Frontier

How You Became a Trekkie

292 posts in this topic

In honor of 40 years of Star Trek, I'm curious about how you became a Trekkie...

• Who got you into Trek and who else in your real life is into it?
  • What was the first bit of Trek you watched?
  • Why did you watch your first bit of Trek and beyond?
  • When did you first watch Trek?

Here are my answers... ;)

Who: My sisters one-time boyfriend, when she was in High School.

What: Episode of TOS 'Arena'

Why: Combination of bordem and fascination.

When: Summer of 1996.

To be more detailed, which I encourage everyone to be, here is the story to go with those quick facts.

My father died in February of 1996, when I was 11. That summer was tough, because he had been injured in an accident when I was 4, and thus always home with us (a stay at home dad before the concept existed) and so it was odd for him not to be there. Bored, I was flipping channels one evening and saw this shimmering sparkle FX, looked pretty cheesy, but it caught my eye for a second. It was the away team beaming down the Cestus III in 'Arena'. I realized the show was called Star Trek, because my sisters boyfriend at the time was a fan of it and had mentioned it once or twice. So I watched, both bored and fascinated.

Later in the summer, I ended up spending the day with him, just the two of us, when my sister had to work one day. So we watched TWOK, and that film is what really locked me down into being a Trekkie. I understood very little of it compared to now, but to an 11 year old, it was a cool film with space ships, blood, and lots of lasers. :biggrin:

I stayed in TOS-only until that fall. First Contact came out in theatres, and even though I didn't know anything about TNG, I simply had to see it. I still remember seeing the Picard/Worf confrontation scene on the big screen and being in total awe of it's power, and the power of the Lily/Picard confrontation scene to follow. Soon after, sisters boyfriend gave me a tape of 'Trials and Tribble-ations' to get me into DS9, too. Which I had been resistant of for some reason. He figured a crossover would do the trick; and it did.

It took me until that spring to get into Voyager - when I saw something about the Borg being on Voyager on TVGuide. Had no idea about Jeri Ryan, I just knew the Borg where cool from First Contact. Watched some summer reruns, and tuned in for the 4th season premiere in September.

And thus I was assimilated. :biggrin:

I spent a lot of time from 1996 to 1999 hunting for every episode of Trek on TV I could find. Early Voyager was no where at the time, early DS9 was on weekdays on my local FOX at 5 PM, TOS disappeared to Sci-Fi only at some point during it all, and when I couldn't find TNG on TV? I went to startrek.com for help, and they provided info on who owned the rights in any specific area. The same local, rinky-dink station that had first aired TOS for me, owned but didn't air TNG. So I e-mailed them and asked them to. A month later I got a reply saying, more or less, "OK" and a month later? TNG appeared as if from no where. :biggrin: Seems all it took was someone expressing a little interest. ;)

- My Parents, but I really got into it with my friend Emi who's still the only Trekkie friend I have

- I dont honestly remember..the first thing I remember seeing is Generations in theaters

- My parents were Trekkies, they introduced me to it at a young age

- Oh gawd..er..I was probably less then a year old

You know, how everyone has some memory from their childhood which sticks out in thier minds? Yeah, well mine is going to see Generations in theaters when I was a little over 2 years old. Then, till I actually started watching Trek on my own..I would have these weird flashbacks to Kirk and Picard fighting Soran, and I had absolutely no idea what it was from or who they were.

When I was growing up, I didnt watch ST much. I was a little anime geek back then. Even though my parents introduced me to it at a young age, I just didnt pay a large amount of attention to it. When I was about 8 or so, I started watching TNG a lot, but as a hobby more then anything, I was still very much into anime at the time... and then..I saw TOS. I suppose that was back about 6 years ago, and I instantly fell in love with Trek. After being into TOS for a while, I started checking out DS9, VOY, and ENT even though I only liked Voyager out of the three.

However, my Trek fandom was allways in the background. I didnt know anyone else who enjoyed it, so I never became really serious about it. Then, last year when G-4 started airing ST all the time, my friend Emily became seriously obsessed with TNG, and finally having someone to talk to, I became more open about it.

So, now I dont mind doing the fanart or making costumes. I mean, I had thought very seriously about doing ST cosplay for multiple conventions, but I never wanted to because I didnt have a companion. In the last year alone I've worked on 4 ST costumes because Emi agreed to cosplay with me...or in her case..crossplay.

I was just sorta..raise to be a Trekkie. Considering my childhood, its no surprise I like the things I do XD

What an interesting topic :happy: Anyway...

• I got myself into it, all by accident. I have like two close male friends who watch the odd episode but neither are really into it as much as me. Though they do impress me with there Trek know how.
  • I'd watched Generations and caught bits of some TNG episodes and DS9, but the first full episode I saw (or almost full episode) was the season 6 Voyager episode Collective.
  • From what I'd seen I thought Trek was ok, but I really wasn't hooked until Voyager, and just kept watching and picking up other bits and pieces from the other shows.
  • I must have been about...15 I would guess as I was in high school, I remember that and most of my friends thought it was weird that I really got into Voyager, though some of my close friends tried to take an interest and watch the odd episode.

Well here's the story, I'd seen Generations, thought it was pretty good but left it at that, that was years ago. Then one night I was flicking through the channels looking for something to watch, now as you can imagine only having 5 channels meant that my search for something to watch was rather limited. So I found Voyager was on and thought 'what the heck I'll give it a try' so I watched it and thought 'hey that was pretty good, I'll have to remeber to watch it again next week' and I did and the next week and the next week. By the end of Voyager's 6th season I was hooked and I'd only caught a couple of episodes.

So after that I stared to collect the tapes from the first seasons and got caught up pretty quickly. And the rest, as they say, is history ;)

Got to admit that I didn't realise that one TV show could have such an impact on my life. When I started making Vogaer music videos it really got me into editing and was the final push I needed to take Media production at Uni and I totally blame Trek for me being gay (yeah I know that sounds strange, but work with me here :huh2: ) because if I hadn't got the biggest crush on B'Elanna Torres and Dax then I would never have realised...well ok I would have sooner or later but that's how it happened. I suppose everybody has to have an interesting feature to their coming out story, mine just happens to be Trek :laugh:

Interesting indeed! I just wish I could remember! :P:laugh:

• Got into it all by myself. Started watching and never stopped.
  • Some episode of TNG, but I can't remember which one. For years it was only TNG, until I once caught DS9 playing. Became a fan instantly.
  • Boredom mixed with a slice of chance? I dunno.
  • I guess I was 8 or 9. By the age of 10 I was hooked.

Question: Who got you into Trek and who else in your real life is into it?

My mom did. She once had my dad tape Star Trek II from it being shown on tv in 1985. I ws 5 at the time, I was a little bored no where to go nothing to do. My best friend at the time Chris was away on vication, I sat with my mom and watch this movie. I was bored until a certain Consitution class ship named Enterprise rolled on the tv screen I liked the Enterprise. Since then I liked the films. I first saw The Next Generation a few years later with the episode "Where No One Has Gone Before". Since I grew up with TNG and started watching DS9 with The Search.

Now at 25 no one I really know watches Star Trek anymore or they talk about it. There is only one that'd talk to me about it. Its a fellow at work, hes more into Star Wars now since he gave up on the show after Enterprise came into existance. He hates Enterprise, he asked what season 4 was like and he said that he liked the look of "In a Mirror, Darkly", It was was in my opinion the best Enterprise episode there is. We both agreed that TATV was bad.

Question: What was the first bit of Trek you watched?

The first bit of Star Trek? I watched Where No One Has Gone Before and ater started watching DS9 and TNG mostly. I watched all of them at least 16 times from 1988-2006.

Question: Why did you watch your first bit of Trek and beyond?

Read the first two questions.

Question: [*]When did you first watch Trek?

October 1984.

Who got you into Trek and who else in your real life is into it?

- My ex boyfriend. He kept talking about how Picard had influenced his life (he's a pilot) and how much he enjoyed Kirk's adventures when he was a kid. At first I just rolled my eyes and told him that I wasn't interested in Star Trek, I only knew Picard, Riker, Worf, Spock and Kirk back then and I wasn't really that enthusiastic... he kept nagging me about it and one day I gave in and watched a TNG episode that was on TV just to make him shut up. It got me hooked instantly, I loved the story and the characters, especially Riker (I'm serious *lol*). :blush:

In RL, only my best guy friend is into Star Trek. He likes TOS and Spock - he's more into the novels, though. He also likes TNG and DS9, but TOS is his fave Trek. Aside from him, I've met a few Trek fans in person... usually TNG fans.

What was the first bit of Trek you watched?

- That was the first scene of TNG's 'Cause And Effect', I think...

Why did you watch your first bit of Trek and beyond?

- I was 'forced' to do it, but I voluntarily continued watching it. *grin* And well... when I finally started noticing that Riker wasn't really the kind of man I like and that there was this small, bald guy, I somehow found myself unable to stop watching it. :P

When did you first watch Trek?

- In 2002.

its stared on sep8,1966 :Enterprise:

i was 8 years, 5 months old then

...........my mom put my sister and i to bed before star trek came on, well my sister and i we couldn't sleep, we got up and went into the kitchen, suck into part of the living room and sat watching this show about space the final frontier theses are the voyages of the star ship enterprise.

my mom got up out of her chair found us sneaking around the corner watching star trek, she put us to bed a second time. told us if we got up again she get the belt and spank us, we dint care because we took the belt and hide itso she couldnot hit us with it. we went back and suck in and watch star trek,she told us we can stay up if we go to bed afterwards . my mom to this day still cant find that belt

we got out of bed every night star trek was on, my mom gave up and let up on the sofa and watch star trek, if we fell asleep she put us back in bed. i watch the reruns when they first came out also Ive seen every episode of trek from all five series. every star trek movie to this date.

so i would say my mom got me into trek

my mom is a fan

my younger sister is a fan

my brother is a fan captain archer

my son rayboy is a fan

I'm a fan captain spock

where no man has gone before was my first episode seen

I have my older brother to thank for getting me into Star Trek, but he didn't make me a Star Trek fan. It's complicated. We started watching TNG when it first came on, but I only watched it in passing as if it were just another show on TV. Later on, after he moved out of the house and TNG started airing in syndication, I became more involved, but I was still just watching it as a show that was interesting to watch. Before that I have some vague memories of seeing a few episodes of TOS and watching the TOS movies, but it was really still just something to watch and not all that it is to me now.

So then one night I was drawing or something and my attention to the TV had slipped and the show I was watching went off. Without realizing it, Deep Space Nine came on. It was the episode Heart of Stone. I watched that episode as intently as anything I had ever seen and knew instantly that this was something altogether different from TNG. Odo and Kira had a relationship that wasn't really anything we had seen on Trek before and the two of them together on screen was so powerful that it didn't matter I didn't know anything about them. Their entire story came across in that one episode and to this day I still consider Heart of Stone to be one of my favorites.

Over the next few months as the 3rd season ended and they began replaying some of the season in repeats, I became obsessed with DS9. I can distinctly remember seeing the Defiant decloak for the first time and sitting there with my mouth hanging open in awe. Between the third and forth seasons I tried to find every shred of info on the show (a task made all the more difficult since this was long before I was active online) and can remember being extremely excited when I began to watch season four.

After that, I began watching Trek like my life depended on it. I went and saw Generations as soon as it opened, began taping episodes to watch over and over, and began buying up Trek memorabilia as fast as I could get my hands on it. So from the end of season 3 of DS9 on, I was a Star trek Fan.

I don't really know anyone in real life that likes Star Trek as much as I do. My family, even my brother who turned me onto to it, really only ever watched it in passing if they even watch it at all. I did have a friend in high school who was really into Voyager and we even went to a convention, but his fandom still didn't approach mine. So thankfully, we have this amazing interweb (which we all know is a series of tubes) where Star Trek fans all over the world can get together to prove just how much of a geek they are. lol

Here's my answers:

Answer: I think my step mother did.

Answer: TOS....sometimes when my Dad and step mom comes to visit and watches an episode of TOS, I'm sitting there watching as well.

Why did you watch your first bit of Trek and beyond

Answer: It was making me get interested in watching it

Answer: Just after TNG started...a few episodes later that is...didn't miss a bit lol There was re runs though so I was able to see the ones I missed

* Who got you into Trek and who else in your real life is into it?

I saw he motion Picture. Nobody else in my house is really into it, but they watch casually.

* What was the first bit of Trek you watched?

TMP.

* Why did you watch your first bit of Trek and beyond?

that's a long story. our 6th grade science class was studing the pahses of the moon, and I had done that before in elementary school. so we asked for alternate assignments I could do. one was to watch a science fiction movie and anilizse wether or not it was plausable. I was initally going to do Star WArs, since I knew the movie, but my mom encouraged me to watch something I hadn't seen before. that turned out to be Star trek The motion Picture. After that, I was hooked. I watched all the TOS movies and wathced the show whenever it came on.

* When did you first watch Trek?

that would be 6th grade.... or in years.... Y2K. 2000. roughly.

I watched a little TNG when it first came on then i got obsessed! :P

Very fascinating... :vulcan:

It seems to me a common thread runs through most, if not all, of these stories.

Someone else fascilitates initiation, initial passing interest turns to obsession, followed typically with a lack of 'real life' fellow fans, in other words physical isolation, making the internet the only outlet for Trek fandom.

:vulcan:

Good stories. Keep 'em coming. :thumbsup2:

I think I was probably 5 when I snuck out of bed to watch the original series shows over my father's shoulder from my bedroom door. I remember the ghost ladies song and the long faced alien from Corbomite Maneuver. I think my dad knew I was sneaking but he never let on because mom would have said that those icky shows would give me nightmares.

Years later in college my boyfriend was a big Kirk fan and sat me down to watch the TOS movies in order. We had a big marathon and it was great!! That was when I really became a fan on my own.

Then when my sister came to live with me she introduced me to the current show Voyager. We obsessed over Janeway and spent hours analysing the shows for the hidden lessons. We started writing fan fiction and that is when I got interested in continuity and trivia. The obsession has only grown over the years since then.

Now I share my fandom with my son and my sister. Everyone else thinks I am loony. It is so nice to have this community to enjoy fun and fandom with.

Lack of real life friends..

I usually entertain myself actually, which is why I dont have many chums. That's probably the result of being an only child raised by a historian and a college proffesor who also happen to be geeks. Perhaps thats why I allways related to the line "I'm so happy 'cause today I found my friends. Their in my head" from Lithium. :confused:

My one trekkie friend and I are attempting to..."assimilate" another friend of ours. She's a LotR, anime and X-files nut, so its not a far stretch. I watched the 1st episode of VOY with her, and tWoK. Ressistance is futile. :dance:

well, I got my Aunt started... she has a friend who's a big trekkie, and thought that since I was we could have him over and watch a movie. I decided TWoK was the best intro movie and suggested that we watch space seed first. She really liked it. so much in fact, that I offered to let her borrow season 1. So that's why I'm starting Audio caps with season 2....

* Who got you into Trek and who else in your real life is into it?

My parents; and they're still into trek. Torina obviously is as well.

* What was the first bit of Trek you watched?

TOS, episode unknown. I had seen most of them by the time TNG came out.

* Why did you watch your first bit of Trek and beyond?

Because it was there. Then again I grew up in a Sci-fi/fantasy house. My first real 'book' was The Hobbit, around 3yrs old.

* When did you first watch Trek?

I remember the family getting together to watch Encounter at Farpoint on day one of TNG. Before that, it was TOS recorded off TV syndication.

Who: Nobody. I happened to watch it for the first time by accident - I just run onto it while switching the TV channels and it seemed interesting.

What: TNG episode 3 - "The Naked now". Fist ST character I saw was Data, looking rather curious and disbelieving on the fact of someone freezing in the shower - funniest thing I've ever seen :) I'll never forget that look - it was I think what made me not to switch the next TV prog (and later I've been very gratefull to my English teacher at that time - for I was a 12 years-old girl, never spoken with a native English-speaking person, but I DID UNDERSTOOD WHAT THE FUNNY WHITE MAN WAS SAYING!!! :laugh::laugh: )

Why: Curiosity maybe, at first. And as I started watching each episode, I really liked the stories and the humanism in them. I've always been keen on Sci-Fi, even before I watched ST.

When: February of 1992.

My brother is the closest person to me that fances Star Trek too. I got him into the swarm, ofcourse :laugh::biggrin::cool: But also I know loads of people here - fans of ST, especially those with whom I'm planning on creating the first dedicated ST group in my country.

Pam, you're joking, right? :laugh: I don't think you're a loony, I don't think anyone here is, I don't think I am!!! I'm a normal person - I study hard, I do to work, I hang out with friends, I go to the disco, I love night parties... What's the big deal? I don't understand why we're so in the way of other people! After all, what we fancy is not their bussiness at all! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Denise :alien:

My older brother. We used to watch TV together after school everyday, and I'd always want to watch some cartoon and he'd try to put on reruns of Trek. I hated sci-fi without knowing what it was at the time, and we'd fight almost every afternoon. Finally one day he refused to give in to me and I sullenly watched an episode of TNG with him. After a few episodes, I wasn't arguing with him anymore. :)

My sister's sort of into it, and my dad as well. My mom will watch just because the rest of the family is. If I'm lucky, I can convince my boyfriend to watch a few eps with me here and there. I don't have any other friends that would even consider watching Trek though.

I vaguely remember watching reruns of TOS with my dad. Other than that it was just TNG reruns. I think the first TNG episode I watched was "The Dauphin".

No-one told me about startrek, i discovered it by myself,the first trek i watched was st2,the wrath of khan,before that i have seen bits and pieces of episodes from the tos.why, i fell in love with this thing called star trek.

I was born in 1966. In Spain the original series appeared (is well wrote?) in the middle of 70's. So I watched TOS with 9 or 10 years old and in black and white!! :P .All my family watched the tv.My husband and lot of my friends are into it.

My first trek was an episode of TOS that i don't remember but Spock was my favorite character since these times...

I saw TNG in 90's, "Encounter at Farpoint" don't like me very much and ...no vulcans there!!! Later, I saw all episodes hehehe...

But here is very difficoult watch something of Star Trek. In my country Trek fandom is minority. I'm waiting for Enterprise S4 yet... :(

Who got you into Trek and who else in your real life is into it? My dad and beside him I know no one that watched Trek.

What was the first bit of Trek you watched? Some episode of TNG, don't remember the exact episode but I do remember the Enterprise was stuck in some kind of trap.

Why did you watch your first bit of Trek and beyond? My dad refuse to change the channel and I kept watching it because it's got my intrested.

When did you first watch Trek? about 15 years ago.

In honor of 40 years of Star Trek, I'm curious about how you became a Trekkie...
  • Who got you into Trek and who else in your real life is into it?
  • What was the first bit of Trek you watched?
  • Why did you watch your first bit of Trek and beyond?
  • When did you first watch Trek?

-My parents and Relatives got me into it. Because my area is very conservative for the last few years, and Trek teaches liberal values, not many other people that I know.

-First bit was in 1987 when Encounter at Farpoint showed.

-Because it showed that it really doesn't matter who or what you are, just as long as you are good at doing something. Trek showed a crew that was racially integrated, and it didn't matter whether of not you were homo or straight, disabled, etc.

I got myself into Trek, but my parents like it as well. They aren't into as much as I am though

Star Trek: The Motion Picture and the first episode I watched was TNG: "Tapestry"

Why did you watch your first bit of Trek and beyond?

After watching TMP, I was hooked.

about three or four years ago

How I became a Trek fan was all by accident. Around the Spring of 2002 or 2003, I was finished with my college classes for the day so I decided to go to Wal-Mart and see what new DVDs were there before I went home. I do this all of the time. When I arrived at Wal-Mart, I automatically went to the DVD/VHS part of the store.

I noticed that they had a box marked $2.99 each that had VHS movies in them. As I searched through the video tapes, I saw that they had both 'Star Trek: The Motion Picture' and 'Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan' for only $2.99 each. I knew that my parents liked Star Trek, so I decided to go ahead and buy the movies so I could see what this "Star Trek" was all about. I also knew how popular it was, and I knew that it had to be popular for a reason. And at only $2.99 each, I knew that it wouldn't be a total waste of money if I ended up not liking it since it was so cheap.

I went home and watched the first movie. I don't know what it was about it, but I was really hooked. Then I watched Khan the next day and I was even more into it! Then fate stepped in. The following week after I watched these movies; TNN aired 'Star Trek III: The Search for Spock', 'Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home' and 'Star Trek V: The Final Frontier'. After watching the first five movies, I was really really into Trek. I decided to watch TNG and the first episode I saw was Tapestry. I became a fan. And the story has been going since.

My mom got me into Trek when I was really little. I don't ever remember not watching it. My mom and aunt Cesha both enjoy it with me and sometime my dad and stepmom watch DS9 or TNG with me. The first Trek I remember watching was Voyage Home but mom says I used to watch Voyager when I was a baby too.

Now I am more of a Star Wars fan but I still enjoy the home recorded videos of Voyager and TNG that mom and I watch on pizza nights.

Ian