Sign in to follow this  
Enterprise Discovery

Episode 1.15 “Will You Take My Hand?” Discussion Thread

23 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

To give Burnam time to act obviously. :)

Travel taking exactly as long as the plot requires IS a fine old Star Trek tradition. :P  It doesn't actually make sense, but I find myself willing to overlook it; Star Trek has always required a bit of hand-waving. :)

Just now, Dillkid said:

I'm counting down the weeks until Season 2 in September.

Er, as best we know, Season 2 isn't until 2019.  Because the show is on a streaming service and doesn't fill a network time slot, it doesn't have to be ready at any particular time.

8 minutes ago, Corylea said:

Travel taking exactly as long as the plot requires IS a fine old Star Trek tradition. :P  It doesn't actually make sense, but I find myself willing to overlook it; Star Trek has always required a bit of hand-waving. :)

Er, as best we know, Season 2 isn't until 2019.  Because the show is on a streaming service and doesn't fill a network time slot, it doesn't have to be ready at any particular time.

This is the first series I have ever streamed, I just assumed it would be September again. I suppose if it helps it retain it's high quality of writing and acting it's best not to rush it. I will miss the show during it's absense though!

11 minutes ago, Corylea said:

This.

Currently the timetable is January, 2019 at the earliest.

5 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Exactly.

https://musingsofamiddleagedgeek.blog/2018/01/17/the-issue-of-star-trek-and-its-continuity/

Every incarnation of Star Trek, post-1996’s First Contact, is part of a new bifurcated version of the prime timeline.   Events in both versions loosely (or in rare cases, exactly) align, but the overall technology of the newer timeline is more sophisticated. 

Pike’s Enterprise in DSC’s universe probably visited Talos IV, and probably had other events in common, but they probably had the holographic comm systems and other higher tech innovations we see in DSC.   It wouldn’t surprise me if the DSC Enterprise's corridors and bridge module designs look similar to Discovery as well. 

Like it or not, this is a new version of Starfleet (and Federation history); a version that first began when Picard and the Enterprise-E were forced to save mid-21st century history by subtly altering it, thus creating the NX-01 version of the prime timeline that has now given rise to Discovery’s era as well.

Yes, this is how fans should look at it.

As our own, real tech advances and forces us to look at the world differently, so to should our interpretation of the future that Star Trek suggests.  That means out "mind's eye" must be willing to see those new interpretations while keeping overall canon as gold.  That seems to be what Discovery does. 

The straight pylon, skinny neck Enterprise of the TOS show simply does not fit, nor does it's bridge design and computer control.  I mean come on, the damn thing ran on tape drives.  Am I supposed to expect my kids to buy into a tape drive computer system on a modern TV show?  No.

The visual look of Trek must evolve to survive.  That sometimes means adjusting the look.  That sometimes means tossing Klingon boobs into the mix. Nothing is preventing anyone from going back and watching TOS and enjoying it for what it was. 

2 hours ago, Hammer said:

Also, was she not on Qo'noS when she made that speech? If she had pulled the trigger at that moment, she would not survive either. Could she not have just retrieved the bomb? What incentive did she have to follow through on her deal once she had control of the bomb? Does she spare honor on humans?

It's hard for me to accept as well.  I just don't see how it could end well for L'Rell.  Her conspiring with the Federation to threaten the destruction of Qo'nos in order to prevent an attack on Earth would destroy any semblance of honor she had in the eyes of her fellow Klingons.  That is at least as treacherous as the betrayal committed by the House of Duras that led to the Romulan massacre at Khitomer!

Edited by Locutus

16 hours ago, Comiskeybum said:

Such a great angle to view her at.  She seriously fits perfectly.  Every angle is perfect IMO.

ent.jpg

Almost all of DSC's external shots have a real oil painting look to them.

1 hour ago, Comiskeybum said:

As our own, real tech advances and forces us to look at the world differently, so to should our interpretation of the future that Star Trek suggests.  That means out "mind's eye" must be willing to see those new interpretations while keeping overall canon as gold.  That seems to be what Discovery does. 

The straight pylon, skinny neck Enterprise of the TOS show simply does not fit, nor does it's bridge design and computer control.  I mean come on, the damn thing ran on tape drives.  Am I supposed to expect my kids to buy into a tape drive computer system on a modern TV show?  No.

The visual look of Trek must evolve to survive.  That sometimes means adjusting the look.  That sometimes means tossing Klingon boobs into the mix. Nothing is preventing anyone from going back and watching TOS and enjoying it for what it was. 

Exactly.

I don’t think modern audiences could ever really accept this:

The_Paradise_Syndrome_094.JPG

As being the standard-bearer in a fleet of ships like this: 

37378033584_a1eb2afde0_b.jpg

As our own technology evolves, so will the sets, makeups and electronics of the show.   And yes, many of the events of ST can still be canonical, it’s just that the mind’s eye has to imagine them looking somewhat differently, that’s all.   

I’m pretty sure THIS version of the USS Enterprise...

ent.jpg

.... probably doesn’t use tape drives, lots of clunky buttons, analog dials or tabulating computers.

My guess is if they do show the Enterprise’s interior in the show, it’ll be some kind of redress of the Discovery sets. 

12 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Exactly.

As our own technology evolves, so will the sets, makeups and electronics of the show.   And yes, many of the events of ST can still be canonical, it’s just that the mind’s eye has to imagine them looking somewhat differently, that’s all.   

ent.jpg

.... probably doesn’t use tape drives, lots of clunky buttons, analog dials or tabulating computers.

My guess is if they do show the Enterprise’s interior in the show, it’ll be some kind of redress of the Discovery sets. 

A friend of mine took his son to a museum and they had a little exhibit on the history of computing. She saw a 5.5in floppy and asked him how many gigs it was. :)

So...yeah. Times change. :)

4 hours ago, Corylea said:

We usually agree with one another so much that I could be your alternate-universe self (from a nicer universe than the Mirror one, obviously) :P ... but not this time.

While I did enjoy many of the same things that you enjoyed, from the return to core Star Trek values to Clint Howard's cameo to sassy Saru to that glimpse of the ship that will always be first in my heart, I didn't find this episode nearly as satisfying as you did. 

The resolution of the Klingon war felt too easy and didn't completely make sense to me.  If the detonator is all that's keeping L'Rell in power, how come they don't jump on her and grab it or steal it from her the first time she falls asleep?  I just didn't buy it.  I was glad to see a resolution to the war, and I was glad that resolution didn't involve genocide, but my suspension of disbelief just couldn't stretch quite that far.  I'm happy to put the war behind us, but I was hoping the wrap-up would work a bit better.

We'd been hoping the writers wouldn't press the time-travel reset button, and they didn't, but I actually think I might have found that more sensible and more satisfying that what they did do.  I think I'd have found it more believable.  Well, in as much as time travel is ever believable. ;)

I also didn't think Sarek was that much more in character, considering that he SMILED at Burnham.  And he's SO happy about her being in Starfleet that he asked to be the one to give her her commander's pin back?  Blue-eyed Sarek is clearly from an alternate universe.

I eagerly look forward to addressing each of your issues as well... :P

While I wasn’t entirely happy with the end of the Klingon war, it was for somewhat different reasons.  I thought it put the whole planet into a kind of doomsday stalemate.  One false move, or radical new leader and no more Kronos.   It’s the same policy that locked the world into our present nuclear stalemate for the last 70 years.   While I accept that the Klingons are a warring culture, and that’s probably their best case scenario, I was disappointed that it was the only way out.  

As for what happens to the bomb detonator if L’Rell falls asleep?  The answer is nothing, because it was stated in dialogue (briefly, but there) that the trigger was re-coded to her DNA, just as it had been coded to mirror-Georgiou’s previously.   So it’s literally a trigger that only L'Rell can use.

As for a time-travel reset?  I’m really glad they didn’t go that route, because I thought it took more courage for the writers to actually address the mess that was made rather than look for a quick, time-travel reset button.   They got themselves into the pit, and they climbed their way out of it honestly (if a bit too quickly, I agree).    And frankly I was eager with the show to end the Klingon arc and redeem Burnham already so we can get on with telling good old Star Trek-style stories again (as "The Orville" is doing already...).

Not to mention that too much pre-Kirk era time travel really begins to unravel what little TOS canon the post-First Contact series are adhering to... ENT did quite a lot of that already with the show’s “temporal cold war.” 

As for seeing the Enterprise (and possibly Spock & Pike) next season?  I have to admit I was (very) skeptical about her showing up so soon in this young series’ history, but seeing her image on the screen and hearing the old music again over the end credits?   Well, let’s just say I got over my skepticism damn quick... :P

2 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

A friend of mine took his son to a museum and they had a little exhibit on the history of computing. She saw a 5.5in floppy and asked him how many gigs it was. :)

So...yeah. Times change. :)

Gigs... on a floppy... oh, isn’t that precious? :giggle:

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

As for what happens to the bomb detonator if L’Rell falls asleep?  The answer is nothing, because it was stated in dialogue (briefly, but there) that the trigger was re-coded to her DNA, just as it had been coded to mirror-Georgiou’s previously.   So it’s literally a trigger that only L'Rell can use.

Yes, but if they take it away from her, SHE can't use it, so the threat that's keeping them under her rule is gone.  Once that threat is gone, they can go back to business as usual, which was apparently carving up the Federation as spoils of war for the various houses.

While I wasn’t entirely happy with the end of the Klingon war, it was for somewhat different reasons.  I thought it put the whole planet into a kind of doomsday stalemate.  One false move, or radical new leader and no more Kronos.   It’s the same policy that locked the world into our present nuclear stalemate for the last 70 years.   While I accept that the Klingons are a warring culture, and that’s probably their best case scenario, I was disappointed that it was the only way out.  

That could have been part of the point, you know.  If you're going to be all aggressive and warlike, this is what comes of that.  Star Trek doesn't always show us a better way to be; sometimes it shows us the perils of the path we're on.  "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" comes to mind...

As for seeing the Enterprise (and possibly Spock & Pike) next season?  I have to admit I was (very) skeptical about her showing up so soon in this young series’ history, but seeing her image on the screen and hearing the old music again over the end credits?   Well, let’s just say I got over my skepticism damn quick... :P

I adored seeing the Enterprise and hearing a call from Captain Pike, and the TOS music over the end credits made me tear up.

I think it would be great to have a few episodes where they interact with Pike, but I really hope they don't have Spock in it, because I don't want them to mess up the Spock we already have.  Spock can be on leave, attending an astrophysics conference, or unconscious in sickbay, or temporarily lent out to another ship that needs his expertise.  There are lots of ways to get around having Spock in it while still having Pike. 

Edited by Corylea

4 minutes ago, Comiskeybum said:

Honestly.......Chris Pine looks a lot like TOS Pike.  Just saying.  

And that wouldn't be confusing at all! :P

1 hour ago, Corylea said:

I think it would be great to have a few episodes where they interact with Pike, but I really hope they don't have Spock in it, because I don't want them to mess up the Spock we already have.  Spock can be on leave, attending an astrophysics conference, or unconscious in sickbay, or temporarily lent out to another ship that needs his expertise.  There are lots of ways to get around having Spock in it while still having Pike. 

I just don’t see the point of having the Enterprise, having Pike, and then cop-out of showing Spock.  Especially with all that is there to mine with his relationship to Burnham.

Most viewers, myself included, will be seriously disappointed if they don’t have Spock.  Personally, I’m pretty nervous about the casting unless it is Zach Quinto.  I’ve come to accept him as Spock with Nimoy’s blessing.  To have yet another actor play him would be risky.  But if they entirely shy away from showing him, well, that’s just cowardly.

12 minutes ago, Locutus said:

I just don’t see the point of having the Enterprise, having Pike, and then cop-out of showing Spock.  Especially with all that is there to mine with his relationship to Burnham.

Most viewers, myself included, will be seriously disappointed if they don’t have Spock.  Personally, I’m pretty nervous about the casting unless it is Zach Quinto.  I’ve come to accept him as Spock with Nimoy’s blessing.  To have yet another actor play him would be risky.  But if they entirely shy away from showing him, well, that’s just cowardly.

Most viewers?  That's certainly possible, but I've actually heard a number of other people hope that they don't show Spock, so I wonder what a poll would say.

I think if they show Spock, it will take a lot of the luster away from Burnham, and since they want the show to be about her, I think Discovery's showrunners might well shy away from putting Spock in it.

I think exploring Burnham's relationship with Spock might well happen in the tie-in novels, rather than in the show itself.

17 minutes ago, Locutus said:

Most viewers, myself included, will be seriously disappointed if they don’t have Spock.  Personally, I’m pretty nervous about the casting unless it is Zach Quinto.  I’ve come to accept him as Spock with Nimoy’s blessing.  

I don’t really see a reason why Greenwood and Quinto couldn’t be coaxed back into those roles.   Both have done TV before and since Star Trek, so really why not?

What I don’t want to see is DSC being sidetracked by classic Trek characters; I don’t mind them in a one-off episode (much like TNG’s “Sarek” “Unification” or “Relics”) but I don’t want to see DSC’s crew having to share their spotlight for too long on their own show.  I’d love it don once or even as a two-parter, but no more than that.

2 hours ago, Corylea said:

Yes, but if they take it away from her, SHE can't use it, so the threat that's keeping them under her rule is gone.  Once that threat is gone, they can go back to business as usual, which was apparently carving up the Federation as spoils of war for the various houses.

A good point, but it’s also possible that L’Rell might just settle into the role and becomes a really good leader whom they come to admire and respect.   Maybe her forceful means of acquiring power was also seen as bold and honorable, too.   Just saying.

19 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I don’t really see a reason why Greenwood and Quinto couldn’t be coaxed back into those roles.

Who's to say that this universe's Pike isn't that age?

I, for one, would be happy to see either one of them there. Quinto had Nimoy's genuine approval and I really liked Greenwood's Pike.

4 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Who's to say that this universe's Pike isn't that age?

I, for one, would be happy to see either one of them there. Quinto had Nimoy's genuine approval and I really liked Greenwood's Pike.

And even if Pike is supposed to be younger, it doesn’t matter.

This show takes place roughly in the same timeframe as the first two JJ Abrams’ movies (the late 2250s) so with a bit of extra makeup, Greenwood could easily look five years younger.  

And you’re absolutely right about this being another alternate universe.

I think the Klingon-war-that-was-never-mentioned-again, the spore drive (similarly never referred to again) and the new slicked up USS Enterprise clearly establishes (for you and I, at least) that DSC is indeed a variation of the prime timeline, but not the actual TOS version of the prime timeline. 

4 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

And even if Pike is supposed to be younger, it doesn’t matter.

This show takes place roughly in the same timeframe as the first two JJ Abrams’ movies (the late 2250s) so with a bit of extra makeup, Greenwood could easily look five years younger.  

And you’re absolutely right about this being another alternate universe.

I think the Klingon-war-that-was-never-mentioned-again, the spore drive (similarly never referred to again) and the new slicked up USS Enterprise clearly establishes (for you and I, at least) that DSC is indeed a variation of the prime timeline, but not the actual TOS version of the prime timeline. 

And you're probably right that Cochrane and First Contact is where the road forks. I mean, you may well be able to isolate it down to the third man that was supposed to be in the capsule, in the spot that Riker took. Riker didn't really need to go because Riker was special or something. He performed functions, so someone was meant to be there, and I doubt that, with resources being scarce, Cochrane would have bothered having a third seat in there unless it mattered.

Who was this person, that I presume died in the Borg shelling? What did they not get to do? What did their now non-existent decedents do that shaped things into the original TOS timeline?  

9 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Once more...

DVzeJK6UMAE6X5M.jpg:large

Eq0I60g.gif

Oh, the ship porn.  That was just what I needed...;)

That is now my wallpaper...and it's purdy.

4 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Exactly.

ent.jpg

I think though, as I've said before you could take the original color pallete of the Pike era:

image.thumb.png.743e42935dd2413d0ad8a8177e50e105.png

and update the basic layout with in a way that makes it gel with Discovery's look.  The monitors can be more animated, the buttons can be buttons but not look as cheap.  Instead of matte painted wood meant to look grey and metal...use proper materials that make it all less cheap feeling, but still evoke that classic look. Discovery has a lot of hard lines and corners, it isn't round and smooth...even the Captain's chair maintains a similar shape.  While I don't want to see the cheap set perfectly recreated...I do believe you can make this basic design and layout work in a modern way, better materials. You can keep buttons for all I care. I like buttons. 

Cracked iPhone screens and touchscreens that act finicky (I pressed YES you credit card machine let me out of here I hate you self check out line!!!!) make me often miss buttons.  I think you can have buttons AND touchscreens thrown into the Enterprise's bridge and it could easily work visually. 

Also there was some out of focus people during that Burnham speech that really reminded me of THESE uniforms in the blue.  Anyone else notice that? 

The only way that the plan with the Klingon works is politics. The war was started with the young leaders against the wishes of the old guard, the religious leaders, the minor houses etc. The wiser older Klingons wanted war just as much as the younger ones did but they knew that if they went to war now the Klingons would fragment like they always do and they'd end up with a civil war with 12 different sides all fighting each other to the death. 

L'Rell was useful. She had the religious angle that they could use. They'll use her until the major houses can get their act together and then push her out.

And put me in the camp that doesn't want to see Spock. Or maybe use him as the McGuffin. Spock and the landing party are missing and the Enterprise needs help to rescue them. When they finally rescue him he is badly hurt and says maybe one or two words and is hauled off to sick bay. So we see him but he doesn't get to do much. 

2 minutes ago, kenman said:

I think though, as I've said before you could take the original color pallete of the Pike era:

and update the basic layout with in a way that makes it gel with Discovery's look.  The monitors can be more animated, the buttons can be buttons but not look as cheap.  Instead of matte painted wood meant to look grey and metal...use proper materials that make it all less cheap feeling, but still evoke that classic look. Discovery has a lot of hard lines and corners, it isn't round and smooth...even the Captain's chair maintains a similar shape.  While I don't want to see the cheap set perfectly recreated...I do believe you can make this basic design and layout work in a modern way, better materials. You can keep buttons for all I care. I like buttons. 

Cracked iPhone screens and touchscreens that act finicky (I pressed YES you credit card machine let me out of here I hate you self check out line!!!!) make me often miss buttons.  I think you can have buttons AND touchscreens thrown into the Enterprise's bridge and it could easily work visually. 

Also there was some out of focus people during that Burnham speech that really reminded me of THESE uniforms in the blue.  Anyone else notice that? 

Put a couple of aliens on the bridge that can't use touch screens. A feline that uses its claws would work better with buttons. It seems to me that the basic layout doesn't look that outdated. Maybe the buttons are more like mouse buttons that can fine tune individual controls. The operator can spin them until their at the right setting and then push. Having individual controls might be better than a touch screen that might not work in battle if the operator has blood on their hands.  Even the lamp things could have a view screen attached and show someone adjusting them. Maybe have a really short alien navigator replaced with a really tall navigator. Don't explain it. Show the people using it in the background. 

With imagination, you could make controls that kind of look like these controls and show people using them differently than TOS did. 

17 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

I mean, you may well be able to isolate it down to the third man that was supposed to be in the capsule, in the spot that Riker took. Riker didn't really need to go because Riker was special or something. He performed functions, so someone was meant to be there, and I doubt that, with resources being scarce, Cochrane would have bothered having a third seat in there unless it mattered.

Who was this person, that I presume died in the Borg shelling? What did they not get to do? What did their now non-existent decedents do that shaped things into the original TOS timeline?  

Lily Sloane was supposed to go up, but didn’t; one has to wonder how that threw off future ST history.  Not to mention all the ground crew that were killed.  Sure their deaths had ripple effects to some degree(s).

19 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Maybe they were that one person who insisted on tape technology for use in starships of the future...and a return of the 5.5 inch floppy disc. :giggle:

After they were killed, the warp program went digital.  :P

10 minutes ago, kenman said:

^
Much of this.  

The metal/black color palette of “The Cage”’s bridge could easily fit into DSC’s era, and I too, believe it could be imaginatively updated.

If the Pike-era Enterprise interiors are shown?  I’m guessing that, for production practicality purposes, they’ll probably just (extensively) redress the Disco sets. 

12 minutes ago, scenario said:

The only way that the plan with the Klingon works is politics. The war was started with the young leaders against the wishes of the old guard, the religious leaders, the minor houses etc. The wiser older Klingons wanted war just as much as the younger ones did but they knew that if they went to war now the Klingons would fragment like they always do and they'd end up with a civil war with 12 different sides all fighting each other to the death. 

L'Rell was useful. She had the religious angle that they could use. They'll use her until the major houses can get their act together and then push her out.

And put me in the camp that doesn't want to see Spock. Or maybe use him as the McGuffin. Spock and the landing party are missing and the Enterprise needs help to rescue them. When they finally rescue him he is badly hurt and says maybe one or two words and is hauled off to sick bay. So we see him but he doesn't get to do much. 

Put a couple of aliens on the bridge that can't use touch screens. A feline that uses its claws would work better with buttons. It seems to me that the basic layout doesn't look that outdated. Maybe the buttons are more like mouse buttons that can fine tune individual controls. The operator can spin them until their at the right setting and then push. Having individual controls might be better than a touch screen that might not work in battle if the operator has blood on their hands.  Even the lamp things could have a view screen attached and show someone adjusting them. Maybe have a really short alien navigator replaced with a really tall navigator. Don't explain it. Show the people using it in the background. 

With imagination, you could make controls that kind of look like these controls and show people using them differently than TOS did. 

Buttons that have multiple uses via a spin or something, I like that.  Think of them as a thousand little touch screens, a bunch of apple watch like devices that have a minimum usage because you don't want a big ol touchscreen and be on the wrong page or layout when you need to fire a photon torpedo all of a sudden. It's taking what is in the original, and giving it a more modern touch or approach. 

I also think a touchscreen may not be apt for EVERY species.  Who's to say Lt. Arex doesn't have the wrong textured hands for the average touchscreen.  Or that M'Ress' paws struggle with such a device.  If you think outside of human terms, touchscreens may be fairly problematic for a wide variety of species.