Sign in to follow this  
Capt. M.J. Tiber

"Star Trek: Secret of Vulcan Fury" Any chance of resurrection?

"Star Trek: Secret of Vulcan Fury" What will it's fate be?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Would you even want this story to be told?

• Yes. We've been waiting too long.
    • No. This project is unsalvageable.
  2. 2. What format would you want the story to be presented?

• Video Game (Original plan)
    • Novelization
    • Comic Book/Graphic Novel
    • Animated Feature

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 05/09/2018 at 06:00 PM

One of the longest unanswered questions in the history of Star Trek was "What led to the Vulcan and Romulan Separation?" That question had been asked for decades, by numerous Trekkies. In 1997, it was announced that this question would finally be answered in Interplay Software's next project for the franchise, Star Trek: Secret of Vulcan Fury. With a story by D.C. Fontana, voice direction by John Meredyth Lucas, and the voices of the entire original series cast, it sounded almost too good to be true. Interplay was even planning on utilizing facial motion capture to bring the original series characters to life looking the way we remembered seeing them on that show. Unfortunately, the game fell behind schedule due to technical difficulties and finally had the plug pulled in 1999. However, I really hope that there's a way for this project to be resurrected. Maybe Telltale Games would be willing to attempt it if they can gather every asset from Interplay's development on the game.

Edited by Capt. M.J. Tiber

I think it is HIGHLY HIGHLY unlikely at this point. I think the fact that they have all these recordings of the original cast, some of whom are now no longer with us would mean turning it into an animated feature for DVD a big profit game..."Starring the ORIGINAL CAST!!!" on the box would sell some numbers for fans.  Do it like they did those Adam West animated features...and you've got something fans would buy up. 

But I think rights issues and whether or not any of the voices are worthwhile or salvageable seems to be a big hindrance. I find it unlikely any of it will see the light of day, if even most of it still exists in any form.  YOu'd have to be a fool of a company to trash file recordings of the iconic cast...but who is to say the world is not full of fools.

Very likely you'll never see those assets in any form. They can't do a game without starting over because pretty much everything but the voice tracks are useless. The game would have to be rebuilt.

I think the best you might ever see is if the rights holder made a deal with Para/CBS for a comic or a book.

Yea video game seems out of the question. Animating the voices could maybe work...but who knows what they have. I think it will just be lost to time.

I can see this story being told as a novel.

I'd LOVE to see the game resurrected; but as far as the official franchise goes,  the best we can hope for is an episode in Star Trek Online or Star Trek Timelines.  Now if a fan took the bull by the horns, we might see this as a fan-created game; but since the game has been cancelled for 9 years, I believe any serious interest has waned.

Sign in to follow this