Sign in to follow this  
scenario

Falcon Heavy did it!!!!!

Recommended Posts

Watching the launch live was just so cool!  It just sent chills down my spine. T-minus 30 seconds. 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1. Watching it fly off the launchpad and the a few minutes later watching two two booster rockets landing perfectly side by side back on earth to be used again. Then you've got a manikin in a space suit driving a convertible tesla to Mars. With a plate on the dashboard saying Don't Panic.  I thought the idea of sending a car into solar orbit was lame but seeing it in action was just cool, so poetic. 

I kept thinking, Space, the final frontier...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately the center booster crashed into the drone ship but everything else was spectacular.  That’s one bad-ass booster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Mutai Sho-Rin said:

Unfortunately the center booster crashed into the drone ship but everything else was spectacular.  That’s one bad-ass booster. 

I just read that it crashed into the water at 300 mph a hundred meters from the ship because it ran out of fuel. Another report says that the boosters didn't fire. Hopefully the camera's survived the pieces of the booster that hit the ship. Either way, the main cargo is in orbit right where it should be and the side boosters both landed safely side by side right where they were supposed to. 

I just love the image of an astronaut driving a convertible in space to Mars. He'll never reach Mars and he'll fly round and round the sun for a billion years. It's just fun looking at a live feed of a sports car in space. It just doesn't feel real but it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The launch and recovery (of two of the three boosters) were the coolest things I’ve seen all week.  

While I kind of wish they’d launched a real scientific payload instead of a Tesla car?  

tumblr_mf66ezEOdv1rvjt2vo10_r1_250.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

The launch and recovery (of two of the three boosters) were the coolest things I’ve seen all week.  

While I kind of wish they’d launched a real scientific payload instead of a Tesla car?  

tumblr_mf66ezEOdv1rvjt2vo10_r1_250.gif

 

They didn't want to put a multimillion dollar satellite on top of a rocket that had a 50/50 chance of failing. It's like taking a passenger on Orville and Wilbur's test flight. 

They needed a test weight at the top of the rocket. It could have been a chunk of iron.

Come on, an astronaut driving a convertible to Mars. How much cooler can you get than that? Whimsical but cool. And they quoted Douglas Adams as well. How much nerdier can you get? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, scenario said:

They didn't want to put a multimillion dollar satellite on top of a rocket that had a 50/50 chance of failing. It's like taking a passenger on Orville and Wilbur's test flight. 

They needed a test weight at the top of the rocket. It could have been a chunk of iron.

Come on, an astronaut driving a convertible to Mars. How much cooler can you get than that? Whimsical but cool. And they quoted Douglas Adams as well. How much nerdier can you get? 

Which is why I gave it a personal pass...:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can just see an advert.

We'll move your stuff across country for half of what competition will. There is one catch. It's an experimental truck and there's a fifty fifty chance it will blow up along the way destroying all your stuff. And you probably won't be able to get insurance. But it will be cheap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Nombrecomun said:

Man!!! I totally enjoyed the landing of the boosters so much. It was perfect!!!

Except for the one that didn’t make it.... oh well, two out of three sure as hell isn’t bad. ;)

After all, it IS rocket science. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Except for the one that didn’t make it.... oh well, two out of three sure as hell isn’t bad. ;)

After all, it IS rocket science. 

I'm fine with that. They'll learn from it. The two landing was a thing of beauty. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now if Musk could get his companies to have a better H&S record...for the few minutes he'll still need a bunch of employees.

(/party-pooper)

:P

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Tupperfan said:

Now if Musk could get his companies to have a better H&S record...for the few minutes he'll still need a bunch of employees.

(/party-pooper)

:P

* cue Debbie Downer theme... * 

tumblr_naja6kH7uy1tc6r2fo1_400.gif  :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this