Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Denial of Recast Rumors

27 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Anyone else have this month's Star Trek Magazine handy?

Because on Page 8, amidst other quotes we have seen on-line, there is one key thing that I'm wondering how in the hell everyone missed!

Under the Headline of the Article 'Blank Slate' it states 'New Film Producers Deny Kirk and Spock Recasting Rumors' and then goes on to say such as "they (producers) say the film will not be recreating the (original) series in the way Battlestar Galactica has been re-imagined, but instead will be extrapolating on events in the Star Trek franchise as it currently exists."

In response to the reboot stuff, Abrams himself said, "This is not a case of coming in and being so clever that you're going to reinvent everything. It's a case of coming in and using the stuff you know is great... not violating anything that's come before it. Being involved with a series that has a passionate and vocal following makes me incredibly sympathetic. They (the fans) have put up with so many incarnations along the way. These fans are a smart bunch. They are an intelligent group. We are very respectful and we have no intention of subverting the material."

...That certainly lowers my personal alert level from red to yellow! ;)

I mean, they're saying, 'No Reboot' and deny the Kirk and Spock recast rumors... they say we'll see new faces and some familiar... which we've heard before, but now, in light of the 'no recasting' statement... do you think...? Maybe...? Could they intend to use some of the TOS cast, or other TOS-era individuals? :vulcan:

Posted · Report post

Thank goodness... no more Matt Damon as James T. Kirk... :loopy::)

I missed it too, you know, and I've had the magazine days! It was slipped in a little subtley, don't you think (except being under the section about the new film... ah, that'll be it then...)?

Posted · Report post

Oh, crap... I was really looking forward to a re-boot.

Posted · Report post

*whew*

flamingjester4fj.gif

Posted · Report post

all I can say is... I told ya so. remember that little article that seemed to assure people that this was a reboot? I said I dint' belive it. I guess I was right.

I'm still betting on an april movie...

Posted · Report post

Well that certainly is a relief.

I couldnt stand the idea of a reboot, its nice to hear that. There's still a huge possibility that it will be awful, but at least its not a reboot.

Actually, that piece of information restored my hope in XI.

Posted · Report post

As I've said a few times before this maybe set on board the Enterprise 1701 before Kirk took command, remember Kirk took command of the Enterprise in 2265? The Enterprise had two commander before him. I'd say character wise it could mean we could see people that have been mentioned in TOS, I'd say wait and see what happens. There is a film yes its more of a peek around the door to see if Star Trek can get off its sick bed and stand after what Berman and Braga did. I don't agree that they should bring in fans from Lost, thats all we need is people who come and know little to nothing of Trek's past. It will just do what happened with Enterprise, it will go to hell and put Trek under the water.

Posted · Report post

The only issue with the film being based pre-Kirk is the teaser poster artwork, which clearly shows gold and blue uniforms, equivilant to Kirk and Spock. Before Kirk took command - even in the beginning of his command - they still word 'The Cage' style uniforms. And they where beige and sky blue, not gold and default blue.

One key statement is 'extrapolating on events that already exist' or whatever they said, which sounds to me like filling in a hole. Now it would be, in my mind, intelligent to fill in April, but the uniform art of the poster... *shrugs*

Without recasting, options are limitted. Unless of course, time travel...

Posted · Report post

or just forgetting that the pike uniforms existed, like tha tlamp on the captins chair.

not to mention that the only brodcast episode we saw aired after others showing the proper uniforms, without even getting the rank braids right. the only other time we see those is in Spock's trial.

The tricolor uniforms and correct rank braids whould be the uniform I would use If I did an april movie, but I wouldn't keep all of the bridge color. that would change some to establish a difffernt captin, but the uniforms tie it in to the same era.

it's not a biggie, and that' would be the best way. This is also on the big screen, so you're going to make them right as well- the pike uniforms wold just look ugly on the big screen. heck, they look ugly on TV.

I'm also betting on a 2 part tunic and undershit. Look at the naked time... But everybody gets a good one.

Posted · Report post

Every starship had a different insignia though, right?

Posted · Report post

Yeah. this is definaly an enterprise movie. and no recast, seeing as kirk is taken by shatner and jeffry hunter (pike ) is dead, who else but April?

Posted · Report post

Sweet, his intentions are much more clear and appreciable now!

Posted · Report post

Please remember that the magazinbe was printed a while ago, and some information may have been updated already.

Posted · Report post

I doubt that it's changed completley thouh...

Posted · Report post

The only issue with the film being based pre-Kirk is the teaser poster artwork, which clearly shows gold and blue uniforms, equivilant to Kirk and Spock. Before Kirk took command - even in the beginning of his command - they still word 'The Cage' style uniforms. And they where beige and sky blue, not gold and default blue.

One key statement is 'extrapolating on events that already exist' or whatever they said, which sounds to me like filling in a hole. Now it would be, in my mind, intelligent to fill in April, but the uniform art of the poster... *shrugs*

Without recasting, options are limitted. Unless of course, time travel...

The color of the poster isn't always a clue. It could to keep all of us guessing.

Posted · Report post

Judging from the previous movie posters (ie Enterprise firing on the Regula 1 station, inaccurate enterprise) and all the recent graphic design on the DVDs (ie Jem Ha'dar ships flying the wrong way, upside down ent-b on wrong movie...) I think it safe to say that the movie poster could be just a simple oversight.

Personnaly I would like to see capt april. Remember, the colors and the insignia on the poster were simply used to establish the time period the movie will take place in and the enterprise's patch is the most recognizable insignia from that era. Doesn't make much since to use a new insignia on a teaser poster as something that isn't instantly recognizable wouldn't make an affective poster, so theres really no telling what we'll end up seeing.

Posted · Report post

In response to the reboot stuff, Abrams himself said, "This is not a case of coming in and being so clever that you're going to reinvent everything. It's a case of coming in and using the stuff you know is great... not violating anything that's come before it. Being involved with a series that has a passionate and vocal following makes me incredibly sympathetic. They (the fans) have put up with so many incarnations along the way. These fans are a smart bunch. They are an intelligent group. We are very respectful and we have no intention of subverting the material."

Maybe somebody should send this to Ron Moore!

Is this a true report by Abrams?

Posted · Report post

^ It's from the Official Trek Magazine so I would hope it is true lol

TrekToday has an interesting quote from this article... They must have been quoting you instead Doug lol

Posted · Report post

^ It's from the Official Trek Magazine so I would hope it is true lol

TrekToday has an interesting quote from this article... They must have been quoting you instead Doug lol

Prolly. :laugh: Though I made it clear what was from the article and what was from me, so, can't see why.

I did hear from some friends of mine, who told me though the reboot rumors are being quashed, they're still hearing recast rumors. Not Damon recast, more New Voyages-type recast -- trying to find actors who look the part, can play the character properly, much like has been done with Superman and such for decades.

That's just what I hear, mind you. What I read through the Magazine is 'Deny Recast Rumors' and the flat-out denial of the reboot in nBSG style...

Posted · Report post

Maybe Abrams and his folks don't know for sure yet what they are going to do, and they are just giving out bits of information to test the reaction among fans.

First they claim it will be a reboot, then they check out what fans think about it -- then they say it won't, reading all the discussions people like us have about it.

Maybe they are really just testing the reaction and have no clear-cut plan yet.

Posted · Report post

When I first saw the teaser poster for STXI my first thought was that Paramount was going to finally do the "Kirk & Spock at the Academy" movie that Paramount's brass has wanted to do since 1988 ( ST:V was originally to be that movie) and that has been the bane of fans ever since. But Abrams comments reassure me that that's not going to happen. The man has done an amazing job with Lost (not to mention all his other stuff) and has always kept his word when it comes to announcing intentions and directions of whatever he's working on. I've long thought that the next ST movie should feature characters and concepts from all the various series, or at least from the modern series, since they all occour in the same time frame. Who wouldn't love to see a meeting of Worf and B'ellana Torres? Or a Picard-Sisko-Janeway team-up? The loose threads of DS9 alone provide more than enough material for a great film, and with the wealth of characters, races, concepts and ongonig plot arcs, they could make the greatest ST film of all time. Personally, I'd be satisfied with something entertaining, competent, and respectful to the Trek legacy and there proabably isn't anyone alive who can do better than Abrams.

Posted · Report post

Because of the rumours about the recasting of kirk and spock got out,maybe the producers want to kill those rumors so that they can focus on the movie and we will be shocked when we foind out it is a kirk\spock movie.

Posted · Report post

Because of the rumours about the recasting of kirk and spock got out,maybe the producers want to kill those rumors so that they can focus on the movie and we will be shocked when we foind out it is a kirk\spock movie.

There are always... possibilities. :vulcan:;)

Posted · Report post

No it's not such a crazy idea. I mean after the demise of Enterprise (a prequel) they make a prequel movie. It makes no sense. Taking my information from several polls on several forums I can only conclude that almost nobody really wants a Kirk & Spock movie (or a early Kirk movie). And the reboot rumors, actors not fit for the role humors, all of these things make no sense. So I think there's actually a chance that they'll do such a thing.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0