Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

IDW Cancels JJ TREK Comics in March

IDW Cancels JJ TREK Comic Book STAR TREK BOLDLY GO in March to Make Room for DISCOVERY Books

“I.D.I.C.” Part 6 of 6! It’s the series finale of Star Trek: Boldly Go, and the climactic final chapter of the epic “I.D.I.C.” saga! James Tiberius Kirk faces the greatest challenge of his life… and the fate of infinite realities hangs in the balance! Is the franchise done with the JJ timeline ?

27657158_10215745917380114_9004719985871

Gus

5 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Probably.

Unfortunately.

Agreed.  Shame Beyond may have ended things, they hit a spark for me, too bad it won't get to build on that.  Into Darkness was too stagnant in it's storytelling (essentially retelling the same plot as 2009) and too dumb in it's execution...and I think it turned off most classic diehards, even those that had gone along with 2009...and it left the average movie goer thinking it was a franchise going nowhere, or at least not being too excited to continue. I think Into Darkness stifled a ton of interest in the rejuvenated franchise, not to mention that people waited a couple years to get a sequel that didn't do anything too new.  It gave Beyond little chance to maintain hype....then the behind the scenes troubles and weak marketing...not to mention another long wait for a sequel. People had already waited a few years for a new Trek, and it underwhelmed, now they are supposed to wait a few more years for another...why bother?

Beyond came along and actually builds on the new universe 2009 launched...it gave growth to these new versions of the characters, making them less caricatures and more like the folks we know from TOS, though still updated and not betraying the changes made in 2009.  If they were able to continue this version of the franchise with people like Jung, Pegg, and Lin behind the scenes and this likable cast in front of the camera? You'd have a film franchise that could bounce back.  Especially if moderately budgeted. 

Honestly with the current backlash that is hitting Tarantino, I see that project falling apart before it gets much further.  If Paramount wants to be able to maintain any kind of film franchise rights, they are going to have to probably make a movie and make it work.  Starting over seems like a weird move at this point.  There seems little point in recasting the Kirk gang yet again, especially with a willing cast that still has some star power and youth among them...and I doubt recasting the TNG crew or any other cast would bode huge box office returns that this cast would not.  I also think launching a new crew could be maybe interesting but doubtful to be a surefire hit.  And as interesting as it could be to make a new film starring the TNG crew (not recasting but Stewart and co.) I find that highly doubtful as well.  Only pleasing to diehards...and if I'm honest that crew never really translated THAT well to the big screen. 

To me it seems Paramount is going to be needing a solution. I think giving the Kelvin crew another go may be their best option to keep the film franchise alive, but if Paramount is writing them off (to their own detriment...what else is new), then who knows where they go from here.  Continuing with Tarantino seems gross, recasting TOS again would be moronic, bringing back other old crews seems unlikely, recasting the other crews also seems like it wouldn't reinvent the franchise...and a new crew in a timeline or future era could be interesting but an iffy choice to launch Trek with new unknown people in a film with limited time to figure out how to introduce new characters AND have a cohesive plot. If CBS is succeeding in any way with Discovery (and it appears that they are), then Paramount is going to want to hold onto their film rights, which as I understand it now is actually licensed from CBS who owns the Star Trek brand.  If it is a license within this complex rights issue...then that license will expire at some point...and if Paramount is still floundering to make a film series, they could lose that license...though if Viacom and CBS re-merge...who knows. 

More on topic I suppose...I should read this Boldly Go Comic series though. I read Issue #1 and thought it was pretty decent, captured the tone of Beyond and seemed to be telling new stories, rather than the "Remake TOS episodes with the new cast" earlier ones that left me cold. 

Sign in to follow this