Sign in to follow this  
Enterprise Discovery

Episode 1.15 “Will You Take My Hand?” Discussion Thread

5 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Maybe they were that one person who insisted on tape technology for use in starships of the future...and a return of the 5.5 inch floppy disc.

I shure hope his 8-track collection didn't get blowed up. :)

You know the floppies of TOS have been used in Discovery, I seem to recall a more translucent disc being used in some episodes here and there. 

If the bridge fills with smoke, no one can SEE a freaking touchscreen, but if the helmsman has been using their station for a long time, they'd be able to push the right buttons to get them away, just by feel.

11 minutes ago, kenman said:

I also think a touchscreen may not be apt for EVERY species.  Who's to say Lt. Arex doesn't have the wrong textured hands for the average touchscreen.  Or that M'Ress' paws struggle with such a device. 

Seems to me that paws would have an easier time with touchscreens than buttons and knobs.  

And I’m sure I’ve seen a cat video or two where a feline uses a smartphone or iPad. :laugh:

Just now, Corylea said:

If the bridge fills with smoke, no one can SEE a freaking touchscreen, but if the helmsman has been using their station for a long time, they'd be able to push the right buttons to get them away, just by feel.

^
There you go again...making a damn good point. :giggle:

It’s one of the reasons that NASA astronauts actually insisted on toggle switches over push buttons in spacecraft cockpits for many years; they were easier to feel with gloved hands.   But touch screens were in use during the last few shuttle flights for some of the flight deck operations; and they’re also currently in wide use aboard the ISS. 

1 minute ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Seems to me that paws would have an easier time with touchscreens than buttons and knobs.  

And I’m sure I’ve seen a cat video or two where a feline uses a smartphone or iPad. :laugh:

Really?  I've not seen that, but I'm not one for cat videos. I would think the dexterierty that seems required for these Trek touch screens could be a real pain if you were a cat person.  These people are flipping their fingers all around. It looks neat, but if I were a catperson I'd be pretty annoyed that I didn't have the same range to use the basic equipment of my job as some human who designed it.

That said, working with computers in TV I've often said, Engineers design sstuff for other engineers, rarely thinking about anyone actually using it practically. 

3 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

How bout a slimy tentacle that slimes up the touchscreen.

13 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

I shure hope his 8-track collection didn't get blowed up. :)

Which is why I’m sure Zefram kept a disc copy of Steppenwolf... just in case.  :P

2 minutes ago, kenman said:

Really?  I've not seen that, but I'm not one for cat videos.

:P

2 minutes ago, scenario said:

How bout a slimy tentacle that slimes up the touchscreen.

I can only imagine the poor relief officer that has to take over their station after the tentacled officer's shift... yech! 

Hey Vie! I just popped over to twitter for a second, and Trek core was tweeting some canon connections between the finale and other Treks...and it seems that next to Clint Howard's Orion scumbag character, there is a bowl of some orange drink similar to that of his bowl of Tranya!  That is both a top notch subtle background reference...and it made me think of you.

13 minutes ago, kenman said:

Hey Vie! I just popped over to twitter for a second, and Trek core was tweeting some canon connections between the finale and other Treks...and it seems that next to Clint Howard's Orion scumbag character, there is a bowl of some orange drink similar to that of his bowl of Tranya!  That is both a top notch subtle background reference...and it made me think of you.

giphy.gif 

I need to see that again... :laugh:

8 hours ago, Locutus said:

Personally, I’m pretty nervous about the casting unless it is Zach Quinto.  I’ve come to accept him as Spock with Nimoy’s blessing.  To have yet another actor play him would be risky.  But if they entirely shy away from showing him, well, that’s just cowardly.

Todd Haberkorn from Continues has “prime timeline” cred and has a look that could be spun as “younger Spock”. Not that Zachary Quinto wasn’t excellent, but Mr Haberkorn is a viable alternative. 

5 hours ago, Yorick said:

but Mr Haberkorn is a viable alternative. 

He is, though I doubt he'd be selected simply because it would be seen by CBS as an explicit endorsement of "Continues."

WHEW. This episode.

I'm going to set aside the season arc for ... well, ever. It wasn't great, but considering the show's various production issues, and the history of all Trek series post-TOS of having so-so to bad first seasons, whatever. It's in the books, it can be referenced, but I think S2 should be a fresh start for this production staff and the course they want to chart for the series.

What I definitely want to discuss is that new Enterprise. Had to sleep on it to determine how I felt, but I like it. Good amount of TOS details with TMP lines (and, in terms of design evolution, it makes the Connie Refit look less like a complete rebuild than a further refining, IMO). I've seen a lot of discussion both ways about the ship, but I think it represents the best possible outcome for an introduction to a definite canon ship within this timeline (wherever this timeline is).

This is a pretty ship I think.

aiQwO55.jpg

11 hours ago, Yorick said:

Todd Haberkorn from Continues has “prime timeline” cred and has a look that could be spun as “younger Spock”. Not that Zachary Quinto wasn’t excellent, but Mr Haberkorn is a viable alternative. 

As much as I love Star Trek: Continues, I would really hate to see Haberkorn inhabit the character in Star Trek: Discovery.  I don't really think he is a viable alternative, especially considering that Quinto would probably be excited to jump into the role again.

17 hours ago, scenario said:

And put me in the camp that doesn't want to see Spock. Or maybe use him as the McGuffin. Spock and the landing party are missing and the Enterprise needs help to rescue them. When they finally rescue him he is badly hurt and says maybe one or two words and is hauled off to sick bay. So we see him but he doesn't get to do much. 

Using Spock as a McGuffin, as the object of rescue or the missing man (like "Unification") is perhaps one way in which I could be fine with them not really showing Spock, because he still features prominently in the story.  But to have him injured in sickbay or off on some other mission just so they don't have to deal with him would be pretty weak in my opinion.  He needs to be an element of the plot.  You can't have Burnham be related to the character, put the Enterprise up on screen knowing full well that all the fans realize he should be serving under Pike, and then dodge having the two characters share a story.  I mean, what's the point of even having the Enterprise up there on screen then?

Edited by Locutus

1 hour ago, Locutus said:

As much as I love Star Trek: Continues, I would really hate to see Haberkorn inhabit the character in Star Trek: Discovery.  I don't really think he is a viable alternative, especially considering that Quinto would probably be excited to jump into the role again.

Using Spock as a McGuffin, as the object of rescue or the missing man (like "Unification") is perhaps one way in which I could be fine with them not really showing Spock, because he still features prominently in the story.  But to have him injured in sickbay or off on some other mission just so they don't have to deal with him would be pretty weak in my opinion.  He needs to be an element of the plot.  You can't have Burnham be related to the character, put the Enterprise up on screen knowing full well that all the fans realize he should be serving under Pike, and then dodge having the two characters share a story.  I mean, what's the point of even having the Enterprise up there on screen then?

I could see a two part episode where the Discovery helps the Enterprise rescue First Officer Spock. You see a shot of the bridge which shows a bridge similar to the classic Enterprise. Then the only other part of the Enterprise you see is a conference room. Then they rescue Spock. There is a five minute scene at the end where Spock and Sarek are coldly formal and Burnham is a polite go between. Then a short scene of Spock and Burnham where Spock says something to the effect that he knew that she would do big things in Star Fleet. Or something else logical and unemotional but inspirational to Burnham. 

21 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

It’s one of the reasons that NASA astronauts actually insisted on toggle switches over push buttons in spacecraft cockpits for many years; they were easier to feel with gloved hands.   

Ah, that's interesting!  Thanks for passing along that tidbit.

20 hours ago, kenman said:

I just popped over to twitter for a second, and Trek core was tweeting some canon connections between the finale and other Treks...and it seems that next to Clint Howard's Orion scumbag character, there is a bowl of some orange drink similar to that of his bowl of Tranya!

Ah, cool catch!  I usually pay so much attention to the people that I totally miss what's going on with the objects. :rolleyes:

So, did the bowl actually contain grapefruit juice, which is what the Tranya was made of in "The Corbomite Maneuver"? :)

18 minutes ago, Corylea said:

Ah, that's interesting!  Thanks for passing along that tidbit.

Ah, cool catch!  I usually pay so much attention to the people that I totally miss what's going on with the objects. :rolleyes:

So, did the bowl actually contain grapefruit juice, which is what the Tranya was made of in "The Corbomite Maneuver"? :)

Don't know, TrekCore just tweeted out a side by side of the bowl of Tranya in TOS, and Howard's Orion character...and on the table was a similar bowl and ladle with a similar colored drink.

2 hours ago, scenario said:

I could see a two part episode where the Discovery helps the Enterprise rescue First Officer Spock. You see a shot of the bridge which shows a bridge similar to the classic Enterprise. Then the only other part of the Enterprise you see is a conference room. Then they rescue Spock. There is a five minute scene at the end where Spock and Sarek are coldly formal and Burnham is a polite go between. Then a short scene of Spock and Burnham where Spock says something to the effect that he knew that she would do big things in Star Fleet. Or something else logical and unemotional but inspirational to Burnham. 

I wonder if Spock will be First Officer yet or if we will see “Number One”?  Presumably, they plan to have another season-long arc.  It will be interesting to see what role the Enterprise plays in launching that arc.

11 minutes ago, Locutus said:

I wonder if Spock will be First Officer yet or if we will see “Number One”?  Presumably, they plan to have another season-long arc.  It will be interesting to see what role the Enterprise plays in launching that arc.

I think it's likely to be Number One.  During "The Menagerie," Spock said the things they were seeing happened 13 years ago.  Since he said that during the first season of TOS, the Talos IV stuff should have happened about 2 years before "Will You Take My Hand."  

5 minutes ago, Corylea said:

I think it's likely to be Number One.  During "The Menagerie," Spock said the things they were seeing happened 13 years ago.  Since he said that during the first season of TOS, the Talos IV stuff should have happened about 2 years before "Will You Take My Hand."  

I’ve always assumed that Spock became first officer under Kirk, and was just a science officer under Pike; so if they’re following “Cage” continuity (even in the slightly different Discoverse) I imagine Number One will be... well, Number One (humorously referred to as “Una” in the David Mack DSC novel, “Desperate Hours”; hehe...).

I am sure it will be Number One, because it is a fairly unexplored character so they have more leeway than with Spock.  I would not be surprised if Spock is not on board or is a macguffin. They have to be hyper aware that this is a delicate character to recast. Even the Quinto version isn't universally loved (I wasn't truly convinced of him really until Beyond)...so having a competitor with Quinto's version, and another that will be compared to the icon that was Nimoy.  It is bound to rub a ton the wrong way.  It's a tough character to play. 

2 minutes ago, kenman said:

I am sure it will be Number One, because it is a fairly unexplored character so they have more leeway than with Spock.  I would not be surprised if Spock is not on board or is a macguffin. They have to be hyper aware that this is a delicate character to recast. Even the Quinto version isn't universally loved (I wasn't truly convinced of him really until Beyond)...so having a competitor with Quinto's version, and another that will be compared to the icon that was Nimoy.  It is bound to rub a ton the wrong way.  It's a tough character to play. 

Any decision they make (one way or the other) is going to rub some fan the wrong way, so I think they should just embrace it, own it, and try to get Quinto as Spock.   He did a perfectly acceptable Spock in the BR movies, and I think it’d be a nice consolation prize for those of us who want, and will most likely not see, another BR ST movie.

4 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I’ve always assumed that Spock became first officer under Kirk, and was just a science officer under Pike; so if they’re following “Cage” continuity (even in the slightly different Discoverse) I imagine Number One will be... well, Number One (humorously referred to as “Una” in the David Mack DSC novel, “Desperate Hours”; hehe...).

Could any of the rest of the Enterprise crew be there? Chekov would be to young but Scotty might have been there. Who could we get to play Scotty? Who looks enough like James Doohan to play the part? I think casting his son in a cameo would please many of the fans.

I'm (half) sorry to .... bring this up again, but ....

It is absolutely baffling how DSC can get "updating" TOS-era ships so right ... but fail so miserably in other aspects. I haven't watched the episode but I saw a post on Facebook that showed the pictures of the Enterprise. And it looks .... so amazing. It easily disproves the notion that everything in Star Trek needs to be monstrously revamped to the point where it is completely unrecognizable. Yet ... they've updated the Enterprise yet it looks so recognizable.

27973306_1862483480431097_74710420861883

27752365_1862483500431095_35610615334340

27657642_1862483503764428_45112205525146

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. Who knew it was possible to update the old design but keep it true to the original? I thought that was just a fanboy's whiny dream...

im+being+incredibly+sarcastic.gif