Frontier

How You Became a Trekkie

292 posts in this topic

Losing Nimoy was heartbreaking but I console myself with the knowledge that his incredible body of work, and especially his greatest creation, will live on forever. I can only hope that my own life will have had even a fraction of the positive influence on the world that his unquestionably did.

That's as great an epitaph as anyone could hope for.... :)

When I was 12 we lived in the UK for a year in the mid-80s, and I watched TOS reruns. I enjoyed it and was fascinated by Spock, but that didn't turn me into a Trekkie yet. I saw most of TNG, DS9 and VOY when they aired, but I think it was really ENT that truly got me hooked. When DS9 aired I was frankly more interested in Babylon 5. After ENT my husband and I bought the DVD sets of the other shows, we're currently rewatching DS9, although I think we're going to skip VOY this time around, it's my least favorite Trek show and my husband isn't too keen on it either (my main gripe with the show is that it could have been a great arc-based show, if the suits had allowed it, and the writing, especially for Janeway was very inconsistent).

I also enjoy the JJ movies as action packed entertainment...

That said, I'm more excited about the next STC episode and Star Trek: Renegades than about the 3rd Bad Robot movie...

That said, I'm more excited about the next STC episode and Star Trek: Renegades than about the 3rd Bad Robot movie...

* long-distance internet high-five.... *

zTU4HGG.gif

*high-five*
:lol:

If the suits at CBS/Paramount want the franchise to go on, they need to take a long, hard look at what's going on in fandom at the moment. So many talented people, many of them professional actors, writers, directors and producers, have such passion for the franchise that they're willing to work basically for free to make it so...

*high-five*

If the suits at CBS/Paramount want the franchise to go on, they need to take a long, hard look at what's going on in fandom at the moment. So many talented people, many of them professional actors, writers, directors and producers, have such passion for the franchise that they're willing to work basically for free to make it so...

I don't really think the suits, as you call them, have EVER really known what to do with Star Trek, as evidenced by their consistent preference for salt vampire types of stories over the many thoughtful and poignant episodes we eventually got. Facing the fact that the general populous would rather see monsters-of-the-week and space-bound shoot-'em-ups than something truly inspiring about US, we can surmise that a continued Star Trek is likely to be a COMPROMISED Star Trek. They want to make money; we want to see the great human adventure, retooled for the modern age.

My great fear is that the original series was a product of it's time and, quite possibly, can never be satisfactorily replicated for a society that has simply moved on. Classical archetypes are considered irrelevant nowadays and curiosity has degenerated to (superficial) conformity. The last Abrams offering, which was probably at least partly intended to recapture the old spirit of the franchise, became but a watered-down parody of Trek at it's absolute best. The casting of a 'hot name' like Cumberbatch as Khan is only the most recent glaring example of a movie making machine that does not 'get' Star Trek.

Hope springs eternal but I largely agree with Maneth's assertion that the future of Star Trek probably lies with the fan productions ... Star Trek Continues, in particular.

*high-five*

I don't really think the suits, as you call them, have EVER really known what to do with Star Trek, as evidenced by their consistent preference for salt vampire types of stories over the many thoughtful and poignant episodes we eventually got. Facing the fact that the general populous would rather see monsters-of-the-week and space-bound shoot-'em-ups than something truly inspiring about US, we can surmise that a continued Star Trek is likely to be a COMPROMISED Star Trek. They want to make money; we want to see the great human adventure, retooled for the modern age.

My great fear is that the original series was a product of it's time and, quite possibly, can never be satisfactorily replicated for a society that has simply moved on. Classical archetypes are considered irrelevant nowadays and curiosity has degenerated to (superficial) conformity. The last Abrams offering, which was probably at least partly intended to recapture the old spirit of the franchise, became but a watered-down parody of Trek at it's absolute best. The casting of a 'hot name' like Cumberbatch as Khan is only the most recent glaring example of a movie making machine that does not 'get' Star Trek.

Hope springs eternal but I largely agree with Maneth's assertion that the future of Star Trek probably lies with the fan productions ... Star Trek Continues, in particular.

And I'm actually OK with that; if the studios keep screwing it up? I'd be OK with ST surviving only in fan films, or in Renegade Studios-type, semi-professional productions. It was the fans who first resurrected ST from the ashes of cancelation in the '70s, so it seems fitting that it's the tech-saavy fans of the 21st century now make ST for the enjoyment of other fans! I wouldn't be surprised if, for some future fans, these films will be they way they 'discover' ST for themselves...

ST fans have come pretty far in the last 50 years, I'd say... :OMNI:

Let's see how this 32 year old became a Trekker:

Was introduced to TNG when I was 4 years old, by my parents. We was basically watching "Encounter at Farpoint."

I became a big Star Trek fan because of my husband.  I liked watching the Next Generation when it was on TV so when my husband wanted to watch TOS on Netflix I sat down an watched it with him.  I loved it!  We've watched the all of TOS and the movies together.  We plan to watch the rest of the series as well. 

I became a big Star Trek fan because of my husband.  I liked watching the Next Generation when it was on TV so when my husband wanted to watch TOS on Netflix I sat down an watched it with him.  I loved it!  We've watched the all of TOS and the movies together.  We plan to watch the rest of the series as well. 

Have fun watching Melinda, and welcome to the forum. Post often and enjoy! :) 

Nice to meet you! :)

My wife, too, became a fan (somewhat) by watching Star Trek with me. Her favorite shows are DS9 and ENT.

My first real Star Trek memory was watching Wrath of Khan as a youngster and being hooked.  Off and on I saw a decent bit of TOS and later some TNG. 

When I went off to college, it seemed every time I got in from class or one of my jobs, either Voyager or DS9 was on so myself and two of my roommates always seemed to be watching it.

While I wasn't as into DS9 at the time as I seldom caught consecutive episodes, when I went back later and binge-watched the whole series, it quickly became my favorite.  It was then that I realized the true depth and complexity of the characters.  The interesting relationships throughout the series like O'Brien/Bashir, Odo/Quark, Dukat/just about everyone (especially Weyoun), just to name a few, really pulled me in as a viewer and made me a fan

I originally got into Star Trek through TNG since it was new when I was a kid. My dad was a fan of TOS from his childhood and of course watched TNG, so I watched the show with him. I stayed a fan of TNG and watched chunks of the new series after that. I went back and watched TOS in 2009 when I got a job that required a lot of waiting while my computer processed data, so I'd watch episodes and finished the entire series in one summer! Since then I've been trying out transporter FX between my main VFX work.

I originally got into Star Trek through TNG since it was new when I was a kid. My dad was a fan of TOS from his childhood and of course watched TNG, so I watched the show with him. I stayed a fan of TNG and watched chunks of the new series after that. I went back and watched TOS in 2009 when I got a job that required a lot of waiting while my computer processed data, so I'd watch episodes and finished the entire series in one summer! Since then I've been trying out transporter FX between my main VFX work.

If you're ever up for sharing your work, we have an extensive "Fan Trek" section where many of our members post writings, FX work, videos, artwork, you name it.   We'd love to see what you've come up with! 

No pressure, of course. :P

Who got you into Trek and who else in your real life is into it?
My dad of course! and my best friend Matthew who I went to High School with!

What was the first bit of Trek you watched?
It's kinda hard for me to remember because I was so little but it was the original movie trilogy my dad had on VHS (He didn't have 5, thank god!)

Why did you watch your first bit of Trek and beyond?
Well my Dad also had Star Wars on VHS and seeing the word star in star trek caught my attention (Plus for being a little kid, I really knew how to use a VCR XD)

When did you first watch Trek?
Like I said all I can remember is watching my dad's vhs tapes of the original movie trilogy and yes I did watch the TV series as a kid too, TOS on the Scfi channel, TNG on the local channels, VOY on UPN (I can't really remember what channel DS9 was on though) and for some reason I can't remember Enterprise

Posted (edited)

No one. I'm baffled how I became a fan really because neither of my parents were science fiction fans and I was an only child. My dad is a keen sports fan and I'm a complete opposite. My mum is more into historical Jane Austen type-stuff. I guess Star Trek found me.

I have a vivid memory around the age of six of watching what I now know to be The Devil in the Dark. It would have been a mid-80s rerun on BBC2. I remember being transfixed watching these strange men in their pajamas hunting a rock monster :) 

Again I don't know. My parents certainly weren't enablers, they think its nonsense. After that early memory I also have memories of the ear-worm sequence from STII. My first regular dose was BBC2's first run of TNG. I just loved the drama, the excitement and adventure.

Accidentally, at about the age of six but as a regular committed viewer from about the age of 10 circa 1990. I remember going to see STVI in the cinema so I was definitely a fan by 1992 age 12. 
Edited by barwars

4 hours ago, barwars said:
No one. I'm baffled how I became a fan really because neither of my parents were science fiction fans and I was an only child. My dad is a keen sports fan and I'm a complete opposite. My mum is more into historical Jane Austen type-stuff. I guess Star Trek found me.

I have a vivid memory around the age of six of watching what I now know to be The Devil in the Dark. It would have been a mid-80s rerun on BBC2. I remember being transfixed watching these strange men in their pajamas hunting a rock monster :) 

Again I don't know. My parents certainly weren't enablers, they think its nonsense. After that early memory I also have memories of the ear-worm sequence from STII. My first regular dose was BBC2's first run of TNG. I just loved the drama, the excitement and adventure.

Accidentally, at about the age of six but as a regular committed viewer from about the age of 10 circa 1990. I remember going to see STVI in the cinema so I was definitely a fan by 1992 age 12. 

Hey, we're about the same generation of ST fans! :) My experiences were very similar.

Who: On my own, switching the channels.

What: TOS "The Menagerie, Part 2" -- I was hooked and hardly missed an episode thereafter. That was in November 1987 -- it was even the first run of 39 remaining TOS episodes in Germany (the first bundle of 39 episodes had aired 1972-74 already, but it took a while until the remaining episodes came to German tv).

Why: My environment wasn't very much into SF. Guess there were two main factors that made me totally crazy about anything that was about space and science: First, I was in a kindergarten that belonged to the Max-Planck-Institute in Berlin, so most of my peers were children of scientists (my father is physicist and did an internship at Max Planck ages ago -- but he isn't into science fiction), which I guess at least created a very science-friendly environment early on, also a sufficiently international one, because many foreign people worked there, too. My best kindergarten buddies' father, for example, (an Irish family, btw) had a telescope and would give us photos he made of the moon. The kindergarten also took us into a planetarium as excursion.

And this crazyness about science and speculation was then fueled by the first SF show I happened to watch ever, the BBC series "The Tripods". IIRC, I must have been 5 or so. Ever since then, I would switch the channels, craving to get to see anything that resembled the thrill I got from that show. TOS did. ;)

When: Ever since 1987. In September 1990, TNG started in Germany, and I didn't miss a single episode. Taped them all on VHS. Star Trek and I lived happily together ever since then... :D

On 5/18/2017 at 4:22 PM, Sim said:

First SF show I happened to watch ever, the BBC series "The Tripods". IIRC, I must have been 5 or so. Ever since then, I would switch the channels, craving to get to see anything that resembled the thrill I got from that show. TOS did. ;)

We do have a similar experience in discovering Trek!

I'll differ on Tripods though - that terrified me as a nipper :) Red Dwarf, Thunderbirds and Ghostbusters truly cemented my love of SF outside of Star Trek. The last ten years has seen a new found love of Doctor Who fill the gap left by a lack of new Trek.