Frontier

How You Became a Trekkie

RandyS   

In honor of 40 years of Star Trek, I'm curious about how you became a Trekkie...

1. Who got you into Trek and who else in your real life is into it?

2. What was the first bit of Trek you watched?

3. Why did you watch your first bit of Trek and beyond?

4. When did you first watch Trek?

[qoute]

Answers as follows:

1. My mom did, and my best friend now is.

2. The Motion Picture

3. My mom wanted to see TMP when it first came out

4. I was 9 years old in 1979. My mom wanted to see the new Trek movie. I was mostly interested at that time because I loved Star Wars and wanted to see another Sci-fi movie. I hated TMP, and when the TOS reruns began airing again on our local TV a month later, I couldn't believe they had made a series out of that garbage. Then my mom explained how the show was made first before I was born, and the movie was actually a reunion. I agreed to watch it with her, and after a few episodes, I changed my mind and became a "Trekkie".

Nemesis   

Well a decade ago I watched star trek ocassionally on tv. You know, saturday evening, eating french fries and watching star trek. Sometimes it was TNG, or DS9. I did like TNG more then DS9 then.

When I was something older and DS9 was broadcasted everyday at the dutch television at dinertime, I watched it every day. When I Couldn't watch it, I recorder it with my videorecorder. After a while a sister-channel started to broadcast Voyager at the same time, so both videorecorder in our home were working for me. Without actually knowing it, I became a fan. Because DS9 is the better serie and it's get more tense every season I was really into it.

After season seven was finished in 2001 I was empty.. Well.. then I went on the internet to search for everything what has to do with star trek. I came at StarTrek.nl and I'm stille there. A year later I launched my own website, it's still there. Since 2002 I buy the Star Trek DVD's. I've got them all!! Well. I can now say I'm a trek fan but when I became it.. you tell me

dvd.jpg

Who: My parents. They have a habit of getting me hooked on shows.

When: Late winter, early spring 1991. All I remember was it was season 4.

Why: Either Data or Worf. Don't remember. I was like, ten years old.

What: TNG. It was either Night Terrors or Identity Crisis.

I did have a very early experience when I was like, two. I was scared to death of Balok at the end of TOS's season two credits. And I was terrified of Spock. Then I got older and loved Spock.

Mesei   

In honor of 40 years of Star Trek, I'm curious about how you became a Trekkie...

Who got you into Trek and who else in your real life is into it?

What was the first bit of Trek you watched?

Why did you watch your first bit of Trek and beyond?

When did you first watch Trek?

Mmm...

I got me into Trek i guess, my parents let us watch TOS originally and then i "grew up" and left it behind, but then something strange happened. TNG came along, oh, hearing the words "Where NO ONE " opposed to the NO MAN in the title sequence - it seemed like a rebellion against the TOS. BUt i watch TNG all the way through, religiously even. Then came along DS9 i wasn;t bothered about it, but there on the pilot episode (which i rented out cos it wasn't even on telly) was the wonder that became DS9....and even better, although i lost interest when the original Dax left (sob) i then watched and became delighted with the story lines of VOYAGER... something about Janeway....anyway.... i guess i am an intermitent watcher, but the stories i love - i love with all my heart.

First bit of Trek - not sure, one main memory is when i was young and seeing the Original Movie with my dad. Amazing at the time, and even though they don't show it all that often, the memory of seeing the Enterprise on the big screen for the first time....priceless.

I watched it because of everything i have typed here. I like the characters i like, i like the stories i liked, no judgement on me for that. Also because i am afraid, that the future won't be like that. That it won't matter who you are, where you are from. What you do, what you know.....unlike todays society.

When i first watched Trek - again too young to accurately record that... i know it's been almost 30yrs.....

Sim   
  • Who got you into Trek and who else in your real life is into it?
  • What was the first bit of Trek you watched?
  • Why did you watch your first bit of Trek and beyond?
  • When did you first watch Trek?

I discovered Star Trek on my own, when I switched around the TV. That was back in 1987. I caught the beginning of "The Menagery Part II" of TOS and was amazed. I had just developed an interest in space and SF and Star Trek was just what I had been looking for.

From then on, I watched TOS almost every week as long as it was running. Too bad I didn't have a VCR back then, so I couldn't tape them -- when I got one in 1990, a friend of mine gave me 6 episodes of TOS he had taped, and I watched them over and over again.

In 1990, TNG started here in Germany and I didn't miss a single episode, but I didn't love it like TOS until season 2.

When DS9 started in 1994, I was a bit disappointed at first, but I really got into it with season 2 as well.

For most of the time, I could not decide which was my favourite series -- sometimes it was TOS, sometimes TNG and later DS9 as well. I guess that means I love all of them equally. But I could never quite get into VOY; I thought the first season was promising for a first season of a Star Trek series, but then there were so many bad episodes from season 2 on, and the character development was messed up after season 1, IMHO. Maybe that was because Ronald D. Moore left the show.

When ENT finally started, I didn't wait for the dubbed broadcast in German TV, but downloaded the original episodes from the Internet. I found the series promising in the first season and liked it much more than VOY, but season 2 was a bit repetetive and boring, and I wholeheartedly hated the Xindi-arc in season 3 (I still think that was the worst season of Star Trek ever produced). Season 4 of ENT was very great in my opinion, almost on the level of DS9 -- ENT should have been like that right from the beginning, maybe it wouldn't have failed then.

Now as no new Star Trek is on air, I occasionally watch the old episodes which I have bought all on DVD (except for VOY which I have taped and season 1 to 3 of ENT), mostly TOS and DS9. I can't wait for the new movie and maybe a new series even.

worf 359   

In never used to like star trek until i got sky...it is on quite a lot on the sci fi chanel, sky 1 and sky 2...so i guess i just started to watch it

Veridian   

- Who got you into Trek and who else in your real life is into it?

My dad used to collect the Star Trek DC Comics, around 1990. I guessed that brought ST to my attention, so he gets the credit. My entire family enjoy Star Trek.

- What was the first bit of Trek you watched?

TNG. That, and The Undiscovered Country. Generations, too, was a big thing for me.

- Why did you watch your first bit of Trek and beyond?

No idea. Probably Counsellor Troi (I had a crush!)

- When did you first watch Trek?

Probably when I was 10/11 years of age.

My mom, my uncle, and my dad. As a result, I grew up with it.

I can't really remember. It was either one of the films or an ep of TNG or TOS. I didn't watch DS9/VOY/ENT until after all of them had ended.

I started because of my parents, but I was hooked because of the space battles. The fight between Kirk and Khan in that nebula is still one of my favorite movie moments

I've watched it my entire life.

My mom and her brother used to watch TOS as kids. My dad got into it after TWOK, but didn't like the original series. I've watched it since I was a little kid, and I love it. It's one of the few scifi series that has action plots with more substance then just "cool explosions." They're very powerful drama. I had tears running down my face the first time I watched The Siege of AR-558.

Crosis   

I got into it pretty early, when I was about 6 or 7 years old. My friend in second grade was talking about TNG and how it was a cool show, so then one night I turned on the tv and it was on, this was before TNG was even in re-runs. I remember the first episode I ever watched, "Devil's due" Really liked it, and I thought the look of the ent-D was awesome, and being a little kid, you're easily impressed by shiny, colorful things...But I still think it looks cool.

I started watching TNG due to boredom during the winter of 1989 in reruns with my Grandma. I started watching the new episodes that came out and was completely hooked. Then, one of the stations that was showing old episodes started showing TOS. I refused to watch it because I was mad that

they took off TNG reruns. My Grandma watched it and kept telling me to, but I wouldn't. One day,

for some reason, I stayed in the room when a TOS episode came on. I didn't pay attention to it until I saw this white rabbit come hopping down a trail. I was glued to the screen for the rest of 'Shore Leave'. From that point on, I didn't miss an episode. Soon, TOS became my favorite over TNG. Then, in 1993, I began watching DS9. I was really excited about it. But, there was a problem. It didn't give me the same feeling that TOS and TNG and the movies gave me. I watched the entire first season, and never watched it again. I hated it. I'm not sure what happened, but it's almost like DS9 turned me against Trek. I never went and saw a TNG movie at the theater, I didn't watch TOS anymore...I guess I got out of it. Some of the most difficult years of my life went by, and I always felt like something was missing. I stayed pretty true to the values I had learned from Trek (and Grandma) but, the Trek world passed me by. I never even saw a Voyager episode. Then, about 5 years ago, my husband was up late

and watched an episode of TOS that was on. The next day, he asked me if I'd ever seen

Star Trek. Something sparked. I couldn't stop talking about it. I went to my Mom's and got

every Trek item I still had at her house. I became obsessed with it again overnight. I have stayed that way since. Yes, I have since watched DS9 and Voyager. DS9 isn't as bad as I remembered it, but I

still don't feel good about it. To me, it just doesn't represent the qualities of Trek that attracted me.

Voyager is okay, but that spark isn't there for me either. I can definately notice post-Roddenberry

Trek. I even tried to watch Enterprise once...something about a Vulcan conspiracy with a young T'Pau.

It was an abomination. I am more into Trek that I ever was, and I'm glad I found my way home. I am now dedicated to gaining converts for Trek and to changing the perception of Trek fans as being losers.

Voyager   

My dad; he and I are the only trekkies in the family

A season 3 episode (not sure which one) of Voyager

I was recording an episode for my dad while he wasout, so I had nothing else to watch, and I found it fantastic.

Late 1997

- My dad, he has been a fan since TOS

- Voyager, "Caretaker".

- I was 11, and a big Star Wars fan at the time... my dad suggested that I check out the new Star Trek tv show that was getting ready to premiere. He thought I might find it interesting because they were going to have a female Captain. And obviously, I became hooked, lol.

I guess you could say I got myself into it. When I was a kid in school I was always into robots and space travel and anything high-tech. Weird Science, Space Camp, Real Genius, Star Wars, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future... these were some of my favorites!

A friend of mine in school Matthew, inducted me into this club he started called A-Force. A standing for Alien of course. We used to read everything we could find on UFOs, aliens, abduction, etc. But in order to aid us in our search, we used to take apart anything and everything electronic we could get our hands on. From these parts and peices we would construct alien finding devices, communicators and anything else to reach out and phone home! I remember my parents being mad at me so many times for taking apart telephones. electronics, and appliances. They started giving me an allowance just so I wouldn't take apart their stuff.

Anyway... right about the same time that I joined A-Force I started watching Star Trek TNG. It would come on late at night, 10pm I think. I had a tv in my room as a kid and had worked out an ingenious plan. I would start watching tv around 830 or 9. And every couple minutes I would turn the volume down one click. So by the time TNG came on, the volume was so low that my parents couldn't hear it, but I had grown accustomed to it. :biggrin:

I would sit there with no other light than that of the tv... haul out all my A-Force parts and start building stuff while I watched trek. The gadgets in trek inspired me while I built!

I have many fond memories of supergluing my hands to all kinds of things from building stuff in the dark like that. But really good memories.

It never stopped from there on. I would watch DS9 while I did my homework in 7th grade. I watched Generations and thought it was pretty good. But when First Contact came out I was 17 and working at a movie theatre. I remember we got to have an employee screening of it the night before it came out! Now THAT was a great trek memory!

At this point TNG and Voyager are my favorite series... and as much as I'm going to be attacked for this, TOS is the only one I have never been able to really get into. Now first remember I wasn't born until 1979... also that I'm a big fan of the technology and TOS was a little bit behind my times from a technological standpoint. But I'm sure at some point I'll try to get myself into it.

Wow... my love of trek in a nutshell. :thumbup:

Voyager   

I'm actually the same way. I know there wasn't as much technology in the sixties to make it look more realistic, but coming from a time when Voyager was the first Trek I saw, seeing TOS doesn't seem as good. I mean if I saw it in the sixties, then I probably would have loved it.

Back in the 1970s when my dad was around (for my first 3 years,) he used to have it on. After he bolted, my mom made sure I got to see it, as well as the Animated show. Mom's more of a Star Wars fan, but she likes the Trek movies, The Voyage Home being her favorite.

The original series in general. First memories would be the Horta/spaghetti and meatball monster, Trelane, Tribbles, the Gorn-Kirk fight and the flying pizzas that attacked Spock.

Because Captain Kirk was a badass, Spock had green blood and the Enterprise was the most unique ship I'd ever seen. I also thought the spaghetti and meatball monster was pretty cool too.

Early/mid 1970s.

:WarBird:

Sam   

It was my best mate at the time, his name was Kieran. We were at his house just playing as kids do (we were about 7 at the time) and were just flicking through TV channels when we stopped at BBC2 and an episode of TNG was on and from then on i was hooked!

Following on from the above it was the TNG episode Skin of Evil where Lt. Yar died. Although we didnt see the whole thing, probably turned on after the first 20 minutes.

I thought the first episode i saw was so fantastic and entertaining i watched the following episode the week after on TV. And from then on it grew. I grew up with Voyager being shown every week on BBC2 and when my gran used to look after me when i was younger (About ages 7-10) she would alays rent Star Trek videos for me to watch :)

As above it was over 13 years ago now when i was 7 years old and i have never looked back since! :clap:

(Great idea for a topic by the way!)

My mom really liked the old tos show and every night before bed i would watch it with her and my dad would sometimes come watch it with us.

Well when i was little i walked into the living room and turned on the tv and watched star trek tos i think it was "Devil In The Dark" and i was just drwan to it of course my favorite character was Kirk because i felt he added alot of drama and depth to the series.

I always loved space and possibiltys of travel in space and so this show came along in my life and it was my escape from reality

Dad was the big Trek fan of the family. To be honest, I hated it when I was little because it made no sense to me and yet dad would watch it all the time! I do have some memories of him explaining stuff, like when he finished building a model of the Ent-D, he told me that the saucer on the model could separate like in the show, and in the movie (Generations) it crashed on a planet. He then did a reenactment of the crash landing scene. Later, after I got to college, I found out one of my friends was really into Trek as well. Eventually all this prompted me to try watching some TNG on Youtube, and I was instantly hooked!

The first episode I have any memory of is "The Child." It was a rerun, since dad was able to explain what was happening. I remember the scene where that ball of light enters Troi. I asked what was going on, and dad told me she was pregnant now. For a while after that, I actually believed that's how babies were made: A star (the light looked like a star to me) came from the sky and entered the mommy's belly, making her pregnant.

When I was little, it's because that's what dad had on tv. Later, it was out of curiosity. That's when I got hooked.

Well to be honest I've been watching it passively pretty much since I was born. I was born June 16, 1988... TNG had already started and dad always watched it. Sometimes he'd make me sit down and watch it with him even though I didn't really want to. I didn't start taking an active interest in watching it until February of this year.

I was a wee little lad back in the early eighties, when I was first introduced to Star Trek.

My mom and I would make popcorn and watch re-runs of TOS . It was a whole event. Ahhh, those were the days.

:thumbsup2:

I was a wee little lad back in the early eighties, when I was first introduced to Star Trek.

My mom and I would make popcorn and watch re-runs of TOS . It was a whole event. Ahhh, those were the days.

:thumbsup2:

Wussup, Pimp? I first saw Star Trek with a TNG episode where Riker was in a Romulan prison camp with a little kid.... but he wasn't REALLY in the camp, it was all in the little kid's imagination.

Haha... mine's a very strange story... I had this professor a year ago who I sortof fell in love with... she didn't feel the same about me, but regardless, I wanted to have something in common with her... and she was a Trekkie... I hadn't expected to become so obsessed, but I wanted to be able to talk about ST with her, so I started marathoning TOS with a friend of mine last summer. I became addicted after that, and bought everything else... only thing I didn't buy was the animated series... I'm trying to get that for christmas. :P

Anyway, I wound up addicted and now it's about all I think about...

I used to have this ex-boyfriend who wasn't too much of a Trekkie, but he did like TNG, so I got him some of those DVDs for Christmas and then kind of starting watching it with him. And then about 3 years ago, I was on vacation in Mexico, and when I wanted to stay in the hotel room and rest, TOS was on one of the English-language channels, so the first ever TOS episode that I watched was "Devil in the Dark". Sadly enough, currently I don't have anyone in my real life that's into Star Trek (although I'm not giving up on trying to convert my friends! :devil: )

I think it was "The Royale" on Season 2 of TNG.

The DVDs were there, I had nothing else to do, and I like sci-fi, so I figured I'd at least give it a try! Although I must say, it took about 5 years after that first viewing for the full-blown addiction to kick in :)

TNG - early 2002.