Sign in to follow this  
Maltz

Theory on the Klingon redesign

Recommended Posts

My personal theory on the radical redesign of the Klingons on the show is that, in-universe, it is the result of an attempt to cure the QuchHa'  (Unhappy Ones) taint introduced in ENT "Affliction/Divergence." While those administered with the treatment regained many of their Klingon features, it also had the side-effect of introducing a number of new genetic traits, but was still seen as an improvement, so it was accepted. By the time of DIS, it's become very popular within the Great Houses, even those not originally afflicted with the augment virus. Most offspring born to Klingons of this new type possess the new features, however there are occasional flukes, so Klingons of the TMP-TNG-DS9 type and the TOS type are still born, and there are still plenty who did not accept the new treatment in the first place, so they're still around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be a good explination, but the only problem with it is there are no TOS style Klingons around at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dillkid said:

It would be a good explination, but the only problem with it is there are no TOS style Klingons around at all. 

Or any other kind, for that matter...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Maltz said:

Well we never saw any TMP-TNG types in TOS; doesn't meant there weren't any.

They couldn't afford Worf style Klingons in TOS though. Then can afford TOS style Klingons in Discovery however.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Maltz said:

Well we never saw any TMP-TNG types in TOS; doesn't meant there weren't any.

No, but as our own Robin Bland once pointed out, there was a Klingon holoconference of the Great Houses early in the season and they ALL had the redesign look.

I just chalk it up to more money in the budget for makeup, that’s all.   We’re supposed to retroactively accept that all Klingons look more like this now (and always have, I suppose?), and that Federation starships of the 2250s now look sleeker and more advanced than their 24th century counterparts, warp drive looks more like Star Wars’ hyperspace, etc. 

It’s a different interpretation of Star Trek, and it’s really just as simple as that.   As Admiral Kirk says, “Young minds, fresh ideas.  Be tolerant.” 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If that is the solution, the show is wrong.

3 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

No, but as our own Robin Bland once pointed out, there was a Klingon holoconference of the Great Houses early in the season and they ALL had the redesign look.

I just chalk it up to more money in the budget for makeup, that’s all.   We’re supposed to retroactively accept that all Klingons look more like this now (and always have, I suppose?), and that Federation starships of the 2250s now look sleeker and more advanced than their 24th century counterparts, warp drive looks more like Star Wars’ hyperspace, etc. 

It’s a different interpretation of Star Trek, and it’s really just as simple as that.   As Admiral Kirk says, “Young minds, fresh ideas.  Be tolerant.” 

It is not part of prime continuity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Maltz said:

If that is the solution, the show is wrong.

It is not part of prime continuity.

That’s kinda my point; it is, and it isn’t.  It’s just another corner of the greater ST multiverse, that’s all.   Some events will synch up with TOS, others won’t.

And, like you said, maybe in the Disco-verse (new name I just coined...hehe), maybe the Klingons DID try some kind of drastic counter-genetic engineering to reverse the augment virus that caused their human-looking ‘deformities' of later ENT and TOS.    Frankly, that’s as good a theory as any.  But it just falls apart when you try to apply it to all of ST lore.  

However, as an explanation for THIS universe?  It works perfectly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bear in mind, the 24 Great Houses that make up the High Council at the time of DIS do not comprise the entirety of the Klingon Empire. There are dozens of minor Houses, a number of which may not share the same characteristics as the main Houses on the Council. This new look is a "fad" that is extremely popular with the majority of Klingons. Even among the Great Houses there may be some members who don't have the new look, but they are not particularly prominent at this moment in time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maltz said:

Bear in mind, the 24 Great Houses that make up the High Council at the time of DIS do not comprise the entirety of the Klingon Empire. There are dozens of minor Houses, a number of which may not share the same characteristics as the main Houses on the Council. This new look is a "fad" that is extremely popular with the majority of Klingons. Even among the Great Houses there may be some members who don't have the new look, but they are not particularly prominent at this moment in time.

That’s one extreme fad, though.

And it was my understanding that the Great Houses are a large cross-section of Klingon nobility; sure ONE or TWO of them would’ve bucked this trend...?

It also doesn’t explain why NONE of the Klingons we see in TOS don’t have this look when it’s only ten years later.

I chalk it up to new Trek, new ideas.   Simple as that.  Same reason the pre-TOS Discovery has holographic communications (a ‘new’ thing in DS9) and a spore drive no one’s ever heard of or seen again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, anything could have happened in the years between DIS and TOS for the "new look" Klingons to have fallen out of favour. Side-effects could have cropped up which proved to be dangerous for the species, leading many to undergo reverse-treatment back to TMP and TOS types.

See, ENTERPRISE went to great lengths to explain the disparity between TOS Klingons and TNG Klingons. We cannot just ignore that and leave it to bigger budgets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And considering the embarrassment surrounding the QuchHa', it perhaps isn't that surprising that they would not be on the High Council.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Maltz said:

See, ENTERPRISE went to great lengths to explain the disparity between TOS Klingons and TNG Klingons. We cannot just ignore that and leave it to bigger budgets.

They did... but it took them 26 years between the new Klingon look in TMP and an ‘official’ explanation on ENT.

So if I waited that long for an official explanation for this new look?  I’ll very likely be worm-chow by then.  Not holding my breath.  Personally I’m just chalking it up to artistic/budgetary freedoms, the same thing I would’ve done if ENT never bothered to have a canonical explanation.  

Worf’s “It is a long story” quasi-explanation in DS9 was otherwise fine for me; it was enigmatic and humorous. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this