Frontier

How You Became a Trekkie

I like Star Trek for nearly 15 years. TNG was my first contact with ST. I always saw it on TV. I´m a real fan (with DVD´s, books, action figures a.s.o.) since 2004.

Lt Gos   

I was sure I'd already posted in this thread.

Anyway, here are my answers.

Who got you into Trek and who else in your real life is into it?

No one got me into Trek, I vaguely remember catching the last 4 or 5 minutes of an episode of TNG, thinking that it seemed interesting, and then catching the next episode the following week, which if I remember rightly was Relics. The only person in my real life that used to be into Trek (someone i've not seen for along time) was a fellow cadet at the Air Training Corps squadron I belonged to, after learning he was into Trek, we went to a small sci-fi convention back on 8th September 2001 (the only reason I remember the date is, because I was unemployed at the time, and so I was at home while my mum had the news on TV the following monday, when the twin towers were hit in America)

What was the first bit of Trek you watched?

The first one that watched all the way through was Relics, and it's still one of my all time favourite TNG/Trek in general stories, because Scotty is brought back into Trek canon, and we get to see the bridge of the NCC-1701 again in all it's glory :)

Why did you watch your first bit of Trek and beyond?

Mainly because I thought the storyline was interesting, and loved the work done on the special effects and alien makeup.

When did you first watch Trek?

Must have been either 1991 or 1992

My first Trek I encountered where the re-runs of TOS on German TV. God, I loved that show. Some day my big brother showed me the first episodes of TNG, and enjoyed it right away. ^^ Then came the old movies on TV, and one day, my brother showed me the VHS of Generations. Thenceforward I lost Trek... I mean, track. XD

Glenn   

Two people, really. My father enjoyed the films, and would watch them when I was little, so I knew who Kirk/Spock/McCoy were. Then, when I was at school, my friend Matthew brought in some Star Trek: The Next Generation MicroMachines (remember them?) and I loved the Romulan Warbird one. The show was on Wednesday nights at 18:00, so started watching them as a result of the toys, and... well, that was that. Engage!

Properly watched? An episode of The Next Generation, I think it was "The Best of Both Worlds". I seem to remember the Borg being in it. I was very young! As for 'aware of' watching, I remember the stealing of the Enterprise scene from Star Trek III: The Search for Spock for some reason. My Dad probably had rented the video. I was only about six/seven!

Like I said, the toy model ships my friend had at school. What hooked me was the opening credits of The Next Generation. My favourite moment for a long time was the moment the Enterprise-D emerges from beneath the camera after the names have scrolled. You see people moving in the observation lounge window! I loved it! Then, after the closing bars of THAT theme tune, there's a noise building up, you lean forward in anticipation, and then... warp speed! Big loud flash, the ship stretches and is gone in a bang! Trust me, as a kid, that'll get you hooked!

Let's see... primary school... Matthew was in year two... yeah, like I said, around seven. Maybe eight. That would have been 1994/1995. Not a year has gone by since where I haven't watched or purchased Trek-related tat!

sueKay   

I grew up with a family of Trekkies, and rebelled against watching it when I was little kid, because I ever got to decide what I wanted to watch. I got over that though!

I've only ever had a few friends that love Trek, thought plenty of my friends are sci fi fans.

Probably a bit of TNG's first season when I was a baby :P

My first memory of going out of my way to see Star Trek was "Caretaker", when I was the grand old age of seven.

As I said, I grew up with it. That and I've always loved Trek's vision of the future and the humanity of the characters. That's why I kept watching

Of my own free will? Probably when I was about five. I loved Worf and Data :P:happy:

Tone720   

* Who got you into Trek and who else in your real life is into it?

My Dad and a couple of Uncles are into it, as well as a cousin who is fluent in Klingon and suprisingly many of my mates at some level of fandom, from casual through to obsessive.

My Dad got me watching stuff like Thunderbirds in the late 80s/early 90s when stuff like that was on BBC2 every weeknight at 6PM. Inevitably one of the nights became TNG night, and later when DS9 started, DS9 night. I think I had watched some of the movies before getting into the series (probably The Voyage Home first I think).

DS9 was the first Trek series I watched from start to finish on the BBC which may be the reason it was my favourite. It influenced me so much that I ended up doing my best piece of Media Studies coursework on it in Sixth Form in 2000, after sneaking a copy of What You Leave Behind from a classmate who had Sky and thus saw these episodes months before BBC had them. That allowed my coursework to span the whole series and make many comments on conclusions and threads left unconcluded. Also my first teenage (TV) crush was a certain Ms Dax :inlove:.

My first proper girlfriend (met her in 97 or 98 when I was about 15/16) was also into Trek in a way I didn't expect when I asked my cousin to introduce me to her at a fateful party. We got chatting and I found out she loved trek too. She even went to a later party AS Dax (she even used some makeup to paint herself some spots, and they did go ALL the way down) and while that was just one commonality we had, there were so many more.

Alas she is no longer with us, but I have great memories of her (and only SOME of them are Trek-related).

I also firmly believe that I would not have the interest in computers (which inevitably lead me to my job) had it not been for Trek, so it's played a pretty big part outside of the TV Screen.

* What was the first bit of Trek you watched?

Can't honestly remember, I suspect it may have been a Data or Geordi-heavy episode as one of my first memories is chatting to mates at Cubs (and later Scouts) about the Visor and how one of them with his pale skintone resembled Data.

* Why did you watch your first bit of Trek and beyond?

See above, I think I liked Geordi with his cool (in the eighties remember) Visor and Data the android. Also just generally liked the design of the D.

* When did you first watch Trek?

err probably quite early on but can't really remember a specific time.

Ael   

No one got me into it. I think I was about 8 years old (am nearing 29 now) and just flipping through the channels one saturday, and came upon TOS. I was like, What the...? I did not think much of it at first, but then I decided to watch it out of boredom. I got hooked right then and there. Then came TNG and I got hooked harder. That is by far my favorite series of them all.

A friend of mine is into it, but she isnt as heavily anymore, and I only got back into it heavily several months ago. I used to go to cons, multiple ones, every year. Sadly, no money for travel or cons right now, and none come to KC anymore.

TOS something or other

i just liked it overall. In TOS I really liked Spock, and I think for a while watched it due to him..heh..fascinating!

I was about 8.

t'reker   

Who: My brother used to watch it

What: I think I actually saw The Motion Picture before watching any of the episodes.

Why: After seeing Wrath of Khan started watching the originals.

When: See above

March 4 1994, my dad turned on the television and I saw a bald man in a red/black suit, he was standing on a balcony in a rather unusual setting. He was with a crew of people and they were chasing down a crystal anomaly as big as a planet that kept destroying planets and turning them into desolate wastelands, a rather pale skinned man with unusual eyes traveled to the surface of one such planet with an old woman who claimed the crystal anomaly killed her son. the crew traveled to the anomaly and tried to communicate with it, but the old woman killed it with the ship's harmonizing resonater. after seeing this show I begged my dad to see more, which lit up his face like a christmas tree, and the rest of the day we watched this show, which he called "Star Trek: the next generation". The next day I asked to watch more but he said it was not on, but we could watch the original sereis. "You mean theres more than one!" I exclaimed, and thus I was introduced to James T. Kirk, Spock, Dr. McCoy, and Scottie, I was instantly hooked. then about a year later I was introduced to captain Kathryn Janeway of the starship Voyager, and as soon as I was familiar with the "get home while exploring" theory, Voyager became my favorite Trek sereis. ever since I have Tivo'd every Star Trek episode I can to build a library of them, and then another miracle happened, I found the Omega Sector, a place where Trek lovers like me coul talk about anything Trek related, and once again, I was instantly hooked.

Terilynn   
March 4 1994, my dad turned on the television and I saw a bald man in a red/black suit, he was standing on a balcony in a rather unusual setting. He was with a crew of people and they were chasing down a crystal anomaly as big as a planet that kept destroying planets and turning them into desolate wastelands, a rather pale skinned man with unusual eyes traveled to the surface of one such planet with an old woman who claimed the crystal anomaly killed her son. the crew traveled to the anomaly and tried to communicate with it, but the old woman killed it with the ship's harmonizing resonater. after seeing this show I begged my dad to see more, which lit up his face like a christmas tree, and the rest of the day we watched this show, which he called "Star Trek: the next generation". The next day I asked to watch more but he said it was not on, but we could watch the original sereis. "You mean theres more than one!" I exclaimed, and thus I was introduced to James T. Kirk, Spock, Dr. McCoy, and Scottie, I was instantly hooked. then about a year later I was introduced to captain Kathryn Janeway of the starship Voyager, and as soon as I was familiar with the "get home while exploring" theory, Voyager became my favorite Trek sereis. ever since I have Tivo'd every Star Trek episode I can to build a library of them, and then another miracle happened, I found the Omega Sector, a place where Trek lovers like me coul talk about anything Trek related, and once again, I was instantly hooked.

Wonderful story!~

Ta-Dah   

I remember watching TOS re-run (along with the UFO, Space 1999 and Blake's 7) when I was about 7 or 8 (which was 30 years ago :rolleyes: ), and Spock scared the shit out of me...have no idea why :biggrin:

Love for SF doesn't run in my family, I'm the only one hooked on Star Trek :laugh:

the first time i saw Star trek was on holiday to portugal with my family this is back when i was about 6 (about 14 years ago give or take) didn't really understand what was happening because it was showing on portuguese tv it wasn't until about two years later i was watching TV with my day back in england and he choice to watch an episode of the TNG that was on and he let me watch it with him i've stuck with Star trek ever since then i was scared shitless of Wolf and the borg for a very long while back when i was younger not so much anymore the borg still scare me everynow and then but who isn't scared of the Borg :P

- I saw Star Trek mentioned in a book and decided that I wanted to watch it and

see what was so great about it.(everything is great!)

- It was a TOS epsiode on G4 and it was "Journey to Babel".

- I wanted to see it because I just wanted to.

- September 2007. I was home sick from school.

Terilynn   

Ta-dah: I can so remember being afraid of a couple of the alien species when I was younger - not Spock though - he looked too much like my dad. :O

Lt. Mac: What a great way to remember the first time you saw it - in another country - and it was still good enough for you to give it another try when you got home!

Virulence!!: What can I say - but...it only takes one episode. That's it!

Who:My father got me into star trek.

What:Star trek voyager "Q and the grey"

Why:Nothing else left to do.

When:'Bout last summer.

That's my answer :)

Eden   

Who: My game master. I'm playing roleplay games and two years ago we found a new game master who proposed us to play Star Trek roleplay game. He based the adventure on Voyager, but we played a different crew on a different spaceship. Sort of alternative Voyager. In the end of every session we watched the episode of Voyager that we just played and discover how caracters of real Voyager make it.

Little by little I fell into Star Trek universe and I'm still in love with it :)

What: Like I said, Voyager. But I really became a fan with DS9.

Why: I don't know really. I find the universe fascinating, actors very good, and caracters with very rich personal stories.

When: Christmas hollydays, two years ago.

Quay-Mai   

Let's see...

Back in my Sophmore year of highschool, I was doing my homework when I happened to switch on UPN and caught an episode of DS9. Now I had always been a big fan of Sci Fi, so seeing this sparked me. I was interested in Star Trek before, but not indepth like I am now. I watched the entire series of DS9 and when I could, watched Star Trek-TNG reruns. After high school, I began working for about a year, but was let go. So I spent most of my days at home and noticed that a TV station showed reruns of TNG and I began to watch those until I got another job.

Since then, I began to feed into my obsession a little at a time. I'm still learning new things about Trek, but I've been a fascinated since I saw the making of it on Reading Rainbow when I was in elementry. I couldn't understand a majority of Star Trek until I was older, then it became clear I was in love.