Sign in to follow this  
Enterprise Discovery

Episode 1.15 “Will You Take My Hand?” Discussion Thread

The last episode of Season 1 of Star Trek: Discovery. I didn't see another place to discuss this episode specifically. Anyway, I feel like the prime reality Lorca will show up at the end of the episode with the mirror Burnham. I hope that Saru gets to lead the ship, again during the episode.

I think so many expect Prime Lorca...and I have this gut feeling that he is gone for now.  I could be wrong, I initially assumed he'd return in some form...but right now I feel like they are going to wrap up the Klingon War and wrap up Georgiou, Saru may very well get the command...and Lorca won't be seen.  They already killed one Captain and resurrected her via a mirror counterpart, so I just feel they aren't doing it twice. Not yet anyhow.  I think Lorca is out for the season, not that he can't return at some point, but I just have this feeling that we expect it and it won't happen. 

But I'd be fine to be wrong. 

1 hour ago, kenman said:

I think so many expect Prime Lorca...and I have this gut feeling that he is gone for now.  I could be wrong, I initially assumed he'd return in some form...but right now I feel like they are going to wrap up the Klingon War and wrap up Georgiou, Saru may very well get the command...and Lorca won't be seen.  They already killed one Captain and resurrected her via a mirror counterpart, so I just feel they aren't doing it twice. Not yet anyhow.  I think Lorca is out for the season, not that he can't return at some point, but I just have this feeling that we expect it and it won't happen. 

But I'd be fine to be wrong. 

That's very possibly, but fans expected Tyler to be Voq and Lorca to be from the mirror universe. Both of those happened. Who knows? I'm looking forward to seeing how the season ends.

I don’t think Prime Lorca is coming back so soon, but maybe in another year or so.   I could be wrong as well.

5 hours ago, Enterprise Discovery said:

That's very possibly, but fans expected Tyler to be Voq and Lorca to be from the mirror universe. Both of those happened. Who knows? I'm looking forward to seeing how the season ends.

We all did it’s true, but in the same way I had a strong feeling about Lorca being a mirror, I kind of have the same strong sense that he is not returning so quickly. I think they are going to keep the focus on Burnham and Georgiou for the finale. 

2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I don’t think Prime Lorca is coming back so soon, but maybe in another year or so.   I could be wrong as well.

2 hours ago, kenman said:

We all did it’s true, but in the same way I had a strong feeling about Lorca being a mirror, I kind of have the same strong sense that he is not returning so quickly. I think they are going to keep the focus on Burnham and Georgiou for the finale. 

We'll know soon enough. Any thoughts on if we'll see the Enterprise, Kirk, Pike and/or Spock? I know that Pike and Spock would be on the Enterprise and Kirk would be on the Farragut at this point, but it'd be interesting if any of them appeared.

13 minutes ago, Enterprise Discovery said:

We'll know soon enough. Any thoughts on if we'll see the Enterprise, Kirk, Pike and/or Spock? I know that Pike and Spock would be on the Enterprise and Kirk would be on the Farragut at this point, but it'd be interesting if any of them appeared.

At some point...if I have to put my own money on it, you might see Pike someday. Or maybe the likes of Decker. I actually like that idea to show off what the man was like in his prime.

But I doubt you will ever see Kirk and/or Spock, even though Spock would be more likely.

I still don't understand why Burnam is/for some reason had to be Spock's sister. From a story standpoint, I don't see why it's relevant.

I'm not going to be one to knock the timeframe they chose, but I have yet to see ANYTHING in the series at this point that couldn't have been done almost EXACTLY as now 20 years post-Nemesis.

Vulcan Ambassador Sevek has a human ward. Klingon Alliance has fallen and the great Houses have fragmented. Further Augment experimentation has changed the species yet again. T'Kuvma tries to reunite the Houses, Burnam accidentally starts a war and ends up on Discovery.

There's, so far, NOTHING that matters that's happened that means it HAS to take place pre-"The Cage."

Edited by prometheus59650

5 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

At some point...if I have to put my own money on it, you might see Pike someday. Or maybe the likes of Decker. I actually like that idea to show off what the man was like in his prime.

But I doubt you will ever see Kirk and/or Spock, even though Spock would be more likely.

I still don't understand why Burnam is/for some reason had to be Spock's sister. From a story standpoint, I don't see why it's relevant.

I'm not going to be one to knock the timeframe they chose, but I have yet to see ANYTHING in the series at this point that couldn't have been done almost EXACTLY as now 20 years post-Nemesis.

Vulcan Ambassador Sevek has a human ward. Klingon Alliance has fallen and the great Houses have fragmented. Further Augment experimentation has changed the species yet again. T'Kuvma tries to reunite the Houses, Burnam accidentally starts a war and ends up on Discovery.

There's, so far, NOTHING that matters that's happened that means it HAS to take place pre-"The Cage."

The only thing is that the Mirror Universe is still under the Terran Empire which post 24th Century wouldn't be the case...but you throw in a line that they've risen back to power...it all works.  You're right, it doesn't really make sense that they set it when they did.  It is what it is...so I can go with it, particularly since the show is some of the more entertaining and interesting Trek since DS9 ended.

As to the question as to whether or not we will see the Enterprise and Pike or anything?  I think it is possible, I wouldn't be surprised if the final image of the season is seeing that ship, as an enticement to bring fans back next season.  A little tease that we may see more of the original ship?  That may keep many a fan intrigued to return.  Especially if they wrap up their major storylines, seeing that original ship would be a tease that has little to do with the current plot but gives fans some kind of last moment tease to return. 

1 hour ago, kenman said:

..but you throw in a line that they've risen back to power...i

They overthrew the Alliance, celebrated for a while, learned absolutely nothing, and went back to the old ways.

Wouldn't be the first, or even the millionth time human didn't learn from their mistakes.

51 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

They overthrew the Alliance, celebrated for a while, learned absolutely nothing, and went back to the old ways.

Wouldn't be the first, or even the millionth time human didn't learn from their mistakes.

Exactly.  In a lot of ways I think this show would work better if it wasn't trying to set itself within established continuity instead of just plowing forward into the future. But like you say, it isn't ruining anything for me.

I wouldn't be surprised if they put something in at the end that hinted that Lorca was alive. Like showing someone from the back that looks like Lorca in one of the last shots.

I understand why they made it a prequel. You've got a person in their twenties who likes Star Wars and the Marvel movies and most SF stuff like that. But they're interested in something that's more than special effects and fireworks. They hear about the new ST. Now they've never watched ST, they've only heard that it's pretty good. For this person, ST is Spock, and to a lesser extent Kirk, and Sulu (because they know about George Takei) and vaguely about the rest. To them ST is Spock. Having a connection to Spock may be the difference between giving it a shot and saying, meh, not worth it.  They want to attract people who've heard of Trek but have never actually watched it because they outnumber fans a thousand to one. 

Honestly, if you've got a person in their 20s, it's more likely that the Kelvin timeline or ENT, or VOY.

I'm not sure what would drive them to sample it, if you think Spock is the metric since he's not in it and the producers have said he's not likely to appear.

I think that if the Enterprise arrives on the series, that it'd be great if the interior of the ship and the costumes looked the Star Trek: The Original Series. That might help some fans who have a problem with the differences. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine did it for an episode, after all, even though it was during the events of an episode from the first series.

To expand on my earlier thought, it'd be interesting if prime reality Lorca and mirror Burnham beamed aboard in the transported room, with the Discovery's crew wondering what is beaming aboard and suddenly there's Lorca and another Burnham. That seems like an interesting final scene to me. That, or as has been guessed, the Enterprise.

Either that, or the Discovery jumps somewhere to leave the series on a cliffhanger. Maybe it jumps to after the events of Star Trek, the film, where the prime Spock came back in time from. Riker could show up on the Titan. Another interesting way to end the season. Maybe the ship even jumps to the alternate reality and we get a cameo from that universe's Enterprise crew, since the Discovery has that capability.

So many possibilities.

8 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

^
Very much this.  All of it.

10 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

The only storyline reasons that I could see for setting it in the 2250's was that the cloaking device was a new technology, which would make the Klingon successes in the war make sense. Of course, post Voyager the Klingons were close allies so a war with them would have to be explained. The other reason was to have that tangential connection to Spock through Micheal. 

It wouldn't take much effort to come up with some new technology for the Klingons which would tip the scales in their favor. It wouldn't be too hard to come up with some reason for the Klingons to turn on the Federation post Dominion War, maybe jealousy over division of the spoils? 

As for the connection to Spock, if they can come up with a long lost adopted sister, a son or daughter of Spock wouldn't be too hard to explain away. I view this connection as a crutch, there is so much more to the Star Trek universe than that one iconic character. I think it's a bit awkward too, because why would Spock have never mentioned his famous adopted sister? 

Not only could this same story have been told post Nemesis, I'd argue that they would have had to do less back-flips to make it work. I'm still puzzled by the decision. 

2 minutes ago, Hammer said:

The only storyline reasons that I could see for setting it in the 2250's was that the cloaking device was a new technology

New "Pegasus"-style phasing cloaks with some technobabble as to why theirs are different enough from that prototype so that Starfleet can't quickly counter it. Indeed, it actually makes sense to me to push research on the mycelial network as a means to track them.

7 minutes ago, Hammer said:

Of course, post Voyager the Klingons were close allies so a war with them would have to be explained.

Fresh Augment research strained relations with the Federation. An augmentation race between Houses fractures the Empire into its constituent Houses, thereby dissolving the Alliance by default. The Federation wouldn't side with one or several Houses over others, so it's done. Several Houses over the years have attacked the Federation in the hopes of gaining the original research. Tensions have been high ever since. 

Klingons have really often only been fair weather allies to begin with.

13 minutes ago, Hammer said:

The other reason was to have that tangential connection to Spock through Micheal. 

Which has, so far proven as valuable to the story as the fact that my favorite color is red.

There's just no reason to put the show where they did. Maybe it'll make sense by episode 90, but not now.

8 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

New "Pegasus"-style phasing cloaks with some technobabble as to why theirs are different enough from that prototype so that Starfleet can't quickly counter it. Indeed, it actually makes sense to me to push research on the mycelial network as a means to track them.

Fresh Augment research strained relations with the Federation. An augmentation race between Houses fractures the Empire into its constituent Houses, thereby dissolving the Alliance by default. The Federation wouldn't side with one or several Houses over others, so it's done. Several Houses over the years have attacked the Federation in the hopes of gaining the original research. Tensions have been high ever since. 

Klingons have really often only been fair weather allies to begin with.

Which has, so far proven as valuable to the story as the fact that my favorite color is red.

There's just no reason to put the show where they did. Maybe it'll make sense by episode 90, but not now.

^
Again, this.

I think there was a feeling that Star Trek needed to recapture the TOS audience by having familiar Trek names like Sarek and Harry Mudd, but the problem is that they’re using these classic characters in ways that aren’t necessarily germane to those characters.  Sarek is acting more like VGR’s Tuvok (esp. in the latest episode), and Mudd almost seemed as threatening as Khan in “Magic to Make...”

These classic characters could just as well have been new characters in a post-24th century version of Star Trek, or an openly alternate universe Trek (which is how I see it anyway, despite protestations to the contrary by the writers/producers).

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

.  Sarek is acting more like VGR’s Tuvok (esp. in the latest episode), and Mudd almost seemed as threatening as Khan in “Magic to Make...”

This Mudd had his crap together in ways that the original couldn't even if you upped his IQ by 50 points.

They could have made this Mudd a descendant. The great great great (add however many greats necessary) grandson of Harry Mudd, showing how the Mudd family has progressed deeper into a state of sinister people who are in league with dark forces by now and are no longer like Harry Mudd. That would have given them a perfect explanation for this Mudd’s behavior, which was indeed exactly nothing like the Harry Mudd we know. 

It is quite true - their entire show could and would have made perfect sense as a way-post-Nemesis series, you would only have to modify some of it slightly. It’s a gigantic missed opportunity. If they had HAD to have the TOS era, they could always have time traveled there (and then perhaps have made a better effort at convincing the fans by using more familiar sets, like ENT did in its Mirror Universe episodes). 

They keep saying that setting things post Nemesis is so complicated and whatnot, but in reality they have already MADE such a show. 

2 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

They could have made this Mudd a descendant. The great great great (add however many greats necessary) grandson of Harry Mudd, showing how the Mudd family has progressed deeper into a state of sinister people who are in league with dark forces by now and are no longer like Harry Mudd. That would have given them a perfect explanation for this Mudd’s behavior, which was indeed exactly nothing like the Harry Mudd we know. 

It is quite true - their entire show could and would have made perfect sense as a way-post-Nemesis series, you would only have to modify some of it slightly. It’s a gigantic missed opportunity. If they had HAD to have the TOS era, they could always have time traveled there (and then perhaps have made a better effort at convincing the fans by using more familiar sets, like ENT did in its Mirror Universe episodes). 

They keep saying that setting things post Nemesis is so complicated and whatnot, but in reality they have already MADE such a show. 

They really have.

For all intent and purposes, the technology on the show is definitely post-VGR.   They commonly use holography (a ‘new’ comm system in DS9), virtual reality, they have (pre-Borg) cybernetically enhanced crew members, etc.  

6 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

This Mudd had his crap together in ways that the original couldn't even if you upped his IQ by 50 points.

I thought he was well-played in “Choose Your Pain”; he was nothing but a loser who lost.  That’s Mudd in a nutshell.

The only times Mudd ‘succeeded’ in TOS was by blind luck (his women’s artificial attractiveness, finding a planet full of obedient androids, etc), and not by any innate hacking skills or genius.   And if he were as dangerous as we saw in “Magic...” there would’ve been a galaxy-wide warrant on his a$$.   Khan took over the Enterprise and got exiled to Ceti Alpha V (a controversial decision, but the alternative was prison).   Mudd gets released to... his in-laws?!?

Mr. Picard is right in that he could’ve easily been a descendent of Mudd’s and it would’ve worked just as well.   

But again, maybe there’s some ‘big reason’ why the show is set TOS that we’re going to discover (NPI) later on, I dunno.   Either way, I’m enjoying the show for what it is in my head canon; an alternate reality to TOS ST that is very entertaining, even if grossly inconsistent with what happens in ten years...

5 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

They really have.

For all intent and purposes, the technology on the show is definitely post-VGR.   They commonly use holography (a ‘new’ comm system in DS9), virtual reality, they have (pre-Borg) cybernetically enhanced crew members, etc.  

I thought he was well-played in “Choose Your Pain”; he was nothing but a loser who lost.  That’s Mudd in a nutshell.

The only times Mudd ‘succeeded’ in TOS was by blind luck (his women’s artificial attractiveness, finding a planet full of obedient androids, etc), and not by any innate hacking skills or genius.   And if he were as dangerous as we saw in “Magic...” there would’ve been a galaxy-wide warrant on his a$$.   Khan took over the Enterprise and got exiled to Ceti Alpha V (a controversial decision, but the alternative was prison).   Mudd gets released to... his in-laws?!?

Mr. Picard is right in that he could’ve easily been a descendent of Mudd’s and it would’ve worked just as well.   

But again, maybe there’s some ‘big reason’ why the show is set TOS that we’re going to discover (NPI) later on, I dunno.   Either way, I’m enjoying the show for what it is in my head canon; an alternate reality to TOS ST that is very entertaining, even if grossly inconsistent with what happens in ten years...

Mudd had blind luck on his side here too. He found an alien gadget that let him do something over and over and over again until he got it right. If I could have an automatic reset button, I'd never lose. TOS Mudd is the beaten down by time version of Mudd. 

44 minutes ago, scenario said:

Mudd had blind luck on his side here too. He found an alien gadget that let him do something over and over and over again until he got it right. If I could have an automatic reset button, I'd never lose. TOS Mudd is the beaten down by time version of Mudd. 

But all the information he gained, and his ability to hack and manipulate a starship’s systems made him far more dangerous than Space Pimp Mudd.   He wouldn’t have been remanded to the custody of his family if it weren’t for a half-hearted attempt at maintaining TOS consistency.

1 minute ago, Sehlat Vie said:

But all the information he gained, and his ability to hack and manipulate a starship’s systems made him far more dangerous than Space Pimp Mudd.   He wouldn’t have been remanded to the custody of his family if it weren’t for a half-hearted attempt at maintaining TOS consistency.

Old argument. Lorca handed him over to mafia dad. I believed that Lorca expected that he would be dead in a year or so as soon as the wife got tired of him.

I know people who were hot shots at thirty, burned out by 40. TOS Mudd was burned out and on the run from mafia dad and the law. His darling wife couldn't put up with his bs anymore and became the shrew in TOS. By this time, he just wanted to get enough money to live in reasonable comfort, somewhere. He doesn't have the energy, desire or alien gadget for the big scam anymore. He just wants enough money to be comfortable. 

He could hack and manipulate a starship's system when he had the alien gadget and ship. I'm sure ships codes change on a regular basis. He got all the codes he needed at one point in time. If he had left and came back in a month his plan would not have worked because some or all of the codes would have changed. A few months locked away with his wife and the information he had would be almost worthless and he'd have no way to get it back because he had lost the one of a kind alien gadget. 

His big super Mudd style came from one super gadget that gave him the ability to steal lots of money. Without it, he goes back to a small time thief. 

With serialized shows, how the story ends becomes just as important as the journey to that end. If all the story and character threads woven through the 14 episodes do not end up amounting to anything in the 15th, if some of those threads were just plot contrivances to juice up the drama or action, the whole story will be less compelling. This is my fear as we go into the end of season 1. I've compiled a list of these plot contrivances from the first half of season 1 in a blog and podcast. Some of them pay off and are clearly worth it, while others don't, mostly the Klingon stuff.  

A few points of concern:

The Klingon war ends in episode 15. Will the payoff  make it worthwhile? All loss of life, all the minutes of screen time, all the fan consternation about canon--will the resolution and its impact on our characters make us think that it was time well spent? Or will it just feel like the writers did it just to make it easier to drop in space battles every couple episodes?

Tyler/Voq. Was his storyline basically resolved in episode 14, or is there more to L'Rell's plan? It would feel like a lost opportunity (for us and L'Rell and Voq) if they went through all that they did: falling in love, sacrificing Voq's body and then his mind, kidnap Lorca to get Voq on DISCO, getting L'Rell onto DISCO, and after all of that literally not one aspect of L'Rell's grand plan worked? All of that, just so the show could have what is essentially a normal human character with repressed Klingon memories as part of the regular crew? This is why I suspect--hope--that L'Rell's compliance over the last few episodes has been a fake out and she will in the end get part of what she set out to accomplish in the finale. 

Burnham. Since future seasons will likely go off in other directions, the matter of whether or not she bears responsibility for starting the war in the eyes of herself and Starfleet needs to be resolved now. Will they be able to pull this off? If she ends the war, will that absolve her? Hard to imagine that if you are predisposed to believe she is fully responsible (i'm not, but many in Starfleet are) that after all the death you would just be cool with her. How will she feel? I think she said in the last episode that she started the war. What will be her state of mind at the end of the war?

There are many bright spots from season 1. The spore drive/tardigrade/Stamets storyline was well done and had a good payoff, though its resolution is many seasons in the future. The Lorcca/Mirror Universe stuff comes close to my concerns about L'Rell (Lorcas grand plan did not exactly pay off) but the action and the themes were so good that we forgive the plot contrivance. The Saru and Tilly arcs were also excellent. All in all it has been a good ride, but the Klingon element has been the main thrust and it is arguably the weakest element. Until Ep 14 they were kind of dumb (Koll), ineffectual (L'Rell, Voq, Koll), with a tendency to get killed (TKuvma, Kol, Voq). In Ep 14 they became both interesting and effective--but it was the second to last episode and we did not see a single Klingon ship, only heard about them. Will the final 40-50 minutes make it all worth while? It's a tall order.              

One prediction (caveat--most of mine have been wrong): the season will not end on a cliffhanger. I suspect they will take the DS9 approach or resolving the serialized arc so they can start a fresh one next season. Not everyting will be resolved, like if Saru is captain of the DISCO. The writers will leave themselves some time to set the table for season 2.  

17 minutes ago, Justin Snead said:

With serialized shows, how the story ends becomes just as important as the journey to that end. If all the story and character threads woven through the 14 episodes do not end up amounting to anything in the 15th, if some of those threads were just plot contrivances to juice up the drama or action, the whole story will be less compelling. This is my fear as we go into the end of season 1. I've compiled a list of these plot contrivances from the first half of season 1 in a blog and podcast. Some of them pay off and are clearly worth it, while others don't, mostly the Klingon stuff.  

A few points of concern:

The Klingon war ends in episode 15. Will the payoff  make it worthwhile? All loss of life, all the minutes of screen time, all the fan consternation about canon--will the resolution and its impact on our characters make us think that it was time well spent? Or will it just feel like the writers did it just to make it easier to drop in space battles every couple episodes?

Tyler/Voq. Was his storyline basically resolved in episode 14, or is there more to L'Rell's plan? It would feel like a lost opportunity (for us and L'Rell and Voq) if they went through all that they did: falling in love, sacrificing Voq's body and then his mind, kidnap Lorca to get Voq on DISCO, getting L'Rell onto DISCO, and after all of that literally not one aspect of L'Rell's grand plan worked? All of that, just so the show could have what is essentially a normal human character with repressed Klingon memories as part of the regular crew? This is why I suspect--hope--that L'Rell's compliance over the last few episodes has been a fake out and she will in the end get part of what she set out to accomplish in the finale. 

Burnham. Since future seasons will likely go off in other directions, the matter of whether or not she bears responsibility for starting the war in the eyes of herself and Starfleet needs to be resolved now. Will they be able to pull this off? If she ends the war, will that absolve her? Hard to imagine that if you are predisposed to believe she is fully responsible (i'm not, but many in Starfleet are) that after all the death you would just be cool with her. How will she feel? I think she said in the last episode that she started the war. What will be her state of mind at the end of the war?

There are many bright spots from season 1. The spore drive/tardigrade/Stamets storyline was well done and had a good payoff, though its resolution is many seasons in the future. The Lorcca/Mirror Universe stuff comes close to my concerns about L'Rell (Lorcas grand plan did not exactly pay off) but the action and the themes were so good that we forgive the plot contrivance. The Saru and Tilly arcs were also excellent. All in all it has been a good ride, but the Klingon element has been the main thrust and it is arguably the weakest element. Until Ep 14 they were kind of dumb (Koll), ineffectual (L'Rell, Voq, Koll), with a tendency to get killed (TKuvma, Kol, Voq). In Ep 14 they became both interesting and effective--but it was the second to last episode and we did not see a single Klingon ship, only heard about them. Will the final 40-50 minutes make it all worth while? It's a tall order.              

One prediction (caveat--most of mine have been wrong): the season will not end on a cliffhanger. I suspect they will take the DS9 approach or resolving the serialized arc so they can start a fresh one next season. Not everyting will be resolved, like if Saru is captain of the DISCO. The writers will leave themselves some time to set the table for season 2.  

Interesting theories. With a series like this, the possibilities make it very difficult to guess the ending to an episode and now, a season. Sometimes, I feel like it'll end on a cliffhanger and sometimes, I feel like it won't. Obviously, we can only guess, but it's still great to have a series that can bring up so many different discussions. I have a feeling that it'll be a good season finale, but I don't think that everything will be wrapped up, yet.