of acid upturned over his head, a pretty woman with long dark hair and a deep voice, 2 other guys, one extremely pale man and another who was wearing some strange shades.

So, all that aside, I think it's safe to say I was interested. I watched the whole episode through, and found out the show was called "Star Trek: The Next Generation". I watched it every week after that. So TNG was the first Trek I ever watched, then I saw all the others in line after.

Ael   

I agree, very nice! Kinda souns like mine when I was about 8ish, but I stumbled onto TOS.

HerbieZ   

I realized i never added to this thread!

My Dad got me into Trek. No one i know is into Trek that much. None of my family are really into it but they know a fair bit from me watching it. My Dad is the second closest follower, we used to watch it right upto the last episodes of Enterprise with Doritos and Salsa every Monday at 8:00pm. My sis used to watch it sometimes but mainly when we were younger (TNG), usually as it was on around tea time but she has a fairly good awareness of it. She surprises me spouting random episode names and Star Trek things sometimes. My mum is'nt really into Star Trek at all but she again does surprise me by saying the odd bit of Trek knowledge. That and she has seen "The Quickening" about 30 times because she really likes it. She sometimes says quotes from Weyoun that i don't even remember.

TNG Season 3. I really had no awareness of "seasons" back then so when the latest season finished, they'd put on an earlier season and i used to absolutely love it. Constant stream of new adventures for 5 years solid was brilliant! Used to make me and my sister laugh though, mainly Doctor Pulaski rapid aging and the "Crystal Identity".

I think it was a case of my dad putting it on tv one day and there it was. Then it just used to go one every day at 5:00, The Next Generation. Oddly, i never knew DS9 existed by the start of the second season and i thought it has been running parallel to TNG all these years so i just didn't watch it, as it was'nt that interesting to me at the time. However, when TNG ended i was gutted, then i started watching DS9 as it was more grown up and realistic. Then i remember the first day i heard about Voyager. A tube arrived in the mail addressed to my dad. I remember he opened it and it was a poster for Star Trek Voyager! I studied the bloody thing for about 3 hours, suffice to say i was over the bloody moon.

Season 3 of TNG so i'm guessing 1990. I don't remember the exact date or the exact episode as they were not shown in order they were made but i was hooked by the second episode which i think was 'The Neutral Zone'.

I basically introduced myself to ST.

It was the summer of '97 when I was watching the TV and I stumbled upon an interesting show. It appeared that the main characters were: A bald guy who looked kinda old, a big tall guy who also had a big beard, another guy(at least I was pretty sure he was a guy at the time) who looked like he had just had a vat of acid upturned over his head, a pretty woman with long dark hair and a deep voice, 2 other guys, one extremely pale man and another who was wearing some strange shades.

So, all that aside, I think it's safe to say I was interested. I watched the whole episode through, and found out the show was called "Star Trek: The Next Generation". I watched it every week after that. So TNG was the first Trek I ever watched, then I saw all the others in line after.

:thumbsup2::thumbup::laugh:

Very Good!

Phobia   

I started at a rather young age. I remember watching TNG when I was young, I guess I started there. Since that day, I have watched every single TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT episode, along with all the movies. The only show I can't say I've seen all of, is TOS. I've seen my fair share, but am unsure as to whether I've seen them all. Will no doubt take a stroll into them once the re imagined version comes out on TV though.

Cheile   

i never replied to this thread--are you freakin' serious?!

:clears throat: well then! be warned...sorta long LOL!

once upon a time, Che was eleven years old. her dad already had her into scifi, introducing her to such names as Asimov and Herbert, though she only took to the former....

the summer i was seven, i blew through Asimov's Foundation trilogy. (i go through books the way starving people eat.) i didn't understand much but it was fascinating. dad tried to introduce me to Dune next but i didn't really care for it. then he hooked me on the Grande Dame herself (Andre Norton) on my tenth birthday.

then not long after that....

dad was channel surfing one lazy sat afternoon. i was flipping through some book or other. he stops on a TOS episode. i look up--right into the face of one James T. Kirk. (eleven-year-old brain: hello, hot boy in gold shirt! and just who might you be?? :biggrin:) dad pointed out who was who as the ep went on. hot guy was Captain Kirk. the guy who annoyed me by never smiling was Spock. the dorky guy w the Russian accent was Chekov. the lovely lady i eventually told myself i wanted to grow up to be was Uhura. and so on.

hook, line and sinker. :P i made the parents rent me all the movies. i tried to watch it whenever i could. i annoyed the hell out of my dad because i did not understand that Vulcans Do Not Smile .

few years later, dad announces to me that there is a new Trek coming on. woohoo! but when i sit down to watch, i'm completely lost. that ship doesn't look like the Enterprise, even tho she is called Enterprise. just who ARE these people?! and who is that bald British guy in the captain's chair?! once i found out that the crew i knew and loved were all dead (this was years past them), i went "no....that's not the Trek I remember!" and to my room i went. i was a strange child :P dad tried over the seven years TNG was on to get me to try it. no sale. by the time DS9 began in '93, i had forgotten all about Trek.

the year after i graduated high school, i moved out. i stopped by the parents' house lateish one night. mom was already in bed. dad was settling in--to watch Voyager. i was about to leave when he told me to sit and watch it. "just try it...if you don't like it, you never have to watch it again."

"oh fiiiine :P," says i and settle onto the couch.

it was "Future's End" part 1. looking back i think he did that deliberately! because when it closed i was like "wtf! are they gonna fix things? is Starling going to get away with destroying everything? they can't stop NOW!" and dad is like "you'll be back next week won't you?" :giggle:

so that got me hooked on Voyager.

ffwd a short time later. visiting my friend Richard, who was a semi-serious Trekkie. he was glad to hear i'd gotten into Voyager and was trying to talk me into DS9. "it's just as good, lots of interesting characters" but i was unconvinced that a series set on a station could be as exciting as fighting the Delta Quadrant and a way home. suddenly he looked at the clock, went "omg! DS9 is coming on!" and drags me into the living room, yelling for his sis to join us.

the ep? "Children of Time". my attention was first grabbed when Miranda O'Brien said "we are your descendants". wow, really?! okay, this has potential. so i watched curiously until Gaia-Odo walked into the Defiant sickbay.

and then it was grabbed a second time--by the throat--as he laid it out for Kira in eight simple words: I love you, Nerys. I've always loved you.

i think Richard was taking dad lessons because he knows i'm a hopeless romantic. :P what better way to hook me than the tragic alternate future of Odo living two hundred years without the woman that, from the very look in his eyes, obviously meant the infinite to him?

i went looking for Trek websites soon after--and the rest is history. ;)

- I had liked TOS when I was young but didn't see it again until my fiance and I watched the series together. My fiance got me into TNG and I was so mad that I didn't watch much TNG when it first aired! He had seen most of the various Star Trek series. Now I think I am even more into it than him.

- Saw TOS in syndication when I was younger and saw the OS movies in the theatre. Saw only a few episodes of TNG and had never watched any of the other series. I thought I would never like a series like TOS but then TNG was just awesome.

Mishi   

* Who got you into Trek and who else in your real life is into it?

One of my friends I've had since childhood. She loved Star Trek and even had a life sized cut out of Geordi in her room. She'd always bother me to watch it and I'd always refuse. I'm the only Trekkie in my family *le sigh*

* What was the first bit of Trek you watched?

My friend forced me to sit down and watch Star Trek: First Contact with her. I was drawn in and loved the movie. I didn't get into Trek until a few years later though.

* Why did you watch your first bit of Trek and beyond?

Voyager was what really got me into Trek. I used to work the late shift and it was the only thing on television (our supervisors let us watch the television set if there were no calls...and it being night shift: no calls!) I was hooked and became obsessed with all things Star Trek almost instantly. I started watching TOS and then TNG because the stations played it.

* When did you first watch Trek?

I guess this falls back to the second question...

Benedict   

It was about 1990/91...my mum used to pop in a VCR of Star Trek IV to keep me entertained whilst she did housework...my earliest memory i sthat hospital chase. Then I watched TNG with my parents, used to get scared by Worf (which is funny as he's my second favourite character now). Then I discovered when I went to play in my room I wanted to play Trek so I asked for some action figures. I still have my Worf figure from '93. It grew from there. No-one else is remotely interested in Trek in my family.

Hardly a dream that spread throughout the stars here...